The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

EU Server Performance - Update from Matt Firor

• Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    Why situation on EU side is worse than on NA? With all do respect, German network infrastructure is one of the oldest in EU, they were one of the first to have it but it wasn't upgraded to the newest standards:

"According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, less than 2 percent of Germany's broadband connections are carried by pure fiber-optic systems."

Source:
    https://www.npr.org/2019/01/03/678803790/berlin-is-a-tech-hub-so-why-are-germanys-internet-speeds-so-slow?t=1561623173667

That's why I think ZOS should think about moving their EU servers somewhere else!

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/8ljfc6/fiberoptic_penetration_european_ranking/

This does not concern us.
    It only shows the poor decision-making skills on ZoS' end.
    If the infrastructure is poor or old or might introduce some problems, they should have done their research better before setting up shop in there.
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should have 3 data centers.
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delparis wrote: »
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

Don't be ridiculous. Ukraine is not particularly safe for server centers, and China is way too far.
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ydrisselle wrote: »
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

Don't be ridiculous. Ukraine is not particularly safe for server centers, and China is way too far.

UK not the best either, they have old infrastructure as well.

Ironically the ex communist east Europe countries has one of the most modern internet infrastructure in EU, as in the nineties after they left the soviet bloc and integrated into Europe they had nothing so they built up their infrastructure from the ground with the latest technology. The west Europe countries already had a wide spread communication network and built the internet on the top of that so there's old technology beneath everything here.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

Lol, so servers which provide functioning of financial, IT, mobile network etc infrastructures for France-size country are safe, and ESO's 2 racks with pentium 3 won't be safe? :D
    Edited by MartiniDaniels on June 27, 2019 10:50PM
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

Lol, so servers which provide functioning of financial, IT, mobile network etc infrastructures for France-size country are safe, and ESO's 2 racks with pentium 3 won't be safe? :D

I think they are also not so safe. Don't forget that Ukraine is still in a war... but it's low profile right now.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »
    Why situation on EU side is worse than on NA? With all do respect, German network infrastructure is one of the oldest in EU, they were one of the first to have it but it wasn't upgraded to the newest standards:

"According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, less than 2 percent of Germany's broadband connections are carried by pure fiber-optic systems."

Source:
    https://www.npr.org/2019/01/03/678803790/berlin-is-a-tech-hub-so-why-are-germanys-internet-speeds-so-slow?t=1561623173667

That's why I think ZOS should think about moving their EU servers somewhere else!

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/8ljfc6/fiberoptic_penetration_european_ranking/

I suggest the servers in the icy north of Sweden! <3

Only problem though, Sweden is ridiculously expensive in most ways, so I guess it's out of question. I live quite close to the Facebook servers, and they constantly speak of getting more big Internet established business here - but I don't know really. We got really good Internet here, rather cheap electricity, free "cooling" for servers and what not. But Sweden at large is a mess.
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

Uk yes
    Ukraine ? Pfft
    China? Nah

How about
    Australia
    Singapore
    Uk
    Germany
    America 1
    America 2

That should pretty much cover the lot
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MJallday wrote: »
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

Uk yes
    Ukraine ? Pfft
    China? Nah

How about
    Australia
    Singapore
    Uk
    Germany
    America 1
    America 2

That should pretty much cover the lot

why not.

but maybe think about
    1. Western Europ server (UK)
    2. Eastern Europ server (Russia, Greece or Turkey?)
    3. Oceanian server (Singapore)
    4. North America server
    5. South America server

I think this won't happen anyway
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZoS you Grinched our Pelinal event, give us something equally rewarding please.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If i could move all
    My content across servers like wow, id switch to PC NA from Xbox EU, pc seems to get the most amount of love from the devs
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's getting a bit silly now. PC EU servers are pretty bad, love to play but cannot.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Regnarp
    Regnarp
    Soul Shriven
    Can't even login to the EU server atm. error 201

hilarious Mr Firor... Hilarious!!!!!
  • chess1ukb16_ESO
    chess1ukb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not have anything good to say about Zenimax at the moment. I think you are letting your customers down very badly.

Ireniicus
    GM - Tamriel Traders Guild (TTG); Divine Deals; Allmart & The Alchemist Emporium
  • arena25
    arena25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have anything good to say about Zenimax at the moment. I think you are letting your customers down very badly.

To be 100% fair, I don't think most gaming companies were fully prepared for a mass exodus of Blizzard players (in addition the massive amounts of toxicity that are now present in games like ESO and FFXIV). Between World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth becoming a massive fail and other Blizzard games sliding down in popularity due to a whole host of issues, I don't think any game was fully prepared for Blizzard to run aground into so many issues and then deal with a whole host of players leaving for pastures new.

That being said, while I still have high hopes for ESO, I agree that there is a lot of things that can and must be done. There's no time for screwing around.
    If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • StabbityDoom
    StabbityDoom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Genuine question. Why does EU have it so much worse than NA?
    PC/NA
    EHT zealot
    streamer: http://twitch.tv/stabbitydoom
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Genuine question. Why does EU have it so much worse than NA?
    Because its outsourced to an German hosting company so it does not the the attention the US server get.
    As I understand its also has highest population and this generates problems.

Pretty sure they also test updates on an copy of US database. As EU database hold other data including errors patching has an higher chance of failing.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arena25 wrote: »

To be 100% fair, I don't think most gaming companies were fully prepared for a mass exodus of Blizzard players (in addition the massive amounts of toxicity that are now present in games like ESO and FFXIV). Between World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth becoming a massive fail and other Blizzard games sliding down in popularity due to a whole host of issues, I don't think any game was fully prepared for Blizzard to run aground into so many issues and then deal with a whole host of players leaving for pastures new.

That being said, while I still have high hopes for ESO, I agree that there is a lot of things that can and must be done. There's no time for screwing around.
    Yes, this hit ESO a lot, lots of the server infrastructure like the finder is a mess and getting a lot of new players generated loads of problems, they added more servers for handling instances but this don't help with other services like finder, login or character swap. Technicaly Cyrodil should not be impacted as its an seperate server for each instance but pretty sure it communicate a lot with the main database server.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Micknator
    Micknator
    Soul Shriven
    Why not have it in the Netherlands? One of the massive trans-Atlantic lines comes into Amsterdam and we have a very good infrastructure when it comes to networking.

Just saying ;)
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey people do you have any problems with ping after the last "maintenance"?
    idk why but in Frankfurt am Main my ping grows high enough to be unplayable in bgs or IC

8 42 ms 41 ms 41 ms ffm-b7-link.telia.net [62.115.170.100]
    9 38 ms 38 ms 38 ms ffm-bb3-link.telia.net [80.91.254.102]
    10 38 ms 37 ms 38 ms ffm-b1-link.telia.net [62.115.141.241]
    11 144 ms 142 ms 145 ms dtag-ic-319285-ffm-b1.c.telia.net [213.248.93.185]
    12 139 ms 152 ms 153 ms 195.122.154.1
  • Katlefiya
    Katlefiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why situation on EU side is worse than on NA? With all do respect, German network infrastructure is one of the oldest in EU, they were one of the first to have it but it wasn't upgraded to the newest standards

FYI the DE-CIX in Frankfurt is the largest exchange point worldwide in terms of peak traffic with a maximum throughput of more than 6.7 Tbit/s. It is also the first IX worldwide to offer 400-Gigabit Ethernet access technology. So much for "it wasn't upgraded to the newest standards".

Edited by Katlefiya on July 2, 2019 7:39PM
  • Pagea2785
    Pagea2785
    Soul Shriven
    How can you sleep at night Matt knowing your customers are paying for a game that basically dead in the water now? I don't want to leave eso but I'm literally being forced into making that decision!
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    1. 1 in UK
    2. 1 in Ukraine
    3. 1 in China

UK not the best either, they have old infrastructure as well.

Ironically the ex communist east Europe countries has one of the most modern internet infrastructure in EU, as in the nineties after they left the soviet bloc and integrated into Europe they had nothing so they built up their infrastructure from the ground with the latest technology. The west Europe countries already had a wide spread communication network and built the internet on the top of that so there's old technology beneath everything here.

I hate our server hubs in the UK we're only just now modernising them.

I would move ESO from frankfurt to Amsterdam tbh. One of the best places in europe for data centers as far as I know.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I can make some room in my basement for the servers. I live in the Netherlands, Frysia.

We have the fastest but green internet. It's called "grassfiber" internet.

Edited by Knootewoot on July 3, 2019 6:29AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Today, members of the ESO team are participating in a Reddit AMA over on the ESO subreddit. We have seen your questions and concerns about EU server performance, server capacity, and issues with the Activity Finder, and wanted to make sure we addressed them in the AMA and here. Below is a response from Game Director Matt Firor.
    Hello! I suspect we'll get questions about performance more than a few times today, so I prepared a description of what we have going on to address performance concerns - on a number of fronts.

Even though there is very little new information here, we definitely could be doing a better job of keeping everyone appraised of how things are going while we are in process. We will be better messengers in the future keeping everyone up to date on longer-term fixes and updates.

First, server capacity. As we all know, we had server capacity issues a few months back, especially on the PC EU servers. We were forced to temporarily cap the number of concurrent users on PC EU and put up a queuing system to enforce it. We got the new capacity online for PC EU in a week, and added that same capacity for PC NA (which was very close to experiencing the same problems). We took the queuing system down, and we can now support the concurrency demand we are seeing.

Second, the looking for group system. As we posted last week, we are working on a 100% revamp of this system, which is mostly used for Dungeon and Battleground queuing. We have a version done that we are testing in-house, although it will be a while before it goes live. We want to make sure that the solution we have scales correctly and will support the now massive numbers of players that are using the system. We are planning for revamped LFG system to be in Update 24, depending on how testing is going. Until then, we will continue with the only solution we have (which we posted about last week in the LFG update) - cap the number of players in the queue. We know it is extremely frustrating to not be able to queue for dungeons and BGs and get "cannot join queue" when you try, but at least now once you get into a queue successfully, you should be able to join the dungeon or BG.

Third: overall performance. Rich talked about this in his end of year message six months ago: we are currently implementing sweeping optimization and memory management client architecture changes that should improve client performance and especially client stability. These optimizations will be most noticeable on lower-spec PCs, base Xbox, and base PS4, but overall everyone should notice better stability and performance. This is scheduled for Update 24. Additionally, we have another set of optimizations scheduled for Q1 next year that will reduce the client "footprint" requirements and should speed up loading times.

Fourth: Longer term, we are in the beginning stages of combat system performance improvements that should improve overall game performance in Cyrodiil and Trials. Stay tuned for updates on this.

Obviously if anything else crops up, we'll investigate. I know that it can seem like it takes an inordinate amount of time to address performance problems, but we need to take our time and make sure that we don't introduce new issues while we do this. Thanks for your patience, and we will keep you updated.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/bwdb0r/welcome_to_the_elsweyr_update_22_aua/epwuxj0/

You'll find more details in our PC-EU Server Update thread from April here.

As we've been saying for ages now, the issue is not software but HARDWARE! All these things will not change a thing. You'll just be wasting both money and time
    The Gaming Rev
    YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Magicka Nightblade, Breton
    Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    As we've been saying for ages now, the issue is not software but HARDWARE! All these things will not change a thing. You'll just be wasting both money and time

It's the exact opposite. Hardware is cheap, if they could solve all problems by throwing more hardware at them, they would.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katlefiya wrote: »
    Why situation on EU side is worse than on NA? With all do respect, German network infrastructure is one of the oldest in EU, they were one of the first to have it but it wasn't upgraded to the newest standards

FYI the DE-CIX in Frankfurt is the largest exchange point worldwide in terms of peak traffic with a maximum throughput of more than 6.7 Tbit/s. It is also the first IX worldwide to offer 400-Gigabit Ethernet access technology. So much for "it wasn't upgraded to the newest standards".

If I'll put new v12 engine into old volkswagen can I start calling it ferrari ?
  • eol
    eol
    ✭✭✭
    Micknator wrote: »
    Why not have it in the Netherlands? One of the massive trans-Atlantic lines comes into Amsterdam and we have a very good infrastructure when it comes to networking.

Just saying ;)

because many Americans don't know there are any other countries in Europe besides the UK, Germany, France and Italy, and they would be lucky to locate those on a map. ;) As an American who used to live in Europe (London), I used to cringe when I would hear US tourists talking in public, on the tube or on the streets. Luckily I couldn't be identified as an American if I didn't talk, so I was able to avoid the silent scorn of the loud, ignorant Americans.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merlight wrote: »
    Amorpho wrote: »

It's the exact opposite. Hardware is cheap, if they could solve all problems by throwing more hardware at them, they would.

Yup. It seems pretty clear, at this point, that it is not simply hardware. They look to have have reached the point where additional hardware no longer "fixes" things because it can no longer compensate for performance problems elsewhere.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the answer why the game performance is trash

ESO is using the HERO ENGINE

jsoolvvc5oeu.jpg

A single thread engine that already sinken SWTOR because of it bad performance.

ESO is really in a bad shape, Bioware devs were never been able to fix SWTOR. I think Zenimax will never do better.

Be prepared for the worst