The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Daily login rewards have me scared for ESO's future

• Maryal
    Maryal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's more of a loyalty reward. I deserve a loyalty reward, I've helped countless people all across Tamriel and fought bravely in the ongoing war that rages across Cyrodiil.
    Edited by Maryal on March 30, 2018 1:16AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

Just asking: why would need anyone any rewards, if they don't even play just that 2 minutes daily? If I'm not interested in the game anymore, they can give me any reward, anytime, I won't login for those.

Just imagine someone choosing which game they will play this evening. Then they remember the daily reward and decide to fire up ESO. Now that they are in game, they decide to stay there.

There are months I don't play the game at all, but I still level horseriding for alts. I know I'll be back to play those alts at some point. No game is good enough to play all year round, but I like ESO as much as any game and have no intention to permanently leave the game at any point.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

Just asking: why would need anyone any rewards, if they don't even play just that 2 minutes daily? If I'm not interested in the game anymore, they can give me any reward, anytime, I won't login for those.

Just imagine someone choosing which game they will play this evening. Then they remember the daily reward and decide to fire up ESO. Now that they are in game, they decide to stay there.

I have to wonder how many times something like that is actually going to happen.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free stuff is free stuff. No complaints here even if it is trash.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in.

Or they could just be something nice in that ZOS gives a digital shiny out. I know for sure that these daily rewards are not the reason I would log in, nor would they incentivise me to log in if I was not going to anyway.

Besides, I see the peeps running around and playing the game, I know there are no population issues. In fact, in the past two weeks the game has gotten more crowded.

But I guess if they give something away for free, someone has to find something wrong with it.... B)

Lets be real. Its not.

If ZOS was being nice they would first not lock JC. Its a marketing move. To entice people to buy crown items, many wouldn't even know you can make better consumables so might waste money. Just like some did with vamp/ww.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...

Yep this.

The warframe devs are some of the most down too earth devs out there was as well. They've been going for quite some time now.

Warframe is actually massively successful even with this feature.

So yeah people worrying or claiming the sky is falling about this are just being overly dramatic and worrying over nothing.
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
  • Synthwavius
    Synthwavius
    ✭✭✭✭
    YAY we will get login rewards? That's cool.
    Why would you want it as daily tho? Some of us do dailies on few alts per day and just another daily would only add more boring routine instead of having more time to do other things in game.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    YAY we will get login rewards? That's cool.
    Why would you want it as daily tho? Some of us do dailies on few alts per day and just another daily would only add more boring routine instead of having more time to do other things in game.

All you need do is login...no extra effort, just...log...in. As in on your way to those other dailies or anything else you might want to do.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Maura_Neysa
    Maura_Neysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have this.
    - Hirelings
    - Enlightenment
    GIna put out a comment, this isn't Crown Crate give aways, this is a cummilative thing you get each time you log in.
    Turelus wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff.

I think the big talking points will be a crafting system behind an expansion and daily log in rewards.

Crafting system behind a pay wall is going to upset a lot of people. The P2W threads will be strong this expansion.

I love free stuff and won't complain at getting things for something I do any way but the whole "log in for your daily reward" feels very cheesy and F2P mobile game like to me.
    If the idea is to get players logging in and playing the game then surely these would have been better as incorporations into some kind of content.

Just to clear one thing up, the daily login rewards are cumulative, not consecutive. This means you aren't forced to log in every single day to get a thing, but rather, you get a thing each time you log in.

Maiden Maura - Xbox NA
    Warden Ice Tank (By far my favorite) -RIP #Nerfmire
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer(solo tanked), Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe,Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor
    Major
    Dragon Knight Healer (Since Homestead)
    Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer,
    Warden 2x Bow DPS
    Stormproof, Shehai Shatterer, Mageslayer, Ophidian Overlord, Assistant Alienist, Boethiah's Scythe, Maw of Lorkhaj Conqueror, Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor, Sunspire Saint,
    Others
    PvP StamDen, Warden Healer, MagDen, Stamplar, StamSorc, DK Failed Attempt, NB Failed Attempt

Playing BiS isn't impressive, playing unique at BiS lvl, THAT's impressive.

• WakeYourGhost
    WakeYourGhost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many games had this "alarming" system that is a sign of "Decline" since Launch.
    The idea that this is a bad sign - that is so silly.

I mean, holy hell, maybe their Crown Store prices will start to drop soon, too. They're offering things to players for loyalty to the game. Sounds great to me.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, worst of it is allready here, quite frankly login rewards should be the final nail, not the red flag.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You know what, I am more worried that gating more and more stuff behind content releases that have to be paid for or gamble crates will hurt the game. Some stuff for free doesn't seem to be that damaging, if anything it's done to appease recent greater scrutiny of gamble crates in games.
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • theslynx
    theslynx
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it doesn't end up being one of those 'streak' systems that builds to better rewards, where if you miss a day, you start out from scratch. Those always feel vaguely exploitative at worst, or uncaring about daily life at best.

Other than that, we'll see. Some systems ESO implements well, as if people familiar with the actual act of playing partake in them. Others seem to have been designed by executives in a boardroom, ignorant of the experience while eyeballing the bottom line.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GW2 has a good login system.
    Elissae wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 and Black Desert have been doing this for quite some time, and they're healthy games as far as I know.

Extra thingies for doing something I do anyway, hardly going to complain about that :)

Tera also. It has been around for 6 years, and is about to release for consoles, so I would guess they aren't doing too poorly.

GW2 has the best one I've seen so far. It never resets, so you don't have to worry about if you will get the last box in the grid (obviously the best reward), just when.
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...

fine is an understatement for that game
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagreed. Another Pessimistic Thread in the "Sea of the Ghosts" Negativity.

There is nothing to be scared off. Additional generous rewards: It reminded me on the Hobbit presents implementation from TheLord of the Rings Online. The game is going incredibly well. 11th Anniversary event incoming. Daily rewards aren't even decent

Tis a wise move from ZoS.

"Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining"

~ Incorrect . You aren't happy with the changes. An example ~ You wish to compare a little currency reward upon login with countless of hours of grinding,unlocking achievements or constant hardcore PVP duels? . Nonsense.

An example: The daily rewards are exactly the encouragement for certain individuals. Player logs in and it is rewarded with 10 Potions, fuels him to crush the opposing forces. He/she certainly log off, or maybe he will? Would that hurt future ESO?

How many players will log off upon claiming the eventual reward? 0,02% of ESO player-base , perhaps even less. Who is insane enough to log on and claim the reward and log off every day? Absolute nonsense. Perhaps 1:50,000

The game is already immensely vibrant, vivacious and alive more than any other MMO I've seen with exception of World of Warcraft. I have never felt isolated, alone or bored. The word boredom does not exist. Towns,Captial cities,Forts and Ruins,Group Dungeons Or Dolmens are crawling with determined and extraordinary players.

"I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?"

It could be interpreted in multiple ways ,logically speaking in the end, the "hurt" you mention will have almost insignificant effect. I know what I speak off, I have been playing MMO's for more than a decade.

Indeed, the generation of "gimme" players. They already exist, They existed since the dawn of gaming. However, have you asked yourself do you belong in the generation of "I am never satisfied", "greedy", "I want more and I am never happy generation"?

You ask too much, no offence. Judging by your threads you never are satisfied. No matter what they implement,produce,give or change, you carve for more or you wish it your way. I understand the desires and will to change the game, but the game cannot and shall not accommodate to the wishes of few players.

Certain souls need to fashion their own virtual realm and enjoy the perfection accommodated in their perfect fantasies and accurate views.
    Edited by Vanya on April 1, 2018 11:11AM
  • xbobx
    xbobx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many games had this "alarming" system that is a sign of "Decline" since Launch.
    The idea that this is a bad sign - that is so silly.

I mean, holy hell, maybe their Crown Store prices will start to drop soon, too. They're offering things to players for loyalty to the game. Sounds great to me.

you are so naive
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maryal wrote: »
    Maybe it's more of a loyalty reward. I deserve a loyalty reward, I've helped countless people all across Tamriel and fought bravely in the ongoing war that rages across Cyrodiil.

They said they were done with loyalty rewards back in PC once the game went B2P. I'm not sure if daily login rewards would fall into the category of "loyalty" rewards, or if ZOS would make the distinction I'm making, but my guess is that the daily login rewards will be more like crafting hirelings than growing loyalty rewards for every day you log in.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • gnarlyvandal
    gnarlyvandal
    ✭✭✭
    Population is booming with a ton of players asking for advice on learning how to play, just look in guild chat.
    This is before Summerset is even out, which is when an MMO usually sees its population boost.

Daily login rewards for doing the same thing I’m doing now, on top of the crowns zos gives me each month equivalent to the subscription price? Im pretty happy right now. I only came back to ESO was as a break after doing most of WoW’s legion content and waiting for their next expansion.
    Right now, I’m not even thinking about going back, ESO gives you a lot more for your sub and the world is a lot more entertaining. Can’t see the game dying anytime soon tbh

• chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    i am not against this but, i do think some sort of barrier or unlock should be applied...like hitting cp 160 or maybe even just level 50. or maybe just a cheesy quest. I don't know some sort of sense of earning or unlocking the content would be nice to see.
  • Sweetpea704
    Sweetpea704
    ✭✭✭✭
    You’re complaining....about getting free stuff?
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is a degree of 'snobbery' for lack of a better word, with some folks view of daily login rewards. 'Its the sign of a dying MMO' etc. Utter nonsense, it rightfully is a benefit for loyalty. Players that log in everyday should have something else chucked their way. Its sometimes a hard shift to get motivated to turn the game on and having that incentive adds a bit of variety.

I'm very critical but it absolutely is a step in the right direction. I don't like the idea of crown crates at all, however, the more that can be done to remove the necessity to purchase them the better I'll feel about that. It might be hypocritical but gambling for me ceases to be gambling when the necessity to spend money is removed. Getting 6 free crates every season for logging in coupled with a chance of a daily log in reward being a CC greatly reduces the need for players to delve into their bank account to maintain their positive experiance with the game, which absolutely tells me ZOS are to their credit trying to work within the confines of a loot crate model whilst not isolating large portions of the player base.

Big thumbs up on this one guys!
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    I am sick of claiming rewards. ZOS has been overusing rewards since launch, putting them behind every rock, but what was once merely overused mechanics has over years developed into full blown antipattern and by now rain of rewards is plain insufferable. The other day I could not even revive people in Cyro until I claimed level up reward. Is this supposed to be reward claiming game now? If not, please take your rewards and fuck off, just fuck off.

You either the Biggest Snowflake i ever saw in Game...

or you hate Christmas Allot...
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have this.
    - Hirelings
    - Enlightenment
    GIna put out a comment, this isn't Crown Crate give aways, this is a cummilative thing you get each time you log in.
    Turelus wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff.

I think the big talking points will be a crafting system behind an expansion and daily log in rewards.

Crafting system behind a pay wall is going to upset a lot of people. The P2W threads will be strong this expansion.

I love free stuff and won't complain at getting things for something I do any way but the whole "log in for your daily reward" feels very cheesy and F2P mobile game like to me.
    If the idea is to get players logging in and playing the game then surely these would have been better as incorporations into some kind of content.

Just to clear one thing up, the daily login rewards are cumulative, not consecutive. This means you aren't forced to log in every single day to get a thing, but rather, you get a thing each time you log in.

That's why I like GW2 daily login. I'm a few days away from the final reward, and it's been that way for weeks now.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I personally think it's a silly concept. If some people like the idea, than I hope they enjoy it when it launches.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am fine with a log in reward although I do think it makes the game look and feel cheesy (this is a big name MMO not a F2P game)

I don't like the way it's done so far if I am honest, the whole log in a number of times to unlock progressively better rewards. Would much rather it just be log in get a roll on an item, now special rare or unique items.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder how many times something like that is actually going to happen.

Having been in the MMO world for decades on either sides of the fence, almost never. There is infact proof somewhere even from a few years back. Some dreary boring peer reviewed article on the decline of MMO gaming in general (vs newer forms like MOBA). Finding it now via google search might be a pain though sadly.

If your game has 'weight' it will draw plenty of people in without needing a carrot on a stick. Thats the literal reality. There have been games (f2p) in the past that have offered people currency rewards for subscription and it didn't noticeably increase membership. People support and will continue to; games which they think are fun and worthwhile 'prior' to being carrot sticked. Its not always the case sure (a minor demographic of addicts and people who are unemployed with dads credit card/burn money pointlessly) but on average - people stay where they are happy. Something which requires a global/overall enjoyment of a product and a perceived 'worth' in investment. Little more than that.
    Edited by RainfeatherUK on May 1, 2018 9:19AM
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to understand why they didn't have login rewards to begin with, GW2/Warframe/Smite etc. always had *** like that. It's really not a big deal and everyone overreacting on this thread about it doesn't know anything about the MP game market
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most every MMO out there has login rewards, and have had since start (BDO, Wildstar, Warframe - just to name a few). So the idea itself I see no problem with. If anything, it may give an incentive for some people to play more. It definitely doesn't mean the game is dying.

Just look at the new leveling up system (where you get bonus items for just leveling up your char from 1 to 50), where you also get consumables, items, mounts, and other things that may be considered by some "pay2win". I have yet to actually feel any ramifications of this - so I highly doubt you will actually be able to feel the daily login rewards.

ESO has the very unique advantage that you can craft your way to anything (be it gear, potions, exp boosts, etc.), and that they have made sure that all costumes and mounts are purely cosmetic skins - unlike games like BDO, where you can get quite an "unfair" advantage by buying boosted skins with real money.

And finally, as for the currency. IMO in-game currency would be best, although I wouldn't mind people being able to get a tiny Crown reward either. But again, they are already doing this in the new leveling system, where at certain level milestones you get a nice little pile of gold. And again, I have yet to feel any real consequences of this. If anything, I would like for the more casual non-grindy player to get some more gold, so they can buy more of my stuff from Guild Traders :lol:

TL:DR -- It is always a tense wait when something big like this is going to be added, and the forums will always be flooded with conspiracy theories and worst case scenarios. I for one, see no issues or anything majorly "game changing".
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP is sadly correct. Daily login rewards are a clear sign of problems retaining players. If you check the roesters of non trading guilds you will probably find at least a third of the people did not login i nthe last month.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.