Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

[Class Rep] Templar Feedback Thread

• StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Julianos and Innate Axiom? Maybe not very powerful, but outdated?
    Options
  • Mrsinister2
    Mrsinister2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos and Innate Axiom? Maybe not very powerful, but outdated?

What are you using for damage mitigation with that set up because that's mostly glass cannon gear there.
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One pirates skeleton, one lord wardens, defending trait on S&B with hardening enchant. Tri-stat on all armor pieces. 10 points into both health and stamina (for roll dodging). I have around 25k health.
    Options
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    I really wish Solar Barrage would afflict opponents with major defile instead of granting me empower. It's a frigging one trick pony and as much as I need melee tools, I can't stop opponents from healing through the damage I deal. It's frustrating AF that as a Templar I see DKs and Sorcs getting off bigger heals than me. I am having a hard time finishing opponents because they go from 20% health back to full in one second. And radiant oppression can be out healed.

Your gears outdated.

Please elaborate @EtTuBrutus , because I experience the same thing - both on my MagPlar and StamPlar. Other classes seem to be able to outheal nearly any combination I throw at them wether it be bleeds, high burst, executes, DoTs, etc.

Gear is not outdated; Class system is outdated in whole, but Templars are falling so far behind that they can't even see the other classes ahead of them on the race track...
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wish Solar Barrage would afflict opponents with major defile instead of granting me empower. It's a frigging one trick pony and as much as I need melee tools, I can't stop opponents from healing through the damage I deal. It's frustrating AF that as a Templar I see DKs and Sorcs getting off bigger heals than me. I am having a hard time finishing opponents because they go from 20% health back to full in one second. And radiant oppression can be out healed.

Your gears outdated.

Please elaborate @EtTuBrutus , because I experience the same thing - both on my MagPlar and StamPlar. Other classes seem to be able to outheal nearly any combination I throw at them wether it be bleeds, high burst, executes, DoTs, etc.

Gear is not outdated; Class system is outdated in whole, but Templars are falling so far behind that they can't even see the other classes ahead of them on the race track...

julianos is outdated becayse it only gives 299sd and 1098 mag (4237 total when converted). Bright gives two 1098 mag, another 2k mag and 279 recovery for a total of 4196. You do get 2 lines of crit for julianos, but after 40% in pvp, its really not that much bigger, and the regen means you can start slotting things like crafty alfiq or innate or other dmg sets without giving up regen.

You could do bright+julianos, but the 5pc on julianos is outdated when you see things like innate/spell strat or BSW/clever alchy available.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So basically Elsweyr made it outdated
    Options
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

Your gears outdated.

julianos is outdated becayse it only gives 299sd and 1098 mag (4237 total when converted). Bright gives two 1098 mag, another 2k mag and 279 recovery for a total of 4196. You do get 2 lines of crit for julianos, but after 40% in pvp, its really not that much bigger, and the regen means you can start slotting things like crafty alfiq or innate or other dmg sets without giving up regen.

You could do bright+julianos, but the 5pc on julianos is outdated when you see things like innate/spell strat or BSW/clever alchy available.

I run on mine (I play mostly BG's now, but occasionaly open world solo) and change back and forth between Stam/Mag
    Dark Elf - Steed Mundus
    MagPlar - Spinners/BTB/Domihaus/Pirate Skeleton (5L,2H) Shock Staff - Nirn, SnB - defending/Sturdy -- Witchmother's
    StamPlar - Spriggans/BP/Bloodspawn (5M/2H) DW Maces - Nirn/Sharp + Double DoT Poison, 2H Death's Wind - Defending -- Dubious

No matter what I do, I can burst down even tanks to below 20% but they just insta heal back to 100% while I struggle to outheal their damage.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your gears outdated.

I run on mine (I play mostly BG's now, but occasionaly open world solo) and change back and forth between Stam/Mag
    Dark Elf - Steed Mundus
    MagPlar - Spinners/BTB/Domihaus/Pirate Skeleton (5L,2H) Shock Staff - Nirn, SnB - defending/Sturdy -- Witchmother's
    StamPlar - Spriggans/BP/Bloodspawn (5M/2H) DW Maces - Nirn/Sharp + Double DoT Poison, 2H Death's Wind - Defending -- Dubious

No matter what I do, I can burst down even tanks to below 20% but they just insta heal back to 100% while I struggle to outheal their damage.

contrary to popular believe, pirate skeleton wont really do anything for you that something like trans/backbar utility will. It might be 75-80% total mitigation for PS, but the 1pc armor makes that major protection less effective because you'll only save 1k dmg when compared to 2/3x protective transmutation. Plus when you add block, that total mitigation is roughly the same.

I can get similar mitigation as PS, but run valkyn with 2pc willpower/arena weapon front bar for squeezing out more dmg than your setup (im at 16-19k penetration without spinners). Though I can't kill 3x tanky targets all healing each other, but I can force 1v1's and I counter that type of cheese by abusing resource guards. Bloodspawn is still great for stamplar, but if you dont have the native mitigation, you can't capitalize on the ult regen because you can't take the pressure from things like bleeds/spamables (that is largely why blabafat originally hated bloodspawn for templar; we dont have the mitigation like DK to make it work, plus we are CONSTANTLY purging which means the more efficient way to bulk up bloodspawn is being removed constantly. )

Street rules beat street cheesy punks; gentleman rules/fights are for people born in the 1700's, idiots looking to lose, or for people you respect like friends lol.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Navras
    Navras
    ✭✭✭
    Please elaborate @EtTuBrutus , because I experience the same thing <..>.

Same. It must be me as well then.. I play at quite high MMR and most of the times I run into premades with Stam DK, StamDen, Sorcs, rarely NBs, almost never other magplars.
    I use to play with Axiom\Spinners very offensive but well the last few days I only meet turtles and tanks.

I do very well on my Sorc and NB even if I play magplar much better than the other two classes. Magplar looks average at best, or I have some heavy l2p issue (which is also possible!)

EU-PC
    cp 1500+
    Flawless Conqueror & Spirit Slayer

Main: Templar
    Alt: Stamblade, StamDK
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navras wrote: »
    Please elaborate @EtTuBrutus , because I experience the same thing <..>.

Same. It must be me as well then.. I play at quite high MMR and most of the times I run into premades with Stam DK, StamDen, Sorcs, rarely NBs, almost never other magplars.
    I use to play with Axiom\Spinners very offensive but well the last few days I only meet turtles and tanks.

I do very well on my Sorc and NB even if I play magplar much better than the other two classes. Magplar looks average at best, or I have some heavy l2p issue (which is also possible!)

gotta go with escapist poisons. stam cost increase version is a great way to round out magplar kits and the immovable/immobile is greatly needed. Don't duel because dueling is for high schoolers looking to exposed other high schoolers in a juvenile masquerade of immaturity ; if it's in the game use it and dominate your target lol.

dont use toppling; the cc puts you in danger and its largely only for 1v1 where you can control the dmg hitting you. in OW/BGs, destro lighting cc is better because not only does it cc, it deals AOE dmg so you don't have to feel bad if it misses your target and has a dot attached so you don't have to keep spamming it to put pressure. If you run swords, than use toppling but be prepared to constantly bar swap or cast a shield first then toppling to offset some of the dmg.

- Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Navras
    Navras
    ✭✭✭
    @Minno thanks for your input, expecially about poisons. Ill give it a go to. And yeah, I already use destro stuff, I gave up on DW a while ago since I do a lot of damage on L\M attacks from range and the WD increase on dw don't fill the gap.

Anyhow, I forgot to mention.. I was talking about no cp battlegrounds of course, on CP campaign things work a lot better (when not fighting the lag)

EU-PC
    cp 1500+
    Flawless Conqueror & Spirit Slayer

Main: Templar
    Alt: Stamblade, StamDK
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Navras wrote: »
    @Minno thanks for your input, expecially about poisons. Ill give it a go to. And yeah, I already use destro stuff, I gave up on DW a while ago since I do a lot of damage on L\M attacks from range and the WD increase on dw don't fill the gap.

Anyhow, I forgot to mention.. I was talking about no cp battlegrounds of course, on CP campaign things work a lot better (when not fighting the lag)

The poisons will work in nCP. they might be like 1-2s, but that removal of all effects from you is great because it stops you from purging too much plus the stam cost increase with imobilze, means most players are dodging/casting immunity to get out of it draining their stam. and if you cc them with destro cc, it will proc the poison making their break free 10% more expensive lol.

It's banned in duels, because people are too salty to watch a 20 minutes fight on their brawler builds.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In bgs, range is supreme for every magicka class if you're going group vs group. That's going to hold true for ever. U also don't get the exploiter passive from toppling procing off balance so it is less impactful.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In bgs, range is supreme for every magicka class if you're going group vs group. That's going to hold true for ever. U also don't get the exploiter passive from toppling procing off balance so it is less impactful.

That reminds me, you'll still get access to the off balance with lighting cc, just at a 20% proc chance (100% buff from destro staff). But that works for brawler setups because you are going to long duration fights; the 20% chance will be very impactful.

There are hardly reasons to run any other cc for magplar. But you still need a build that will give you the dmg because staff has terrible raw SD.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I usually play in BG but I spent the weekend in cyrodiil. I like that my character is much more mobile there but what was killing me was getting the opponent down to near death range and they either elusive mist away + heal, or they just straight up "lol"-healed all the way up. I don't use poisons but it made me wish I had something other than Vampires Bane to hurt their healing with. Please, ZOS, add major defile to Solar Barrage. Empower is pointless.
    Edited by StarOfElyon on June 24, 2019 5:40PM
    Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That reminds me, you'll still get access to the off balance with lighting cc, just at a 20% proc chance (100% buff from destro staff). But that works for brawler setups because you are going to long duration fights; the 20% chance will be very impactful.

There are hardly reasons to run any other cc for magplar. But you still need a build that will give you the dmg because staff has terrible raw SD.

Im strictly talking about the 10% dmg buf from exploiter. Even so, there's a monstrous difference in 20% chance to proc off balance and procing it on command. One's reliable, one's not.

Too much stamina strain in bgs to be melee as a magicka class. Stamina can pull it off without building mitigation bc of dodge roll.
    Options
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually play in BG but I spent the weekend in cyrodiil. I like that my character is much more mobile there but what was killing me was getting the opponent down to near death range and they either elusive mist away + heal, or they just straight up "lol"-healed all the way up. I don't use poisons but it made me wish I had something other than Vampires Bane to hurt their healing with. Please, ZOS, add major defile to Solar Barrage. Empower is pointless.

It would be completely broken with defile in pvp. It maybe if it was only on initial or final pulse.
    Edited by EtTuBrutus on June 24, 2019 10:38PM
    Options
  • Delparis
    Delparis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Do you really think that Zenimax will fix anything ?
    • Do you really think Zenimax care about fixing some awkward class ?
    • Do you really think that Zenimax reads what you're saying ?

Wake up, this thread is mainly a way to let you evacuate and continue playing the game despit all the issues the class have.
    Don't expect anything to change sooner or later
    Options
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im strictly talking about the 10% dmg buf from exploiter. Even so, there's a monstrous difference in 20% chance to proc off balance and procing it on command. One's reliable, one's not.

Too much stamina strain in bgs to be melee as a magicka class. Stamina can pull it off without building mitigation bc of dodge roll.

Big difference there: toppling charge applies off balance reliably and up to 100% uptime on players (if you spam), on the other hand lightning clench has a 20% chance to proc consussion, which is minor vulnerability. This is not the same, since you can only offbalance concussed enemies with elemental blockade. Therefore toppling charge is a great tool as stun and resource management, if you get a heavy attack off afterwards.
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

Big difference there: toppling charge applies off balance reliably and up to 100% uptime on players (if you spam), on the other hand lightning clench has a 20% chance to proc consussion, which is minor vulnerability. This is not the same, since you can only offbalance concussed enemies with elemental blockade. Therefore toppling charge is a great tool as stun and resource management, if you get a heavy attack off afterwards.

Hell i use it on stamplar too lol.
    Best part is using it on a cc immune targef, then once their immunity ends hitting them with a bigboy heavy attack+db combo.
    Ive crit some ppl for 8-10 k heavies with that combo.
    Options
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be completely broken with defile in pvp. It maybe if it was only on initial or final pulse.

This would be interesting. Defile on the initial pulse instead of Empower throughout would be much more in line with the Templar's toolkit. Too many other classes have been given "easy" heals to outheal through literally any DPS.
    Options
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This would be interesting. Defile on the initial pulse instead of Empower throughout would be much more in line with the Templar's toolkit. Too many other classes have been given "easy" heals to outheal through literally any DPS.

Yup, remove the garbage current Dark flare and replace it with Dark Barrage....does roughly the same damage as barrage but inflicts minor defile for 6 secs...personally think major defile would be too much.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
    Options
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

Yup, remove the garbage current Dark flare and replace it with Dark Barrage....does roughly the same damage as barrage but inflicts minor defile for 6 secs...personally think major defile would be too much.

Why would Major Defile be too much? Just curious...
    It's not as if Templars have any game altering abilities in their toolkit.
    We have access to Snares, and snares...and snares...Hey! Didn't ZOS do an "Audit" on class skills for redundancy? We do not have access to the following Debuffs: Root, Immobilize, Major Fracture/Breach (Minor on both from the Stamina version only of Backlash - weird...), Vulnerability, Maim, Mangle, Protection..am I missing any?

Majority of these are spread out over other classes, some of them multiple classes have access to.
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We have access to Snares, and snares...and snares...Hey! Didn't ZOS do an "Audit" on class skills for redundancy? We do not have access to the following Debuffs: Root, Immobilize, Major Fracture/Breach (Minor on both from the Stamina version only of Backlash - weird...), Vulnerability, Maim, Mangle, Protection..am I missing any?

Majority of these are spread out over other classes, some of them multiple classes have access to.

We have access to protection and major maim too. We now have easy access to off balance.
    I agree Potl should lose minor breach and it should be moved to purifying light.
    Mangle afaik no classes have access to.
    Root and immobilise are the same, dont put them in 2 diff category, plenty og ways to get those outside of the class.
    We dont need every buff/debuff known to man on templar, period.
    No fracture/breach sucks but many classes dont have easy access to savagery/prophecy without using pots.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

true. then again templars looking to not be clunky playstyles will find heavy attacking when they should be bursting after a stun heightens this clunkiness.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

true. then again templars looking to not be clunky playstyles will find heavy attacking when they should be bursting after a stun heightens this clunkiness.

You dont "have to" heavy attack after the stun, you can burst away.
    Try to time your toppling+cresent to go off just before purifying light goes off.
    You can suprise ppl with that kind of burst.
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

You dont "have to" heavy attack after the stun, you can burst away.
    Try to time your toppling+cresent to go off just before purifying light goes off.
    You can suprise ppl with that kind of burst.

ive been cc'd more times than bursting running toppling ;)
    havent been cc'd yet while running reach/javelin; can even dodge roll cancel.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We have access to protection and major maim too. We now have easy access to off balance.
    Maim is through Ult, Major Protection through Ult and Minor Protection through Spearwall Passive - which is still unclear as it states "While Aedric Spear Ability is Slotted, gain Minor Protection for 1.5/3 seconds" ummm okay?
    I agree Potl should lose minor breach and it should be moved to purifying light.
    Was just referencing for Debuff's sake
    Root and immobilise are the same, dont put them in 2 diff category, plenty og ways to get those outside of the class.
    False. Root can still use abilities, such as Block, Healing, Damaging, Ults. The only thing Root denies is movement. Immobilize completely shuts down your ability bar, movement and ability to block. These ARE two different categories.

Never said we did. We just lack access to useful Debuffs/Buffs that other classes have been given to better their identity/playstyle, where originally they did not have.
    No fracture/breach sucks but many classes dont have easy access to savagery/prophecy without using pots.
    DK has both.

Options
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Maim is through Ult, Major Protection through Ult and Minor Protection through Spearwall Passive - which is still unclear as it states "While Aedric Spear Ability is Slotted, gain Minor Protection for 1.5/3 seconds" ummm okay?
    False. Root can still use abilities, such as Block, Healing, Damaging, Ults. The only thing Root denies is movement. Immobilize completely shuts down your ability bar, movement and ability to block. These ARE two different categories.

Never said we did. We just lack access to useful Debuffs/Buffs that other classes have been given to better their identity/playstyle, where originally they did not have.
    DK has both.

What? I think you are mistaking stuns for immobolise..
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Immobilize

Major protection is pretty much only on ults/sets, minor is a bit more common, only dk/sorc dont have in class access to it.
    I agree spearwall could last a bit longer.
    I dunno if you played a nb or warden before, but ask them how fun it is to spend half your skill rotation on just buffs.
    I like that on my templar i dont have to waste extra gcd on my crit buff, or for example minor sorcery. Same for protection, you just get it for using offensive abilities.
    Fracture/Breach would be nice, but on what skill?
    You cant replace empower on solar barrage as it would hurt magplar pve dps.
    Jabs already has a unique effect for both morphs.
    Id rather keep minor fracture on potl as a unique debuff.
    Options
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DK has both.

What? I think you are mistaking stuns for immobolise..
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Immobilize

Major protection is pretty much only on ults/sets, minor is a bit more common, only dk/sorc dont have in class access to it.
    I agree spearwall could last a bit longer.
    I dunno if you played a nb or warden before, but ask them how fun it is to spend half your skill rotation on just buffs.
    I like that on my templar i dont have to waste extra gcd on my crit buff, or for example minor sorcery. Same for protection, you just get it for using offensive abilities.
    Fracture/Breach would be nice, but on what skill?
    You cant replace empower on solar barrage as it would hurt magplar pve dps.
    Jabs already has a unique effect for both morphs.
    Id rather keep minor fracture on potl as a unique debuff.

See, still learning new *** after all these years...
    I have played warden and it sucks!!
    Jabs could have the buff moved to first strike. And sunfire is required to hit to get buff, should be on activation.
    I never said Templar should have major fracture/breach. I am okay with minor, but breach should be on magicka morph.
    Empower on barrage is useless for Templar unless using staff - would like to see the LA/HA mechanic scale on max stat so we can use DW effectively.
    Options