Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

U21 launch day load times and how you can help

• Fadfadet
    Fadfadet
    ✭✭
    fgoron2000 wrote: »
    valeriiya wrote: »
    I'm glad we got the heads up but I'm concerned that we're getting more information from @ZOS_KaiSchober than @ZOS_GinaBruno yet again because communication is horrible. We're asking yes or no questions and still can't get an answer from Gina.

I know Gina's name of course, but I don't know the other name. Is that someone on the EU part of the team? I ask that because there have been a number of references to German threads providing some info to questions from ZOS.

Kai Schober is from the German team ^^
    Junipus wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Which of these will affect the loading screen times?

• Character Inventory during loading
    • Personal Bank
    • Crafting Bag
    • Writ Voucher storage chests
    • Crown purchased storage chests
    • Unopened Inbox mail
    • Opened Inbox mail
    • Character inventory on 'non-loading' characters

This will help get an idea of how much we would need to declutter or remove items, along with where we could move items to in order to reduce the loading screen times.

Quick answer : everything you listed counts.

- Gina answered at the beginning that it will scan all your whole account, so all your characters inventories.
    - I don't remember exactly where i saw this, but your storage chests (whether you bought them with crowns, vouchers or tel vars) will count as well.
    - Your personal bank (seen on original post by Gina) and crafting bag (according to Kai) will also be scanned. Nothing on guild banks yet.
    - All items in email (opened and unopened) would be scanned as well, makes no difference if the mail has been opened or not, the items are existing in your mailbox anyway.
    EU - PC
    Co-GM de la guilde francophone Les Bâtonnets de Poisson
    Gloire au Domaine !
    Options
  • SoupDragon
    SoupDragon
    ✭✭✭
    I know that it's been asked several times but I also really need to know if storage chest and crafting bag counts :s
    Options
  • ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    Crafting bag yes, storage chests perhaps but probably
    Metal forever \m/
    Options
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this will also scan for 3rd party programs or "unauthorized" add-ons? Taking a few hours the first time you log in sounds a bit much for just an inventory check.
    Options
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fadfadet wrote: »
    valeriiya wrote: »
    I'm glad we got the heads up but I'm concerned that we're getting more information from @ZOS_KaiSchober than @ZOS_GinaBruno yet again because communication is horrible. We're asking yes or no questions and still can't get an answer from Gina.

I know Gina's name of course, but I don't know the other name. Is that someone on the EU part of the team? I ask that because there have been a number of references to German threads providing some info to questions from ZOS.

Kai Schober is from the German team ^^
    Junipus wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Which of these will affect the loading screen times?

• Character Inventory during loading
    • Personal Bank
    • Crafting Bag
    • Writ Voucher storage chests
    • Crown purchased storage chests
    • Unopened Inbox mail
    • Opened Inbox mail
    • Character inventory on 'non-loading' characters

This will help get an idea of how much we would need to declutter or remove items, along with where we could move items to in order to reduce the loading screen times.

Quick answer : everything you listed counts.

- Gina answered at the beginning that it will scan all your whole account, so all your characters inventories.
    - I don't remember exactly where i saw this, but your storage chests (whether you bought them with crowns, vouchers or tel vars) will count as well.
    - Your personal bank (seen on original post by Gina) and crafting bag (according to Kai) will also be scanned. Nothing on guild banks yet.
    - All items in email (opened and unopened) would be scanned as well, makes no difference if the mail has been opened or not, the items are existing in your mailbox anyway.

Hadn't seen the posts from Kai, helps fill in the blanks.

Time to offload provisioning ingredients and lower tier crafting mats then it seems.
    The Legendary Nothing
    Options
  • JackDaniell
    JackDaniell
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have like 2000 bound peices of armor...
    Ebonheart Templar

www.youtube.com/user/kristofersommermusic
    Options
  • Rikkadir
    Rikkadir
    ✭✭✭
    And just hope your HDD doesn't die in the process. ;)
    PS4/PS5/EU
    Options
  • Truthsnark
    Truthsnark
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does inventory in your houses count as well, or is that scanned when you first load into the house?
    Options
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Truthsnark wrote: »
    Does inventory in your houses count as well, or is that scanned when you first load into the house?

This is important question, because I have lots of furnishings in stacks of 2-10 items, that would be reasonable to place inside the house, if house doesn't add to the loading time. On the other hand, if each item in the house is counted as a separate stack, I would prefer to keep these items in inventory
    Options
  • IAmBones
    IAmBones
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is, and this is totally a guess. The new "Guild Store" changes are the cause of this situation. It makes sense, these items I am sure are indexed in some way, and this is somehow updating that. So my GUESS is every single item both sellable and bound will be scanned, ie.. if its an "item" in the game, its gonna get a scan. /shrug....

It's a one time deal, I do feel for those on slow or metered Internet, but it would have to be done sometime in the future, might as well be now. I hope it does not take 2 hours for anyone, that is way too long, but we shall see.
    Options
  • Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Real question is will we be booted out of the loading screen for inactivity?
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FASTER ALFIQ FASTER

giphy.gif
    signing off
    Options
  • SageSecret
    SageSecret
    ✭✭✭
    JimmyJuJu wrote: »
    Kids - this is what it looks like when developers make business decisions.

Marketing 101 - Never *** off your heavy users.
    Options
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to take this as a lesson lol, if I need to make a global DB change, make the accessing code backwards compatible with both datatypes until the migration is done...rolling out with this is just so...oof.

Or maybe like, do all inventories during maintenance, then roll thru bank data and just make them inaccessible for the short time they're under processing
    Options
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno are there contingency plans internally for item recovery if this process results in vanishing items from our bank/inventory/storage chests/craft bags? It has happened before, so this is particularly concerning.
    code65536 wrote: »
    Moloch1514 wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno are there contingency plans internally for item recovery if this process results in vanishing items from our bank/inventory/storage chests/craft bags? It has happened before, so this is particularly concerning.

I'm actually pretty worried about this because in PTS weeks 1-4, there were items missing in my mail attachments. Only during the current PTS week 5 was the mail okay. But the fact that this problem existed and wasn't fixed until literally the final week of PTS doesn't exactly make me feel at ease, ya know?

+1 This is my biggest concern.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Edited by RANKK7 on February 23, 2019 7:59PM
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
    Options
  • LanteanPegasus
    LanteanPegasus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for a clearly communicated and early warning and explanation !
    This will avoid so much puzzlement and frustration.
    Now I can just make the update, start the login process and let it work in the background while doing something else. No stress, no problem, because I know what to expect. :)
    Options
  • SageSecret
    SageSecret
    ✭✭✭
    You know what?

2 hours is the supposed stated max, right? Sucks, but I'm not gonna start tossing stuff I've been saving for a reason and losing my mind.

I'll just boot up the game and go read a book for a while, then meander back a few hours later. LOL

It took me THREE DAYS to log in last time I'd been away for the game for a while.

I've paid thousands of dollars over the years to play this game so a three-day frustration spree is not cool. Not cool at all.

Marketing 101: Don't punish your heavy users. :(
    Options
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, it'll give me the excuse I needed to clear out the junk in my bank that I've been hoarding in hopes that it might be useful at some time. :D
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
    Options
  • TheValkyn
    TheValkyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The original post is the laughing stock of the software development world. :D
    Options
  • OldManJim
    OldManJim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if this will speed things up when depositing or withdrawing items from a guild bank?

I've already moved a couple of hundred enchants & intricate items into my private guild bank to clear out the inventory.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    Options
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Did she say a couple of hours? LOL :smiley:

Soo,basically just a normal day then? :D
    Options
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Fadfadet

i couldn't quote you just now, probably some browser or cache issue...anyway, thanks for the response about the German team.

I guess I'm still left with two things that I'm curious about.

One is the disconnect-and-restart vs disconnect-and-resume issue.

The other, Gina's inference that the entire account will be scanned, I'd think covers things like housing y/n, craft bag y/n, guild bank y/n, etc. But the relationship between the account and the two servers sometimes means that they are one and the same, and sometimes not. For instance, crowns and your username span both servers, but things like inventory, craftbag, characters, housing, and most collectibles do not. So do you yet have any insight if the scan covers both servers, or if there will be two separate long loadscreens?

Options
  • AngelStar76
    AngelStar76
    Soul Shriven
    Literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard... With the amount of characters we have and all the gear sets in different traits we legitimately need to "hoard" as you put it, this is ridiculous. Stop changing gear traits for basically no reason other than to make a change, if the output of changing traits is pretty much exactly the same as before you're just making things harder for the players - WE NEED MORE STORAGE SPACE. Not looking forward to the epic load screen on March 12th 😤 gg ZOS 😡
    Options
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ... Do guild bank's inventory slow down just the leader of the guild? Or every member? (wonders where I can move the guild bank inventory temporarily if it affects the load time for every member...)

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_KaiSchober Please answer everyone's questions! Thank you.
    Edited by Tevalaur on February 23, 2019 11:14PM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
    Options
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    communicationnnnnn
    Options
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    So ... Do guild bank's inventory slow down just the leader of the guild? Or every member? (wonders where I can move the guild bank inventory temporarily if it affects the load time for every member...)

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_KaiSchober Please answer everyone's questions! Thank you.

after the initial couple responses, they haven't since, so...don't hold yer breath...

Options
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Damn I knew my hoarding was gonna come back to me sometime :(
    EU PC
    Options
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vildebill wrote: »

sometimes i feel like i'm still hoarding from might & magic and it must be at least 10 years or more since i played that series...
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes i feel like i'm still hoarding from might & magic and it must be at least 10 years or more since i played that series...

Heh. I quit playing M&M when Arena released.... I hoard in every game I play though.
    Options
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Heh. I quit playing M&M when Arena released.... I hoard in every game I play though.

yup, i know exactly what u mean, but i didn't start here til oblivion...then morrowind and then skyrim...at some point i went back to arena and daggerfall too, but although i finished arena after a couple tries, i gave up on daggerfall after about a half dozen runs at it...damn early 3D map

Options