Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

December Daily Rewards

• Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Olauron wrote: »
    Danikat wrote: »
    On balance it seems like a system which is good enough that no one complains is better than one which might one day be exciting but usually results in complaints. If it's going to be disappointing either way the solution is to not get people's hopes up.

A system with bad rewards may be as well removed, as it will not fulfill its main goal (improving log-in numbers).

I don't think that the issue is that the rewards are bad, they are just not targeted directly at the people in here commenting on it. People who are just starting out can appreciate the daily rewards much better.

(Edit: if they were directed at people like me, every month would have Transmute Thingies. :disappointed: )

As for generating engagement numbers, I am sure they can get metrics on how many people log into the game for the sole purpose of collecting the daily reward. Those people may drive engagement numbers, but are not really a benefit to the game, if that is all they are doing. People who complete Endeavors are much better for the game and are a better representation of active players than people who log in just to grab daily rewards.

[snip]

I also think that there is a possibility that they will replace Day 21 with a preview Crown Crate, but can't list it because it has not been announced. Rules, you know.

[edited for baiting]

I don't expect every daily reward to be unique or meaningful, but at least one at a month is expected to be such (at least by precedent). It is not about targeting, it is about being worth it. A unique collectible is good, because it is unique, you can't get it from another source. Even if a player don't want to use it now, it is possible for this reward to be used later on some other character or in another context. Something like 100k gold is nice too, as it is not trivial for most players to get it fast or without effort. But 4 riding lessons is just 1000 gold and 4 days (out of 180, that is 2%, almost nothing), even if a player really has a character to use those. 4 riding lessons simply not worth the time of loading screens to get in a game. Finishing your riding on some character 4 days earlier in half a year is something that will not be noticed.

Seals of endeavors are likely better for the engagement, and this is likely the reason of such daily rewards. Still without seals a good daily reward would give a player a chance to look at the crown store announcements and maybe to get something even when that is the only thing this player is doing (I mean, given the state of performance, it is counterproductive for ZOS to invite too many players in other activities, edit: and as a player I actually support this, as working Alinor is better than Alinor with invisible NPCs and black filled players).
    Edited by Olauron on December 1, 2021 1:53PM
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a server performance reward for day 30?
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a console transfer leveling a new horse I actually appreciate the lessons but I totally get how they are worthless to a large number of players.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Day 21 looks like a placeholder for something to be added. It has happened before.

I like your optimism, but can you provide actual evidence that ZOS has swapped out a reward in their monthly rewards for something else before? Maybe there's some historical data on Bowd's website or something. I cannot personally remember a time this has happened.

Happened before at least on console
    When the day 21 item is something that is introduced with the most recent update but console are yet to receive the update
    Those are then updated with the release of the dlc/update
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I already got everything I wanted for Christmas with curated item drops. :smile:

I am truly happy that the top gripe on the forums right now is about how people don't like their free stuff. People seem to forget that past December rewards were also accompanied by 40+ page threads about bugs, day-long maintenances or broken combat balance.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is Christmas too. All trash.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    depressing end to a depressing year for this game. Suits it really.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I mean, it's free, so whatever.

The food and riding stuff etc is useless to me, but appreciate that it might be nice for some.

But the Alliance Point ones always get me. It's such a worthless amount.

Easy to earn (even if you don't pvp, you can flip a resource or do town quests in a dead campaign and get that in 10 minutes) and it's not even enough for new players to do anything with. Buy like 8 potions or something lol.

If you don't PvP, then you don't PvP, for some players it's as simple as that. I've never been to Cyrodiil and have no desire to do so. Telling me I can just do this, or just do that, or pick this or that campaign isn't going to change that. However, what the small amount of APs do is they provide a few extra skill points, so for some players they're probably the most beneficial of all the rewards.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    I mean, it's free, so whatever.

The food and riding stuff etc is useless to me, but appreciate that it might be nice for some.

But the Alliance Point ones always get me. It's such a worthless amount.

Easy to earn (even if you don't pvp, you can flip a resource or do town quests in a dead campaign and get that in 10 minutes) and it's not even enough for new players to do anything with. Buy like 8 potions or something lol.

If you don't PvP, then you don't PvP, for some players it's as simple as that. I've never been to Cyrodiil and have no desire to do so. Telling me I can just do this, or just do that, or pick this or that campaign isn't going to change that. However, what the small amount of APs do is they provide a few extra skill points, so for some players they're probably the most beneficial of all the rewards.

Yep. Before they made the skill changes, my main Stamblade was like 3/4 of the way to Vigor from login bonuses. Now, with the changes, I'm slowly getting it on all my stam characters. It's actually useful.

(and yeah, I've never stepped foot in Cyro, even for the tutorial, and I never will.)
  • deleted220614-000183
    [snip]

What about introducing real ant rewards that can't be destroyed so easily ?
    Like 10k CP down permanently ?
    -1.000.000 golds ?
    Wow sounds great, nice gold sink lets think about more rewards like that.
    What else could be introduced ?
    Anti ESO+ trial with bank space halved ?
    All houses locked including guildhouses ?
    Fee for using crafting stations, prefereably payed with crown currency ?
    So many options.

Lets do that. Very nice ideas.

[Edited for Discussion of Moderation Action]
    Edited by Psiion on December 2, 2021 10:29PM
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks like this month there is no "special" reward. For the first time ever. I wonder if it means a new trend or something. I hope not.

But I want to believe that these riding lessons are just a "teaser" and somewhere closer to the holidays we will be surprised by ZOS with... maybe a free mount to accompany these lessons?
  • deleted220614-000183
    maybe a free mount to accompany these lessons?

well- no :)
  • deleted220614-000183
    depressing end to a depressing year for this game. Suits it really.

Let's sum it up
    more lags, less balanced PVP and less rewards
    Black fredas and the most of events sucked and crown/golds ratio is 10x higher then it was last year
    old guilds are quiting, crownsellers guilds rules again

On the bright side blackwood is quite good chapter (yes, you have to pay for that)
    and new dungeons and DLC are quite good as well (yes you have to pay for that)

So basicly, the game is less fun and more pay to play

• Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa there ZOS, you will go bankrupt by showing this amount of generosity.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »

As for generating engagement numbers, I am sure they can get metrics on how many people log into the game for the sole purpose of collecting the daily reward. Those people may drive engagement numbers, but are not really a benefit to the game, if that is all they are doing. People who complete Endeavors are much better for the game and are a better representation of active players than people who log in just to grab daily rewards.

Is this a guess or are you privy to information not accessible to the average player? I agree with the theory, but a theory is just a theory without data.

I am not privy to any inside information. However, I know they keep logs (they have said so) and I know they have a business analytics team (they have said so). Those two things together allow them a boatload of metrics information, if they want it. My guess is that they do.

As for driving engagement, while logging in can be engagement, just logging in for daily rewards and logging out is not really a quality engagement. It does not help with the economy, even as much as people who just do daily writs. It does not help with dungeon queues. It does not really make the world feel populated because they aren't in the world long enough.
    Raideen wrote: »
    I also think that there is a possibility that they will replace Day 21 with a preview Crown Crate, but can't list it because it has not been announced. Rules, you know.

Interesting. Do you make this comment from a position of knowledge, or a position of a wild guess? This is not something they have done in the past...so what metrics are you using to decipher this guess?

It just goes back to the fact that they cannot always talk about upcoming things.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Ragged_Claw
    Ragged_Claw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't normally pay much attention to the daily rewards and wouldn't usually complain about free stuff, but, Christ on a bike I laughed so hard at this grinchiness. How about a little festive reward early on in the month so no-one misses out? Just anything vaguely holiday themed? A hat, perhaps, a tree furnishing, a shiny bauble earring, tinsel headband? The snowball emote would be perfect here but I guess there's a reason they lock that kind of festive thing in the crates...

Just someting, anything to say 'Season's greetings! Thanks for sticking with us for another year!'
    PC EU & NA
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    All CC appearances:
      • December: 1 Akaviri Potentate Preview Crate
      • October: 1 Sovngarde Preview Crate
      • April: 1 Gloomspore Preview Crate
      • December: 1 Frost Atronach Preview Crate
      • November: 2 New Moon Crates
      • September: 1 New Moon Preview Crate
      • June: 1 Baandari Pedlar Preview Crate
      • November: 2 Scalecaller Crates
      • October: 6 Reaper's Harvest Crates
      • September: 2 Wild Hunt Crates
      • August: 10 Dwarves Crates, 1 Psijic Vault Crate
      • July: 4 Psijic Vault Crates + up to 3 Ouroboros Crates
      • June: 1 Scalecaller Crate, 5 Psijic Vault Crates

I'm sad now.
  • deleted220614-000183
    Whoa there ZOS, you will go bankrupt by showing this amount of generosity.

well, for me, what this game made special was housing/furnishing.
    Now with typiacal notable house priced with golds/crowns ratio 1:1500 (PC EU)
    it needs around 25millions golds to buy a single one - not decorated.

I must admit I'm quite big animal in reselling items and earning golds but enough is enough.
    Housing it is not just buying a house, you need crownstore furnishing packs and houseguests and all of that and I really don't want to spent hundred of hours just to earn something as virtual and created by one click ov DEVs as crownstore items/crowns/golds.
    Not worth my time, really.
    It just cant be justified and it is not appropriate.
    So continue like this, ZOS. The less valuable things that can be bought by golds, the more ridiculous crown prices, the more crownsellers, more empty trading guilds, more annoyed players and less revenue for you.
  • Marcusorion1
    Marcusorion1
    ✭✭✭✭
    On par with the Daily Log In rewards is the ESO Plus freebie - a nice painting but it's availability stretches from the end of November to apparently into 2022. If you picked it up in the last week of November when it became available, then there is nothing new until next year. " Expected nothing and still disappointed ".

• Obsidian3
    Obsidian3
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totally understand why everyone is less than thrilled. However on my alt account this month is awesome! 2 150% XP scrolls right in time for New Life! Those are going to come in super handy and the 4 stamina riding lessons as well.

• deleted220614-000183
    Obsidian3 wrote: »
    I totally understand why everyone is less than thrilled. However on my alt account this month is awesome! 2 150% XP scrolls right in time for New Life! Those are going to come in super handy and the 4 stamina riding lessons as well.

Anybody who plays this game couple of months and have maxed out riding skill/ reached some1000 CP points it feels like a slap:
    They treat us like a trash unless money are spent in crown store.
    This is how I take this december "Christmas" reward.
    And as for as EXP scrolls, I have so many of them that I could wallpaper a room with them if they give me that posdsibility.
    Useless as you can't use more CP points after reaching some level.
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicken and odd beverages, weird random gift vouchers for things you don't really want or need.

Seems very holiday themed. :p
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer a "New Life" tree that looks suspiciously like a Christmas tree or even just a fun snowman furnishing. That would have been a nice holiday season gift. Not lessons that are useless to vet players.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edaphon wrote: »
    lIZCNvp.png

The day 21 rewards are Stamina riding lessons.

Merry Xmas ESO Crew! I wish you happy 3-stat Potions too on Christmas! ........
    *sigh*
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daim wrote: »
    lIZCNvp.png

*sigh*

Isn't it 10 Crown Soul Gems for Christmas? They could have done the 12 Soud Gems of Christmas... just sayin'...
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wargazsem wrote: »
    Clearly there wasn't much thought put into this month.

And effort!
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lIZCNvp.png

*sigh*

Isn't it 10 Crown Soul Gems for Christmas? They could have done the 12 Soud Gems of Christmas... just sayin'...

Ah right, in US ? In Northern Europe it's 24th when the presents are given.
    PC|EU
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a few people say that they might be lackluster because some players take the holidays off. This way they don't miss something good.

Imma be honest. If that's the case, I think that's kinda crummy. I remember when I went on my honeymoon I missed several cool rewards. That's life. I think the monthly rewards should have some consistency in quality level.
    I drink and I stream things.
  • GOAT4EVAR
    GOAT4EVAR
    ✭✭✭
    Can't understand how entitled people are to complain about free rewards, daily login rewards shouldnt be anything special. Consumables, riding lessons etc are fine. Imo it wouldnt be bad if there were no loginrewards at all.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lIZCNvp.png

*sigh*

Ah right, in US ? In Northern Europe it's 24th when the presents are given.

That happens in the US, too, but Christmas is the 25th :smile:

I also just noticed that they give out the lethal poison on the days before the special rewards. :smile::tongue::wink:
    Edited by Elsonso on December 1, 2021 7:30PM