The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Daily login rewards have me scared for ESO's future

• myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another "Sky is falling" post. Why making it? Why not be simply glad with a new nice feature? Why ALWAYS whining? Is it a life style?
    I created a new character a few weeks ago. And you know what? The Wailing Prison zone of a "dying" ESO was so crowded with new players, that I had to wait till late at night to play. And still late at night more and more newcommers poped up.
    No, it was not a free play period. And it is easy to tell an experienced player from a very new one. So, more and more people are buying a "dying" game. Wow.
    Edited by myskyrim26 on March 28, 2018 11:53PM
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mic1007 wrote: »
    They're making a new Chapter, and are already going on four years. ESO is fine. I think this is just this year's weird marketing decision. They have one every year. :lol:

2015 - Introduce Crown Store, people cry
    2016 - Crown Crates, people cry
    2017 - Chapter, people cry
    2018 - Daily Login rewards, people will cry

:p

This. Like others have said, if your driven away from the game, it won't be because of daily logins. I have yet to have a game make me want to play just so I can log in for my daily freebee. and ESO has been going for many years, is still strong, and If I had a dime for every "This spells doom for the game!" thread, I probably wouldn't have to work.

Not saying that the game is without fault. Plenty of big and small issues they need to fix. But I don't see this as any death of a game issue. more like they are just adding more of the marketing junk. I'm not for or against it. don't care really. As long as they just make the game better.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »
    Yet another "Sky is falling" post. Why making it? Why not be simply glad with a new nice feature? Why ALWAYS whining? Is it a life style?
    I created a new character a few weeks ago. And you know what? The Wailing Prison zone of a "dying" ESO was so crowded with new players, that I had to wait till late at night to play. And still late at night more and nore newcommers poped up.
    No, it was not a free play period. So, more and more people are buyin a "dying" game. Wow.

God bless you, you must be new to these forums.

Have a fishy stick and strap yourself in.

ImperialFishyStick.jpg
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Acheration
    Acheration
    Soul Shriven
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...

Warframe is doing more than "just fine" tbh.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A ton of games have login rewards.
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »
    Hopefully they don't add those tacky daily login roulette wheels / maps that MMOs sometimes like to add..

dugneVU.jpg

Yep, if they want to give free stuff away just for logging in, I suspect for most end level players it will go straight in the bin anyway.

But, I used to play Lotro for years. Gradually the store intrusion to the game became more and more,

Then one day, we log in and find new daily and weekly gifts or as they called them, hobbit presents or as I called them, glaringly intrusive hobbit presents, which are basically like a slot machine, really gets you in the mood for a stroll through middle earth
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JD2013,
    TY! It is fun, though I have a very rough idea of a fishy stick - read something about it it at TIL
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game is dead, might as well quit now! Can I have you all stuff?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The daily login reward has been around for sometime in games both succeeding and failing. I think it might be more a sign that the crown store not succeeding as much. They hope to increase sales by giving more of a taste instead of coming to reason that they are off with too high of prices.

Also consider that crates have horrible odds. By giving more away they can point to that as saying their are trying to balance it out. Keep in mind that there are countries trying to put pressure against the use of crates. Hard to say what kinds of appeasement companies will try to keep crates going as long as they can.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Login rewards are just to help causuals become addicted to the game.

Will help overall population in the long runs.

If we get tri-pots from it I’ll be happy!
    Edited by KingYogi415 on March 29, 2018 12:39AM
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runescape 3 has daily log in rewards, and we all know Runescape will last to the end of time ;D
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every time they announce something you guys jump on a fear for your life fantasy world gonna end campaign...

Its free stuff lil incentive to make it pas log in screen.
  • Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    Every single MMO goes through an ebb and fall in players. The fact that both ESO and GW2 are more willing to supplement downtime with events/dlc between expansions/chapters is the real telling of if the game is failing or not. ESO's future is fine. To be perfectly honest, there are only two games I can log in at any time and see a bunch of people running around regardless of the zone. ESO is one of them. The other? GW2, who also has daily log in rewards.
    When I played WoW, on the other hand, there were times where I was the only person in a zone when I'd use /who. It was a literal unless on high pop server the game was dead thing. The fact that ESO and GW2 hit on a formula to have an active player base almost 24/7 while WoW has peak times is a bit more telling about a game's state of being.

Also,
    aliyavana wrote: »
    Edit:please keep it crown only items, cosmetics, etc, no currency should be a reward for simply logging in

Why is that you want crown only items but no currency? It'd be great to have something like tel var stones as a daily reward or whatnot. It just gives those farming just that small boost to have 5 extra stones every month. As we have no way to know how they are gonna structure these log in dailies. We don't know if they will emulate GW2 where it cycles continuously each month or do something more like Wildstar's daily log in where it's an actual year deal. We have no clue what currency they are talking of, be it tel var stones, gold or even a small chunk of crowns (like 25, not enough to buy anything and forever to build it up). So before we start saying 'don't add that!' I think it'd be better to wait and see what is actually included. In that matter, you aren't later on going 'Why isn't this a daily reward?' only to find out that the developers considered something like motifs are considered a currency to them.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These rewards are going to be 97% useless junk.
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope the rewards are worth it. I'm on everyday anyways but we all know how loot/rng is in ESO.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time they announce something you guys jump on a fear for your life fantasy world gonna end campaign...

I'm gonna sound like one of those people, but I'd rather they spend the development dollars on QoL fixes, performance, and stability of the game. Login rewards don't really ring my bell. It sort of comes off like "we aren't going to fix our game, so here, have a Crown consumable when you log in."

Shrug.

Not the direction I was hoping they would take with the game development. Something to remember when they finally release a new game.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mattock_Romulus
    Mattock_Romulus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marvel Heroes had daily login rewards and the game is still going....never mind it's dead.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna sound like one of those people, but I'd rather they spend the development dollars on QoL fixes, performance, and stability of the game. Login rewards don't really ring my bell. It sort of comes off like "we aren't going to fix our game, so here, have a Crown consumable when you log in."

Shrug.

Not the direction I was hoping they would take with the game development. Something to remember when they finally release a new game.

Just because they don't appeal to you doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. Not every feature will appeal to everyone. On daily login rewards, you are simply not their target audience. Same with free crown crates.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys worry and complain too much . When free stuff gets put up on the complaint list , it's time to unplug and go for some fresh air seriously .
    Free stuff is fine, but if you're giving it out in a "mobile like" way it kind of just makes the game feel cheesy.

If you're trying to incentives people to log in and play every day focus on making content which can be done every day and is exciting. Just logging in and out again for your daily free item (like people did with crates before the kill something requirement).

Maybe it's aimed more at console players to retain their attention between releases as others have speculated. To me is just seems too much like the "games as services or live services" thing other companies are doing right now.

Edit: Also we have daily log in rewards, they're called crafting mails.
    Edited by Turelus on March 29, 2018 7:19AM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While I'm not overly concerned over the daily login rewards, I'm concerned about the direction ESO is headed when things like login rewards and crown store gifting are advertised as main features of a base game update.

It seems to me that ZOS has lost faith in their game's capabiliy to hold players unless they give out rewards for logging in. Players shouldn't need an incentive to make it past the login screen...
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Rair.Kitani
      Rair.Kitani
      ✭✭✭
      I don't mind free stuff, lol.
      If you could just exchange for crown gems, I would even be fine with 95% junk items. Two Gems a day sum up over time.

Edit:
      I think the RPG sector of online games is declining all together. Action- or shooter based games are in demand right now. That's why most mmorpgs are more focused to keep their player base then to aquire new costumers.
      Edited by Rair.Kitani on March 29, 2018 8:08AM
    • Fischblut
      Fischblut
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I already have to log in each day at least to feed two more horses and do crafting dailies. Soon there will be some free stuff on top of it, this sounds great! :) Maybe we will even get free item for each character (one can dream)... :blush:
      I can complain about nerfs and such (these things actually have negative impact on ESO future), but I would never complain about getting free stuff :o
    • Sigma957
      Sigma957
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Since I log in everyday to check my hirelings now I will get more free stuff I can't see anything to complain about here. :smiley:
    • K0rpeN
      K0rpeN
      ✭✭✭
      I think people will find any excuse to make a post nowadays to get attention... Really.. what's the harm to get free stuff for just logging in?
    • Rouven
      Rouven
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Meh, it always depends on how it's done. I'm not looking forward to either:

a) another screen I have to click away

b) an icon in the corner trying to get my attention

c) future threads you know will come: Did you read the thread about the guy who got three crown crates in a row? I never got one. He even got an ultra apex mount, I spent $5000 and never got one. I just got my 200th lockpick, good show ZOS. Etc. Yawn.

To me it's not the free stuff - but that it does not add anything. It has no soul. I mean even the daily log in to feed your horse is meh, but at least that is finite and there is a feel to it.

Here - let me put it this way ... have the khajiit build a fayre with different stands. Strongman competition, shoot mudcrabs with bow and arrow etc. There, another daily quest type that I can chose to participate or not. Adds to the world and the story telling.

It's like - huh, there are some people not yet interested in crown crates, let's shove them down their throats by telling them they might get one free any day now.

I can't help it, it screams marketing. Maybe I'm just getting cynical.

Usually people want this game to stay unique. Well it's getting more and more like all the others.
      Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
    • Kiralyn2000
      Kiralyn2000
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Edit:
      I think the RPG sector of online games is declining all together. Action- or shooter based games are in demand right now. That's why most mmorpgs are more focused to keep their player base then to aquire new costumers.

Or maybe stuff like this is to acquire new customers. Think about it - most new gamers these days have grown up with mobile/etc stuff. So maybe they expect features like this in games, and ZOS is trying to meet that expectation?

Just a guess.

(honestly, being an older gamer, lots of the stuff kids & gamers are into these days just leave me blank. Battle Royale, streaming, Twitch, social media, online everything..... blah.)
    • Valkysas154
      Valkysas154
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Depends on how they do it i would prefer a more GW2 style login system since it don't reset on you if you miss a day or a year so there is no real presser to log in every day.

• Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Turelus wrote: »
      You guys worry and complain too much . When free stuff gets put up on the complaint list , it's time to unplug and go for some fresh air seriously .
      Free stuff is fine, but if you're giving it out in a "mobile like" way it kind of just makes the game feel cheesy.

If you're trying to incentives people to log in and play every day focus on making content which can be done every day and is exciting. Just logging in and out again for your daily free item (like people did with crates before the kill something requirement).

Maybe it's aimed more at console players to retain their attention between releases as others have speculated. To me is just seems too much like the "games as services or live services" thing other companies are doing right now.

Edit: Also we have daily log in rewards, they're called crafting mails.

The reason could be as simple as an executive that wants to see 'daily login numbers' increased by 'x'%
      Kendaric wrote: »
      While I'm not overly concerned over the daily login rewards, I'm concerned about the direction ESO is headed when things like login rewards and crown store gifting are advertised as main features of a base game update.

It seems to me that ZOS has lost faith in their game's capabiliy to hold players unless they give out rewards for logging in. Players shouldn't need an incentive to make it past the login screen...

Not only main features, but main features in an update that seems to be lacking in features.
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • LindsC
      LindsC
      ✭✭✭
      Personally, I'm looking forward to it. It's nice that hey are giving stuff away for free.
    • ManwithBeard9
      ManwithBeard9
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I mean, I log in everyday anyway. Now I get extra stuff. Not a big deal.