The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

U21 launch day load times and how you can help

• Eweroun
    Eweroun
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh, and some tricks...

- stack potions/poisons/food/drinks in bank
    - do your 2.000.000 crafting writs you saved before monday morning :#
    - time to finally get rid of that gear you 'thought you might ever need' :D
    - collect your 154.589 surveys
    - dump the treasure maps (yes, you all save them, but never collect)

<3
    |Lunar Lattice - Guildmaster / Fullmoon group raidlead|
    |Potato Knights - former core member|
    |former dd-"The Phoenix Reborn", former raidlead "Omnia Vincit /Playdead"|

clears: vCrag HM - vMoL HM - vHoF HM - vAS HM (+2) - vCR+3 - vSS HM
  • ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    Yepp, going to transmute things so I can get rid of the geodes in my inventory. Do surveys and treasure maps (this will take most of the time I think), will decon everything that can be deconned and isn't meant for analysis. Every blue and green blueprints in my inventory and bank that are base game and not worth much will be learned by alts, the rest listed in the guild store. Everything left I cannot get rid of immediately will be send to friends who won't log in the next month probably and even if they won't have much more load screen even with those as they only have one or two toons. When that is done I will try and trade duplicate blueprints and motif pages for ones not learned yet. The rest will be send to those friends as well probably. When done with this I will put every furniture item I only got one time jn my bank into one house and all stacked ones will stay in the bank.
    Metal forever \m/
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eweroun wrote: »

Indeed, it's time to let go of all the "Oh, I might use that one day" items. :D
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Mr_Wolfe
    Mr_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    This is unacceptable.

It already takes me the better part of a day to download each new update, but at least I can play other (offline) games while I wait. Now you want to completely tie up my Xbox as well as my internet connection for an indefinite period?

I've got a better idea: How about on release day I uninstall ESO, cancel my plus membership, and never look back?
  • Wayshuba
    Wayshuba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a big deal for me with a flexible work schedule. After patch I will load up and log in... then leave for work.

Hopefully eight hours later it should be done.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know stuff like this before it happens so people can spread the word.

Would have been total chaos at forums about endless loadscreens at monday if this was not told to us.

Most likely still will be some though..

Personally, i guess i will get the 2 hours load time, with all the hoarding that done.. oh well, not gonna clean up anything but rather will do my time waiting then. :D
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. Sometimes, there are necessary evils, and hopefully whatever's being done will shorten load times in the future.

I definitely want to reiterate as several other insightful commenters have already pointed out that you absolutely MUST put a message up that everyone loading the game cannot miss. Explain it as it was explained here. Otherwise, it's going to be pandemonium.

Now, a question:

Does the game need to be connected to the internet during this process?

Or could I say, start this load screen process and then leave my laptop running in my car while I drive home even if it's got no internet connection during that time?

I am worried about this. PSN fails on me fairly regularly even though I have not lost Internet connectivity. My friends list fails to load and then appears to be empty before reappearing. ESO reverts to the character screen with an error message. This rarely happens when I am actually "playing" a specific character, but is common each morning when I cycle through my 15 characters on each server to collect their toxin satchels.

I am concerned that a two-hour loading screen will hit this PSN failure issue, preventing this transfer of data to ever successfully complete @ZOS_ginabruno
  • TruthSeeker
    TruthSeeker
    ✭✭✭
    ... .

Now, a question:

Does the game need to be connected to the internet during this process?

Or could I say, start this load screen process and then leave my laptop running in my car while I drive home even if it's got no internet connection during that time?

I am worried about this. PSN fails on me fairly regularly even though I have not lost Internet connectivity. My friends list fails to load and then appears to be empty before reappearing. ESO reverts to the character screen with an error message. This rarely happens when I am actually "playing" a specific character, but is common each morning when I cycle through my 15 characters on each server to collect their toxin satchels.

I am concerned that a two-hour loading screen will hit this PSN failure issue, preventing this transfer of data to ever successfully complete @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Or how about you do this during the literal maintenance? What does my local download have to do with your server database?
    That would increase the maintenance time a lot as they also had to do it on inactive accounts and accounts who simply would not log in on Monday. so 6 hours or more donwtime.

Then don't do it on inactive accounts
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only people I feel bad for are the ones with multiple accounts. 2 hour log in time on each account. Best of luck.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad we got the heads up but I'm concerned that we're getting more information from @ZOS_KaiSchober than @ZOS_GinaBruno yet again because communication is horrible. We're asking yes or no questions and still can't get an answer from Gina.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No big deal. My home storage, bank, and 7 toons are all maxed out so I'll be on the long end of things. There are tons of other stuff that I can do that morning and it will pay off in the long run.
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Opportunity arises from adversity.

I'm putting together a contest for my social guild for Mother of All Load Screens day.

We're coordinating logins via Discord. As each contestant successfully logs, he or she will drop a gift in the guild bank. Last one in gets the pot... as a sympathy prize.

The Contest No One Wants to Win, lol
  • KittyHazWares
    KittyHazWares
    ✭✭✭

I would bet good money that it includes craft bags, since the craft bag is effectively just an extension of your inventory (and the original post includes bank space, which is directly comparable to the craft bag, just on a smaller scale). In fact, if I had to guess, I'd wager that the craft bag will probably take up the bulk of time, since there are no limits to how many things you can store there.

I’m thinking so as well (how could it not though, right?) but really hoping it’s not the case..

My BF and I will be screwed!! All we do is buy/sell/trade in this game. We’ll have that several hour load time for sure.

Ugh I hope nothing goes wrong and people don’t lose anything important..
    Edited by KittyHazWares on February 23, 2019 2:33PM
    Xbox One NA
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Next Monday with the PC launch of Update 21, we’ll be implementing some code related to ESO’s database that will allow us greater flexibility with updates and maintenance as it continues to grow over time. Due to this change, after downloading the patch on Monday, you are likely to encounter a very long load screen upon first logging into the game. This will only occur the first time you log in after character select, and it will not affect subsequent logins. That said, the length of the load screen could vary anywhere between 5-10 minutes to a couple hours. We understand this is far from ideal and is frustrating on launch day, but it’s a necessary evil just this one time.

Now, this loading is actually directly tied to the total number of bank items, inventory items, and mail attachments everyone has. This means if you’re able to clear out excess items in your inventory and attachments before maintenance begins Monday morning (or even just reduce them), this will greatly help the amount of loading the client will need to do! Additionally, once you’re at the load screen, please just wait until you’ve made it into the game; closing the client will not speed things up.

Thanks for your understanding, everyone, and we look forward to Wrathstone and Update 21 launch in just a few days!

Are housing chests also going to effect this? Or just bank, inventory and mail?

Will housing items going to play a factor as well? Should we log out in a non home location or a undecorated one? Or will that not have an impact?
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    therift wrote: »

I'm putting together a contest for my social guild for Mother of All Load Screens day.

We're coordinating logins via Discord. As each contestant successfully logs, he or she will drop a gift in the guild bank. Last one in gets the pot... as a sympathy prize.

You do understand that the last one to load has the largest amount of things in their inventory of all people? That means that poor soul has to manage inventory with added complexity of the sympathy prize xD More like the last straw to break the bull's back
    Edited by NoTimeToWait on February 23, 2019 2:35PM
  • therift
    therift
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You do understand that the last one to load has the largest amount of things in their inventory of all people? That means that poor soul has to manage inventory with added complexity of the sympathy prize xD More like the last straw to break the bull's back

That's part of the humor. ;)
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Half my characters are storage toons. No way I'm going to junk all those sets, especially when they said they would be updating some of the old ones.Guess a two hour load is in my future.

As long as we don't ACCIDENTALLY LOSE anything, I'm good.

Please be careful with this.
    Edited by tonemd on February 23, 2019 2:51PM
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know what?

2 hours is the supposed stated max, right? Sucks, but I'm not gonna start tossing stuff I've been saving for a reason and losing my mind.

I'll just boot up the game and go read a book for a while, then meander back a few hours later. LOL
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Which of these will affect the loading screen times?
    • Character Inventory during loading
    • Personal Bank
    • Crafting Bag
    • Writ Voucher storage chests
    • Crown purchased storage chests
    • Unopened Inbox mail
    • Opened Inbox mail
    • Character inventory on 'non-loading' characters

This will help get an idea of how much we would need to declutter or remove items, along with where we could move items to in order to reduce the loading screen times.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will the load time be affected by hard drive type? if I throw the game onto my ssd will the load time be quicker?
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory 'Can I have your excess stuff' post.

Do you really want that adding to your load time? ;)

I love free stuff, so sure. Send me all your unwanted excess stuff. 48 hour load screen is worth 82,000 deliveries from emptied craft bags. Except that 16,0000 Daedric Thrones guy. He can keep that s**t ;)

I'd send you my stuff.. but I'm really attached to my stuff.. in reality, I feel like I need more stuff.. so, maybe I can haz your stuff!! :)

you're practically doing an old George Carlin bit, one of my favorites...it's about other people's stuff being s**t, while your s**t is stuff...also that we all need a place to put our stuff, and your home is nothing more than a place to keep your stuff while you go out and get...more stuff...

"Stuff" by George Carlin:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

man he was so funny in his prime, i miss him...maybe that's what i'll do on monday, listen to some old carlin albums...

• fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    zsitvaij wrote: »
    I play on both PC NA and EU with a lot of stuff in bank and craft bag on both. If I launch the game on two computers, one for each server, can I parallelize this downtime or will I be banned for some ToS violation?

2 servers but 1 account (unless you have 2 accounts and didn't specify it), i'd expect that to be a violation, but zos would have to verify...as a matter of fact, I don't know if that's possible if both servers are the same account, because once you log into one of them, the second login probably wouldn't be permitted because you're already logged in...but i may be wrong on that...

OTOH, if you have two accounts, then there are two different inventories/banks, and both will each still have the long login/loading screen, and your only gain would be that they're running in parallel instead of consecutively...

• heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    alexessory wrote: »
    I think I'm going to pass out, there was a reply in the German forum that says that craft bag inventory DOES count :s (Also mentions that variety of different items is more critical than huge stacks)
    Der Handwerksbeutel zählt ebenfalls zum Inventar von daher werden ESO Plus Mitglieder garkeine Chance haben, komplett aufzuräumen. Allerdings ist das nicht so ausschlaggebend, da eine große Anzahl verschiedener Gegenstände viel kritischer ist als ein hundertfach vorhandener Gegenstand.

Translation:
    "The craft bag is also part of the inventory so ESO Plus members will not have a chance to clean up completely. However, this is not so crucial, because a large number of different items is much more critical than a hundredfold existing items."

What this means (to me) is that I am going to spend a large portion of the weekend collecting all the surveys and treasure maps I have banked, then deconning anything found in said treasure maps because it will be better to add to the existing stacks in my craftbag. And I have a lot of surveys, particularly jewelry and enchanting since I have been using them on lower level alts to get lower level mats as I level their crafting professions. Oh well, I will always get more.

Gotta try to sell off some motifs while I am at it.
    Edited by heaven13 on February 23, 2019 4:30PM
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up, Gina. :)
          In verity.
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that this will apply to or ESO+ craft bags as well.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eweroun wrote: »
    oh, and some tricks...

- stack potions/poisons/food/drinks in bank
    - do your 2.000.000 crafting writs you saved before monday morning :#
    - collect your 154.589 surveys
    - dump the treasure maps (yes, you all save them, but never collect)

<3

agreed with all except a clarification on the crafting writs...regular common crafting writs are simply nothing more than open quests, and there would be 7 max on each of your characters, plus as quests are not part of inventory, I wouldn't expect that they'd be an impact on monday. however you could have as many master writs as inventory permits, as they start out as actual inventoried items before they're read into open quests...so do do master writs to clear them out of inventory, but don't do crafting writs, because they have the potential to add to your inventory, such as more master writs, surveys, ornate gear & stuff, countering the entire purpose of the excercise...

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What I want to know is why this particular feature wasn't tested in the PTS. Or was it? your comment did not indicate this. Also why did you wait until the Friday before the update? Literally giving those of us with Full set ups literally 2 days or less to "help".

All i can say is that this had better be worth it.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »
    I'm glad we got the heads up but I'm concerned that we're getting more information from @ZOS_KaiSchober than @ZOS_GinaBruno yet again because communication is horrible. We're asking yes or no questions and still can't get an answer from Gina.

I know Gina's name of course, but I don't know the other name. Is that someone on the EU part of the team? I ask that because there have been a number of references to German threads providing some info to questions from ZOS.
    Junipus wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Which of these will affect the loading screen times?
    • Character Inventory during loading
    • Personal Bank
    • Crafting Bag
    • Writ Voucher storage chests
    • Crown purchased storage chests
    • Unopened Inbox mail
    • Opened Inbox mail
    • Character inventory on 'non-loading' characters

This will help get an idea of how much we would need to declutter or remove items, along with where we could move items to in order to reduce the loading screen times.

Absolutely, ZOS needs to answer this, but unfortunately, I suspect, based on the nature of the items being somehow tied to your account, therefore your inventory, the answer is probably "all of the above"...

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    Okay, so bottom line here: I'm NOT spending the next 2 days screenshotting inventory over 21 toons. I'm just not. If stuff goes away..... well it is what it is. Gear is easy in this game. And so is crafting mats. Since gear and mats are my real "wealth" - if some of it gets lost, it's not that big a deal to replace.

The BIG deal is.... bandwidth. I'm going to have to beg wildblue for help, not to throttle me, etc etc ad infinitum ad nauseam.

Pretty sure they're going to laugh. And then just throttle me anyway. Which means that playing will be even more unfun than normally.

I am not going to screen capture the inventory of every character I have, but I am going to screen capture the banks.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus