Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    Minno wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to fix these things? I'm really feeling the pressure from sorcs lately and I don't play often enough to spend all my time respeccing.

If I was to drop vamp, would dropping Cyro Light be kind of part of the deal? Maybe replace it with impreg or something.

You don't have to, but what offensive set can you use for monster set? Definitely go impreg over cyro light, the vulnerabilities seem to prey on high %based mitigation more than crits.

Interesting. That essentially cheapens the entire major/minor protection buffs.

I was thinking of going Skoria with Auroran but I heard that sets can't trigger each other. I am still a big fan of Bloodspawn. I do feel that with Impreg I would have to 100% go with BTB or my mag pool/regen is gonna suck. I was hoping to test Auroran a bit more but it's hard to fit it in now.

They do trigger eachother. Not sure if supposed to or not, but Aurorans will proc Skoria.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried a build on their magplar using armour master and harness magika
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syiccal wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a build on their magplar using armour master and harness magika

Honestly I have not. For me armor master sits low on the pecking order of sets.

Edit:
    on my personal list, against a nightblade/templar running minor force with shadow, everything aside from wizard and major protection was under 30% (26-27% roughly). Armor master was at the same level as pariah and impreg, and vamp cloak was actually higher (28% lol). If not running minor force/shadow, all those sets are raised past the 30% mark, but so are things like wizard/pirate skeleton/steadfast hero.
    Edited by Minno on March 27, 2019 1:35PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elong wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to fix these things? I'm really feeling the pressure from sorcs lately and I don't play often enough to spend all my time respeccing.

If I was to drop vamp, would dropping Cyro Light be kind of part of the deal? Maybe replace it with impreg or something.

You don't have to, but what offensive set can you use for monster set? Definitely go impreg over cyro light, the vulnerabilities seem to prey on high %based mitigation more than crits.

I was thinking of going Skoria with Auroran but I heard that sets can't trigger each other. I am still a big fan of Bloodspawn. I do feel that with Impreg I would have to 100% go with BTB or my mag pool/regen is gonna suck. I was hoping to test Auroran a bit more but it's hard to fit it in now.

They do trigger eachother. Not sure if supposed to or not, but Aurorans will proc Skoria.

Hmm, someone mentioned that they are either planning on changing that or that they have. Can anyone else confirm if ZOS has an official stance of sets proccing sets?
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How the f for ppl kill mag dks who keep wings up 100%of the time, literally cant for anything
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [quote=Dark flare might be a little op if they make it instant cast, I’ve hit some crazy numbers in the past with it. Templar ganking would become a thing.[/quote]

Its always been a thing ;)
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo you're somewhat overselling Dark Flare. Yes, it can hít for a lot - more like 15k on an unaware light armour wearer - IF it connects. Unfortunately that is a very big if. Range and los checks at cast start and cast end + enormous travel time thanks to the trajectory result in a very unreliable skill, especially in Cyrodiil with all its lag and sync issues.

The healing debuff is great of course, but again, only if DF actually hits.

In BGs it's less bad, but there are reasons why you pretty much never see the skill on your death recaps.Cast time + good chance of the skill whiffing even without the target taking active measures to avoid the easily seen huge slow ball of light moving towards them just don't mix well.

Dark Flare is less situational than you think, I use DF in my dueling setup and it’s an excellent addition to the magplar toolkit.

Forcing out dodgerolls isn’t a bad thing since it’s not something their stamina can sustain. And if you’re fast you can block-cancel the DF cast you can start a sweeps or rebuff.

1v1 can be won through either sustained pressure or unexpected burst which DF provides both. Sustained pressure through high Major Defile and Burst due to the high damage backloaded to the end of a long cast (DF+Crescent+PL Proc can be a 17k burst on a reasonably Tanky target).

Its not the best skill ever and it doesn’t belong on every magplar setup, but it’s a strong option.

DF is great ranged. In melee, one bash, and you're DF is useless. So DF is situational. It's ridiculously easy to bash a DF. I've since switched to Solar Barrage for the 4 ticks of Empower. It's much more useful for melee range combat.

DF is pretty easy to dodge too. It may force down an opponents stamina, but it also chugs at my magicka.

Bash is unreliable this patch , so you can bash them and it won’t do anything.

Plus CC immunity stops the bash from working in the first place ;).

Solar barrage is good too. If you use a fire staff, the empowered light attack can replace dark flare entirely, since fire staff unempowered light attack is around 10k fully buffed on a normal 36k/3ksd templar build but you get 8 seconds of consistent light attacks. If two of those bad boys connect, you will have more dmg than 1 cast of Dark flare but can block/dodge/bar swap/react.

I really wish dark flare was instant cast.

Yeah was dueling a magplar on my stamplar for what seemed like ages , until we just gave up. This was before I even knew bash was broken but I noticed I couldn’t interrupt them. Cc immunity makes it worse too.

Dark flare might be a little op if they make it instant cast, I’ve hit some crazy numbers in the past with it. Templar ganking would become a thing.

Gankplar has always been a thing ;)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, someone mentioned that they are either planning on changing that or that they have. Can anyone else confirm if ZOS has an official stance of sets proccing sets?

gilliam said that in the patchnotes.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Imo you're somewhat overselling Dark Flare. Yes, it can hít for a lot - more like 15k on an unaware light armour wearer - IF it connects. Unfortunately that is a very big if. Range and los checks at cast start and cast end + enormous travel time thanks to the trajectory result in a very unreliable skill, especially in Cyrodiil with all its lag and sync issues.

In BGs it's less bad, but there are reasons why you pretty much never see the skill on your death recaps.Cast time + good chance of the skill whiffing even without the target taking active measures to avoid the easily seen huge slow ball of light moving towards them just don't mix well.

Dark Flare is less situational than you think, I use DF in my dueling setup and it’s an excellent addition to the magplar toolkit.

Forcing out dodgerolls isn’t a bad thing since it’s not something their stamina can sustain. And if you’re fast you can block-cancel the DF cast you can start a sweeps or rebuff.

1v1 can be won through either sustained pressure or unexpected burst which DF provides both. Sustained pressure through high Major Defile and Burst due to the high damage backloaded to the end of a long cast (DF+Crescent+PL Proc can be a 17k burst on a reasonably Tanky target).

Its not the best skill ever and it doesn’t belong on every magplar setup, but it’s a strong option.

DF is great ranged. In melee, one bash, and you're DF is useless. So DF is situational. It's ridiculously easy to bash a DF. I've since switched to Solar Barrage for the 4 ticks of Empower. It's much more useful for melee range combat.

DF is pretty easy to dodge too. It may force down an opponents stamina, but it also chugs at my magicka.

Solar barrage is good too. If you use a fire staff, the empowered light attack can replace dark flare entirely, since fire staff unempowered light attack is around 10k fully buffed on a normal 36k/3ksd templar build but you get 8 seconds of consistent light attacks. If two of those bad boys connect, you will have more dmg than 1 cast of Dark flare but can block/dodge/bar swap/react.

Yeah was dueling a magplar on my stamplar for what seemed like ages , until we just gave up. This was before I even knew bash was broken but I noticed I couldn’t interrupt them. Cc immunity makes it worse too.

Dark flare might be a little op if they make it instant cast, I’ve hit some crazy numbers in the past with it. Templar ganking would become a thing.

true, but instant cast DF would be closer to what Cinbri mentioned. DOT based version like vamps bane but major defile, or fix the AOE defile application so it works on dodge rollers.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

true, but instant cast DF would be closer to what Cinbri mentioned. DOT based version like vamps bane but major defile, or fix the AOE defile application so it works on dodge rollers.

oh ZoS dont wanna give us instant dark flares.... Cyrodiil would burn, then extinguish with the salty tears of the fallen....
    Maybe Blinding Light again...maybe

Also, I recently re-rolled race on one of my Magplars to Khajiit...then made him stamina and ran 5 Alessian Order/5 Fortified brass/2 troll King in 5/2 Medium/Hvy, slapped on that gold "dubios on roids" drink/broth, and proceeded to stomp ppl with PoL/jabs/2H ulti/executioner... with a little cp adjustment i was rocking 37k phys/spl mit and had up to 5k health recov. I wanted to see if anyone else has tested Alessian Order on either stam or magplar and what was their thoughts/experiences. IMO its a really great set and with the combo above I was able to solo PvP on my stamplar and actually 1V and enjoy it! Also, Khajiit Templar is looking good with that racial 10% crit dmg/healing combined with the class 10%crit dmg aedric spear passive...Ill test magplar setups next
    Edited by UppGRAYxDD on March 27, 2019 2:32PM
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How the f for ppl kill mag dks who keep wings up 100%of the time, literally cant for anything

Firstly, just avoid those wing spammers. If that's all they've got in their locker then they're probably not worth fighting.

If you do have to though, just sweep spam them to take the stacks away (4 stacks to take down iirc) - Then try catch a stun, redot and just start sweeping again.

If anything it keeps them spamming wings and not working on other things.

Failing that, let yourself get artificially low on hp so they think they're doing a great job (mind the ult) and they'll probably forget to reapply things like most people; the excitement of getting a kill is too much for them and they just lose all knowledge of the game bless.

I don't run the debuffs/buffs UI component so not sure if it has an icon you can track on the target.
    Edited by BNOC on March 27, 2019 4:17PM
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »

Firstly, just avoid those wing spammers. If that's all they've got in their locker then they're probably not worth fighting.

If you do have to though, just sweep spam them to take the stacks away (4 stacks to take down iirc) - Then try catch a stun, redot and just start sweeping again.

Failing that, let yourself get artificially low on hp so they think they're doing a great job (mind the ult) and they'll probably forget to reapply things like most people; the excitement of getting a kill is too much for them and they just lose all knowledge of the game bless.

I don't run the debuffs/buffs UI component so not sure if it has an icon you can track on the target.

Count the hits. Even if you take a light attack or two, it's worth it when you sneak in a DF.

Or just crutch on jabs/solar barage/crescent lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dropped vamp and put Troll King on my magplar for BGs. Feels somewhat cheesy but then magplar defense in no-CP is awful so... 👀 Also, Acuity+shadow in no-CP is really fun.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Count the hits. Even if you take a light attack or two, it's worth it when you sneak in a DF.

Yeah, no harm in taking a couple! I haven’t used df since IC and arena district was the place to be, so know little about it’s current state, worth slotting is it?

But yeah just eat away the stacks however you do or use unreflective damage!

ccmedaddy wrote: »
    I dropped vamp and put Troll King on my magplar for BGs. Feels somewhat cheesy but then magplar defense in no-CP is awful so... 👀 Also, Acuity+shadow in no-CP is really fun.

Did / do you know struggle to time everything in your window? Or does it just not matter

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • ccmedaddy
    ccmedaddy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @BNOC For the most part Acuity seems to proc when I want it to--that is, while I'm DoTing up an enemy w/ reflective light and clench. Once it procs, all I have to do is spam jabs and finish off with crescent sweep while admiring all those beautiful yellow dmg numbers on my screen. :smiley:
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BNOC For the most part Acuity seems to proc when I want it to--that is, while I'm DoTing up an enemy w/ reflective light and clench. Once it procs, all I have to do is spam jabs and finish off with crescent sweep while admiring all those beautiful yellow dmg numbers on my screen. :smiley:

templar can proc alot of things when they need to due to their weird clunky combo setup. Same thing for using kena 2pc, by the time you are getting off a LA+solar barrage+LA combo, kena procs letting your vamps bane snapshot the huge SD coming in. All that needs to happen is jabs+total dark+cresent and then the proc drops.

Yeah, no harm in taking a couple! I haven’t used df since IC and arena district was the place to be, so know little about it’s current state, worth slotting is it?

Did / do you know struggle to time everything in your window? Or does it just not matter

Solar barrage is better. beefier fire light attacks, AOE dmg that isnt removed and can be used to switch form defense to offense.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Elong
    Elong
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I can give you a personal experience from using it just now. Procced Aurorans, Skoria then procced.
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭

A templar has a really rough time beating a good DK.

My battles end up in draws most of the time. Otherwise, they are a loss.

The only DK's I beat are light armor/mediocre players.

Their petrify/root combo is the bane of any Mag-class that has no access to mobility and a large stamina pool. Even then, you can't melee them as a Plar and do enough damage to survive the cool down of a root and you're root immunity.

Even if you survive the combo, it's overtly challenging to do any damage to them with ranged abilities. Our spear is negated. Our Vampire's Bane is negated. That leaves the charge skill, jabs + barrage (add grothdar's into the mix), Purifying Light, or a heavy attack from a lightning staff.

Charge does not work in melee. You have to back up and use it. The DK follows you and you stay in melee range.

Purifying Light requires a large amount of DPS that a Magplar can only create by not being stunned or rooted. A good DK will not let you put damage on them at range.

Heavy attacks will do a below average amount of dps to a DK. It actually works well at range with a lightning staff. That is, if you are chasing the DK with many others.

That leaves a jabs/barrage/grothdar combo. The hit box of jabs, + 1-2k every 2 seconds of barrage, plus the hopes grothdar's proc's, will start to hurt a DK.

You know what they do? stun or root you and back up and heal. Or they line-of-sight you. They just reset your damage on them.

The only way I can kill a DK, as a Magplar, is if they are being chased, or in a DK vs X # of players.

1v1, it's a straight wash or defeat for a Plar.

I've gotten lucky and combo'ed Flare, charge, jabs+grothdar and got them down to about 1/3. If you pop an immovable potion right after, you might get lucky and get that combo off again. But it all depends. By that time, they are resetting the fight. They are really well equipped to reset fights and negate your damage.

Plar's are able to do that too; if they are not stunned/rooted and have their stamina available.

Like I said, wash.
    __._-*._._._.-*'"{Sonic Euphoric Bliss}"'*-._._._.*-_.__
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭

Well said. You have the right of it.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

templar can proc alot of things when they need to due to their weird clunky combo setup. Same thing for using kena 2pc, by the time you are getting off a LA+solar barrage+LA combo, kena procs letting your vamps bane snapshot the huge SD coming in. All that needs to happen is jabs+total dark+cresent and then the proc drops.

Solar barrage is better. beefier fire light attacks, AOE dmg that isnt removed and can be used to switch form defense to offense.

I slotted barrage last night in place of radiant destruction - there was times I missed RD but barrage seemed great in BG's and duels.

Not sure the optimal order for the POTL stack but I was casting, reflective light -> barrage -> potl -> sweep x2 -> shock reach -> crescent/dawny

I think I'm going to hang on to it for a bit and noticed in duels it was added pressure as well which was lovely.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭

Acuity + a damage set? What is your defense set? Is that in light armor?

Acuity requires a damage set with it unless you're running some other config. And a good DK will stun/root you if they notice their HP just went to half or below.

Curious and curious.
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Their petrify/root combo is the bane of any Mag-class that has no access to mobility and a large stamina pool. Even then, you can't melee them as a Plar and do enough damage to survive the cool down of a root and you're root immunity.

Even if you survive the combo, it's overtly challenging to do any damage to them with ranged abilities. Our spear is negated. Our Vampire's Bane is negated. That leaves the charge skill, jabs + barrage (add grothdar's into the mix), Purifying Light, or a heavy attack from a lightning staff.

Charge does not work in melee. You have to back up and use it. The DK follows you and you stay in melee range.

Purifying Light requires a large amount of DPS that a Magplar can only create by not being stunned or rooted. A good DK will not let you put damage on them at range.

Heavy attacks will do a below average amount of dps to a DK. It actually works well at range with a lightning staff. That is, if you are chasing the DK with many others.

That leaves a jabs/barrage/grothdar combo. The hit box of jabs, + 1-2k every 2 seconds of barrage, plus the hopes grothdar's proc's, will start to hurt a DK.

You know what they do? stun or root you and back up and heal. Or they line-of-sight you. They just reset your damage on them.

The only way I can kill a DK, as a Magplar, is if they are being chased, or in a DK vs X # of players.

I've gotten lucky and combo'ed Flare, charge, jabs+grothdar and got them down to about 1/3. If you pop an immovable potion right after, you might get lucky and get that combo off again. But it all depends. By that time, they are resetting the fight. They are really well equipped to reset fights and negate your damage.

Plar's are able to do that too; if they are not stunned/rooted and have their stamina available.

Like I said, wash.

Have you tried eclypse? its especially effective against dks (even more, when they are using wings), since their resistance buff will proc eclypse whenever they take damage. It is a bane for dks and before they can react, it has already procced twice, which heals you and does quite the damage. You can use it offensively to push the enemy into a state of blocking and healing and trying to break free or defensively when you see the enemy coming up with a combo attack, which then makes them stop and break free before continuing.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

Like I said, wash.

Have you tried eclypse? its especially effective against dks (even more, when they are using wings), since their resistance buff will proc eclypse whenever they take damage. It is a bane for dks and before they can react, it has already procced twice, which heals you and does quite the damage. You can use it offensively to push the enemy into a state of blocking and healing and trying to break free or defensively when you see the enemy coming up with a combo attack, which then makes them stop and break free before continuing.

I'm not sure if it's a console issue but the application of Eclipse is very buggy - Or, the visual rather. I was testing last night with another Templar and I'm not seeing eclipses on me for ~1.5s but if I turn debuffs on I can see it applied.

Latency or console specific issue I imagine but so many times I hit myself with double attacks before I seen the bubble.

Even more effective against other players when it's working like that - Though, not sure you guys on PC are seeing the same issue?

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like I said, wash.

I'm not sure if it's a console issue but the application of Eclipse is very buggy - Or, the visual rather. I was testing last night with another Templar and I'm not seeing eclipses on me for ~1.5s but if I turn debuffs on I can see it applied.

Latency or console specific issue I imagine but so many times I hit myself with double attacks before I seen the bubble.

Even more effective against other players when it's working like that - Though, not sure you guys on PC are seeing the same issue?

It happens from time to time, that eclypse's animation are not shown fully. So sometimes the sparks and stuff already there, but not the bubble, which makes eclypse in lag pretty obnoxious from time to time. Still the sound works normally fine. This may be another reason, why you always get some ticks of eclypse, even when the enemy is aware of it.
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭

Eclipse works. If you can sneak it into a combo or time it while the DK is trying to combo you, it helps your damage or your heals. I do like it.

I don't run it however, for sake of other skills I find much more effective.

I have to make the decision to either run Eclipse or Stun too. I don't like to bar both. The reason is, I just don't know when I'm going to need to CC my opponent. CC's > Eclipse from my experience, due to the fact Templar has virtually no CC game.

Because Javelin works so well against every other class that cannot bounce it back, I slot javelin. It's deadly during an execute phase. To me, javelin is a key skill, whatever set up you run. Stunning before an execute series is a tremendous play.

Javelin hits 48 yards in overland PVP. That range is great for a chase, on top of a keep, or to cat&mouse.

If I do double bar Javelin/Eclipse, I have to drop something else for it. If I'm running resto staff BB for berserk and major protection, I'll drop berserk. If I'm going sword and board BB, I'll run Eclipse, but then the reason I like to run S&B is for Absorb Magic. It's effective for pretty much a majority of fights because a lot of people are ranged.

Eclipse, they say, is buggy on console. They say it is on PC. I haven't noticed or experienced a bug personally.

The only strong burst I have found out of all my key skills is a Purifying Light>Dark Flare>Charge>Sweep>Jabsx2-3-4. I don't know of a stronger burst on Magplar than that. When I'm doing a stationary targ at guild, I'm hitting 25k DPS over 10 seconds on a robust khajit.

And that's if I run 22k defense, which, for a melee character, is really on the low end. That's in Light Armor, 14k spell pen, 1.8 recovery.

Sneaking in an Eclipse during that time does work. But I lose my hard cc.

It's a really tough toss-up. I will run Eclipse. I will get some kills. I will tank more damage. But, I always end up removing Eclipse for my stun after awhile because I have more opportunities to stun than I do to set up an Eclipse.

Eclipse, as is in the current patch, seems more situational to me than it does full-run-time in a 1v1 situation in overland PVP.

• Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Eclipse works. If you can sneak it into a combo or time it while the DK is trying to combo you, it helps your damage or your heals. I do like it.

I have to make the decision to either run Eclipse or Stun too. I don't like to bar both. The reason is, I just don't know when I'm going to need to CC my opponent. CC's > Eclipse from my experience, due to the fact Templar has virtually no CC game.

Because Javelin works so well against every other class that cannot bounce it back, I slot javelin. It's deadly during an execute phase. To me, javelin is a key skill, whatever set up you run. Stunning before an execute series is a tremendous play.

Javelin hits 48 yards in overland PVP. That range is great for a chase, on top of a keep, or to cat&mouse.

If I do double bar Javelin/Eclipse, I have to drop something else for it. If I'm running resto staff BB for berserk and major protection, I'll drop berserk. If I'm going sword and board BB, I'll run Eclipse, but then the reason I like to run S&B is for Absorb Magic. It's effective for pretty much a majority of fights because a lot of people are ranged.

Eclipse, they say, is buggy on console. They say it is on PC. I haven't noticed or experienced a bug personally.

The only strong burst I have found out of all my key skills is a Purifying Light>Dark Flare>Charge>Sweep>Jabsx2-3-4. I don't know of a stronger burst on Magplar than that. When I'm doing a stationary targ at guild, I'm hitting 25k DPS over 10 seconds on a robust khajit.

And that's if I run 22k defense, which, for a melee character, is really on the low end. That's in Light Armor, 14k spell pen, 1.8 recovery.

It's a really tough toss-up. I will run Eclipse. I will get some kills. I will tank more damage. But, I always end up removing Eclipse for my stun after awhile because I have more opportunities to stun than I do to set up an Eclipse.

Eclipse, as is in the current patch, seems more situational to me than it does full-run-time in a 1v1 situation in overland PVP.

I am curious about your skill bar setup and what you consider as competitive PvP (what you mentioned in the class rep templar thread), because depending on that you could drop some skills to fit in eclypse. Eclypse is a great tool, when you get outnumbered and also in a 1v1. Naturally is is way less effective, when you play in a group.

Here a link to Leifs thread about magicka templar solo PvP, where you see that eclypse is very crucial:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/433497/video-new-leif-magplar-wolfhunter-pvp-build/p1
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭

I am curious about your skill bar setup and what you consider as competitive PvP (what you mentioned in the class rep templar thread), because depending on that you could drop some skills to fit in eclypse. Eclypse is a great tool, when you get outnumbered and also in a 1v1. Naturally is is way less effective, when you play in a group.

Here a link to Leifs thread about magicka templar solo PvP, where you see that eclypse is very crucial:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/433497/video-new-leif-magplar-wolfhunter-pvp-build/p1

Thanks for the link.

I've seen Leif's videos. He plays tank and the war of attrition during 1vX. He runs low defense and uses LOS tactics and his shield to tank with. He runs his opponents resources down. His fights are long. He outlasts with using the terrain as his shield and running vampire. It's effective. It's the average or quote-unquote meta.

That is one bag of skillsets/tactics you can use. It works. Personally, I hate it for a certain reason. Other classes do not have to rely on those tactics intrinsically. NBs with huge speed and ranged + invis are one. Sorcs and their pets/shields/stunlock are one. DK's have their CC game. Warden have pets, heal on par, and out match your speed.

I didn't see any fights against the DK CC combo. I didn't see him come back from any NB ganks. He mostly fought, quite honestly, the average mediocre player. The fighters were not playing very smart. You don't chase people on rocks, you leave those fights. Rock battles are traps 1vX. You also don't chase people in towers to LOS them. They have the upper hand if they are good. I LOS and cut corners while falling to avoid fall damage and sneak up/invis/heal. That's again the basics.

I dislike the huge advantages other classes have when there is no way to LOS, you are outnumbered, you are alone, you cannot run to a LOS, but you are forced to stand your ground. Every job has a class skill that lets them escape, CC, or pet tank.

Templars have heals, they have return damage/return heals. That is it. They require the use of a shield in order to tank. They are a tanky, outlasting spec against opponents who don't know any better.

Against good players who know their skills, Templars usually have the short end of the stick. You basically are forced to tank through the damage, LOS, or pop an invis pot. However, that situation is not always present.

So I end up fleeing. If i make it to a wall, great. If not, I don't like to rely on a vampire skill line in order for my class skills to be effective. I should already have effective class skills on par with others.

But, vampire works. That is, until you get CC'ed, have to tank fire damage without your LOS wall/shield, and get zapped from an execute.

I've literally run the gamut of scenarios. When those scenarios began to repeat over and over, I knew that it was not just my skills as a player, there was something else wrong.

So, here is what I run:

Fire staff: Dark Flare, Toppling Charge or Javelin, Jabs, Major Sorcery, Pure L. Alt: C. Sweep
    S&B: Major ward, Race A Time, Absorb Magic, Ext R, BoL Alt: it varies (Shield Block or Rejuv Shield)

I change it up with resto staff, berserk, and Major protection.

Usually run Berserk, Brass, Spinners. 28k def, 3k SD, 1.8 mag recovery. My jabs hit about 3.5k, Dark Flare around 18. Sometimes I throw in Grothdar if I feel like going AoE.

Immov Pots, speed pots, invis pots, tri recovery pots all available for the situation.

I tank well. I can deeps and get a burst. I just cannot get effective, consistent kills. I end up 1vX and run the LOS gamut, get super bored, others join in, I tank.

I always end up tanking and playing the war of attrition without getting major kills.

I feel like Templar is forced into the tank position.

It's not fun. I can't lock any one down, I can't mega burst anyone. I tank, play cat and mouse, and wait it out til the opponent has run dry.

It's not fun.

• soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, rule # 1 of PVP: whoever gets the lock down has the upper hand.

With the current state of technology ZOS uses for a PVP megaserver, that rule is doubly true.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try it later but in the meantime, don't suppose you've got a clip of that? I feel like the timings on that would mean at the end you're only hitting with sweeps and the crescent pulse?

If you are then at that point aren't you losing damage and also not getting set up for the next burst?

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
  • soniku4ikblis
    soniku4ikblis
    ✭✭✭

I'll try it later but in the meantime, don't suppose you've got a clip of that? I feel like the timings on that would mean at the end you're only hitting with sweeps and the crescent pulse?

If you are then at that point aren't you losing damage and also not getting set up for the next burst?

Sorry sir, no clips. You are correct if you mean using the burst off of PoTL and PL. Unless you drop everything your doing and hit them hard in 6 seconds, you lose dps.

Usually have to pop and immov pot and get it done. I would rather stun them and get them out of the game for 2 seconds, then watch a good player instantly break the Eclipse and return fire. I personally feel like I can control my opponent better with the knock back and 2 second stun than let them run amok with Eclipse on.