The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daily login rewards have me scared for ESO's future

• Kanar
    Kanar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I cannot log in every day, so... I suppose those rewards aren´t for me.

You better find a way otherwise you'll miss out on the gold tempers, aetherial dust, and perfect roe that the rest of us are getting.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy moly camoly...daily login rewards sounds good to me!
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...

Warframe is awesome .
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    Inb4 lockpick daily reward
    I hope they're not that suicidal.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free Stuff, yes!
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I said on another thread, this stinks of desperation.

And I don't think there's any reason for ZOS to be desperate, so why do it?
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan, but not the worst either. Overall I feel it's a sad trend though. But as someone else already pointed out we went down that path with the crates, we shall venture deeper.
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mic1007 wrote: »
    They're making a new Chapter, and are already going on four years. ESO is fine. I think this is just this year's weird marketing decision. They have one every year. :lol:

2015 - Introduce Crown Store, people cry
    2016 - Crown Crates, people cry
    2017 - Chapter, people cry
    2018 - Daily Login rewards, people will cry

:p
    That’s the truth, every year they make a major announcement that makes people fear for the future of the game.

It would only be surprising if they did not this year.

This year things will probably be fine too. Some people may leave, other people will join, a few will pick up a secondary account for more free stuff.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Elissae
    Elissae
    ✭✭✭
    Guild Wars 2 and Black Desert have been doing this for quite some time, and they're healthy games as far as I know.

Extra thingies for doing something I do anyway, hardly going to complain about that :)
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the things to fear, this is not it. Dear me, I'm used to daily thingies from GW2, so don't see the big deal here.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elissae wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 and Black Desert have been doing this for quite some time, and they're healthy games as far as I know.

Extra thingies for doing something I do anyway, hardly going to complain about that :)

It’s not that....it’s that

-ESO Plus (gated QoL only)
    -Chapters (outside of eso plus only)
    -Houses crown only
    -Cosmetics crown only
    -Crown crated (exclusive crate and crown gem only)

On top of all of that....the ongoing issues that aren’t being addressed and more issues being added with 90-180 day “balancing”

....they go and revert back to what they said Tamriel Unlimited was to remove.
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on March 28, 2018 8:21PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @aliyavana
    Not sure where you got that information regarding games who introduce daily logins are signs of a declining game. Many games utilize this as a way to keep incentivizing players to stick with their game as newer ones come out.

Take PSO2 for example; They introduced a daily login system I think back in 2015 yet around that same time they continued to gain more players interested in the game (It would be even more popular if it wasn't so narrow-minded in how they handle foreign players in terms of their UI or lacking language support).

Warframe is another example; They were a startup albeit failed but then tried an idea and so far it's taken off. They too have introduced a login system but that was before I got into the game. The game is becoming even more popular today but this can also be thanks to Destiny 2s' failure in living up to what many veteran players (including myself) had thought the game would be i.e continuation from what we had in Destiny 1 but better.

Edit: Recently released Monster Hunter world started off with login rewards but this is more associated with the JP audience which is why I believe this was introduced. Almost all JPMMORPG games I've played feature a login system. Monster Hunter world is doing very good, in terms of popularity it's still climbing which is a healthy sign for future development of the game i.e DLC.

I'm quite sure there's more examples out there in regards to daily login but associating them in a blanket statement to the decline of a game is IMO disingenuous.
    Edited by MaxwellC on March 28, 2018 8:34PM
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're making a new Chapter, and are already going on four years. ESO is fine. I think this is just this year's weird marketing decision. They have one every year. :lol:

:p

undo all and maybe we'll smile? I feel like they already "undid" the chapter thing.. I mean look at SOMMERSET :P
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    "With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day."

Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in. I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

"With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does. So you will see players of all sides (pve,pvp) doing dailies (pledges, pvp dailies, writs) for these login rewards and make the game more vibrant and alive and they can stick around longer than the 2 minutes it take to log in and log back off for the rewards.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347?Summerset-and-Update-18-Preview

So by making the game tedious and grindy it's gunna get better? The daily quests are also far more time consuming than simply logging in. I'd rather just put in my password and claim my reward on 16 hour work shift days than *** around with dumb quests for 2 hours and sleep less. Or do more pvp, leveling... Whatever... You know... THE ACTUAL FUN STUFF?

Also... Who the F complains about free stuff LOL. I swear to divines, some people these days... Never happy.
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Things that are bad:
    • Paid stuff
    • Free stuff
    • Free paid stuff
    • Paid free stuff

Things that are good:

So much THIS.
    Edited by Nyladreas on March 28, 2018 8:34PM
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they don't add those tacky daily login roulette wheels / maps that MMOs sometimes like to add..

dugneVU.jpg
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest issue is that these daily rewards have the tendency to be just clutter for the bags. If it gives anything, it should be stuff that doesn't use bag slots. Currency would be fine, but the consumables part is going to either be filling up bags or be thrown away. And new players won't even know what to do with that stuff. This always happens to me when I start a new game that has this system. This system as it is described will add nothing more but clutter.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZeroXFF wrote: »
    My biggest issue is that these daily rewards have the tendency to be just clutter for the bags. If it gives anything, it should be stuff that doesn't use bag slots. Currency would be fine, but the consumables part is going to either be filling up bags or be thrown away. And new players won't even know what to do with that stuff. This always happens to me when I start a new game that has this system. This system as it is described will add nothing more but clutter.

Well, hopefully you'd be able to sell, deconstruct, research, drink, eat etc. If not, yikes.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this a article like who cares. It's free stuff they to get people to play more , that s the goal of any game, the game would also go on if this didn't exist so I don't see this as desperation but something they thought would be good.
    Edited by grizzledcroc on March 28, 2018 8:48PM
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...

Warframe is awesome .

A liiittle grindy, but I concur. DE is also awesome.
  • Numerikuu
    Numerikuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Numerikuu wrote: »
    Inb4 lockpick daily reward
    I hope they're not that suicidal.

I'd let it slide if it was an April Fool's thing :D
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, hopefully you'd be able to sell, deconstruct, research, drink, eat etc. If not, yikes.

Look at it from the perspective of a new player, who doesn't know, what the f*** "deconstruct" and "research" means, and who thinks that "oh, this gives a buff, let's keep it until I actually need it" but then never need it because all the content that a new player is confronted with is easy enough to do with a blindfold and nothing but light attacks. Not like new players with 60 bag slots have a lot of space to spare. Currencies could actually be saved up until they are needed (except for those with caps, in which case it will just add to FOMO once the caps are reached), and those players know what to do with them.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Look at it from the perspective of a new player, who doesn't know, what the f*** "deconstruct" and "research" means, and who thinks that "oh, this gives a buff, let's keep it until I actually need it" but then never need it because all the content that a new player is confronted with is easy enough to do with a blindfold and nothing but light attacks. Not like new players with 60 bag slots have a lot of space to spare. Currencies could actually be saved up until they are needed (except for those with caps, in which case it will just add to FOMO once the caps are reached), and those players know what to do with them.

I have more faith in newbs than you do, I guess.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turelus nailed it
    I I think it's cheesy, it reminds me of F2P mobile games and such and I just don't like that image on ESO.

It also (further) demonstrates that the showrunners and devs prioritize "more things" over game quality, and are targeting a customer base with the same priorities.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in.

Really? Based on what empirical data?

I think im going to have to humbly disagree. ESO is doing amazingly well. Theyre selling thousands of copies, have hit over 10mil, 8 more million and it will reach Skyrim sales levels.

additionally, we have players spending $1800 on crown crates (this is not an exaggeration, members of discords have admitted this) and suddenly everything youre saying is bonkers.

With that being said: as others have said, this is part of the "meeting industry standards". The loot crate B.S. that you see in virtually every game is being employed here as well. To me, ESO and ZOS are playing it safe and getting their cake and being able to eat it as well. Double dipping. They are getting sub/B2P revenue IN ADDITION to the typical F2P cash grabs.

well played ZOS, well played. Now gimme my Tsaesci Motif so i can give you more crowns
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does.

I tend to agree with this. If the point is for people to play, you don't just hand them a reward for logging into the game.

Misguided, in my opinion.

Every one of those is a step downhill.

Edited by Elsonso on March 28, 2018 9:06PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does.

I tend to agree with this. If the point is for people to play, you don't just hand them a reward for logging into the game.

I agree, why would you reward a player for logging in to the game? Why not lock it behind one fast daily reward? atleast you are playing the game to get rewards
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    "With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day."

Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in. I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

"With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does. So you will see players of all sides (pve,pvp) doing dailies (pledges, pvp dailies, writs) for these login rewards and make the game more vibrant and alive and they can stick around longer than the 2 minutes it take to log in and log back off for the rewards.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347?Summerset-and-Update-18-Preview

So by making the game tedious and grindy it's gunna get better? The daily quests are also far more time consuming than simply logging in. I'd rather just put in my password and claim my reward on 16 hour work shift days than *** around with dumb quests for 2 hours and sleep less. Or do more pvp, leveling... Whatever... You know... THE ACTUAL FUN STUFF?

Also... Who the F complains about free stuff LOL. I swear to divines, some people these days... Never happy.
    Acrolas wrote: »
    Things that are bad:
    • Paid stuff
    • Free stuff
    • Free paid stuff
    • Paid free stuff

Things that are good:

So much THIS.

It takes 2 minutes to 6 to complete a writ, it is far from time consuming. If the 2 minute wait time to get into the game is too much for you then mmos might not be your thing
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, why would you reward a player for logging in to the game? Why not lock it behind one fast daily reward? atleast you are playing the game to get rewards

Sigh. I am beginning to think that ZOS needs to ring me up and talk to me before they start working on new ideas. :smiley:
    Edited by Elsonso on March 28, 2018 9:17PM
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sigh. I am beginning to think that ZOS needs to ring me up and talk to me before they start working on new ideas. :smiley:

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me or agreeing with me now
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me or agreeing with me now

I think that ZOS is making some very strange decisions, and could be doing things in a more engaging manner. I think that there is no point to just handing people free candy for logging in. I think that the point of a GAME is to PLAY the game, and that the rewards come from doing that. Rewards should not be handed out simply for successfully getting past the login load screen and figuring out how to retrieve mail.

Although... I suppose getting past the initial load screen could be considered something to celebrate. At least until ZOS fixes their game.

If that is in agreement with you, then we are in agreement. :smile: