Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

U21 launch day load times and how you can help

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I loved all the games. In between playing TES, I went back to SSI Gold Box games (now THOSE are really antique - started playing them in 1985....) and then picked up WoW and RIFT.

TES owns my heart though - and that does include ESO. So I'm willing to deal with maybe 2 hours of a loading screen, so I can get back to playing! Love being retired.... means I get to play all day - eventually!
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next Monday with the PC launch of Update 21, we’ll be implementing some code related to ESO’s database that will allow us greater flexibility with updates and maintenance as it continues to grow over time. Due to this change, after downloading the patch on Monday, you are likely to encounter a very long load screen upon first logging into the game. This will only occur the first time you log in after character select, and it will not affect subsequent logins. That said, the length of the load screen could vary anywhere between 5-10 minutes to a couple hours. We understand this is far from ideal and is frustrating on launch day, but it’s a necessary evil just this one time.

Now, this loading is actually directly tied to the total number of bank items, inventory items, and mail attachments everyone has. This means if you’re able to clear out excess items in your inventory and attachments before maintenance begins Monday morning (or even just reduce them), this will greatly help the amount of loading the client will need to do! Additionally, once you’re at the load screen, please just wait until you’ve made it into the game; closing the client will not speed things up.

Thanks for your understanding, everyone, and we look forward to Wrathstone and Update 21 launch in just a few days!
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O Snap, Francis! :smile:
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    alexessory wrote: »
    I think I'm going to pass out, there was a reply in the German forum that says that craft bag inventory DOES count :s (Also mentions that variety of different items is more critical than huge stacks)
    Der Handwerksbeutel zählt ebenfalls zum Inventar von daher werden ESO Plus Mitglieder garkeine Chance haben, komplett aufzuräumen. Allerdings ist das nicht so ausschlaggebend, da eine große Anzahl verschiedener Gegenstände viel kritischer ist als ein hundertfach vorhandener Gegenstand.

Obviously what's going on is:
    • The game is going to be creating new database records or similar structures somewhere.
    • They've chosen to do this upon log-in rather than in the background or offline.
    • They've chosen to limit this to a low number of records per account per second.

Whether a record says that there's 1 of somthing or 200 of something shouldn't much impact the level of effort here. In fact, 27,000 Alkahest might be easier to memorialize than a single traited and enchanted piece of set gear.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Does the game need to be connected to the internet during this process?

The entire reason behind the slow load is the server scanning and indexing your stuff as part of a database update, so yes, you definitely need to be connected to the internet.

A few thoughts on that:
    • There definitely will be a scan.
    • I'm guessing there will be new records rather than just an indexing of old ones.
    • It's quite possible that the read part will be fast, with the vast majority of the time being in the write.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    efster wrote: »
    Next Monday with the PC launch of Update 21, we’ll be implementing some code related to ESO’s database that will allow us greater flexibility with updates and maintenance as it continues to grow over time.

Can we get an actual answer whether or not there is any likelihood of this process wiping out people's inventory items, be they in backpack, bank, craft bag, or storage?

No, you can't have an answer, because damage would be caused by a bug; it won't be intended.

And what are the chances there's a bug?

::cough::
    Options
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I loved all the games. In between playing TES, I went back to SSI Gold Box games (now THOSE are really antique - started playing them in 1985....) and then picked up WoW and RIFT.

TES owns my heart though - and that does include ESO. So I'm willing to deal with maybe 2 hours of a loading screen, so I can get back to playing! Love being retired.... means I get to play all day - eventually!

yup...retirement...hehehe...know what you mean
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JimmyJuJu wrote: »
    Monsieur wrote: »
    Out of interest, why can’t this be done during normal maintenance - Why does it have to be activated upon login?

Because some developer said it had to be done this way and probably made a big effing deal about it.

There surely was an alternative to take the whole game down longer until the database move was made and somewhat tested.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, what in the German thread was said: stacks count as stacks, as far as I understood. So stack up if you can. The item count on different items and stacks will be more crucial. Furthermore the ZOS person, Kai, said that tje craft bag counts as well. He also said he assumes houses will count somehow as they are linked inventory wise to our account as well, but isn't sure about that. So probably yes, it will count chests and houses as well, but perhaps not if we're lucky.

One likely possibility:

Items in houses are stored as database records (because they're items) with extra fields (for their location in houses).

In that case it might make little difference whether they were inside or outside of storage chests.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    R1ckyDaMan wrote: »
    Will the load time be affected by hard drive type? if I throw the game onto my ssd will the load time be quicker?

I'm guessing the slowness will be due to a per-account rate limit on the server side.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno What I want to know is why this particular feature wasn't tested in the PTS. Or was it? your comment did not indicate this. Also why did you wait until the Friday before the update? Literally giving those of us with Full set ups literally 2 days or less to "help".

All i can say is that this had better be worth it.

If you recall: They had a failed database copy on the PTS abandoned after more than 24 hours of trying.

That probably has a lot to do with why they're trying a different database move process on live.
    Options
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Truthsnark wrote: »
    Does inventory in your houses count as well, or is that scanned when you first load into the house?

This is important question, because I have lots of furnishings in stacks of 2-10 items, that would be reasonable to place inside the house, if house doesn't add to the loading time. On the other hand, if each item in the house is counted as a separate stack, I would prefer to keep these items in inventory

My guess is the same as yours: Spreading duplicate items out in a house will make things slower.
    Options
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Should we take precautions in case items or materials are lost?

I want to make sure my 45k Alkahest will be safe ;)
    Edited by pod88kk on February 24, 2019 1:00AM
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Should we take precautions in case items or materials are lost?

I want to make sure my 45k Alkahest will be safe ;)

Screenshots.... I did all toons' bags today, will do banks and craft bags tomorrow after writs/surveys. Two accounts.... so looking at a very long day - though I'm logging in the newer account first as there's a LOT less on it; may leave my main account for a day or so.... nothing I care about missing in the daily rewards at this point (I'll make sure to grab Monday's daily on both accounts tomorrow evening).
    Options
  • xxthir13enxx
    xxthir13enxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh....well....

When/Where are the garage sales?lol
    I’m looking forward to inventory clearance discount sales....lol
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Wolfe wrote: »
    This is unacceptable.

It already takes me the better part of a day to download each new update, but at least I can play other (offline) games while I wait. Now you want to completely tie up my Xbox as well as my internet connection for an indefinite period?

I've got a better idea: How about on release day I uninstall ESO, cancel my plus membership, and never look back?

Bye FELICIA?
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well this will surely turn people off on during launch. This couldn’t have been implemented before launch?
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm sad...…. multiple 700 slot houses fully decorated...…. many more houses partially decorated or being used for storage.

8 storage chests...… all full.

13 characters all with a minimum of 60 slots full...…

ESO+ so 480 bank slots..... not full but you get my point!

Seriously you must have known about this before Friday??? :'(

Edit:- I've spent all day today thinning the herd...… still massive tbh

Edit 2 :- Stuff disappearing is an horrific thought...…. how do I screenshot everything??? I've been playing for 5 years!! :o

@ZOS_GinaBruno I know it's the weekend BUT you won't be back in the office before maintenance...…. at least clarify if homes are part of this load,...…

Storage chests yes ok they are part of our inventory BUT are decorated homes??

Edited by freespirit on February 24, 2019 4:01AM
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Next Monday with the PC launch of Update 21, we’ll be implementing some code related to ESO’s database that will allow us greater flexibility with updates and maintenance as it continues to grow over time. Due to this change, after downloading the patch on Monday, you are likely to encounter a very long load screen upon first logging into the game. This will only occur the first time you log in after character select, and it will not affect subsequent logins. That said, the length of the load screen could vary anywhere between 5-10 minutes to a couple hours. We understand this is far from ideal and is frustrating on launch day, but it’s a necessary evil just this one time.

Now, this loading is actually directly tied to the total number of bank items, inventory items, and mail attachments everyone has. This means if you’re able to clear out excess items in your inventory and attachments before maintenance begins Monday morning (or even just reduce them), this will greatly help the amount of loading the client will need to do! Additionally, once you’re at the load screen, please just wait until you’ve made it into the game; closing the client will not speed things up.

Thanks for your understanding, everyone, and we look forward to Wrathstone and Update 21 launch in just a few days!
    Is there a risk that items will disappear?
    Options
  • Krandor
    Krandor
    ✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

Seriously is spending all day thinning the herd worth reducing your load screen by 1-2 hours or whatever it is? Just sounds like you spent way more time thinning the herd then the processs would have taken.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Facefister - apparently there are those who believe so. Anecdotal evidence perhaps.... But I prefer to - believe things like this can be very.... bad.

I use databases on websites - phpbb and wordpress. The stuff that can happen is - not funny, and can make a website unusable. So.... I have redundant backups, and every day when I pull a new backup, I'm waiting for the guillotine. So far.... I'm one head in the basket over MANY sites and databases....

But believe me when I say that one head in the basket was a balls-up of extreme proportions.... I have taken steps so that should never happen again. But one never knows....
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Krandor wrote: »
    freespirit wrote: »

Seriously is spending all day thinning the herd worth reducing your load screen by 1-2 hours or whatever it is? Just sounds like you spent way more time thinning the herd then the processs would have taken.

@Krandor ffs yes...…. ofc it's worth it...…. one hour instead of two...…. 20mins instead of an hour...….. definitely worth it imo!!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • Nave_Horsespitoon
    I hope these time estimates are accurate. I can handle 5 min-2hours like a breeze. It took me three (3) full days to download this game! I think it was somewhere on day two I lost my mind and started to question reality, thinking it possible that I had accidentally (in my delirium), hooked up my old 3 com modem and dialed up the emergency connection number.
    I don’t think I can maintain my sanity at all this time if it went from hours into days again! shakey LOL
    So ya I’m saying my connection is sweaty dog slow.
    Options
  • skywarnmc27
    skywarnmc27
    ✭✭✭
    This new how? after every maintenance there is a 5-20 min loading screen time. Been going on for years. I have sent in tickets, and mentioned it before with deaf ears.
    Options
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    SSI games (now THOSE are really antique - started playing them in 1985)

Love being retired.... means I get to play all day - eventually!

Same here and still looking for equivalent real strategy games, not those "Flinkfinger and jump" games. :)

Another positive aspect of being retired is, that you can sit in front of the monitor (monday), in the middle of chips, flips and cool drinks, and watch the exploding chat, with at least 10 threads with the tenor "extreme loading screen, do you have the same?" ;)
    Options
  • Corpier
    Corpier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got over 3000+ items/item stacks across all characters, bank, craft bag, and house.
    I'm not going to give a ***, or make a change hoping to improve my luck.
    Venting isn't needed 'cause I'm not shackled to my keyboard and mouse.
    Easy to wait when I have work and school, and I can go outside because I'm not a tool.
    Most of all I can be patient, I'll wait it out and feel completely serene.
    Especially because my body is ready, so bring it on loadscreen!

P.S.(A.) If you fear the loadscreen and want to clear space by giving up motifs or materials I will take your stuff.

Edit: This is why I shouldn't drink and check the forum at 2 a.m.
    Edited by Corpier on February 24, 2019 7:35PM
    @Corpier | PC/NA CP1300+

My Characters:
    AD
    A Príorí: Highelf - Magicka Sorcerer
    DC
    Corpier: Orc - Stamina Nightblade
    Corpier: Orc - Stamina Sorcerer
    EP
    A Fortiori: Darkelf - Magicka Nightblade
    A Posteriori: Darkelf - Magicka Dragonknight
    Bertha Ironsides: Imperial - Dragonknight Tank
    Corpier: Breton - Magicka Templar
    Corpíer: Orc - Stamina Templar
    CorpÌer: Orc - Stamina Warden
    Corpier: Orc - Stamina Necromancer
    Logen'Bloody-Nine'Fingers: Orc - Stamina Dragonknight
    Options
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to monday and being totally relaxed. ;)

https://youtu.be/eFEeW2RLYs0
    Options
  • haelene
    haelene
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    98 photos later and I've got a nice neat index of everything I have on all 13 of my characters, my bank, my home storage, and my crafting bag. Not that I believe this will be entirely necessary, but I'm a woman who likes to play it safe. Also I love organization, so this was really just an excuse to index something.

I say bring on the load screens and their possible complications (although let's hope there are none), I'm ready.
    Options
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    This new how? after every maintenance there is a 5-20 min loading screen time. Been going on for years. I have sent in tickets, and mentioned it before with deaf ears.

different how? 5 to 20 minutes to possibly 2hours... that's how it's different

Options