Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 18 - Feedback Thread for Nightblade Balance

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the Nightblade combat balance and ability changes. After you have a chance to try out different combat scenarios, let us know what you think of the current balance.
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The flat damage bonus of 20 percent more damage for 6 seconds is too strong on an ultimate (incap) that already hits hard, has a stun and has a potent debuff such as major defile with it. Would be nice if you changed the flat percent damage buff to all your damage to something like empower which would make the skill much more in line for its low cost.
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Can't wait to test out my tank build with the changes.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for fixing the shadowy disguise to only make direct damage attacks crit.
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The flat damage bonus of 20 percent more damage for 6 seconds is too strong on an ultimate (incap) that already hits hard, has a stun and has a potent debuff such as major defile with it. Would be nice if you changed the flat percent damage buff to all your damage to something like empower which would make the skill much more in line for its low cost.
    Doing this hurts stamblade PVE DPS.So they won't make that change.They are better off removing the stun.They won't increase the cost or remove the damage buff.
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The changes to Cloak makes becoming a Heavy Armor NB in PVP using Forward momentum pretty much a done deal.From my understanding no more Force Crit heal from cloak.Depending on if the heal can crit and a few other things your good to go.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJ wrote: »
    Doing this hurts stamblade PVE DPS.So they won't make that change.They are better off removing the stun.They won't increase the cost or remove the damage buff.

Why should Incap retain the 20% when everyone loses the ability to empower skills? And they didn’t touch Incap at all - it remains the same absurdly overloaded skill that would have lost either the defile, the knockback or the damage if it were any other class.

It’s fine only for Nightblades apparently.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »

Why should Incap retain the 20% when everyone loses the ability to empower skills? And they didn’t touch Incap at all - it remains the same absurdly overloaded skill that would have lost either the defile, the knockback or the damage if it were any other class.

Apart from the fact that the entire ultimate more often then not gets completely dodged.

Also, the minor protection on dark cloak lasting only 3s is way, way too short. Tanks arent gonna see enough uptime on this in the slightest. Also magblades need a snare removal on Blur skill.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Strife cost increase shifts balance to far towards force pulse as a Nightblade's damage spammable. Strife either needs a buff to balance it, or the cost needs to be reduced, as it is now I don't think it will get slotted on most DPS builds.

Playing since beta...
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Im totally fine with the changes to nightblades in summerset. Our unique class skills, burst and disapear is intact. I would like some more grouputility added though, so we can play other roles than assassins.
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Disagree. You cannot nerf that passive in any way without ending stamblade pve dps. Forget the high numbers you see on 3 mil dummy cheeses. That 20% is just as important to pve stamblades as is war marchine in making us hit 40k on longer parses. If you're looking for PvP balance, focus on the defile and the stun, the two aspects of the ultimate that deal with PvP.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made a list for magicka specs @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Wrobel

Strife:
    So Magblade isn't really over preforming much in comparison to stamblade in PvP Environments. I'm honestly shocked to see Magblade gets hit with a strife nerf (and stamblade still has ez sustain). Which is the one thing ZoS could do to actually truly annoy me. With this change to strife the skill is no longer really unique anymore and it doesn't even fix the issue of them over-preforming in PvE environments. It literally only punishes solo players and people who PvP. Many roleplayers (myself included) started playing a nightblade two years ago cuz strife was a fun skill and not overly punishing. Most those people are still very casual and will probably wish they choose something else to play. In addition to this most tanks use this skill for healing so the cheap cost is very necessary for them, another skill that tanks use for healing is burning embers which is FAR cheaper than strife is on live. A solution would be to make Strife cost about as much or slightly less then concealed weapon. That way the uniqueness of the skill in preserved and it still does less damage than Concealed Weapon and Force pulse. I can get behind a cost increase but the current amount that is proposed is pretty stupid as it doesn't do anything but hurt an audience it's not supposed to. If they'd make it unreflectable, increase the base healing/make it's healing done it's own value as opposed to a percentage of damage done, allow Strife's individual ticks to crit again/make the HOT value not refresh each time it's cast but instead when it's value becomes higher, it'd still be worth slotting as a defensive counterpart to Force Pulse's pure damage. But hey lets give mDK more sustain and make it even more powerful than it already is (Which is fine, but not if strife has the cost of force-pulse)

Assassin's blade:
    Since I am 85% against the strife change I feel it is sorta balanced to offer this one too. Increase the cost of this ability to that of force-pulse/concealed weapon. That way you are overall needing more sustain rather than just needing it for strife. It does so much damage for so little cost

Path:
    I'm pretty ok with these changes as this does actually address the issue of magic nightblades over preforming in PvE but I'd much prefer the healing factor of refreshing path be left alone but it's managable

Soul Siphion (And Tether):
    Why would I use this over resto ult? Please reduce the cost of this skill to that of Resto ult (and leap even) so that I have a reason to use this skill. Also the Tether radius is far too small so people dodge out of it all the time which makes it so annoying to use.

Shade:
    Yay! But the range of the teleport is bugged/pathetically small. Wouldn't mind if it got a duration buff too

Death Stroke: Reduce the duration of the defile to 3 seconds. I want to say reduce the 20% to 15% bonus damage but since the SOUL HARVEST morph is dodgable now I wouldn't like that change unless it was made undodgable. Both Morphs should loose the defile, have minor rather than major, or a 3 second major defile rather than 6 second. As much as I hate the stun on incap it kinda has to stay or else you have to remake the skill... Cuz at that point incap wouldn't actually incapacitate you. If the CC part was a actual stun rather than a knockdown effect you could CC break easier as your body wouldn't have a travel time (animation stuff). Also dodge roll isn't a reliable way to survive because from the moment you start the dodge isn't actually when you dodge. It's about 1/2 through the roll animation where attacks are actually counted as an dodge. If this was fixed then there would be less QQ around incap.

The post I have made here is unbiased and is made from logical conversations had with myself, KenaPKK, GandTheImpler, and Gilliamthergoue.
    You acknowledge the reliance of ZeniMax on Your honest, good faith, and unbiased commentary, suggestions, and evaluations of the Game during the Beta Trial. You represent and agree that You will act at all times with the highest ethical standards in connection with Your participation in the Beta Trial.
    Edited by NyassaV on April 16, 2018 8:38PM
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Who is the ZoS employee I should @ for numbers and adjusted tooltips and stuff like that?
    Edited by NyassaV on April 16, 2018 8:12PM
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please consider removing the stun on incap and removing the major defile from death storke and soul harvest but keep it on incap.

The stun opens a huge burst window that combined with how stamnb can engage and disengage at will is really critical.
    I made the math behind this change more than once and for all i can tell from my experience playing stamnb since beta it would balance them
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Removing the stun from incap will be balanced.

In a gank, the victim is already stunned by the opener, and if not, they'll be stunned by Ambush, so the follow up with Incap doesn't need a CC.

In a protracted brawl, the stun would be helpful, but with Ambush and fear, the nightblade has enough access to hard cc's to cover that scenario.

Changing the major defile to minor defile would allow skilled and prepared nightblades to stack the minor with major from Lethal Arrow, not so much nerfing the ultimate as raising the skill level with an attendant gain in benefit.

If the magnitude or duration of the 20% damage are reduced in any way, stamblades will all be replaced by Redguard and Imperial stamplars, and doubly so if the the cost of Incap is raised. Such a change will write stamblades out of end-game pvp (not even just vMoL score runs, but mere vMoL completes).

For those angry about Incap now, take into account how much the change to Empower will reduce the damage of Incap against you by 20%. The stamblade combo is always Ambush + Incap so that the latter benefits from Empower. With Empower only boosting light attacks, you will see not only Incap hit you for 20% less, but also Surprise Attack as well.

Take heed: Sometimes class nerfs aren't listed under the Class Balance heading.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NB is the only class without a damage-after-time skill (a skill that you can cast to deal damage later, without costing you a GCD in the moment it deals damage):
    • Sorcerer: Haunting Curse
    • Warden: Deep Fissure/Subterranean Assault
    • Templar: Purifying Light/Power of the Light
    • DK: Inhale's "exhale" damage/Flames of Oblivion (both of these are pretty bad, though, and look at how low people rank DK on "Which class is the strongest?" threads)

Stamblade and stam sorc are the only two classes that don't have access to a DAT, but stam DK gets an honorable mention because FoO is so bad.

Incap is cheap and gives 20% extra damage because it's meant to be a regular part of the class' combo and replace the damage gap left by the lack of delayed damage in their toolkit. The stun on incap, though, should definitely go (there's a reason why "Nerf incap" threads became so common after they changed Incap's stun to be guaranteed instead of health based) but even then, the Soul Harvest morph has no stun, and look at how little it gets used in PVP as anything other than a passive to generate ulti.
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on April 16, 2018 8:14PM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • ZOS_JesC
    ZOS_JesC
    admin
    Greetings, we removed a few comments that were baiting which is not permitted as outlined in our forum rules. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and keep comments productive to the conversation. Thank you for your understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_JesC wrote: »
    Greetings, we removed a few comments that were baiting which is not permitted as outlined in our forum rules. This is a friendly reminder to remain on topic and keep comments productive to the conversation. Thank you for your understanding.

That was fast :lol:
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seems like Night Blade mostly took nerf during this patch comparing other classes.

I will be testing in PTS and will provide feedback.
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like Night Blade mostly took nerf during this patch comparing other classes.

I will be testing in PTS and will provide feedback.

i am not suprised after several months of nerf stamblade forumthreads popping up left and right. It will be alot harder for nightblades in pvp from now on. But we will still be there lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right moment to strike.
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NyassaV wrote: »
    I made a list for magicka specs @ZOS_RichLambert @ZOS_Wrobel

I updated this list up above
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the Strife nerf,

I've been experimenting with Force Pulse in PvP in light of this.

Force Pulse is:
    • More damage (if you account for Penetrating Magic and Altmer/Dunmer racials, it might even be more or the same without racials)
    • Unreflectable, which is very strong as the rest of the ranged mNB kit is reflectable. Allows much more pressure against DKs and Wardens.
    • Can be much more reliably animation canceled in lag
    • No need to slot an extra skill to get Ancient Knowledge, allowing use of better alternative abilities
    • Doubles the uptime of status effects. This might not seem like much, but burning adds quite a bit of pressure if your damage is already pressure based.
    Strife:
    • While minor vitality is strong, much of the effect is lost by being front-bar'd, especially if you're damage shield based.
    • The HoT won't proc against block, can be "mitigated" (including against damage shields, no crits), and can be negated by dodging/reflecting the base damage, making it very weak in most practical situations. The strength of the HoT doesn't translate to PvP at all due to the ways to avoid and mitigate it. I don't even notice it's gone.
    The actual strength of this ability was being able to stack more damage as a return for it's cheaper cost. Without that, it's a very weak skill compared to FP/CS. I'll definitely be using FP if this nerf goes through.. I might even use it anyway, it's much better than I thought initially.
    Edited by ssewallb14_ESO on April 17, 2018 10:50AM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On the Strife nerf,

I've been experimenting with Force Pulse in PvP in light of this.

Force Pulse is:
    • More damage (if you account for Penetrating Magic and Altmer/Dunmer racials, it might even be more or the same without racials)
    • Unreflectable, which is very strong as the rest of the range mNB kit is reflectable. Allows much more pressure against DKs and Wardens.
    • Can be much more reliably animation canceled in lag
    • No need to slot an extra skill to get Ancient Knowledge, allowing use of better alternative abilities
    • Doubles the uptime of status effects. This might not seem like much, but burning adds quite a bit of pressure if your damage is already pressure based.
    Strife:
    • While minor vitality is strong, much of the effect is lost by being front-bar'd, especially if you're shield based.
    • The HoT won't proc against block, can be "mitigated" (including against damage shields, no crits), and can be negated by dodging/reflecting the base damage, making it very weak in most practical situations. I don't even notice it's gone.
    The actual strength of this ability was being able to stack more damage as a return for it's cheaper cost. Without that, it's a very weak skill compared to FP/CS. I'll definitely be using FP if this nerf goes through.. I might even use it anyway, it's much better than I thought initially.

^ I've actually tried it too. I'm not sure I like it a lot but it isn't bad at all. I'd prefer if they remove the Destro skill requirement for ancient knowledge though. Pretty on point info
    Edited by NyassaV on April 16, 2018 8:51PM
  • Own
    Own
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Dark Cloak change is bad. As someone who has always used this offensively, it doesn't feel good to be forced into the more common morph. I think there are plenty of other skills that can have a max health heal.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    l3alls wrote: »
    The Dark Cloak change is bad. As someone who has always used this offensively, it doesn't feel good to be forced into the more common morph. I think there are plenty of other skills that can have a max health heal.

A Max health heal while still having access to cloak would be too much.
  • Minaithelan
    Minaithelan
    ✭✭
    Hello, as a NB healer I'd like to share my thoughts. These are purely PvE as I don't PvP much. Also, all is still subject to testing, and I will try to compliment with more solid numbers as the days on the PTS pass.

Offering skill
    • Change from targeted to smart-targeted: Nice to have, as targeting someone in mechanics-heavy environments is really difficult; not impossible, but a bit impractical in some scenarios.
    • Change from HoT to Burst heal: Partially agree. Burst healing is nice to have, but a nice burst-HoT such as it is right now is something that differentiates how each class heals. Besides, the HoT was already significant to help tanks during burst phases.
    • Change from flat cost to DoT cost: I don't think this is the direction you should aim towards. If you really want all classes to compete in dungeons and trials just answer me this: how are NB healers expected to sustain a tank if they happen to be tank healers in vAS? Yes, sure, now they have a nice addition in the form of a burst heal, but if you have a DoT on top of all the dodgeable and ground based effects the bosses cast, they will simply underperform, especially in end-game where deaths matter a lot.

Refreshing path
    • Nerf to healing done: I do not agree with this. Nightblades have almost no team synergies, and most importantly, no way to regenerate resources for the team outside of Energy Orb. This means you need to STOP casting healing spells for an Orb-string-cast (usually 5-6 in a row to assure at least one will reach the tank). And while most of the group will actually benefit from that strong SPC-proc-heal-and-resource-regen combo, the tank will get a single orb with almost no heal for himself... and this assumes enough casts were done for at least one orb to leave the group. Yes, refreshing path may be over-performing a bit (NB healers are currently the kings and queens of Healing Done, and have been since Morrowind hit), but this over-performance does allow to keep a tank's health going while spamming orbs for the group. At the end, this change will make NB healing underperform, if slightly.
    • My reasoning is that Devs may be of the idea that the new regen skills will be slotted by tanks. If meta changes towards that direction, then I'd agree to the nerf. But I'd leave this change on the air until we see how the meta shifts.

Soul siphon
    • Change to a bigger range: Agree this was needed, especially for newest trials where re-positioning is important.
    • Ultimate cost not changed: However, I don't know about this detail. If we didn't have Wardens with a 90 ultimate cost or even the Resto Ulti at 125 I would not mind. Yes, the healing is insane, the buff is nice for burst and the synergy is ok (notice how each adjective slightly worsens?); but this cost is no longer competitive with other similar ultis. We already have morphs that lower ultimate cost, why not also do it for the healing one?

Bolstering Darkness
    • Change to lingering buff: Agree with this, as it not only competes but also stacks with Nova, and having both would be a nice addition. Nova still wins though, but at least we are on line with Storm (Wardens).
    • Target cap: The problem I see with this skill (and Warden's Storm one) is that the Major Protection buff is limited to 6 people, whereas the 30% damage done reduction will indirectly benefit all 12 participants in a trial, due to how each mechanic plays (also the reason why they can be stacked). So, it may be a change in the right direction but people will still prefer to run with a Templar.

What are NB healers still lacking?
    • Team synergies. These are a must, especially for healing skills. Alkosh is almost mandatory in all groups and we need to help the tank keep a good uptime. Adding a single synergy to either Refreshing path or Offering would be ideal as they are the healing skills more in contact with tanks.
    • An efficient way to help with resource regeneration. You could simply add this option via a synergy in Offering. Even if only one type of resource is regenerated instead of two (like Shards). Even more: I'd be happy to have my resources (Magicka or Stam) be siphoned to the ally that was smart-targeted with this skill, even on a 1-for-1 ratio. I don't think it may lead to abuses as it is tied to: 1) DoT for caster, 2) Synergy CD, 3) Resource Drain.
    • Major Resolve/Ward: Having a way to extend these two buffs in spite of wearing light armor. Right now you need to reapply Path every 6 seconds, which makes the rotation a bit difficult, especially during burst phases, where you need it the most. However, with the changes to Shadow Cloak we should have a way to survive, albeit for only 3 seconds.

These are my thought for now regarding NB healing, if someone wants to discuss and test on the PTS, more than welcome to add me. Cheers!
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strife nerf needs to be reversed. Period.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • KingJ
    KingJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never said it shouldn't be removed what I said is that it won't be removed.Its to important for StamNB PVe DPS to be removed. I agree the stun should be remove but Pvers would cry to much if they remove the damage buff.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I advice you to reconsider Strife increase.
    There were several threads made about this change in past weeks, a lot of player feedback was given.

You want to bring it more in line with Force Pulse, but it totally makes no sense. Why you don't reduce cost of Force Pulse instead to match Strife one?

You want to have more diversity in builds, but don't you see that with these kind of changes you are the one who kills diversity?

Now every magblade in PvE will use Force Pulse instead of Strife. Strife will become useless nearly everywhere except vMA and PvP.

This is how you increase diversity? Open your eyes finally. There will be none.

Another thing: after Dragon Bones Assassin's Will is broken. It was reported many times that if you have proc ready on your bar and you exit the combat, proc disappears even if you have still Merciless Resolve active.

It was never confirmed as intended change, and in today's patch notes there was still no word about it. This causes frustration in content like vMA, where you exit combat all the time.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Third thing: why the heck you buffed path two times in a row, just to nerf it now? How long are we going to play with "buff in one patch, nerf in next one" kind of thing?

You guys really don't know what to do with some abilities so you start changing something which doesn't need any change at all. I hope you are aware that path still underperforms comparing to elemental blockade.
  • BohnT
    BohnT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In the same vein that snare abilities should either be short and powerful or long and weak, abilities should be low damage and CC, or high damage and no CC ~ Patch notes developer comment

Where does incap Fall in this case?
    High damage, long CC, very strong debuffs and low cost.
    Well that seems balanced right?