Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

December Daily Rewards

• wheresbes
    wheresbes
    ✭✭✭✭
    e838a082fba235dbd50d069b071d5c4b.png

This is awfully awesome :D

• TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate anything free and the gold is definitely welcome but it's not very exciting really. I will use the Stamina riding lessons and they do have quite an amount of value but for people with fully maxed characters they are not really a reward.
  • MakoRuu
    MakoRuu
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

I've been playing since the CLOSED BETAS, and I have the monkey to prove it. I still play my original launch day character. An Orc Dragon Knight. I have 12 alt characters, and have spent probably thousands of dollars on ESO over the years. I own all the CE Expansions, and have a recurring ESO+ Sub.

Yes, there are times when I've lapsed playing to play other MMOs and games, but I always come back to ESO.

Decembers rewards are TERRIBLE. I kind of expected a Christmas present reward, something to do with New Life. Even just a hat or a non-combat pet, anything. But 4 STAMINA riding lesson books is all we get.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I am very disappointed. It wouldn't have cost them any money at all to give us some obscure themed New Life reward like a hat with bells on it, or a Christmas tree furnishing.

[edited for discussion of mod action]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 1, 2021 1:22PM
  • Alarde
    Alarde
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus Christ...
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, it's like the Grinch and Scrooge got together and made this months rewards calendar :D

Okay, first, yes, these are FREE daily login rewards, but also daily login rewards that NO ONE asked for...
    what I mean by this is well, [snip]?

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 1, 2021 1:22PM
  • Isaura
    Isaura
    ✭✭✭
    Free junk! Merry Christmas to you too, ZOS! Nice to see that you love us!
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most will call them junk, very few will call them treasures.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I'm relieved there's nothing special this month. The only time I've gotten beyond about the 17th daily reward in December is 2020 when the UK had a covid lockdown and we weren't allowed to go away from home. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen again but if it does no virtual knickknacks are going to make up for not seeing my family, so for me the later rewards are irrelevant either way.

I wonder if they're doing this because they've noticed a lot of people are in similar situations and don't log in to get the later rewards in December no matter what they're offering.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    I wonder if they're doing this because they've noticed a lot of people are in similar situations and don't log in to get the later rewards in December no matter what they're offering.

100% understand this, [snip] if they are going to do these kinds of events they really should stop [snip].

Free holiday themed consumables that no one will miss getting while busy with family would be a step in the right direction, looking for festive not things that will make others feel bad about not being able to log in.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 1, 2021 1:23PM
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    dm0Ua7l.jpg

That guys teeth are more bright than my future.
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every other game I've played which has daily login rewards just gives the same things every week/month/whatever and it's usually trivial things like bonus XP or small amounts of in-game currencies. But no one complains about it, I think because it's always the same so they know what to expect - no one is sitting there imagining that next month may be when they get some amazingly special item they never knew they always wanted, they know they'll get the same things as always.

I sometimes think ZOS should do the same because every month we have topics complaining the rewards aren't good enough, either at the beginning of the month or when they offered something random like crown crates it was when players started getting that reward and discovered they weren't the one who got extremely lucky and instead they got the same junk as usual, just without knowing what it would be until they opened it.

On balance it seems like a system which is good enough that no one complains is better than one which might one day be exciting but usually results in complaints. If it's going to be disappointing either way the solution is to not get people's hopes up.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some players don"t have family or friends to spend christmas with. Or money for traveling.
    They are home playing eso while new games come out.
    And this reward just hurts.

Stamina is like the least wanted mount upgrade
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS, please be rational:

Better dump this unrewarding reward system
    instead of antagonizing regular players.
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some players don"t have family or friends to spend christmas with. Or money for traveling.

Which is probably why it was chosen. Most players max out the other two and don't really bother with this, so it might be somewhat useful to them. Or maybe I'm overthinking this...
  • MakoRuu
    MakoRuu
    ✭✭✭✭

I'll spend Christmas with you, brother. (Or sister.)
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so tired of all these potions and food.
    Edited by LadyDestiny on December 1, 2021 12:14PM
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On balance it seems like a system which is good enough that no one complains is better than one which might one day be exciting but usually results in complaints. If it's going to be disappointing either way the solution is to not get people's hopes up.

A system with bad rewards may be as well removed, as it will not fulfill its main goal (improving log-in numbers).

Even if there are countries with 2 weeks of vacations at the end of December (I have no idea about it), ZOS can simply move the reward from 21-st to 14-th day to make it accessible to most players.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pepperidge farm remembers a guar mount on the 25th one year.

My 18 characters with their fully levelled mounts are feeling left out
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for nothing,yet again ZOS.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • Gylzyn
    Gylzyn
    ✭✭✭
    So it is Christmas time after another challenging year across the world and this is what ZOS comes up with? Wow.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »

A system with bad rewards may be as well removed, as it will not fulfill its main goal (improving log-in numbers).

I don't think that the issue is that the rewards are bad, they are just not targeted directly at the people in here commenting on it. People who are just starting out can appreciate the daily rewards much better.

(Edit: if they were directed at people like me, every month would have Transmute Thingies. :disappointed: )

As for generating engagement numbers, I am sure they can get metrics on how many people log into the game for the sole purpose of collecting the daily reward. Those people may drive engagement numbers, but are not really a benefit to the game, if that is all they are doing. People who complete Endeavors are much better for the game and are a better representation of active players than people who log in just to grab daily rewards.

[snip]

I also think that there is a possibility that they will replace Day 21 with a preview Crown Crate, but can't list it because it has not been announced. Rules, you know.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 1, 2021 1:24PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A lot of people, myself included, have their gaming disrupted during the holidays. I'm traveling, seeing family, friends, and basically crazy busy until they are over.

I would not enjoy an awesome December daily login reward that lands three weeks in. Because chances are high I would not get to it.

I think if ZOS wants to give the community a holiday gift it should be e-mailed to all active accounts as an un-expiring redeemable code. But that's just me.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

As for generating engagement numbers, I am sure they can get metrics on how many people log into the game for the sole purpose of collecting the daily reward. Those people may drive engagement numbers, but are not really a benefit to the game, if that is all they are doing. People who complete Endeavors are much better for the game and are a better representation of active players than people who log in just to grab daily rewards.

Is this a guess or are you privy to information not accessible to the average player? I agree with the theory, but a theory is just a theory without data.

[snip]

If this is true, its not easily observable...evidence being the current december rewards and lack of reward for ESO+ members.

Elsonso wrote: »
    I also think that there is a possibility that they will replace Day 21 with a preview Crown Crate, but can't list it because it has not been announced. Rules, you know.

Interesting. Do you make this comment from a position of knowledge, or a position of a wild guess? This is not something they have done in the past...so what metrics are you using to decipher this guess?

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on December 1, 2021 1:25PM
  • TheGrognard
    TheGrognard
    ✭✭
    So? Later today on the 24hr stream there is going to be "wacky and unpredictable shenanigans". That's a gift that keeps on giving all year 'round!! :D
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    A lot of people, myself included, have their gaming disrupted during the holidays. I'm traveling, seeing family, friends, and basically crazy busy until they are over.

I would not enjoy an awesome December daily login reward that lands three weeks in. Because chances are high I would not get to it.

I think if ZOS wants to give the community a holiday gift it should be e-mailed to all active accounts as an un-expiring redeemable code. But that's just me.

Ok, but should everyone else who does not have the luxury you have to travel and see family, be at a disadvantage for a December award in game because you are not able to log in daily?

• ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Greetings everyone!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting and bashing. We do not tolerate abusive language or disruptive behavior on our forums. This goes for abusive and disruptive comments and behavior that are directed at a ZeniMax Online employee and ESO community member, alike. Please remember to be respectful and constructive at all times on our forums. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • bruta
    bruta
    ✭✭✭
    could be worse, like only 3 riding lessons
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean, it's free, so whatever.

The food and riding stuff etc is useless to me, but appreciate that it might be nice for some.

But the Alliance Point ones always get me. It's such a worthless amount.

Easy to earn (even if you don't pvp, you can flip a resource or do town quests in a dead campaign and get that in 10 minutes) and it's not even enough for new players to do anything with. Buy like 8 potions or something lol.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bruta wrote: »
    could be worse, like only 3 riding lessons

BWAAAA.....this made me laugh so hard. :lol:
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    peacenote wrote: »

Ok, but should everyone else who does not have the luxury you have to travel and see family, be at a disadvantage for a December award in game because you are not able to log in daily?

No. First of all, my point is a lot of people are in the same boat. But what I'm saying is that they should deliver the rewards a different way so that EVERYONE gets one for the same reasons others are complaining about the quality of the rewards. It's been a tough year; let's not exclude anyone. Do something nice for all that doesn't have criteria attached to it, like having to log in every day or noticing that there is something free to claim for a limited time in the Crown Store.

I've heavily advocated against the attempt to manipulate play habits by the introduction of daily logins in multiple posts so I won't repeat all of what I've said. But I believe that any special monthly rewards in the daily login offering should appear much earlier in the month or be mailed to people who can't play every day but have long play sessions on the days they do play, so they don't miss out on the special monthly reward. Otherwise people with busy, difficult, or unpredictable lives are punished for not having the luxury of being able to log in "x" days per month.

My statement that it is problematic for a daily reward to be the extra special holiday gift ZOS gives the community, and appear at the END of the month, because a larger part of the community than usual won't be able to log in enough days to access it, is just an expansion of my stance on the daily logins.

I will sometimes use myself as an example but I would never EVER expect a change to cater to me specifically. That would be a very selfish stance. People pick up extra shifts around the holidays. They donate their time to charity. They have family who come to visit. There are all kinds of reasons. I simply am saying it ALSO would be tone deaf of ZOS not to understand this and roll out a reward many people couldn't get. And maybe, just maybe, they thought about that and we'll be getting something else. :D Or maybe we'll get nothing, lol.

But I'm tired of marketing ploys that exclude certain players when they just as easily could be designed to include all active players.
    Edited by peacenote on December 1, 2021 1:49PM
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.