Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

U21 launch day load times and how you can help

• vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This means if you’re able to clear out excess items in your inventory and attachments before maintenance begins Monday morning (or even just reduce them), this will greatly help the amount of loading the client will need to do!
    I am terrible sorry, I do not understand what you mean by this: "excess items". What are those and where do you get them?

(I've deleted sealed jewelry crafter writs worth thousands of vouchers. However, as an Eso Plus subscriber with a crafting bag that was probably 0.01% of my inventory, so...)
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
    Options
  • Sanctuary_Reaper
    Sanctuary_Reaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hows that communication to your player bases questions coming along chief?

@ZOS_GinaBruno ?
    As for my end, there is a plan, but we need time to get it fleshed out and implemented. I don't want to speak on behalf of Rob in regards to the vision and strategy for the game moving forward, but he has been hard at work getting this together. Again, these things take time and isn't something you'll see after just a couple days.

[removed nonconstructive comment]
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on February 24, 2019 8:35PM
    Options
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry but this sounds completely amateuristic.
    It makes me laugh and cry at the same time.

Cant you migrate a copy of the entire database on a seperate server or whatever and just swap it in for the new one on live.
    That way ypyou domt have to ask such a ridicilious request from your customers.
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
    Options
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm sure all will be fine. :#

qvjCKwk.gif
    Options
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1bo9kf.jpg
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a game developer posts an information like: "Don't worry, it will only take up 10 min up to 2h" you know it is gonna be unplayable day 1... :o

Bing realistic:
    Any body remember when they released new patch, but there was some crucial bug/exploit like doubling items, or being able to glitch a boss fight in a DCL vet dungeon to get achievement... or that time when the game / server was simply working like s**t ? So they had to make another maintenance ?

This is especially painful on EU as the maintenance is being done at the same time as on NA server, that is somewhere between 12:00 - 18:00 (if everything goes well, but if it does not we have double maintenance up to 23:00 or possibly longer making it unplayable day 1) now.. add "up to 2h to that"... :tired_face:

So I ask in advance, just in case of the worst:
    Will you extended daily login reward by 1 day, in case worst will happen ?
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on February 24, 2019 10:25AM
    Options
  • ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    Where was that with up to two hours? Was that official or just someone taking one time out of the stated "several hours"? I mean, several hours CAN be 2, but it could be far worse as well like 10 or more hours.... so, of it was ONLY up to two hours, that would be a great thing to know. If it's not officially given max time I would not hope for THAT to come out and more look to the 4 / 6 or more hours depending.
    Metal forever \m/
    Options
  • IwakuraLain42
    IwakuraLain42
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, I understand this correctly: you do a database migration on the Client, forcing said client to be running for hours at worst ? And closing this process will retrigger it ?

This is a recipe for desaster for Consoles. Even if the players don't close the process, for example to watch Netflix or play other games, both PS4 and XB1 are configured to auto-sleep automatically. Unless you move the controller every few minutes this can happen. If you really must do this this way (which is really bad), inform the players in advance. Way in advance ....
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will the workload fall on the client side, or the server side ?
    To be more specific, I want to know if, during those potential several hours, I can do whatever I want to or need to with my PC in a separate window, or if it is better to leave it alone completely and do something else.
    Secondary question : is it going to strain the bandwidth ? To be completely specific, I want to know if, during that time, I can plan some connected activity - or just should go and work in the garden.
    Thank you in advance for providing info. @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on February 24, 2019 11:37AM
    Options
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where was that with up to two hours? Was that official or just someone taking one time out of the stated "several hours"? I mean, several hours CAN be 2, but it could be far worse as well like 10 or more hours.... so, of it was ONLY up to two hours, that would be a great thing to know. If it's not officially given max time I would not hope for THAT to come out and more look to the 4 / 6 or more hours depending.

Gina said "a couple of hours"... "A couple" means, literally, 2, but is also used as a synonym for "several", which can be higher, much higher than 2.
    Options
  • rei91
    rei91
    ✭✭✭
    I have about 8 toons with absolutely full inventories , a full bank and also full mail thanks to pvp rewards. I guess I'll just log on and watch LOTR in the meanwhile. Either way thanks for the heads up.

The uncut-version one.
    Options
  • ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    I went by the German post which states "einige Stunden" which translates better to some or even several (mehrere), which yes, can be two, but imply more than that amount, even more so than a couple (ein paar) does.
    Metal forever \m/
    Options
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So after cleaning I'm hoarding 29 items total in my home storage chest and 2 fully geared alts. Empty bank and inventories. Crafting Bag - refined all I could, sold low lvl mats.

But what about furniture? For example, I have a lot of Jester trees, should I retrieve them and make a stack instead of having them all around?

What about items listed in guild stores? Do they count?
    Edited by myskyrim26 on February 24, 2019 12:47PM
    Options
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just noticed i had 2 Divines Sunderflame Arm Cops in my bank,so i have reluctantly de-conned 1 of them.

Clean-up complete. :p
    Options
  • Coolio_Wolfus
    Coolio_Wolfus
    ✭✭✭
    What is the easiest way to split the inventory database* from the character db* per character/server for an account whilst making their loading faster?

Splitting the db on login also means active accounts are at the top of the lists, over time inactive ones can be moved to backup db's and merged with live on login.

And yes the game pre update 21 loads all characters visuals for the select screen then that selected characters whole inventory per login/zone, only loading the character db will be much faster in the long run...

Be aware maps not only have load screen doors they also have transitions in open caves and even on city maps

An example in Skywatch is that just below the stairs to the fighters and mage guilds is a map edge boundary, that is currently a map and character w/inventory reload, post update 21 just a map and character reload.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My philosophy is this: If I have a metric ****-ton of stuff in my mail, bank, and inventory, so be it. I will go off and do something else while ESO cranks out whatever it needs to do.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My finely tuned senses are telling me to prepare for a disaster..........
    Options
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh well. When I consider how much of my life I've wasted staring at an ESO loading screen, 2 hours isn't even blip on the radar. :/
    Options
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I first went WTF??? when I heard this then remembered "10 million stories" so I guess the developers worked out how long it would take to run this as a batch process and when the results were presented were simply told "no, not acceptable". Thus we end up with conversion on login, in theory its reasonable.

From past experiences I would be much happier with the former method as its controlled and the process is clear at all stages. With conversion on login though you have to deal with a lot of concurrent runs of the process generating a lot of database locking contentions.

I'm also assuming that several hours figure is including dealing with contention as it could take significantly longer if not.

I think I'm going to log just after midnight on the console update day and claim the daily reward then and when I get home from work later that evening just fire up the game and go do something else.

EU PS4
    Options
  • KyraCROgnon
    KyraCROgnon
    ✭✭✭
    tonemd wrote: »
    As long as we don't ACCIDENTALLY LOSE anything, I'm good.

Please be careful with this.

Ohhh, here's an idea >:)

Get my wishlist .
    Edit title from wishlist to "items missing from my inventory after patch 21"
    Mail it to Santa support

Hey, i never said i had it in there before, just that it's missing o:)
    Options
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Gina said "a couple of hours"... "A couple" means, literally, 2, but is also used as a synonym for "several", which can be higher, much higher than 2.

While technically true the American use of couple is often used to denote something more vague. Sometimes it's used to mean 2 plus 1 to 2 additional hours or it can mean 2 plus and additional 55 minutes. The point is that when you hear couple of in American (atleast my part of the US) it typically is used interchangeably with several. If they meant 2 they should say 2.
    Options
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be very nice if we could get some answers to the questions posted in this thread BEFORE the update launch.

lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
    Options
  • ValkyriesWolf
    ValkyriesWolf
    ✭✭✭
    We probably won't, or like an hour before maintenance starts, as who works on Sundays if it's the free days of the week? It's really not good for us players, as the problems of the game don't stop for the weekends like work does, but hey, you want your free days as well, don't you? Though I have no idea whether there is a special weekend worker from ZOS for that perhaps and we just don't know them and so don't link their name....?
    Metal forever \m/
    Options
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RANKK7 wrote: »
    It would be very nice if we could get some answers to the questions posted in this thread BEFORE the update launch.

Sadly it looks like we are on our own, per usual. Another great example of great communication ZOS. Why even have multiple community facing positions if they wont interact past lunchtime on Friday?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_SarahHecker
    PC-NA
    Options
  • Ashere
    Ashere
    ✭✭✭
    Its Sunday today and probably a day off :)
    Options
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, did Spring Clearance on my Bank, before had 458/460, now 431/460, lol
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
    Options
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still dont get whats the reason behind that. New server?
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    I still dont get whats the reason behind that. New server?

They are upgrading some database stuff on the server.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, fast forward to one/three/five months from now.

Players coming back to the game who are taking a break or on vacation or whatever.... they are going to potentially come back to a two hour login screen?

If so, that seems problematic.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • mustangmorgan31
    mustangmorgan31
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are the odds of losing half of our hoarded inventory?? Pray to Tall Papa that nothing goes awry...
    Options