Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo dungeon mode, please

• Zijjan014
    Zijjan014
    Soul Shriven
    If Lydia and I can save ALL of Skyrim... then give me Lydia back so I can go solo again. There are hard modes and raids, give us lowly folks a carrot, just like everyone else. Options will never hurt anything but allow further growth.

Edit: A carrot, something to chase after in the vein of raiders etc. I don't want instant gratification just something...meaningful in the horizon.
    Edited by Zijjan014 on January 21, 2019 7:00PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iirc gw2 has a story mode for dungeons which is easier...the idea to run certain group content in an easier mode with a bot companion sounds kinda interesting ..ala SWTOR ...and it gives zos another element to monetize ^^

Story mode in GW2 is still 5-person content.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Yuffie91
    Yuffie91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In ff online there is a system where there is a barrier in place during cutscenes so people can watch the scenes and others have to wait
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I solo run the vanilla normal dungeons just fine. Even the DLC ones I can get some bosses
    Just run some of those dungeons on normal, a lot of them can be solo'd. Not trying to sound like and elitist or anything because that's far from the truth, but I've solo'd a lot of the ones that don't require group mechs on my magicka warden.

I did all those just fine. There are still a lot left with forced group mechanics.
  • Memnock
    Memnock
    ✭✭✭
    If it was just the way you mention , content is scaled down to 1 player , with no rewards what so ever , other than maybe some random drops that can be found in the overland , that would be YES , but as you can see from the people positng here , they already want actual gear drops from the group version , in which case , i say its a definite NO.
  • Vand3ers
    Vand3ers
    ✭✭
    YES! I don't care about rewards necessarily, I just want to experience the fight and story without having to do it with others (not that I would stop doing it with others too).
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan o f solo (or any other) modes of dungeons. But instead of arguing over the pro's and con's and MMO's and what not, I would like to propose a comromise.

How about adding a STORY-mode for all dungeons?
    Dungeons should work just like the regular dungeons, i.e. 4 players required, same difficulty, same drops and rewards.
    Each player HAS to accept the quest and here comes the kicker:
    The next quest step stage does not not unlock before the last player has finished his dialogue (in a reasonable time of course, let's say 2 minutes).

Players who are not interested in doing story mode will avoid those groups.
    Players who are interested in the story will join this LFG-queue or form their own group and start it.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    Please READ the post before posting commets, not just title

And again. PLEASE READ before commenting. PLEASE.

Dear ZOS,
    A lot of lore already hidden in 4-player dungeons. It is even worse for the Wrathstone dungeons, as they are a part of the story. Please make a solo dungeon mode for players, who are not able to do dungeons in a group.
    Let this solo dungeon mode be purely story oriented: no sets, no motifs, no achivements, no skillpoints - nothing that could make this mode a kind of a cheating one. Nothing to grind. It should not be a part of Undaunted pledges and whatever else - juts a story to do.

To all who want to post some answer like "find friends", "find a guild", "learn to play", please read this: I play since 2016. I tried hard to find people like me to do dungeond for a story. And here are the results:
    1. We are 4 and we all want to do a dungeon for a story. I'm a tank. Other players are: a healer who sees a restoration staff for the first time and 2 DDs running around a dungeon like mad chickens. These people never did dungeond before, and will never practice - they are focused on quests only. They don't want to spend their time learning how to play in a group.
    2. I found 3 people who agree to change their playstile. We live in different countries - thus it is hard to set a time for dungeon runs or practice. More - even if we all 4 are online, these players are busy doing something. As, you know, there are a lot things to do. And the most bad thing: I can be forced to log off at any moment because of my job.
    3. Many players who want to do dungeon stories refuse to change anything. As a master crafter, I offer them free sets, food, glyphs. I try to explain their skills gently. I try to explain dungeon mechanics. But solo players are SOLO players. They don't want someone to be a leader. They don't want to learn a crazy rotation piano, they don't listen to a team mechanics. "I'll go see what's there!" - types my teammate in chat. I start typing "No" in respond, but the teammate is already dead, and mobs are running at us.
    4. Guildmates do agree to do a dungeon with me. Sometimes they even give some time for me to make screenshots of dialogues. Sometimes. But the rest of the time they just rush through a dungeon. I don't want to rush! Dungeons are beautiful, I want to enjoy them! I don't want to make dialogue screenshots, I want to LISTEN to them!
    5. I tried to do dungeons solo with a petsorc. My results: Fungal Grotto 1 and another "beginners" dungeon with a spider boss. I know - some players can do a lot of dungeons solo. Not me, unfortunately.

I assure you - I've made every effort to find players like me. A lot of people want to do dungeon stories, and it is impossible to become a team. Please @ZOS, give us a possibility to enjoy dungeons!
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Id love this, however, id love to still get undaunted from it.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are solo "dungeons", they're called Delves. Dungeons are meant for groups and should stay that way.

Did you even read my post? Or was it just title? Seems so.

I did read it. You're complaining about not wanting to play in a group, well this isn't a single player game, it is a MMO. There will be and should be group content. No, not everything should be soloable.

I feel differently, its a game, and there are alot of soloers in every mmo, if eso lost all its soloers the game would be alot emptier over night.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Memnock wrote: »
    If it was just the way you mention , content is scaled down to 1 player , with no rewards what so ever , other than maybe some random drops that can be found in the overland , that would be YES , but as you can see from the people positng here , they already want actual gear drops from the group version , in which case , i say its a definite NO.

I don't want any gear drops, reward drops, skill point, nada. Just the story.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Memnock wrote: »

I agree. No gear, even overland one. Not a single benefit of a 4-player dungeon, not even a skillpoint. It is not hard to run a dungeon with a team for gear or skillpoint. Solo mode should be story oriented - the only reason to add it, yet a very important reason.

• Karavis3
    Karavis3
    ✭✭
    I started out playing when Morrowind released. I have 3 CP characters (late 400 something) but I am not a good player. I've gotten better than I used to be but I could at best (if you squint a bit) be called mediocre. I can't even get past the first fight in fungal groto 1 - the dungeon loads of people seem to find laughably easy. I can't solo any world boss. I have gotten through two public dungeons - not entierly solo but somewhat.

Part of it might be l2p issue - I try to read up on tactics and skills and gear - but ultimatly I'm just not that good. I could maybe, graduate to average player but I just can't even come close to "I can solo everything easy" mode. People are good at different things. Some people excell at math without trying much, others can study untill they bleed and never get more than a passing grade.

Then find a group, some people say. Except that will hamper my enjoyment of the game. Not because I expect people to be mean but rather because I won't be able to relax. Whenever I play with people I don't know I get performance anxiety and my already mediocre playing gets even worse. Even if I perform unexpectedly well, it's not a enjoyable experience for me. I just feel useless and in the way.

The only friend I have that plays ESO is on Xbox while I'm on pc. I don't always play regularly and on some days I can be called into work whenever.

The only group experience I've been ok with was actually PvP in Kyne when groups fight each other for keeps and such and that's only because I felt invisible, like even if I was participating I was essentially non-existent but I could be a little helpful at least.

I thought I might try fungal groto 1 again once I'm max cp - or close to it - but I've pretty much given up. I was ok with that. Until they announced that the year long story would be gated behind dlc dungeons.

I really, really want solo story mode dungeons

EDIT:

I don't need to get the sets or rewards either, enemies can drop the same things they do in overland delves.

Edited by Karavis3 on January 22, 2019 11:59AM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Divines, yes please. I'm also mostly a solo player and I'd be thrilled to be able to solo every dungeon in the game so I could take the time to look in every crate and barrel and listen to all the dialogue. I don't need the fancy gear rewards. A small chunk of gold and a "useless" vanity item would make me perfectly happy. I suppose this mode could be used to let people "easily" learn the fights and then use that info in the harder group mode but I don't see how that's really a terrible thing.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just do the dungeons on normal.
  • unicornvader
    unicornvader
    ✭✭
    Honestly would love some form of solo or story mode so much, I love doing dungeons as a group but to be able to actually get enough time to experience the story of each dungeon would be so cool. It seems like such a waste that there is a story there but the majority of the time you can't experience it properly.
    PCEU
    Aldmeri Dominion
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly would love some form of solo or story mode so much, I love doing dungeons as a group but to be able to actually get enough time to experience the story of each dungeon would be so cool. It seems like such a waste that there is a story there but the majority of the time you can't experience it properly.

And not only the story. The dungeons are beautiful. They are elaborated, a lot of effort was put into the environment. Yet we can't enjoy this environment. Sometimes I solo Fungal Grotto 1 just in order to spend some time there, to look around, to take beautiful screenshots. It is a very picturesque place, so vivid, so masterfully done - all that light beams and shadows...
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a necessity now that they decided to put main STORY in them. And no, just like any other MMO, forced grouping for main STORY will make majority of people leave the game instead.

And there is also $$ incentive for ZOS because with solo (story) mode and its rewards (that would be separate/lesser than group modes) many more people would be interested to actually buy DLC(s).
    Edited by MikaHR on January 22, 2019 12:47PM
  • LiraTaurwen
    LiraTaurwen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be easier to just create a system that would reward people for waiting for players to do their quests? It could be something like repeatable quests for each dungeon for example. I think the problem is the mentality of some players to rush everything, there should be some game mechanics to prevent this.
    I disagree with solo mode though, it would just be a waste of resources. The game as sooo much to do, why do casuals always have to beg to have everything.. I have seen this destroying other games, hope ESO0s devs don't listen to this.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LiraTaurwen

Casuals are the majority, especially here in ESO. A solo dungeon mode will not affect the elite players in any way. We never meet in game, you know. And when this does happen, there's a new post here on forum, an elite player is whining about his horrible experience and all that casuals who wanted to do a story
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be a great addition to the game. I hope it comes to fruition
  • Garrick
    Garrick
    ✭✭✭
    I support the concept.

It is not too hard to do most of the non-DLC dungeons solo, although a few have annoying mechanics that require two or more people - for example: Direfrost Keep pressure plates, Malubeth's altar mechanic in Wayrest 2. It would require some work to make these dungeons possible solo but there are only a few.

The DLC dungeons are more of an issue. Many people do these on normal mode, so making normal mode easier may make them even more boring than they already are. I find normal too easy in a group and veteran too hard. Really, what makes veteran hard is the PUG and the lack of ability to easily communicate mechanics. Many of the DLC dungeons seem to be designed with the assumption that you have voice chat. Obviously PUG and voice chat do not go together well.

Perhaps a Story Mode is the answer, but not the way proposed. If you eliminate all challenge and all rewards then the stories themselves make no sense. They are all "combat the evil" so the boss encounters and general combat are unavoidable. So the easiest solution may just be to either:

(1) Remove all the Need a Group mechanics from Normal Dungeon mode. This is probably the easiest.
    (2) Have a Solo Mode (i.e. Group not allowed) where the difficulty is about the same as normal mode but the Need a Group mechanics are disabled. Perhaps rewards are the same as Normal Mode (e.g. if you get the skill point in Solo Mode you do not get it in Normal Mode).

I don't really think making Solo/Story Mode much easier than Normal Dungeon mode is the answer because then people would run Solo/Story Mode for loot and not Normal. As it is now, people do run dungeons solo in Normal for loot but it is clearly less efficient that running with a group (except for a tiny minority of people who will claim otherwise).

Personally, I would prefer to see Normal Dungeons be a bit harder so that running one is not a snoozefest. Maybe one solution is just to disable Champion Points in Normal Dungeons.
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »
    Just play skyrim. We do not need anymore solo content. The game has a ton of it already.

If anything we need better raid content with less one shot mechanics

Skyrim doesnt make Zenimax $$, yo can buy "legendary edition" for 2 eur (and everyone have alreay bought it)....10 times less than 1 DLC in ESO.....and with solo mode MANY MANY more people would actually be interested in paying for DLCs.

And its not much effort for ZOS since they already have scaling menchics in ESO and just have to remove (if any) "group only mechanich" from boss ability roster and voila....much $$ for ZOS and ESO.

Seems you dont want ESO to thrive because of your selfishness.
    Edited by MikaHR on January 22, 2019 12:59PM
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Garrick
    There must a challenge in solo mode.
    As for the reward - the possibility to do a story is a reward for us. We love the quests, the lore. Dialogues, small things around. We don't do overland quests for achievements, or gear, or whatever. We do it for the story only.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikaHR wrote: »
    Skwor wrote: »
    Just play skyrim. We do not need anymore solo content. The game has a ton of it already.

If anything we need better raid content with less one shot mechanics

Skyrim doesnt make Zenimax $$, yo can buy "legendary edition" for 2 eur (and everyone have alreay bought it)....10 times less than 1 DLC in ESO.....and with solo mode MANY MANY more people would actually be interested in paying for DLCs.

And its not much effort for ZOS since they already have scaling menchics in ESO and just have to remove (if any) "group only mechanich" from boss ability roster and voila....much $$ for ZOS and ESO.

Seems you dont want ESO to thrive because of your selfishness.

This!
    I buy all the DLCs and chapters except dungeon ones. Just because they are of no use for me. Should a solo mode be introduced I would have purchased all of the dungeon DLCs on the very day such mode is announced.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game as sooo much to do, why do casuals always have to beg to have everything.. I have seen this destroying other games, hope ESO0s devs don't listen to this.

How would solo story mode for dungeons destroy the game?
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Garrick
    There must a challenge in solo mode.
    As for the reward - the possibility to do a story is a reward for us. We love the quests, the lore. Dialogues, small things around. We don't do overland quests for achievements, or gear, or whatever. We do it for the story only.

The better $$ incentive for ZOS to do something the better chance they will actually do something.

You can have story AND repeatable "solo mode" a its just matter of bigger numbers on mobs.

"Story mode" would actually be pretty much same experience as Main Story in base game where you travel to instances and do them solo with skillpoint and some "unique item" at the end of chapter (Prismatic Greatsword as an example fo one ofr Fighters Guild storyline quests ) as a reward.

Then above that" solo dungeon mode" as repeatable and even added as a new daily undaunted quest.

Pretty good incentive for majority of the people to buy "dungeon DLCs"....as vast majority currently dont care for them at all.
    Edited by MikaHR on January 22, 2019 1:09PM
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MikaHR

I don't agree on a part of the Undaunted dailies. It will be a kind cheating to obtain chest keys in this way. If I need a key, I go to a dungeon with a team and put efforts in this key. Or the whole team will fail together with me. This is fair.
  • MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is already delve undaunted daily.

And i always see tons of people doing those.
    Edited by MikaHR on January 22, 2019 1:12PM
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikaHR wrote: »
    There is already delve undaunted daily.

And i always see tons of people doing those.

Do they give a key also? I rarely do Undaunted so I don't remember
    Edited by myskyrim26 on January 22, 2019 1:14PM
  • Karavis3
    Karavis3
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't it be easier to just create a system that would reward people for waiting for players to do their quests? It could be something like repeatable quests for each dungeon for example. I think the problem is the mentality of some players to rush everything, there should be some game mechanics to prevent this.
    I disagree with solo mode though, it would just be a waste of resources. The game as sooo much to do, why do casuals always have to beg to have everything.. I have seen this destroying other games, hope ESO0s devs don't listen to this.

I didn't mind that dungeons needed grouping before. Maybe a little envious that I would never get to experience those stories but I was resigned to it. The only reason I mind now is because they said the story of these dungeons would tie into the rest of the story.

Is it really just a waste of resources if a lot of players want it? I don't Think they'll do it but all the same... we paid for the game too, you know.