The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Daily login rewards have me scared for ESO's future

• Motherball
    Motherball
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its kinda funny how easily people are manipulated. I log into games to play them, not for some fleeting gift. Not going to log on every day just because fear of missing out.
  • rafaelcsmaia
    rafaelcsmaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like hirelings 2.0, nothing new here
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Man if only I'd realized that daily log in rewards were going to turn me into so much of an entitled, lootbox addicted, n00b I'd have fired all my hirelings ages ago.

Alas hindsight is 20/20 and all that. :(
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I almost always log in everyday anyway, so daily log in rewards will add a fun surprise that costs me nothing additional seems all good to me, looking forward to it!
    Edited by jlmurra2 on March 29, 2018 5:12PM
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand your worry here, OP. You're afraid this a sign of doom in the absence of any other indicator of doom? You're worried about the moral state of other gamers being compromised by greed? Or...?

Sometimes I think somewhere on the internet are people who have philosophical objections to literally anything. Puppies with their manipulative cuteness, they're why this generation is so soft and younger than I am! My brothers, I fear the puppies will be the end of us all.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like hirelings 2.0, nothing new here

Mhh, you got me thinking here, will we get a letter?

"Pacrooti is so happy for you. This one was lucky to see how this crown crate fell off a cart."
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • griffkhalifa
    griffkhalifa
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS charges for crates and crown store items: people complain. ZOS gives things away for free: people complain.
    PS4 NA
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like a small expansion of hirelings and dailys to me. I have often said that I might not still be playing this game if it weren't for crafting writs. Most of us that of have played since beta have had lulls in their ESO experience, but writs actually kept me logging in every day for some of them.

I will admit that my first thought was your first thought. Login rates must be declining among active players. I have noticed a steady decline among my active friends list since about a month after morrowind dropped. I could care less about free stuff, but if the game really is seeing a population decline, that's obviously concerning. Not that they would tell us that....
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw this and don't think it was mentioned yet.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4986487/#Comment_4986487
    Just to clear one thing up, the daily login rewards are cumulative, not consecutive. This means you aren't forced to log in every single day to get a thing, but rather, you get a thing each time you log in.

Thought that is refreshingly different!

(Psst. The longer you can hold off logging in the better your reward! Just kidding. :D )
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

Just asking: why would need anyone any rewards, if they don't even play just that 2 minutes daily? If I'm not interested in the game anymore, they can give me any reward, anytime, I won't login for those.

• Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as it's nothing special or exclusive like skins, and it's just small little bits of gold or consumable potions, I don't have an issue with daily login rewards. I mean, they basically already have the same thing with writs and hires in the crafting skill lines. However, I do have an issue if they plan on integrating daily login rewards into the crown store. It's already worrying that they have those super rare mounts you can't get with gems. A slippery slope it can be...
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really won't effect the game either way.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as mmos ESO is doing pretty good and as long as it's linked to Elder Scrolls It’ll have potential to stay for the long haul. But when it comes to log in rewards there’s a few other popular mmos that have a login reward system as well, it’s pretty normal now to give players more incentive to logging in.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is a non issue, literally everyone gets it.
  • IV_Deity
    IV_Deity
    ✭✭✭
    This is the only community that is so negative with anything "free". I'm trying to figure out how does one draw so much negativity from "free". I will never understand.
    Now on PC.
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great!!!! I will have a lot of lockpicks! :D
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IV_Deity wrote: »
    This is the only community that is so negative with anything "free". I'm trying to figure out how does one draw so much negativity from "free". I will never understand.

Fear of the slippery slope things like this might lead to based on similar situations historically.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    "With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day."

Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in. I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

"With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does. So you will see players of all sides (pve,pvp) doing dailies (pledges, pvp dailies, writs) for these login rewards and make the game more vibrant and alive and they can stick around longer than the 2 minutes it take to log in and log back off for the rewards.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347?Summerset-and-Update-18-Preview

So by making the game tedious and grindy it's gunna get better? The daily quests are also far more time consuming than simply logging in. I'd rather just put in my password and claim my reward on 16 hour work shift days than *** around with dumb quests for 2 hours and sleep less. Or do more pvp, leveling... Whatever... You know... THE ACTUAL FUN STUFF?

Also... Who the F complains about free stuff LOL. I swear to divines, some people these days... Never happy.
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Things that are bad:
    • Paid stuff
    • Free stuff
    • Free paid stuff
    • Paid free stuff

Things that are good:

So much THIS.

It takes 2 minutes to 6 to complete a writ, it is far from time consuming. If the 2 minute wait time to get into the game is too much for you then mmos might not be your thing

It takes way way way more if u gotta go kill or farm stuff let alone some other possible stupid objectives. Travel time, loading time, fighting, backtracking... And even if it's 10 minutes it's besides the point you missed entirely.

MMOs can make it really bad af if they want to. Hence why I'd rather get stuff on just logging in. Idk about you vut I'd rather spend every extra minute on something else in my life than doing some repeatable pointless crap for the 500th time.
  • Saturn
    Saturn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the "daily rewards" being announced, I thought, this is a clear sign of things going south. Because something like an incentive to log on daily is what I'd imagine a company would do to boost their active player number. I'm also not really believing in the recent stats they released last year, with their bragging about 2 million active players every month. And from what I've seen from playing the game, it's been very desolate compared to in the past like around Orsinium and One Tamriel. I think instead of finding ways to keep people playing, they should investigate why it is so many have quit or play significantly less. Personally I find the lack of performance optimisation and removal of bugs to be a big contributor to my own inactivity in the game. And when you are busy and only have a limited time to spend on games, you tend to choose the ones that you like the most, which in my case hasn't been ESO for a long time.
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy nonetheless."

Fire and Ice
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

TANSTAAFL.

Free stuff is great. What concerns me is how much it will cost me.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motherball wrote: »
    Its kinda funny how easily people are manipulated. I log into games to play them, not for some fleeting gift. Not going to log on every day just because fear of missing out.

Apparently there are some that are afraid of missing out and will now feel pressured to log in.

If I am not logging in for awhile, for whatever reasons, unless the rewards are game changers for me, I will not be making it a priority to make sure I adjust my schedule to give me time to log in. I suffer enough from bad RNG to know better.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

every online game i have played has negative elements in the forum community.

people who just whine for the sake of whining....

such is life.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

TANSTAAFL.

You get an "awesome" for the Heinlein reference.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭

every online game i have played has negative elements in the forum community.

people who just whine for the sake of whining....

such is life.

a reflection of our present society and some of the perpetually offended elements therein.
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rouven wrote: »
    Just saw this and don't think it was mentioned yet.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4986487/#Comment_4986487
    Just to clear one thing up, the daily login rewards are cumulative, not consecutive. This means you aren't forced to log in every single day to get a thing, but rather, you get a thing each time you log in.

Thought that is refreshingly different!

(Psst. The longer you can hold off logging in the better your reward! Just kidding. :D )

Ok, so they ARE following the GW2 model on this. Which hasn't hurt GW2 and probably won't hurt ESO either.
  • Donari
    Donari
    ✭✭✭✭

TANSTAAFL.

You get an "awesome" for the Heinlein reference.

Goodness, always thought that was Larry Niven since his books are where I saw it as a young 'un. I mean I read Heinlein too, but it was the Gil the Arm series that cemented it in my mind. (Of course upon a bit of googling I find that it actually goes back further than Heinlein's use, he just popularized it). Thanks for teaching me something!

As mentioned in my post above, I don't think there's a "cost" involved in this other than encouraging more frequent logging in on the part of folks like myself who can go days to weeks without firing up ESO due to the very long load in and lengthy time needed to meaningfully play once in. It works very well in GW2, it should work the same way here as it seems they are implementing it in a nearly identical fashion. (Note -- GW2 is also B2P with a cosmetic shop, they are very comparable business models).
  • Esquirel
    Esquirel
    ✭✭
    ZOS charges for crates and crown store items: people complain. ZOS gives things away for free: people complain.

this ^
  • Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    Kendaric wrote: »
    While I'm not overly concerned over the daily login rewards, I'm concerned about the direction ESO is headed when things like login rewards and crown store gifting are advertised as main features of a base game update.

It seems to me that ZOS has lost faith in their game's capabiliy to hold players unless they give out rewards for logging in. Players shouldn't need an incentive to make it past the login screen...

That's probably because of the fiasco that happened with the crafting bag. I know some games that, yes indeed, gate gifting things to others from the cash shop behind a subscription ( a certain Korean mmo comes to mind) so they are probably doing a damage control in itself by announcing it will be a base game update since people are so quick to torch and pitchfork that a commonly requested feature (like the housing storage which is cash shop unless you level a new toon to 18) would be gated behind having ESO+.

So not so much that ZOS has lost faith in their game but that they lost faith in their players having enough sense rattling around behind their eyes. Easier to just spell it all out plainly then have speculation going round. It's a lesson that Blizzard has to relearn almost every 3 months that ZOS actually retained.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »
    TES Legends is doing login rewards as well, it's probably just something they're trying across all their IP.

This was my first thought as well.

I think we are probably over-analyzing a fairly common game mechanic that may have no hidden meaning whatsoever, but fwiw here are my reactions:
    • Free stuff is not bad. It can't be that hard to code something like this so I doubt this new feature is keeping us from getting other "real" content.
    • Daily logins can help the community; if you log in just to do writs or get your reward, but you see in guild chat that someone is going to run something, you might stay and help.
    • ESO has a certain charm and I agree that implementation here will be key. This is not Candy Crush. Please deliver the reward through e-mail like hirelings, Undaunted, etc. Make it part of the game world. The e-mail could come from the Crown Crate Khajit. :)
    • At least for me, "growing" rewards actually dis-incentivize me long term. I get very frustrated when I miss one and give up. Honestly I quit Legends after I got my first full month reward because I hated the feeling of having to log in or else my streak would be ruined. Didn't want to get tied to it for a whole other month. Please don't do this.
    • Would be cool if all the rewards you don't want could be extracted for gems.
    • Will be annoying if you CAN'T extract rewards for gems, and you can see if you get a reward you already have (collectible) and get nothing.
    • People complained about the "level up" rewards for new characters so this partially could be ZOS's answer to that.
    • I used to log in every day for writs. I stopped because logging in takes so long and it isn't "quick." Make loading screens faster and I am more likely to log in everyday than I would for a daily reward.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    loot box culture....nothing to be afraid of, its already here.

The game launched with a requirement to log in each day for:
    -mail
    -horse training
    -etc.

It never left, its just now creating a habitual experience so that customer are more open to being monetized for better "random" possibilities. I kept saying ESO Plus was a bad thing....now maybe more will agree, see they have added more and more items that will force you to need inventory maintenance and need to use crowns from your sub to access QoL features or speed up things.

SOS diff look

I don't plan on quitting over this, if the prior hasn't bothered you this shouldn't either.

Hirelings pressure you to log in twice a day!