Jabs...old vs. new

• peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new animation is horrible, bring back the old one!
    When I was a kid, my little sister once had a meltdown because her store bought blowing bubbles got knocked over. My mother offered to make more with dish soap and she passionately cried "But it won't be the saaaaammmmeeeee!!!"

As a family we enjoy teasing her about this story.

But as an adult, with three kids of her own, she observed: "I stand by that. It wasn't the same."

And she's right. Sometimes original formula is better. Sometimes changes, no matter how well intended, flop because changes ... well ... CHANGE things. But it's the original that captured the hearts and minds of the people.

Don't mess with success. I really miss the old animation and I wish ZOS would bring it back.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    So... for those who don't mind the animation but hate the nerf; what are ppl using to replace jabs/sweeps?
    Options
  • xthrshx
    xthrshx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are spamming shards because an AOE DOT does more single target damage than a spammable for some reason.
    Options
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ClevaTreva wrote: »
    So... for those who don't mind the animation but hate the nerf; what are ppl using to replace jabs/sweeps?

Nothing, I'm not even trying to DPS anymore after U35 and am exclusively healing.
    Options
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    My tooltip says 3678 damage. Is that total or per strike?
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you want a conal attack; silver shards. Or you just go Dizzy stam for pvp.

As for mag?
    My tooltip says 3678 damage. Is that total or per strike?

Per strike. Or scoop as it is.
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on August 31, 2022 2:07PM
    Options
  • ClevaTreva
    ClevaTreva
    ✭✭✭
    Thx for clarifying
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why even play Templar now with the changes to jabs? It's so embarrassing that changes like this were made when there was no need for them. It's like ZOS set out to gimp templars for some reason. Not only does the new animation look really bad, I mean really bad, but the damage nerfs to the three main templar skills make templar a virtual NPC now. It's ridiculous and we still haven't heard why these changes were made when nobody asked for them in the first place.
    Options
  • SaffronCitrusflower
    SaffronCitrusflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    When I was a kid, my little sister once had a meltdown because her store bought blowing bubbles got knocked over. My mother offered to make more with dish soap and she passionately cried "But it won't be the saaaaammmmeeeee!!!"

As a family we enjoy teasing her about this story.

But as an adult, with three kids of her own, she observed: "I stand by that. It wasn't the same."

And she's right. Sometimes original formula is better. Sometimes changes, no matter how well intended, flop because changes ... well ... CHANGE things. But it's the original that captured the hearts and minds of the people.

Don't mess with success. I really miss the old animation and I wish ZOS would bring it back.

Totally off topic here, but if you read a little bit about how to make bubble solution, you can actually make much better bubble juice at home than what you can buy at the store. You just need to add a little glycerine to your solution.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tim77 wrote: »
    the new animation is just cringe

templar zerg:
    200.gif

Templar Zerg sieging Dragonclaw:

giphy.gif
    Options
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I already got used to a new animation and I bet it's a matter of time until everyone not satisfied today accept new model, sooner or later. If I were ZOS I would patiently eat popcorn watching a decreasing level of disapointment ;) .
    Edited by Gargath on August 31, 2022 6:00PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
    Options
  • Auldwulfe
    Auldwulfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    Consider movement of center of the mass of torso little bit more.
    Swinging sword by only arms looks like weightless.

The kinetic power start from feet, gradually transferred to the pelvis
    and torso, shoulder, arms, and finally impact happen at the edge of the blade.
    Simply say use whole body just like the "whip". Do not move whole body
    with same timing. Those type of motion is weightless and cheap.

Look at movement of Geralt of rivia. He use whole his body just like whip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZgL9ycQVWg

Spoken like someone who has studied a bit of combat --- myself, I am in my 50's now, and yes, age is a pain in the tail.
    But I have studied several martial art forms, and a number of other weapon forms, including live steel combat, and I am a Combat Veteran in the US Army, and specialized in close combat.

That said, to be honest, very few games do get combat moves right .... albeit the new flurry is a "little" better than the old, as your legs move, now.... before it was similar to "approach the enemy and activate your piston arms"...

I'd love a much more fluid set of moves, but that would require using trained people for motion capture, and not sure how easy that would be to implement into ESO.

Auldwulfe
    Options
  • ValerieKyrie
    ValerieKyrie
    ✭✭✭
    The new animation is cool, keep it that way!
    I'm so glad they finally changed jabs. I used to make a templar, but I never took jabs because of how weird it looked.

Thank you ZoS for fixing.

Now I really wish you would please PLEASE fix 2H Dizzying Swing when it used to have Knockback. That made Open World grinding so much more fun.
    Options
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m probably just too accustomed to the old animation but this new one gets me dizzy. Been trying it for a bit usually get through a couple mobs then switch to other spammables as I just can’t keep using it. I think it might be how it swings out a bit during this new animation.
    Options
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, the only thing I would change in the new animation is the last hit. Make it forward thrust (or whatever it's called) like the last hit in the previous animation.

Well, it also would be cool to have Imperial-something style for the spear, but that's not bothering me too much. I just don't like that final sweep at all.

I think I would have to agree that the final "jerk back and thrust" is the thing I hate the most about it. Even if they don't return the old spear look (which I really wish they would, I would be thankful for), I would AT LEAST like them to remove that final animation hit so that it's just an additional forward thrust. I would feel much better about it. I would be able to live with the new spear and damage reduction if the final animation was a forward thrust instead of that awkward back jerking.
    Edited by Wolf_Eye on September 1, 2022 2:12AM
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    Gargath wrote: »
    I already got used to a new animation and I bet it's a matter of time until everyone not satisfied today accept new model, sooner or later. If I were ZOS I would patiently eat popcorn watching a decreasing level of disapointment ;) .

I'm liking it more and more. I don't notice it doing solo or four man content and when doing trials I can see the animation even when the group is tightly stacked. Helps being able to see it.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I've been playing solo PVE for three years, CP 1800 magicka templar main character on main account.
    I always thought the jabs animation looked cheesy, both then and now - jab, jab, jab, jab or jab, jab, jab
    I don't pay much attention to how it looks, more interested if it does the job
    But if it bothers a lot of people, I have no problem reverting to how it used to look

Options
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, since the new update is out on consoles, what do you guys think of it?
    TherealHämähäkki
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS also ruined two handed swing motion also... :'(
    Edited by AvalonRanger on November 5, 2022 1:33AM
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before
    0abb9ab54d0b9dfb6cd94c88fab0708a.jpg

After
    cartoon-man-warrior-with-a-spear-in-fantasy-style-vector-34233474.jpg

Maybe, ZOS hired wrong animator recently. And keep ruining combat to the wrong way.
    Why ZOS want to destroy decent appearance?
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
    Options
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    Before
    0abb9ab54d0b9dfb6cd94c88fab0708a.jpg

After
    cartoon-man-warrior-with-a-spear-in-fantasy-style-vector-34233474.jpg

Maybe, ZOS hired wrong animator recently. And keep ruining combat to the wrong way.
    Why ZOS want to destroy decent appearance?

I believe you have your images mislabeled.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    Options
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this change is horrible and the one for whatever the slashing one is under dual weild that they also changed is horrible.
    Options
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really hate it but the new one seems a bit unstable.
    Options
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This skill really did a complete 180 going from one of my favorite spammables that looked cool and did good damage to a skill that looks awkward with crap damage...
    Options
  • Ingenon
    Ingenon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care
    I'm fine with either version.

Separately, I finished leveling Ember and Isobel to 20 during the last event with 100% experience bonus and 150% XP scrolls, and my templar in full training gear. I used this skill continuously to mow down low hp mob groups. After multiple hours of this, I am confident saying that the new animation does not bother me. But I will say that I think leveling companions takes too long ...
    Options
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used it in PvP and it's functionally fine. Art is a matter of tastes and some are more refined than others. The real problem is burning light took a huge hit, and now POTL/PL took another.
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Above all I'm annoyed that yet again they are wasting manpower fixing what isn't broken and monkeying with base game staples INSTEAD of working on worthwhile stuff like new weapons and new skill lines

I'm also annoyed that they changed the jabs spear but didn't change the other abilities. So Crescent and Blazing and Javelin all still use the old spear model.
    Options
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Above all I'm annoyed that yet again they are wasting manpower fixing what isn't broken and monkeying with base game staples INSTEAD of working on worthwhile stuff like new weapons and new skill lines

I'm also annoyed that they changed the jabs spear but didn't change the other abilities. So Crescent and Blazing and Javelin all still use the old spear model.

Agreed. I don't understand why a change that wasn't asked for and is nearly universally disliked can't be reverted.
    Options
  • herkemur
    herkemur
    ✭✭✭
    Don't use jabs anymore - seems too slow. BUT what i have noticed is that my templar (magicka) has suddenly gotten awfully squishy. I use Juilanos as i don't have the time to farm for the fancy dungeon armor. Switched it out for Mothers Sorrow as an experiment - even worse.
    i used to be able stand face to face with a regular dungeon boss and not have to heal much. Now I'm getting killed all the time.
    Anybody else notice "squishiness" or being more prone to snares or being stunned?
    Options
  • Daimonion82
    Daimonion82
    ✭✭✭
    Jabs were signature for templar. It's not only the new terrible look, it's the nerf. I don't get it - why they want to destroy the classes? Why changing things that doesn't need change? There is plenty of stuff to fix, yet they messing with good things.
    Options