Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »
    Great Info and write up @Minno ! Lots of tips! Ill read and post any findings or insights here as well. I did have one interjection... in regards to solar barrage, I believe that this skill is overlooked and admittedly has grown on me. Im loving the extra AOE pressure while sweeping up opponents plus that empowerment on the weaved light attacks is pretty decent. As for any extra info specifically for this patch, I suggest investing in defensive mitigation to all magplars.. Either wear monster set(s), wear hvy armor, or run protective jewelry( My Fav so far in Light armor)...Shields are not the answer. "Build for sustain, decent health(25k+), and defense first, then work more dmg into the build or your playstyle" would be my advise to any new magplar. Cheers!

Edit: I speak purely in a PvP aspect.

There are better AOE spells. Only use it if you want to run empowers without degeneration, or want an AOE that sticks to your toon for melee builds.

Otherwise, degeneration on front bar is much better for getting empowers weaved in (especially with reflective light spam).

I will leave defense/offense up to each templar to decide. The templar community is currently mixed between stacking offense or running more defense, and we can't make that determination for new players (only pvp experience and build requirements will dictate these choices).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    Great Info and write up @Minno ! Lots of tips! Ill read and post any findings or insights here as well. I did have one interjection... in regards to solar barrage, I believe that this skill is overlooked and admittedly has grown on me. Im loving the extra AOE pressure while sweeping up opponents plus that empowerment on the weaved light attacks is pretty decent. As for any extra info specifically for this patch, I suggest investing in defensive mitigation to all magplars.. Either wear monster set(s), wear hvy armor, or run protective jewelry( My Fav so far in Light armor)...Shields are not the answer. "Build for sustain, decent health(25k+), and defense first, then work more dmg into the build or your playstyle" would be my advise to any new magplar. Cheers!

There are better AOE spells. Only use it if you want to run empowers without degeneration, or want an AOE that sticks to your toon for melee builds.

Otherwise, degeneration on front bar is much better for getting empowers weaved in (especially with reflective light spam).

I will leave defense/offense up to each templar to decide. The templar community is currently mixed between stacking offense or running more defense, and we can't make that determination for new players (only pvp experience and build requirements will dictate these choices).

You think weaving degeneration is a better way to get empower than solar barrage? Youre using a gcd to get 1 empower vs 4 using barrage. Empower only adds like 500 damage, so casting entropy over any other stronger skill is crazy talk if it isn't within that threshold.

I add about 2k of damage total from light attacks over the 8 seconds (4 ticks)of barrage, and i don't have to cast 3 extra degenerations to get it.

Am mistaken on the damage of entropy though? It's less than 1 tic of barrage right? Im at work so i'm unsure.

I actually really enjoy barrage.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on November 30, 2018 10:18PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Might be interesting to try out a Torugs build with barrage up while weaving elemental weapon and light attacks. Probably a question of timing how well that would work.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Stamden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You think weaving degeneration is a better way to get empower than solar barrage? Youre using a gcd to get 1 empower vs 4 using barrage. Empower only adds like 500 damage, so casting entropy over any other stronger skill is crazy talk if it isn't within that threshold.

I add about 2k of damage total from light attacks over the 8 seconds (4 ticks)of barrage, and i don't have to cast 3 extra degenerations to get it.

Am mistaken on the damage of entropy though? It's less than 1 tic of barrage right? Im at work so i'm unsure.

I actually really enjoy barrage.

Pros/cons
    Degeneration:
    - max mag x2%
    - mag Regen x2%
    - sorcery buff for 20s
    - small heal based on light attack DMG done (only against target though, unless they changed it recently)
    - empower on next light attack
    - small dot DMG
    - cheap cost
    - procs skoria

Solar Barrage:
    - minor sorcery on cast
    - ultimate on cast (every 6 seconds)
    - empower gained via each burst wave (but must be used)
    - delayed AOE pulse burst that can be backbarred
    - not cheap to cast
    - doesn't proc skoria (delayed direct DMG)

I don't think it's useful, some can use it but it was way better when it was a cast time because the DMG was higher (6k per cast which is like 3k now). So that's 1.5k after battlespirit; imho you'd be better off slotting unstable core with a 10k tooltip or proc det with 6k ).
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Might be interesting to try out a Torugs build with barrage up while weaving elemental weapon and light attacks. Probably a question of timing how well that would work.

You lose any light attack through missweave, dodge or reflect and the efficacy of the ability becomes lower.

I would use wall of elements instead. 100% chance to proc an enchant on the first hit for 3k mag is better than potential reflect/dodge from the light attack via empower for 2.6k that you have to time between pulses.

Barrage is only better if you want to be in melee and not worry about AOE DMG.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good points. The only time I’ve used solar barrage is before the skill was last updated in combination with proxy det and vicious death as part of a magplar bomber build — mainly this was during the double AP event in the summer, I haven’t really played around with it since. Was nice though, syncing up a solar barrage pulse with the proxy det explosion, hitting empowering sweep at the critical moment. This was part of an organized group not solo.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Stamden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 33
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

If you can sustain that low stamina it could be fine. Your mag Regen looks good.

One thing I noticed, you have minor force buff enabled on the editor but no ability to grant minor force (that is messing with your effective spell power number making it look higher than expected). You should also adjust the editor to account for the following typical target stats to geta better feel for how effective your spellpower really is:
    -3300 crit resisrs
    - 26000 spell resist
    - 40% crit chance
    - a 1.7 crit hit DMG modifier
    - 10000 penetration

If you are using wizard reposte+cyro light, it might make more sense to drop protective and get all arcane or get Swift to better reposition speed for uninterrupted meditate casts. You can also pickup mixed traits (1 protective, 1 arcane 1 infused Regen enchant) then swap out the witch for tri food or ghoul eye food if you have the health stats!

Just my thoughts. You need ele drain though for the single target focus,

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=100934

K edited it some to take into account what you said

I think i can get away with the stamina recovery cause i'll be using that Deep Thoughts ability.

I'll probably change the frost staff to flame staff though..

If you aren't using trans set, don't use entropy. You'll be letting your enemy get free implosion procs just for bar swapping. After that, 26k health might be too much, try swapping one or two of your tri-stat enchants over to max mag to push your offensive stats a little higher.

Shift BoL to backbar so you can block cast it with the ice staff. Maybe move unstable core to front bar since it's your only cc.

i hate not having BOL on my main bar as its a huge pain in the ass bar swapping during lag

Also how do you think Wizards and Cyrodiils light will work together? think it'd be decent?
    Edited by Xsorus on December 1, 2018 2:28AM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can sustain that low stamina it could be fine. Your mag Regen looks good.

One thing I noticed, you have minor force buff enabled on the editor but no ability to grant minor force (that is messing with your effective spell power number making it look higher than expected). You should also adjust the editor to account for the following typical target stats to geta better feel for how effective your spellpower really is:
    -3300 crit resisrs
    - 26000 spell resist
    - 40% crit chance
    - a 1.7 crit hit DMG modifier
    - 10000 penetration

If you are using wizard reposte+cyro light, it might make more sense to drop protective and get all arcane or get Swift to better reposition speed for uninterrupted meditate casts. You can also pickup mixed traits (1 protective, 1 arcane 1 infused Regen enchant) then swap out the witch for tri food or ghoul eye food if you have the health stats!

Just my thoughts. You need ele drain though for the single target focus,

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=100934

K edited it some to take into account what you said

I think i can get away with the stamina recovery cause i'll be using that Deep Thoughts ability.

I'll probably change the frost staff to flame staff though..

If you aren't using trans set, don't use entropy. You'll be letting your enemy get free implosion procs just for bar swapping. After that, 26k health might be too much, try swapping one or two of your tri-stat enchants over to max mag to push your offensive stats a little higher.

Shift BoL to backbar so you can block cast it with the ice staff. Maybe move unstable core to front bar since it's your only cc.

i hate not having BOL on my main bar as its a huge pain in the ass bar swapping during lag

Also how do you think Wizards and Cyrodiils light will work together? think it'd be decent?

Personal preference then.

Two defensive sets are usually good on light armor Templar. Just pay attention to your stats and swap in anything you feel you are missing.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tooltip on barrage is nearly twice that of core not including its empower @Minno
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh the blabafat sort of thread. I learned a lot by seeing how he played back in the day.
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is entropy supposed to proc transmutation? It seems like a hot (?)
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why do you have to hijack the biggest thread in the ESO forums? This one seems pointless.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MaxJrFTW wrote: »
    Why do you have to hijack the biggest thread in the ESO forums? This one seems pointless.

You mean blabs? Or the huge magplar "help me pick meta sets cause I'm lazy" thread that was starting to become disorganized?
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is entropy supposed to proc transmutation? It seems like a hot (?)

Yes it can. But i think it's heal happens after the damage so it isn't reliable last I remember.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My tooltip on barrage is nearly twice that of core not including its empower @Minno

cool! Mine wasn't and I know a few templars that didn't like solar barrage dmg being reduced for the instant cast :\
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

cool! Mine wasn't and I know a few templars that didn't like solar barrage dmg being reduced for the instant cast :\

I definitely preferred the cast time. Los, cast, come out swinging. Templar tower monkeys dream. The damage reduction was brutal to the skill, but it's fantastic for aoe zerg farming.

Lay down wall of elements, cast barrage, throw a blazing spear into cresent sweep, then sweeps. The barrage, spear, cresent all hit together due to delay and flight time, and actually depending on the spread lold the opponents, spear spam might work better if youre in a group with heals as it hits everyone equally in a larger area. It's not the highest burst, but it's definitely up there for sustained dmg.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I definitely preferred the cast time. Los, cast, come out swinging. Templar tower monkeys dream. The damage reduction was brutal to the skill, but it's fantastic for aoe zerg farming.

Lay down wall of elements, cast barrage, throw a blazing spear into cresent sweep, then sweeps. The barrage, spear, cresent all hit together due to delay and flight time, and actually depending on the spread lold the opponents, spear spam might work better if youre in a group with heals as it hits everyone equally in a larger area. It's not the highest burst, but it's definitely up there for sustained dmg.

Right on! Thanks for that feedback!
    Mind showing me the numbers since I'm curious? #changemymind
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, u want tooltips or game play of going aoe based? The aoe style is completely group tower play. Either way i could show you on my wife in a duel.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, u want tooltips or game play of going aoe based? The aoe style is completely group tower play. Either way i could show you on my wife in a duel.

Everything!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While reflective light sounds like it's great when fighting multiple targets (and it can be) it might as well be renamed to reflected light. I recently morphed back to vamp bane since I got tired of putting it on myself in BGs just because someone I didn't even target pressed wings. It's also worth pointing out that when you play melee magplar vamp bane is your hardest hitting ranged ability and you sometimes can finish targets off that run away just by spamming it (just keep in mind that it's quite the magicka drain).

Did I just miss it or did you not list mistform as one of the possible skills? Imo magplar is the most suited class to play as vampire.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imo you're somewhat overselling Dark Flare. Yes, it can hít for a lot - more like 15k on an unaware light armour wearer - IF it connects. Unfortunately that is a very big if. Range and los checks at cast start and cast end + enormous travel time thanks to the trajectory result in a very unreliable skill, especially in Cyrodiil with all its lag and sync issues.

The healing debuff is great of course, but again, only if DF actually hits.

In BGs it's less bad, but there are reasons why you pretty much never see the skill on your death recaps.Cast time + good chance of the skill whiffing even without the target taking active measures to avoid the easily seen huge slow ball of light moving towards them just don't mix well.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NupidStoob wrote: »
    While reflective light sounds like it's great when fighting multiple targets (and it can be) it might as well be renamed to reflected light. I recently morphed back to vamp bane since I got tired of putting it on myself in BGs just because someone I didn't even target pressed wings. It's also worth pointing out that when you play melee magplar vamp bane is your hardest hitting ranged ability and you sometimes can finish targets off that run away just by spamming it (just keep in mind that it's quite the magicka drain).

Did I just miss it or did you not list mistform as one of the possible skills? Imo magplar is the most suited class to play as vampire.

I missed it! When blabafat wrote this thread Dawnbreaker/evil Hunter was one shotting vampires and he was telling all Templars to not run it. I'll add it back, thanks!
    Imo you're somewhat overselling Dark Flare. Yes, it can hít for a lot - more like 15k on an unaware light armour wearer - IF it connects. Unfortunately that is a very big if. Range and los checks at cast start and cast end + enormous travel time thanks to the trajectory result in a very unreliable skill, especially in Cyrodiil with all its lag and sync issues.

In BGs it's less bad, but there are reasons why you pretty much never see the skill on your death recaps.Cast time + good chance of the skill whiffing even without the target taking active measures to avoid the easily seen huge slow ball of light moving towards them just don't mix well.

It's strength is for group play where you aren't targeted. I thought I left blabs writting as it was for dark flare, but it might need to adjusted a little. Thanks!
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything!

Made some clips yesterday on a dummy about aoe distance and the aoe stacking process, barrage and empower. I'll put it together and add some commentary tomorrow when i'm off.
    Edited by Brutusmax1mus on December 2, 2018 2:11PM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dark flare is the one skill in the magplars tool kit that can really one shot. If buillt right, your tooltip can reach upwards of 25k. That being said, yea it’s clunky, yea it’s slow, yea kinda misses a fair amount, but...when you hit 😱. Add some...no all the cp into defile and have fun. It’s one of those abilities that is so under used that most ppl don’t even look out for anymore, which IMO is a great reason to run it. Still not a believer? Just run 5/1/1 light warmaiden/julianos/2 slimecrawl duel wield SnB or whatever you please on the back bar, add cp to the obvious areas to boost dark flare, and blast everyone to nirn...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • Jimmy_The_Fixer
    Jimmy_The_Fixer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dark Flare is less situational than you think, I use DF in my dueling setup and it’s an excellent addition to the magplar toolkit.

Forcing out dodgerolls isn’t a bad thing since it’s not something their stamina can sustain. And if you’re fast you can block-cancel the DF cast you can start a sweeps or rebuff.

1v1 can be won through either sustained pressure or unexpected burst which DF provides both. Sustained pressure through high Major Defile and Burst due to the high damage backloaded to the end of a long cast (DF+Crescent+PL Proc can be a 17k burst on a reasonably Tanky target).

Its not the best skill ever and it doesn’t belong on every magplar setup, but it’s a strong option.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: is Empowering Sweep affected by Major Brutality?

I remember someone saying that it does almost as much damage as Crescent Sweep as magplar but I'm finding that to be completely untrue, even in PvE.
    Edited by Datolite on December 2, 2018 7:16PM
  • NupidStoob
    NupidStoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »

I remember someone saying that it does almost as much damage as Crescent Sweep as magplar but I'm finding that to be completely untrue, even in PvE.

Ults scale of spell or weapon damage depending on what is higher so no empowering sweep does not benefit from major brutality on a magplar. It hits hard, but with the change from last patch swapping their effects around it doesn't hit as hard anymore. It still hits for a few K in no CP and can help with burst, but I always preferred dawnbreaker for the knockdown.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ults scale of spell or weapon damage depending on what is higher so no empowering sweep does not benefit from major brutality on a magplar. It hits hard, but with the change from last patch swapping their effects around it doesn't hit as hard anymore. It still hits for a few K in no CP and can help with burst, but I always preferred dawnbreaker for the knockdown.

Hmm, that explains so much. I just automatically assumed magic damage ult = spell damage bonus.

Are you telling me some 6k weapon damage stamblade can pull out a destro staff and use Eye of the Storm with a 6k bonus??
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm, that explains so much. I just automatically assumed magic damage ult = spell damage bonus.

Are you telling me some 6k weapon damage stamblade can pull out a destro staff and use Eye of the Storm with a 6k bonus??

Yes, it's effective in no cp
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a lot of great info here. Thank you @Minno

After reading this I went with:

Transmutation x3/x5 back bar
    Armor Master x3/x3 front bar
    Willpower x2
    Balorgh x2

Lightning Resto

ideally all impen.

dampen, purifying, WoE, Reach, Sweep, Solar Disturbance

Rune, extended, entropy (or whichever the heal morph is), Honor, and Ally Ward Panacea

Whatcha think?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds