From the reaches of Aetherius, to the mortal realm Mundus, comes that which we call magicka. Magicka is the invisible force that holds together the land of Tamriel; the land which we all hold so dear. The threads of magicka flow, charge, and breathe throughout all of Nirn. It is what draws us to Tamriel, lets us explore it, and gives us the strength to in it survive - or even thrive. One looks to the High Elves in the starry fields of Summerset, and sees them channeling light in their ancestors’ names. One looks to Skyrim and its bitter cold, and sees the heroic Nords combating mythical beasts in their lairs. One looks to the windy deserts of Hammerfell, and sees a Redguard scout reactivate age old dwemer construct. Just as the living machines of the Dwemer would not be as they are without the power of magicka, the beasts of Skyrim are sustained by it. Indeed, the elves of Summerset – and every last one of us – are as well. All of these things would not be possible without the force of magicka, and it is in honor of that magical essence - and the world it brings us - that we name our guild.
Magicka was one of the very first guilds in the Elder Scrolls Online, created during the early days of the PC beta. Magicka was then founded in the full PC release under the leadership of @Marginis
. At console release, Magicka expanded beyond PC to console, formed on Xbox One by that very same Marginis
. Originally ESO's premier PC roleplaying guild, Magicka now stands as one of ESO's most popular and longest running guilds on Xbox, striving to hold true to the tradition set by our first members and be the best place for ESO roleplaying on console.
Magicka exists as a haven for all sorts of adventurers, to assist them in all sorts of ways. Our aim on console, just like it was on PC, is to provide players the support they need to have fun with the game, whether they want to try RP for the first time, are an old hand at RP and want to try it in a new setting, or just want to see what Magicka (or RP) is all about. We delve dungeons, war in Cyrodiil (we primarily fight for the Aldmeri Dominion faction in PVP), and sometimes just hang out around the guildhall and chat. This said, we do exist primarily as an RP guild, so the main thing we do is RP.
For those that do not know what RP, or roleplaying
, is: For ESO, it basically means that while you are in-game, you play as though you are
your character. You are no longer a gamer playing E-S-O. Instead, you are Tskune the Great, high warrior of the land, adventuring across the expanses of Tamriel! In other words, you do not look at the game in terms of it being a game, with skill trees, stats, and levels, but you look at it as a real world like our own ...with the exception of having magic and talking cat people. As your character, you do not have skills on an ability bar - you might simply have the use of certain magicks. Instead of having a certain level, you might think of yourself as being particularly skilled (or unskilled) at a craft or combat style. When speaking or acting in-game too, you play as though you are your character. This could mean speaking with a hiss as an Argonian or referring to yourself as "this one" as a Khajiit. It could also mean a different personality or quirk to the way you act, anywhere from being as grim and serious as a hardened mercenary to dressing up in a chef outfit and serving everyone sweetrolls at gatherings. The only limits are your imagination (and adherence to guild rules, obviously). For some, this kind of thing comes naturally. Others take time to learn it. Regardless, RP allows all of us to much more fully immerse ourselves in the world of the Elder Scrolls Online, and because of that, we enjoy playing ESO in a way non-roleplayers never will. This is what our guild is all about.
Speaking of roleplay, Magicka being an RP guild, we encourage our members to be IC (in-character) in most guild settings. While we do not require RP all the time, and we are quite understanding of new RPers or players with limited English, Magicka strongly encourages staying in-character, at least when in guild chat or at guild events. If speaking OOC (out-of-character), use an OOC voice chat channel or use brackets [ ] (or something similar) to denote that you are speaking OOC. Tamriel is a rich world full of many wondrous things - you would not want to ruin the immersion by talking about frame drops and the PVP metagame, would you? If you have trouble or are new to roleplay in Elder Scrolls Online, or on console, however, do not worry. There are plenty of Magicka guildmates more than willing to help you learn the ropes. Additionally, while old hands at RP are a welcome addition to the guild, please remember that Magicka has its own quirks, so even if one is a roleplay veteran, they may need to adjust accordingly.
RP aside, Magicka is and always has been a teamwork driven community, with veterans helping fresh-faced recruits, Dunmer fighting side by side with Khajiit, and bards entertaining even the most mirthless warriors. And although Magicka is based in the Aldmeri Dominion - where the magicka flows strongest - we welcome with open arms all races and all alliances: warriors, mages, rogues, and wanderers alike – yes, even Argonians. This applies equally to the players behind the characters. We are based on the NA servers (sorry EU players), but we gladly host players from all across the world, from Russia to Australia to the US to the UK. It does not matter if you are young or old, black or white, gay or straight, casual or hardcore, really into Harry Potter
or more of a Twilight
fan, Magicka will gladly welcome you into our family (but we still reserve the right to silently judge you for being a Twilight
It should also be mentioned that while Magicka does not have any requirements or regulations regarding such, our guild color is blue, and we use the symbol
as our guild emblem when the option is present.
The guild rules are simple, and can be good guiding principles in most circumstances - even when in Tamriel outside the Magicka community. Like the threads of magicka that flow through Tamriel, they can be equally separated into individual elements, but once together, come to be as strong as the invisible tethers binding Aetherius to Nirn.
- Storm - Follow guild rules, Elder Scrolls Online terms, Xbox Live policies, and real world laws. If you support anything against guild rules, Elder Scrolls Online terms, Xbox Live policies, or real world laws, do not promote it within the Magicka.
- Frost - Magicka is a friendly guild, to all players, so be respectful of other people’s viewpoints and be mindful that you don’t start anything that could be construed as harassment. In Magicka, we treat each other with respect and kindness. No exceptions. While one need not always be mature, one must always be respectful.
- Flame - While Magicka does not have any requirements regarding activity, failure to appear online in-game on the guild roster, for one year or more, may result in the guildmember getting removed from the guild. If you know in advance you are going on extended hiatus, or do not wish to appear online in the guild roster, for any reason, and would not like to be marked for removal - simply let a guild officer know. A note will be placed next to your guild title, and you will be notified before being put at risk of removal for inactivity.
These only cover the basics. For anything else, the Guildmaster and guild officers’ say is to be treated as official guild rule. If there is any question whether something is against the rules or not, do not hesitate to ask a guild officer.
Failure to follow the rules set here can result in demotion, exile from Magicka, exile from the guidlhall, or a warning, of which there may be only one. Magicka can be a powerful blast, a gentle breeze, or a flowing river, but one must stay focused when harnessing its power, or the backlash can prove fatal.
Magicka, being a roleplay guild, also has rules dedicated to RP. As above, they can be separated into the great elements of the schools of magic.
- Storm - Guild text chat (/g#), group text chat (/g), yell text (/y), emote text chat (/me), whisper text chat (/tell), and say text chat (/s) should all be IC when interacting with the guild unless noted with brackets [ ]. Zone text chat (/z) is not specifically IC or OOC. Guild voice chat channel 1 is OOC. Guild voice chat 2 is IC. Any other voice chat is not specifically IC or OOC unless noted by the chat leader. Officers chat (text and voice chat) is OOC. If the chat is IC, please stay in-character. If OOC, respect the choice of others to not speak in-character (although one may still choose to speak in-character - we would never say no to more RP).
For those of you that prefer a tl;dr version: try to stay in-character by default and use brackets [ ] to denote out-of-character speech, but never be afraid to ask for help, in-character or not.
- Frost - Be aware of microphone etiquette. If your microphone is disruptive and you are in voice chat, mute it or change your settings so it is not. If your mic is disruptive, or if you do not wish to speak IC in an IC voice chat, there is nothing wrong with muting your mic and just being along for the ride or RPing in another manner. Do not try to voice RP at a text-only RP event, just as one would not try to text RP at a purely voice RP event. Just because you can enjoy voice chat does not mean everyone else in the guild wants or is able to (the same goes for text chat). And if you have questions, ask. Ice trolls are disruptive, ignorant creatures. Do not be an ice troll.
- Flame - Keep in mind roleplay-specific etiquette. There is a lot to unpack in that statement, but if you have any questions, as always, ask. Your guildmates are able to help. Here are some prominent examples: Keep text chat and voice chat conversations separate, and character identities separate from player identities. Introducing overt sexual content into the guild is prohibited. Keep said content private. Magicka is an RP guild, not an ERP (erotic roleplay) guild. Do not powergame. This means that while edgy characters are okay, understand that going as far as RPing "overpowered" Mary Sue-style characters make RP less fun for everybody, so do not do that.
As before, the guildmaster's and guild officers’ say is to be treated as official guild rule for anything not mentioned here. There are many etiquettes and norms which guildmembers are expected to know and respect. Some of these norms are common, some might be ESO/Magicka-specific, but they should all also be treated as rules in addition to the listed ones above, and will be dictated by guild officers as situations arise. If there is any question as to whether something is appropriate RP-wise (or otherwise), a guild officer (or maybe just another guildmate) will let you know.
Failure to follow these rules can also result in demotion, exile from Magicka, exile from the guildhall, or a warning, of which there may be only one. The crippling strength of the elder scrolls does not fade, because like our guild, the scrolls' strength comes from the same massive source that binds the Void. Push magicka too far, and you will be forevermore blind to the world's wonders (quite literally, in the case of the scrolls).
Ranking in Magicka, like the rules, is fairly simple. Ranks denote what a member's job is within the guild, and corresponding to that, what permissions they have available.
- Newcomer - A new member of the Magicka! These members have limited permissions, but are only set to this rank until an officer with the appropriate permissions can rank them up. If this process takes too long, the Newcomer should let a guild officer know!
- Seeker - A full member of Magicka. Seekers are the normal members of Magicka, so do not have any special permissions specific to them, but be proud to be a Seeker, for Magicka is a great ally to have at your side. "Seeker" is also the name applied to all of Magicka's members and officers as far as our guild story is concerned, originating from Magicka's purpose - to help its members find whatever they are seeking. Everyone is seeking something after all.
- Recruiter - These members have the ability to invite new members to Magicka. By taking on this role, they also take on the responsibility of being someone to contact for joining the guild or getting more information. Recruiters are Magicka's ambassadors, representing the guild wherever they go and welcoming any who wish to join into our ranks, getting them acclimated and comfortable in their new home.
- Crafter - These members have access to the guild bank solely for purposes of crafting things for guildmembers and the guildhall. These members are the ones who go out of their way to make sure other Seekers are well equipped, and will apprentice aspiring guild crafters, helping them improve their skills with intricate gear from the guild bank and with crafting expertise.
- Director - These members have the ability to modify the message of the day. Because of this, they are the ones who set guild events regularly, and help others organize or host guild events. There are rules to setting the message of the day, so if a member is this rank they must not delete still relevant info or the formatting codes in the MotD. If there are any questions about this, the Director should ask the guildmaster for more information, or can simply disregard the MotD entirely!
- Banker - These are the first of the guild officers. Bankers keep track of all the goings-on of Magicka - namely bank and trader transactions. Bankers control the guild resources for guild events, and oversee everything in the guild history tab, in addition to having all the base officer permissions.
- Vicar - These officers are the administrators of Magicka. They take care of the day-to-day maintenance tasks of the guild, like accepting new members from the recruitment tab and setting guild titles. Their responsibilities include logging on often enough to accept applications for new members, ranking new members, and updating guild titles, as well as helping out wherever else they may be needed when they log on. Vicars may not have the most glamorous role, but they are the lifeblood of Magicka.
- Watcher - These officers have the power to demote members if they break the rules or abuse their rank. Because of its importance, this is the Watchers' sole responsibility. Officers should usually be the most active people in the guild, but Watchers especially so, to keep a close eye on everything.
- Keeper - These guild officers are the most trusted Magicka members, and so are the equivalent of deputy guildmasters. There is no specific role this rank fulfills other than acting as the interim guildmaster in his absence. Their only responsibility, therefore, is to use their power wisely. "Keeper" was the name given to Magicka's first officers - those who keep Magicka on the right path - and this rank inherits that special name. Because of that, this rank is earned only from the guildmaster directly.
- Founder - This rank denotes the guildmaster of Magicka. Founder Kha'jiri may be a bit fluffier than your average guildmaster, but he does the job well enough. Just as important, any member of Magicka, new or old, is always welcome to come to the guildmaster with any question they have - so long as they do not mind waiting until he is done napping and/or chasing butterflies.
All of the colored ranks in Magicka are guild officers, and collectively, the guild council.
Magicka sometimes holds guild meetings and guild votes. Guild meetings are only for the guild council unless otherwise noted, and are to be used strictly for guild business, such as planning big events, discussing members, deciding if we should try for a guild trader, etcetera. The proceedings are led, directed, and moderated by the Founder or the most senior ranking officer present. While guild meetings are able to be held without the Founder present, guild votes may only take place with the Founder present or with his explicit approval. All guild officers have an equal voice at these guild meetings, and each officer has one vote, which is worth the same as any other vote. Guild votes are only to take place at guild meetings. Only guild officers may vote, unless otherwise noted. Absentee ballots are counted, but only when sent to the Founder himself, and are only counted when sent before or at the time of the vote unless otherwise noted. At the time of the guild vote each officer has the choice to vote or abstain from voting. Once a vote is cast, it cannot be taken back. In the case of a tie, the Founder's vote decides the result. In the case of a tie where the Founder abstained from voting, the Founder must cast their ballot in a way that decides the outcome.
Guild officers have special channels of communication in-game and elsewhere. These channels are only to be used for sensitive guild business as in guild meetings. Seeing as the material discussed may be sensitive, it should not be spread around outside these officer channels, breaking of this rule is cause for a warning at least and blacklisting the officer at most.
Being a guild officer demands respect, but as a wise khajiit (at least, this one recalls that it was a khajiit) once said, "With great power comes great responsibility".
If you feel you are able to fill the sabatons of one of Magicka’s higher ranks, there are three things you will want to do.
- Storm - Recruit new members. Magicka is always looking for new blood (blood rituals every Tuesday).
- Frost - Be active and involved in the guild. Nobody likes a lazytail.
- Flame - Contribute to the betterment of Magicka and its members. Everyone does this in their own way, some by promoting the guild to others, some by helping the newbies. Find your own way and you’ll gain the respect of fellow members even before you rank up.
Anyone who leaves Magicka outside special circumstances (discussed beforehand with a guild officer) forfeits their rank. Should they rejoin, they must start again as any new initiate would.
Like ranks, each member receives a title within the guild. These are put in the member's guild note in the guild roster. Some members are given titles for fun, and some are given titles to reflect a role or achievement they have. If you want your title changed or want to be given a specific one, all you must do is be in good standing with the guild and request it from the Founder or a Vicar. The titles themselves may just be for show, but other information may be included in the guild note as well - for example, title colors are used for a sub-ranking system and have specific uses:
- No Color - Means nothing special. Do something special to get a title color. If you want.
- Blue - Means that this guildmember is special and met the guild Founder. Wait... you found him where?
- Yellow - Means that this guildmember has hosted or created an open guild-wide event.
- White - Means that this guildmember has (a) connection(s) to other notable guilds, and act as ambassadors of sorts between those guilds and Magicka. If one has this title color, the guild(s) will be added to their guild note.
- Magenta - Means that this is a personal friend of the Founder from outside ESO. Treat this guildmember with respect. Or don't, they're not that special.
- Black - Means that this member is flagged for removal from the guild for inactivity. If only part of this guildmember's title is black, it is relevant to their activity, like the last time they were noted as active. To get rid of this title color, notify a Vicar or the Founder or set your status in the guild roster to online.
- Green - Means that this member is a guild officer. Need something? Bother them with it instead of harassing your pet. Yes, your pet can understand you, and yes, they get tired of hearing you complain about Nirnroot prices all the time.
- Red - Means that this is Kha'jiri - you know, the cat that founded Magicka.
- Cyan - Means that this was one of the founding Keepers of Magicka. These players will never be kicked from the guild for inactivity or have their title color changed.
Events in Magicka are held by any member who wants to hold one. There are big events held by Magicka every now and then, but most are just unofficial events, set up on the fly by members wanting to do something who then simply ask if anyone wants to join them. If you want to let the rest of the guild know about an event you want to hold, and put it in the Message of the Day, give a Director the location, time, and a short description about it, and they will post it for you. Importantly, all guild RP events will occur with the expectation that text chat will be used, and any events where voice chat will be used will have that expectation noted. And remember to join guild chat if you want to participate in an event or set one up! It is much easier to group up with your guildmates when you can chat with them. Here are some of the events Magicka has put on in the past, and may hold again:
- Kha'jiri's Storytime - The first regularly occurring event in Magicka, affectionately named Kha'jiri's Storytime by the first attending members, everyone meets up somewhere in Tamriel to share stories of their adventures and exploits. This is a chance for newcomers to hear about the history of Magicka and how it began, for new RPers to develop their backstories, and for everyone to have a good time doing something outside of their daily grind. Everyone has a story to tell, this is a chance to tell one of yours.
- Landmark Celebration - When the guild reaches a new landmark, whether it is a certain number of members or some special recognition, we pick a time to gather somewhere in Tamriel and take on an anchor or world boss. In between bouts of fighting daedra, we can all take a breather and RP or find a nearby dungeon to crawl, and if possible, recruit a few passerby into the guild and our celebration.
- Storyline Event - Magicka is a storied guild with a long history, interwoven with the tales of its members and the timeline of Tamriel. The story, however, is not over yet! There will be times where members of the guild come together to weave together new stories to incorporated into Magicka's lore. Each event will be different, but each event will have a plotline and an impact on the guild. Any storyline event must be officially sanctioned by the Guildmaster or Founder, and will be posted with more advance notice than normal.
- Fashion Show - The true ESO endgame content: fashion. What better contest than to be judged by a panel based solely on appearance? Walk the catwalk, show off your moves, and be judged in several categories for a chance to win some prizes. Who knows - you might even impress the guild's resident fashion experts.
- Murder Mystery - Someone has been murdered! A mystery set up by the event holder, the goal is to work together (or against each other) to try and figure out whodunnit. It could be anyone, so trust no one.
- Festivity Festival - When the spirit of festivity is in the air, Magicka likes to get together and hold a ball, gala, party, or... something of the sort. Whatever you might call it, it is a way to relax from the combat oriented dungeoneering, strategizing of PVP, or number crunching of trading. Be sure to bring a fancy outfit or two, hotbar your emotes, and pay attention to the theme! If it is a costume party, bring a costume. Masquerade ball - wear a mask. Winter festival - dress warm!
- Scouting Mission - While Magicka tends to extricate itself from matters regarding the alliance war, there are times when Cyrodiil beckons. Whether for skyshard hunting, exploring the vast expanse in the middle of the continent, or begrudgingly involving ourselves in alliance matters, Magicka, like many guilds, answers the call of Cyrodiil. Make sure to be on a character of the determined alliance (alliance will be noted in the event posting) and bring your best gear (guildmates may be able to help you with this if you need assistance).
Magicka has had several guildhalls over time. First, there was Magicka Keep (Ebonheart Chateau) in Morrowind, a temporary place until Kha'jiri found "Mnemoli Ruins" (Earthtear Cavern). This was Magicka's home, but due to a cave-in, the guildhall had to be moved through several locations - a secluded witch's hut, an ancient Orsimer castle, a lavish Imperial estate - until Kha'jiri was offered an old Dark Brotherhood sanctuary as a gift from an old acquaintance. While at times a bit eerie, it has proven a most capable residence for Magicka's members. What we simply call "The Sanctuary" is accessible to all guildmembers just about any time, and any visitors may use its services for free. To get there, simply select the Founder in the guild roster, then choose "travel to primary residence". If The Sanctuary is ever unavailable via this method, it is safe to assume that it is undergoing significant renovations, or the Founder is using another residence as his primary residence for a guild event, and the Sanctuary will be reopened in due time. If you wish to donate furnishings or schematics to the guildhall, simply send them to the Founder personally or deposit them into the guild bank, and if you have any suggestions regarding the guildhall, let a guild officer know and they will pass the word along.
Magicka, like all guilds of its stature, has a guild store. While Magicka is not a trading guild, our guild store can be helpful in buying or selling useful items with other guildmembers - especially items useful for RP - as well as buying our guild tabard. While not often, there are times when we may try to acquire a guild trader (it is usually Ambarys Teran in Reaper's March). The guild store can be accessed via any banker other than assistants, any guild merchant that Magicka has hired, if one has been hired, and any Cyrodiil trader, if one has been enlisted.
Magicka's guild bank is the place for any and all guild supplies (and guild supplies exclusively). If you have any items to donate to the guild, or items/gold to submit for a guild event (as will be noted for appropriate events), deposit them into the guild bank, accessible from any banker in Tamriel (outside of, again, assistants). The guild bank is only able to be accessed by certain guildmembers, but regardless, anything within will be used exclusively for Magicka and the benefit of its guildmembers.
- Furnishing supplies will only be used for furnishing the guildhall.
- Crafting related items will be used to supply guild crafters in order to craft items for guildmembers.
- PVP items will be used for guild ventures into Cyrodiil.
- Gold and gold from sold items will go toward efforts to secure a guild trader or will be used for official guild events.
Over time, helpful additions that assist with being in Magicka, or just ESO in general, come up, usually suggested by fellow guildmembers.
First are a few places to look for information, incredibly helpful to newcomers to the Elder Scrolls universe or even those just looking for a refresher.
Here are all the places you can find postings for Magicka, although do keep in mind the only one that will always be up to date is the one on the ESO forums (this one). Any place not listed here is not affiliated in any way with Magicka, no exceptions.
- @Sethuber, for being the first member of, and one of the founding keepers of Magicka
- @Duskwood0585, for helping establish Magicka's RP and for being one of the founding keepers of Magicka
- @Sleekorr, for leading Magicka on PC and for being one of the founding keepers of Magicka
- @Wingsltd, for taking a lead role in the community development of Magicka
- Razum Dar for being the founding member on xbox with the best name
- MammothOgr3 for being a founding guardian of Magicka on xbox
- DiscountBleach for being a founding guardian of Magicka on xbox
- DeADxRaNGeR for taking lead of Magicka's PVP and being a founding guardian of Magicka on xbox
- TidiestBeef461 for being a founding guardian of Magicka on xbox
- RMusick81 for being a founding guardian of Magicka on xbox
- xI G4TEK33PR Ix for being a founding guardian of Magicka on xbox
Magicka, being the popular guild that it is, has also been allied with other guilds throughout its lifetime. If you lead a guild and you want to ally with Magicka, send the guildmaster a message over Xbox Live, making sure to note your guild's name and if you have a website or forum thread dedicated to your guild, and we will be in touch. Guilds currently allied with Magicka on Xbox One will be listed here.
To join Magicka, or if you have a question about it not answered here, send a message to the guildmaster or another member over Xbox Live, and we will get back to you as soon as we have the chance, with an invite or an answer! No need for a complicated application process here; as long as you abide by the rules and have fun, you are welcome among us.
Here are some guildmembers' gamertags one can message in regards to recruitment (if you want to be on the list, let the Founder know!):