Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• Elistix
    Elistix
    Soul Shriven
    Lysette wrote: »
    Elistix wrote: »
    Hail from Middle-Earth, my fellow Tamrielians!

It has been a long time I've not touched ESO seriously in the past couple of months. My time spent wandering the lands of Eriador on the Treebeard slow-prog server of The Lord of the Rings Online and seeing the sights... And testing something over these beautiful lands.

Treebeard is one of the game's Legendary Servers, which also has the added feature of altering one's own difficulty of play in ways that it makes the player character weaker (Like Battle Spirit being used) and most important of all, adds to the immersion of being a character in a world where hostile forces are encroaching ever so more on the innocent Free Peoples.

Normal : No changes
    Hard : Slight Increase in Damage Taken and Slight Decrease in Damage done (Some XP bonus)
    Harder : Increase in Damage Taken and Decrease in Damage Done (Large XP bonus)
    Dangerous : Great Increase in Damage Taken and Great Decrease in Damage Done (Bigger XP bonus)
    Deadly : Extreme increase in Damage Taken and Extreme Decrease in Damage Done. (Great XP bonus only)

And man, is it an immersive experience. To fight enemies that are far underneath my level of play and still having to be careful with my footing. Yet it never felt as if I was slowed down to a crawl either. Things took a little more time, yes. but not enough to feel like my time felt wasted. And... It was completely OPTIONAL for me to do such a playthrough!

A feature like this would thrive in the world of ESO, for we have Battle Spirit, a buff that can be used and expanded upon with different modifiers to allow players to play the world of The Elder Scrolls Online at it's fullest of potentials. Imagine it! Being able to alter your difficulty from :

Novice - Decrease in Damage Taken and Increase in Damage Done (Decrease of XP gain to further focus mainly on the story aspect of the game and allow the player to take their time and learn how to use their mechanics.)

Apprentice - The Game as it is currently, for those who are used to playing ESO but don't want added challenge or feel like they are coming out of novice and want to try something a little spicier. (No XP changes.)

Journeyman- Small increase to damage taken and decrease to damage done, enemies will be flagged and attacks aimed towards you will be a little faster to test your reaction time. Healing is not reduced. (Small XP increase)

Expert - A larger increase to damage taken and larger decrease to damage done, enemies will be flagged and their abilities will be cast with far smaller delays than Journeyman. Healing reduced slightly. (bigger XP increase)

Master - Extreme increase to damage taken and Extreme decrease to damage done. Enemies will not be messing around. Once you flag them, their abilities wlll be almost instant and keep you on your toes! Healing is greatly decreased and tactics will be a bigger factor than ever before. (GREAT XP increase.)

and of course.. What would an Elder Scrolls game be, without the highest of them all?

Legendary - You are fodder to the enemies of the Free Peoples of Tamriel. Prepare yourself for you'll need to carefuly plan your attacks and encounters. Squads of enemies will bear the difficutly of Master, but with an added twist : They can run away and seek reinforcements if nearby.

Should you prove yourself a worthy foe, can you survive the onslaught should you fail to reach that retreating enemy?

But now you may ask yourself.. Only XP bonus? No other rewards? And I believe that we could have an extra reward. Tied to classes. Begin a new adventure and change your difficulty as early as level 5 and you'll be eligible to a title, perhaps even a piece of cosmetic tied to the theme of the class! Or a memento... Or all of the above! The sky is the limit in ESO. And nobody wants to see a world thrive and succeed more than it's players.

Oh and an increase to Furnishing Mats dropped in the world would be nice too if we're playing on the harder modes.

So please, ZOS. If you read this, concider following the Lord of the Rings Online's footsteps. And improve upon it with the world scaling system of ESO. You have a gold mine of content under your hands from community, to content creation to potentially other things!

I like this - because there is something in for me as well - I said before, that something like this should benefit a larger crowd and this would definitely do that. And it would as well allow, to make parts of the game easier (eventually just for a short while) with a trade-off in XP gain - which could be good when faced with something slightly too hard for now, but where one could grow into, if there is a way, to experience it first with reduced difficulty (thinking of world bosses here). And it could as well help newbies to face their first quest end bosses on a level, which suits them more - and the gap between trash mob and end boss would not be so harsh, until they can go back to normal.

For my personal point of view, journeyman sounds like something I could apply to my younger characters right away - and my higher ones could attempt expert (if latency allows for it), well the latter maybe with the exception of bosses (guess, I'd need this exception). So yeah, highly likely that I would use that as well. And for world bosses the cowardly setting for me -. eh, novice I mean.

So yeah great idea.

World Bosses should not be solo'd. Entering a World Boss area should cancel out your difficulty slider. This is meant for overland questing experience and delving.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been a long time I've not touched ESO seriously in the past couple of months. My time spent wandering the lands of Eriador on the Treebeard slow-prog server of The Lord of the Rings Online and seeing the sights... And testing something over these beautiful lands.

Treebeard is one of the game's Legendary Servers, which also has the added feature of altering one's own difficulty of play in ways that it makes the player character weaker (Like Battle Spirit being used) and most important of all, adds to the immersion of being a character in a world where hostile forces are encroaching ever so more on the innocent Free Peoples.

Hard : Slight Increase in Damage Taken and Slight Decrease in Damage done (Some XP bonus)
    Dangerous : Great Increase in Damage Taken and Great Decrease in Damage Done (Bigger XP bonus)
    Deadly : Extreme increase in Damage Taken and Extreme Decrease in Damage Done. (Great XP bonus only)

And man, is it an immersive experience. To fight enemies that are far underneath my level of play and still having to be careful with my footing. Yet it never felt as if I was slowed down to a crawl either. Things took a little more time, yes. but not enough to feel like my time felt wasted. And... It was completely OPTIONAL for me to do such a playthrough!

A feature like this would thrive in the world of ESO, for we have Battle Spirit, a buff that can be used and expanded upon with different modifiers to allow players to play the world of The Elder Scrolls Online at it's fullest of potentials. Imagine it! Being able to alter your difficulty from :

Novice - Decrease in Damage Taken and Increase in Damage Done (Decrease of XP gain to further focus mainly on the story aspect of the game and allow the player to take their time and learn how to use their mechanics.)

Apprentice - The Game as it is currently, for those who are used to playing ESO but don't want added challenge or feel like they are coming out of novice and want to try something a little spicier. (No XP changes.)

Journeyman- Small increase to damage taken and decrease to damage done, enemies will be flagged and attacks aimed towards you will be a little faster to test your reaction time. Healing is not reduced. (Small XP increase)

Expert - A larger increase to damage taken and larger decrease to damage done, enemies will be flagged and their abilities will be cast with far smaller delays than Journeyman. Healing reduced slightly. (bigger XP increase)

Master - Extreme increase to damage taken and Extreme decrease to damage done. Enemies will not be messing around. Once you flag them, their abilities wlll be almost instant and keep you on your toes! Healing is greatly decreased and tactics will be a bigger factor than ever before. (GREAT XP increase.)

and of course.. What would an Elder Scrolls game be, without the highest of them all?

Legendary - You are fodder to the enemies of the Free Peoples of Tamriel. Prepare yourself for you'll need to carefuly plan your attacks and encounters. Squads of enemies will bear the difficutly of Master, but with an added twist : They can run away and seek reinforcements if nearby.

Should you prove yourself a worthy foe, can you survive the onslaught should you fail to reach that retreating enemy?

But now you may ask yourself.. Only XP bonus? No other rewards? And I believe that we could have an extra reward. Tied to classes. Begin a new adventure and change your difficulty as early as level 5 and you'll be eligible to a title, perhaps even a piece of cosmetic tied to the theme of the class! Or a memento... Or all of the above! The sky is the limit in ESO. And nobody wants to see a world thrive and succeed more than it's players.

Oh and an increase to Furnishing Mats dropped in the world would be nice too if we're playing on the harder modes.

So please, ZOS. If you read this, concider following the Lord of the Rings Online's footsteps. And improve upon it with the world scaling system of ESO. You have a gold mine of content under your hands from community, to content creation to potentially other things!

I like this - because there is something in for me as well - I said before, that something like this should benefit a larger crowd and this would definitely do that. And it would as well allow, to make parts of the game easier (eventually just for a short while) with a trade-off in XP gain - which could be good when faced with something slightly too hard for now, but where one could grow into, if there is a way, to experience it first with reduced difficulty (thinking of world bosses here). And it could as well help newbies to face their first quest end bosses on a level, which suits them more - and the gap between trash mob and end boss would not be so harsh, until they can go back to normal.

For my personal point of view, journeyman sounds like something I could apply to my younger characters right away - and my higher ones could attempt expert (if latency allows for it), well the latter maybe with the exception of bosses (guess, I'd need this exception). So yeah, highly likely that I would use that as well. And for world bosses the cowardly setting for me -. eh, novice I mean.

So yeah great idea.

World Bosses should not be solo'd. Entering a World Boss area should cancel out your difficulty slider. This is meant for overland questing experience and delving.

I know, I tried it by accident, not knowing that it is a world boss and failed miserably. But the only way to get around fear is to face it - it would be easier to face though, if I could make it slightly less scary - that was my thought behind it.

You know, with my latency issue I can just do that on my own - if other people are around, that is helpful ´combat-wise, but the latency spike coming from that (and especially the huge amount of particles causing lag) will just kill me. I have no chance to do that with other people around - my only choice is on my own or not at all.

I'm not even thinking of actually winning, but to get used to the situation on hand and learn something from it. The longer I last in the fight, the more I will learn from it. That is the idea. With normal difficulty I learn nothing from it - that is like being hit by a truck.
    Edited by Lysette on June 5, 2022 10:49PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So yeah great idea.

World bosses are already mostly soloable and they even marketed the companions as a feature that would help more players solo them.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So yeah great idea.

The questing and delving experience is like that - most of the foes are dead anyway - all it takes is running as quickly as possible through the delve and most do it like that. For that you don't need that, there are pretty much no foes. That is the general problem with not having a solo instance in a delve - so many run in to fetch the skyshard that most of the enemies are dead - it is just not fun like this.
    Edited by Lysette on June 5, 2022 10:57PM
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    optional harder overland content with better loot, please. The quests are way too easy, it is impossible to take the storylines seriously.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SerasWhip wrote: »
    optional harder overland content with better loot, please. The quests are way too easy, it is impossible to take the storylines seriously.

Sometimes for sure - the queen's decree - the aldarch last for 2 seconds, even with a very low level character. He cannot even complete his sentence. But seriously, even doubling his health or tripling it, would not make that much of a difference. Ok, his minions would at least have a chance to spawn, but if you ignore them and just go on him, it would be just a few seconds more. What does that help actually?
    Edited by Lysette on June 5, 2022 11:20PM
  • Fingolfinn01
    Fingolfinn01
    ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes for sure - the queen's decree - the aldarch last for 2 seconds, even with a very low level character. He cannot even complete his sentence. But seriously, even doubling his health or tripling it, would not make that much of a difference. Ok, his minions would at least have a chance to spawn, but if you ignore them and just go on him, it would be just a few seconds more. What does that help actually?

A good quest is punctuated by a difficult boss fight.

We have what we have and i enjoy the storylines
    PC-NA
  • Mrtoobyy
    Mrtoobyy
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes please! It's ironic that Molag bal a daedric prince is easier than a big Dreugh in FG grotto...
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭

It is understandable that some bosses will still be easy even with increased difficulty, others won't. I think it would suffice if your average mob is at least as strong as the guards in Cyrodiil, and the bosses would scale accordingly. Again, this should be compensated with better loot as well, it wouldn't make sense for both normal and veteran mobs to have the same kill value.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And so the circle is closing again - if the average mob is that strong, then this is not about questing at all, but about killing more stuff in an overland environment and getting more loot and rewards for it - and then my definitive answer to this is "no". Either it is for you about questing, then those in a quest area might be stronger, but not the normal trash mob - or you secretly want something else and use "boring quests" as an excuse to get a "killing more stuff" overland.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Lysette.
    PCNA
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And so the circle is closing again - if the average mob is that strong, then this is not about questing at all, but about killing more stuff in an overland environment and getting more loot and rewards for it - and then my definitive answer to this is "no". Either it is for you about questing, then those in a quest area might be stronger, but not the normal trash mob - or you secretly want something else and use "boring quests" as an excuse to get a "killing more stuff" overland.

I don't understand this at all. There is no distinction between a "quest area" and "overland environment". The entire overland is a quest area, as well as every delve. For me this entire harder-overland push is about questing, because questing without difficult enemies is unimmersive (to me). And since most enemies that quests have you fight are trash mobs, immersive quests require harder trash mobs (for me).

Maybe I misunderstood the distinction you were trying to make. As far as I see it, average mobs being strong (and bosses being made accordingly stronger) is exactly what the quests in this game lack. I guess if you could somehow identify mobs that are in isolated corners where quests never take you -- presumably a very tiny portion of the total overland -- and exempt them from any changes I wouldn't argue with that. I wouldn't really care about that either way, though it seems like a lot of work for not much gain.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the average mob is strong enough for you then the whole thing is a lot of work for not much gain - because just a tiny fraction of the player base wants that and would be playing this. Think of something what benefits a larger crowd and it might happen sometime in the future - if it just benefits like 5% of the player base, then it is very unlikely to ever happen.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean just look at the outcry about the card game. It would be even worse if a whole lot of work gets into something, where 1 in 20 is happy and the other 19 are saying "what a waste of time, it should''ve been gone into something else" - do you think, that ZOS is eager to get this kind of feedback. They rather ignore 5% than to make 95% angry about wasted efforts.
    Edited by Lysette on June 6, 2022 4:48PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What I like to see better - solo mode for a quest, if I like to do it solo (with or without Mirri) - like the harborage quests. At least when it is inside, the outdoor parts can stay as they are. But when it comes to the really exciting parts, I would like to do them on my own, uninterrupted, with all the foes I should encounter actually there - that I can feel accomplished, when the quest is over - and not like not deserving those XP, because others have done the work or pretty much no foes being around.

I see your desire, but I would have to agree with those here who say this is an MMO, not a single player game.

I live most of my time solo, but I do not expect this.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So many denied the desire for "better loot" early in this thread.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I mean just look at the outcry about the card game. It would be even worse if a whole lot of work gets into something, where 1 in 20 is happy and the other 19 are saying "what a waste of time, it should''ve been gone into something else" - do you think, that ZOS is eager to get this kind of feedback. They rather ignore 5% than to make 95% angry about wasted efforts.

They clearly don't mind since we are definitely getting the card game.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They clearly don't mind since we are definitely getting the card game.

But it has a good chance to win people over - whereas extreme difficulty has the opposite effect, most will not even want to try it, because it is so far out of their reach. That is the problem with being Elite - you are just a few.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I like to see better - solo mode for a quest, if I like to do it solo (with or without Mirri) - like the harborage quests. At least when it is inside, the outdoor parts can stay as they are. But when it comes to the really exciting parts, I would like to do them on my own, uninterrupted, with all the foes I should encounter actually there - that I can feel accomplished, when the quest is over - and not like not deserving those XP, because others have done the work or pretty much no foes being around.

I see your desire, but I would have to agree with those here who say this is an MMO, not a single player game.

I live most of my time solo, but I do not expect this.

It is not something which would not have been done before inside the zenimax group - Bethesda has that on offer with Fallout 76. Private instances for 100 bucks a year - it comes with the "premium" subscription. So the general idea of it is not necessarily alien to them. I would gladly pay this for a flawless questing experience uninterrupted by other players.
    Edited by Lysette on June 6, 2022 6:06PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A vet mode would need at least a little better loot, however it's implemented. Because the time it takes to kill the mob is longer, so without a loot increase they'd be punished for using vet.

For example, let's use some example numbers. These aren't meant to be realistic just illustrative of concept.

Let's say on average the player could kill 10 mobs per minute at 100 coins per mob. They'd get 1k coins per minute.

Now that same person is using a vet option and their power is cut in half. So they can only kill 5 mobs per minute at 100 coins per mob. They'd get 500 coins. If those mobs had a 2x multiplier, they'd still get 1k coins per minute either mode.

While on paper they'd seem to be getting more (2X multiplier) all it would do is give them parity with normal.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 6, 2022 7:16PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I believe that you seriously want a better questing experience - but that is you and my opinion, I believe you.

Otherwise I would say, if it is about a better questing experience, you wouldn't care about the loot at all. The benefit would be the better questing experience. And if loot matters that much, that you wouldn't want to use vet mode, then it was never really about a better questing experience in the first place.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I believe that you seriously want a better questing experience - but that is you and my opinion, I believe you.

Otherwise I would say, if it is about a better questing experience, you wouldn't care about the loot at all. The benefit would be the better questing experience. And if loot matters that much, that you wouldn't want to use vet mode, then it was never really about a better questing experience in the first place.

Sure, but I think there's a difference between not wanting to be punished and wanting superior loot to what people playing on normal receive. Personally, I don't think it should give you better loot than normal. The better questing experience is it's own reward. But I also don't think that players should be punished for using it either. So I think it really depends on what the person is asking to get.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 6, 2022 7:49PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Sure, but I think there's a difference between not wanting to be punished and wanting superior loot to what people playing on normal receive. Personally, I don't think it should give you better loot than normal. The better questing experience is it's own reward. But I also don't think that players should be punished for using it either. So I think it really depends on what the person is asking to get.

That is most likely a nightmare to balance - and eventually a lot of work as well. And if it is true, that most mob is not done via a template but with hard coded data, then any difficulty has to come from changing numbers player-side - which wouldn't make an easy enemy longer lasting, if he is too weak to begin with. Take my example of the Aldarch in "the queen's decree" -- it would not matter how weak the player would be - the Aldarch has too less health points to stand a chance. So it might not take longer to kill him, because he is too weak to begin with.

It took my at that time level 15 character 2 shots with snipe, not even a morph and just 1 passive bow skill, to kill him. And enmies like that are in the game a whole lot. If those have all to be adjusted by hand, that means a lot of work for ZOS. Ok, Ihad more than 34k stamina and about 18% crit chance, eventually he last a shot or two longer with different stats, but wouldn't be more difficult.
    Edited by Lysette on June 6, 2022 8:15PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that is the crux with that - you could get your stats reduced by 70% and it would not take you significantly longer to kill most mob. So why better loot then, it is not more dangerous.
    Edited by Lysette on June 6, 2022 8:18PM
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most games I've played, they just make the %gain similar to the %decrease, and it works out about right. Also you would definitely kill slower if your dps was decreased by 70%.

edit:

It's not just about singular encounters but your progress over time, too.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on June 6, 2022 8:54PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have said it in the wrong way - I basically meant, it is not more challenge in most places, just more tedious. Do you really want this?
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have said it in the wrong way - I basically meant, it is not more challenge in most places, just more tedious. Do you really want this?

Well, the debuff I proposed would do more than just decrease your damage. It would increase damage taken, add environmental effects, and add special attacks to a small amount of elite mobs and quest bosses. Someone mentioned also debuffing healing, and I agree that would be a good idea too. So it would be more challenging, similar to the LOTRO slider.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

Well, the debuff I proposed would do more than just decrease your damage. It would increase damage taken, add environmental effects, and add special attacks to a small amount of elite mobs and quest bosses. Someone mentioned also debuffing healing, and I agree that would be a good idea too. So it would be more challenging, similar to the LOTRO slider.

I like that idea actually, but there was as well something in it for casuals - in both directions, making it slightly harder or slightly less difficult. That is something I would actually use and I guess a lot would, even casuals. Something like that sounds very reasonable - but the question is how hard would it be for ZOS to implement that.

The hardest modes of that leave no margin for error though - that would be really tough fights and your first mistake is your last. What could be hurtful, if there is a lag spike by some reason.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk if this is the right place to post it, but.... why is there a cap for how many players gets the loot ? Apparently there is a cap of 12, so only top 12 dps (players who have done top damage) gets the loot from mobs & bosses.

I guess it may be some kind of "safety mechanism" from the times long ago, back in the days when zone had different levels, so that each new zone was getting harder & harder - but with better gear & more experience. So that a low level player would not get instant level-up.

But with all honesty... why this cap of 12 not removed when zones were all converted (One Tamriel update) to what we have now ? This cap serves no purpose and it is only the source of frustration. And Healers and Tanks ? Yes, no loot for them too.
  • summ0004
    summ0004
    ✭✭✭
    Geez havent checked this thread for about 3 months and its still going on.

I feel its a real shame ZOS cannot see the opportunity here to shake up and modernize the game by making it accessible to more players.

I would love to come back and play the game, doings quests, exploration and world bosses but the lack of any challenge ruins the game for me now to the point where I have put the game on a hiatus for the time being over the last 3 months.

I am not hopeful for any changes due to ZOS lack of foresight, complacency and stubbornness.

Shame as I really like the general game design if the difficulty issue was resolved.

This game could have so much more potential and would appeal to MMO players, and players who enjoy single player RPGs and potentially offers and experience that no other game on the market currently does.