The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Oakensoul Change Take 2, Electric Boogaloo

• ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sooo they didn't nerf it at the end...

Oakensoul chads, we eating good!!

There's still a few weeks for them to change it, and it could always be nerfed down the line if it's found to be something that people abuse. I think it's fine as is as well, and I don't think it will be an item that people really can abuse, not really anyway. So I'm hopeful it goes live as-is.

Me too. I have been playing around with it on the PTS and... colour me intrigued

It doesn't necessarily have to be abused though, for it to get re-tuned or re-tooled I mean; come U35 if their metrics show that is getting too widely adopted, or adopted in places they don't like it to be adopted in, they will do so, and into nothingness if needs to be like they did with the Thrassian Stranglers.

Ultimately if turns out to be as broken as the naysayers make it up to be, if we have lived through almost a year of Dark Convergence (with no relief in sight other than no-CP) I reckon we can live through three months of Oakensoul.
  • Aoshy
    Aoshy
    ✭✭✭
    I was hyped about it, but after testing it idk.. is good in some build and if u play solo...
  • RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    so, since this is probably the final stage of changes, my personal opinion about this ring:

1. for the people who think it will ruin pvp somehow, lemme introduce u to: dragonknight. (and templar).
    pvp is already ruined by these two classes. do you think some item can have any more impact on pvp?
    honestly, i highly doubt that this ring in it's original form on a TWO werewolfs could win vs ONE properly built DK.
    no surprise that there are usually 7-8 DK's and templars out of 12 ppl on BG's.

2. about 2 mostly mentioned buffs in this topic.
    major force - GOOD. this is a must-have offset due to everyone running rallying cry nowadays.
    major heroism - BAD. yep, lets just buff DK even more, why not? now there will be 12 unkillable DK's every BG running around with 100% pen due to almost 100% uptime on corrosive armor and infinite sustain due to ultimate passive.

3. regarding some nonsense about apm, skill and other stuff. lemme introduce u to: ping and server delays and lags.
    so, in another game, not sure if it is allowed to mention the name here, i was playing with 72 keybinds for skills and items, they were 4 panels from 1 to = and combinations of this 12 buttons (all on the mouse) with ctrl, shift, ctrl+shift, and 2 panels of F1 to F12 (also all on the mouse during razer hypershift switch) by themselves and with ctrl. and they ALL were being used constantly, no any "afk" slots for food buffs and etc.
    that game was much more fast-paced than eso. and much more skill-based. and still i had about 95% winrate in arenas there.
    and here we have 5 buttons with a panel swap.
    so, what is harder and more annoying to play? obviously, eso.
    have u ever experienced ur bar just refusing to swap? probably because on the server u are already CC'ed but with a ping of 100 and other hardware delays u just dont see it yet, or because server is simply lagging and causing additional delays for every calculation (u can clearly see it, for example, when running around the corner and still getting hit for 2 seconds after it, or leaving the fight and randomly dying 1-2 sec after without getting visually hit). well, if u havent, u are probably not playing on PC EU with 100ms ping. i see these things literally every minute, and not only me who is complaining about it, ive heard it many times from other people and even youtube content creators, e.g. iTzApex in his recent stamina sorcerer guide. he mentions "when ur bar swaps, if you know what i mean" for like 5 times during the video, lol.

so, this game has 2 ridiculously terrible gamedesign ideas, one of which being bar swap. i honestly find much more comfortable and easier to play with 72 instantly available keybinds rather than with 5 and bar swap.
    with this ring we are getting rid of one of the worst gamedesign ideas. this is an absolute win and a must-have for me.

4. whats the point of having 2 bars anyway? people are mostly using it just to buff and heal.
    so, there are many advantages for using this ring. for example:
    - now u dont need to swap every 20 sec to use 3-4 buffs wasting 15-20% of ur total playing time for nothing
    - now u dont need to have 3k mana regen (in case u are mag class) to maintain all those buffs (maybe exaggerating, but atleast magNB with 2.8k regen always sits at 0 mana even with siphoning strikes).
    - ur heal is now not delayed by barswap which, as i mentioned above, not even happening every time.

anyway, im very glad that this ring is a thing, i will use it no matter what, the gameplay comfort and less frustration about server lags are the most important things to me.

but major heroism is really bad idea because it mostly favors the class which is already 2-3 times stronger than any other. i think it should be changed to something less important. major evasion maybe? since templar has literally 2x damage on his spammable compared to other classes and this ring with 99% chance wont allow ur build to include major evasion without serious sacrifices. or atleast some raw stats like 3% crit chance or 129 regen.
    Edited by RemoryAzure on May 21, 2022 7:29AM
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    4. whats the point of having 2 bars anyway? people are mostly using it just to buff and heal.
    so, there are many advantages for using this ring. for example:
    - now u dont need to swap every 20 sec to use 3-4 buffs wasting 15-20% of ur total playing time for nothing
    - now u dont need to have 3k mana regen (in case u are mag class) to maintain all those buffs (maybe exaggerating, but atleast magNB with 2.8k regen always sits at 0 mana even with siphoning strikes).
    - ur heal is now not delayed by barswap which, as i mentioned above, not even happening every time.

anyway, im very glad that this ring is a thing, i will use it no matter what, the gameplay comfort and less frustration about server lags are the most important things to me.

but major heroism is really bad idea because it mostly favors the class which is already 2-3 times stronger than any other. i think it should be changed to something less important. major evasion maybe? since templar has literally 2x damage on his spammable compared to other classes and this ring with 99% chance wont allow ur build to include major evasion without serious sacrifices. or atleast some raw stats like 3% crit chance or 129 regen.

I agree with everything you said, sans not liking bar swap and sans your reasoning for Major Heroism being bad.
    I personally love the bar swap mechanic. I just understand that it's not for everyone and it does have its own issues that ZoS isn't taking seriously. Without the bar swap mechanic, ESO loses a lot of its identity for me. Now I'm not saying Oakensoul shouldn't exist or shouldn't limit bar swapping, far from it. I like the game-play options presented here! It's a great mythic and opens up gameplay options for people that hate bar swapping, and for people that just can't bar swap. It's helpful.

As for Major Heroism, I don't think it'll be as impactful on DK as you think. One-bar is severely limiting for that class in particular, and with the nerf next patch, it'll just make things harder without a monster helm set. I do think Major Heroism tips the mythic into being a little bit overtuned, and that it does not need this buff for it to see use. Removing that buff won't really effect the item much, nor will it hurt the people that want to use it outside of people looking to abuse easy Major Heroism. If anything, making it Minor Herosim would probably be better and more balanced, but the ring doesn't need that either.
  • RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    As for Major Heroism, I don't think it'll be as impactful on DK as you think. One-bar is severely limiting for that class in particular, and with the nerf next patch, it'll just make things harder without a monster helm set.
    TheRealGodzilla has already made a DK build on PTS which allows u to use corrosive armor every 16 seconds. u can check it on YT. and i dont see how is 1 bar severely limiting DK, u only lose 1 important skill which is dragon fire scale (ranged defense), and probably heavy attack build is not possible with this ring. all main skills remain - flame lash, poison claw, fossilize and heal (in case of mag dk), and 1 more slot for the skill of ur choice, probably race against time for snare immunity and speed.

well, if DK's ult gets nerfed the same way as sorcerer's overload or vamp's scion (probably necro's works the same way, im not sure), where u cant get ultimate while ultimate ability is active, im totally ok with major heroism on this ring. it creates a situation where ur ultimate becomes used more often up to a point when its almost a regular ability (nb's harvest or templar sweep due to low cost) so it's partially replaces bar swap in terms of apm.

btw, i just thought that would be a funny and maybe even better idea to rework this ring like this:
    - prohibits bar swap
    - gives major sorcery/brutality/resolve/savagery/prophecy (only the main buffs which everyone have)
    - adds 3 skill slots on ur bar
    in this case, it wont grant any hardly accessed buffs, it wont let u to use skills of other weapons (like popular caustic arrow bow), it wont let u to maximize heal potential (like im running 2x powered swords on my backbar on mNB), it wont let u to make back-bar set like the most popular ones clever alchemist or ironblood (so u have to optimize ur build to 12 gear slots down from 14), it wont give any raw stats, but it will still give u an ability to use 3 more skills without swapping. this is a genius idea.
    Edited by RemoryAzure on May 22, 2022 6:35AM
  • Unknown_Redemption
    Unknown_Redemption
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a genius idea.

Wont work due to controller limitations on console.
  • RemoryAzure
    RemoryAzure
    ✭✭✭
    oh yeah i forgot about this.
    thats a pity that we still have to suffer consequences of purely marketing ideas
    pressF to all who still play games with that atrocious things
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah i forgot about this.
    thats a pity that we still have to suffer consequences of purely marketing ideas
    pressF to all who still play games with that atrocious things

Console players might suffer some balance adjustments that are more relevant to PC though, with the faster clicking and richer UI options, so it balances out in a way.

ESO is one of the only real MMOs for console.

There are reasons why some people prefer consoles over PCs for games, especially multiplayer. It's just a matter of taste. TES started on console with Morrowind and earned many fans this way.

Edited by Urzigurumash on May 23, 2022 11:54PM
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There's still a few weeks for them to change it, and it could always be nerfed down the line if it's found to be something that people abuse. I think it's fine as is as well, and I don't think it will be an item that people really can abuse, not really anyway. So I'm hopeful it goes live as-is.

Permanent major heroism is absolutely abusable, mainly by DKs.

The ring will be heavily used, and most likely nerfed after everyone buys the chapter and puts time into getting it. Same old
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stx wrote: »

The ring will be heavily used, and most likely nerfed after everyone buys the chapter and puts time into getting it. Same old

Ya I don't see that major heroism staying either, I wish zos wouldn't do the nerf first pts after release, it's a bad look intentional or not.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »
    Stx wrote: »

Ya I don't see that major heroism staying either, I wish zos wouldn't do the nerf first pts after release, it's a bad look intentional or not.

Unfortunately I think ZOS has too much faith in players to not seek out the absolute cheesiest way to mow down players in pvp.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vylaera wrote: »
    This ring is a solid option for ganks but I seriously doubt it would be the new BiS for ganking. I should know - I gank.

Yeah….it’s BiS for ganking.
    Vylaera wrote: »

This is not a good gank mythic because you don't have a backbar for healing. As long as you don't mind dying all the time then sure, it would get good damage. But you immediately lose your survivability because you no longer have a backbar heal.

I have plenty of survivability. I front bar Vigor and feel sturdier than I did before.
  • Bokila
    Bokila
    ✭✭✭
    Might be BiS for ganking due to the simplicity but damage wise it feels disappointing. I gank and i have the same damage without it. The only good thing is that i dont need to buff up with alot of skills and i get easy ult. Basically, what ganker win from it is 10% dmg (substitutes the 3 fighters guild abilities i previously had on main bar), 20% crit dmg (so i changed my mundus to warrior because i was over crit cap.., it basically now substitutes simmering frenzy which is decent and no, there is no room for the skill on a 1 bar), majour courage (which basically substitutes the 5th bonus piece of a set like new moon) and, as i mentioned previously, major heroism is a nice addition but that's it. I would argue that ganking does less damage this patch due to the cp nerfs but meh.. people will still cry and say it's broken no matter what.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bokila wrote: »
    Might be BiS for ganking due to the simplicity but damage wise it feels disappointing. I gank and i have the same damage without it. The only good thing is that i dont need to buff up with alot of skills and i get easy ult. Basically, what ganker win from it is 10% dmg (substitutes the 3 fighters guild abilities i previously had on main bar), 20% crit dmg (so i changed my mundus to warrior because i was over crit cap.., it basically now substitutes simmering frenzy which is decent and no, there is no room for the skill on a 1 bar), majour courage (which basically substitutes the 5th bonus piece of a set like new moon) and, as i mentioned previously, major heroism is a nice addition but that's it. I would argue that ganking does less damage this patch due to the cp nerfs but meh.. people will still cry and say it's broken no matter what.

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’ll find that most people say that gank damage has increased. We can agree to disagree.
  • Bokila
    Bokila
    ✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    Bokila wrote: »

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think you’ll find that most people say that gank damage has increased. We can agree to disagree.

Dummy DPS perhaps because you don't waste your time buffing yourself but not gank combo dmg. I just explained what substitutes what. The people that told you the dmg is higher probably were not using simmering frenzy. I think the bow gank is better now because there was no viable monster set for it anyway so this would be BiS for it but still cannot compete with a melee build.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got the new Oakensoal ring on console, and to me this is pure Pay-to-Win. No need anymore to have a proper rotation, Ultimate is ready superfast, most Overland enemies simply drop dead, and in PvP the boost is so strong, not only because of the massive buffs but also because of the leaner gameplay, that even the original Malacath-Ring looks old against Oakensoal.

OAKENSOAL GIVES A SOLO PLAYER THE BUFFS OF A RAID TEAM. Devs, what were you thinking? This ring is so OP that it is a must have for solo players, especially in PvP. Certainly this item will be nerfed hard - but to me, this looks like the old recipe for MMO money - *sell first, nerf later*. However, this time it looks shameless, because every Donald notices at once that solo he is becoming Superman - as long as he knows what to put on just one bar.
  • Wmply
    Wmply
    Soul Shriven
    Having been playing PvE solo with it for a couple of days, I like Oakensoul.
    Sometimes I think that end game/trial players and PvP players get so worked up that a new item or new mechanic doesn't fit their ideals and gameplay, that the immediate reaction is to insist that it is nerfed or changed.
    I get it, it doesn't fit YOUR game play - then don't use it, stick to the gear that works for you. However, for someone who plays solo PvE, Oakensoul and the companions improves OUR enjoyment of ESO. As it says above, it gives a solo player all the buffs of a trial team, but without the group itself.
    With regards to the WW argument maybe ZOS should add a feature to Oakensoul - it negates the werewolf and vampire curses completely whilst it is equipped. Unequipping it restores the original curse status.
    Edited by Wmply on June 25, 2022 12:57PM
  • Wmply
    Wmply
    Soul Shriven
    this is a genius idea.

They could use RB+RT / LB+LT / X+A / A+B and X+A, or the now defunct weapon swap (left cross) but that puts ESO into the same "unusable control scheme" category as the Mortal Kombat games 😂