The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Daily login rewards have me scared for ESO's future

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re complaining....about getting free stuff?

Would you rather work hard for your salary or do completely nothing and get money for being unemployed? Which of these would give more satisfaction? I'd say hard work, because getting money for nothing makes you lazy and even more demanding.
    Free stuff works against pleasure of getting things from hard work. Easy stuff are generally not respected or priced.
    So I also complain for the free stuff. The example of bad direction of the game is the levelling system, to give precious items for just levelling low lvl toons. 6k gold reward or free crown respec scrolls just for reaching a certain level. You would reach this way or another, so why rewarding for such ordinary things?
    And now daily rewards for just logging in to the game. This gets far worse than with the leveling system.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOTRO has had Hobbit Presents for a couple of years now and they're doing fine. Sheesh. It's just a new feature to throw some candy at us. It's not going to make you fat IRL, I promise.
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great.

More poisons and potions that are character-bound.

Maybe a Horse-stamina scroll...
    ... a ...a ... lip-tint?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP is sadly correct. Daily login rewards are a clear sign of problems retaining players. If you check the roesters of non trading guilds you will probably find at least a third of the people did not login i nthe last month.
    They've said years ago though that their player base largely buys content, consumes it then steps away until the next release.
    Personally I don't think a log in, claim, log out reward is helpful in retaining players. I mean if I don't want to play ESO I am not going to play, just log in, get reward, log out.

It's exactly how I did it in other games I wasn't interested in playing that evening.
    Minyassa wrote: »
    LOTRO has had Hobbit Presents for a couple of years now and they're doing fine. Sheesh. It's just a new feature to throw some candy at us. It's not going to make you fat IRL, I promise.
    If it was a new system to give candy they wouldn't do it in a way which required X number of log-ins per month to qualify to the best items. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is a charitable gift for the benefit of the customer. If it was there would be other ways of doing it, like just mailing us crates and mounts monthly.
    Edited by Turelus on May 1, 2018 10:06AM
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    Warframe has the exact same log-in reward system and it's doing just fine...

does warframe have a community often yelling at the devs and threatening of quitting if thing doesn't get fixed? its my understanding the warframe is quite listening to player feedback and the general population is happy with balancing and also is free

You do confuse something here.

On this ESO forum there is maybe 1% of the whole ESO community. And of that 1% about 90% are only whiners and QQers interested only in their special needs and not worried about the general health of the game.
    Edited by Alcast on May 1, 2018 10:27AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    ''If anything, I would like for the more casual non-grindy player to get some more gold''

Hahaha oh please. This is 'gold' in itself. If ESO was anymore casual, ZoS would be needing to hire out people to play the game for you. Snoozefest barely covers the difficulty, in comparison to the golden age of MMO's. Particularly so named because they required something known as effort. A shocking word that few today have even heard of.

There was a time when value was attributed to cost of achievement. And that wasn't financial cost as it is now, one gifted to people who think the world owes them something because they freely decided to be elsewhere; but an actual cost in time and effort.

That created a clear divide between those caring enough about the thing they are engaged in to become proficient and geared. vs those who weren't so inclined; and thus justifiably and fairly far behind.

As became typical in the liberal masses, the counter to this was to exaggerate. ''Oh its all right for you hardcores because you have no life, play all day and abuse mummies credit card''. Ad hominem always abounds when peoples arguments have the logical solidarity of a caster sugar jet ski; but hell I can grope at my disdain for liberal culture elsewhere.

What 'free items and log in rewards' are to a game, can depend on many factors. To a reasonable observer we can simplify it however.

Clearly they are whats known as an 'incentive'. You know, to 'log in'.

This implies that without said incentive (which was missing in the past) that people were lacking this.

Did they feel the need to impart rewards because they are common place in other games? Possibly. As I mentioned they are also a feature of a different model of game (free to play) from the get go.

However since they didnt formally exist here. Its reasonable to say that we don't actually know why they were implemented (we dont possess dev metrics and earnings - please post them if you do ofcourse) and therefore to look at personal experience (i.e dead trade guilds) becomes relevant/fair admissible evidence. Providing enough people concur with that experience of course.

I believe that ZoS struggles with retention because their game is almost devoid of effort outside a few targeted challenges. FFXIV (my other mmo) avoids this by including grind. Granted many avoid it for that reason - but it does add lengthy achievement goals (regardless of whether you like the form or not) and nobody can deny that.

You can certainly grind in ESO but with its un-engaging combat (when spammed to much in the effortless overworld); its not hard to see why the game might need a bump in getting people to stay.

There is far too much of the 'i deserve free stuff' in this game. This isn't pay to play anymore. So you don't get it. Thats what most of you all wanted; now deal with it. Content drought vs keeping people playing and upkeeping costs is hard outside of a p2p model. Why on earth do you think Naoki Yoshida sticks with it.
    Edited by RainfeatherUK on May 1, 2018 11:27AM
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can’t believe people are arguing against getting free stuff. Like why? Crown crates and that whole deal are here to stay—with caveats and restrictions surely to come with government regulations. I don’t see the issue. And if we’re worried about ‘slippery slope’, we’re already way downhill since Radiant Apex mounts.

Enjoy the ride!
    Edited by Peekachu99 on May 1, 2018 12:00PM
  • Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are afraid of something in a video game that video game should be the least of your worries.
  • teiselaise
    teiselaise
    ✭✭✭
    Eso already have login rewards... Besides that, it's the normal course for almost any mmorpg to develop into a f2p game, login rewards are a stable in f2p for a reason, I'm no psycho game mathematician but I think it's because the first impression is important in f2p so devs want to try and welcome players as much as they can, bdo for an example uses login rewards as a catch up mechanic, they got a special "login tree" for new players or old players who haven't logged in in 50 days+, that player will also be able to use the other "login trees".
    I'd not be too worried about this, but well, as I said, I'm no psycho game mathematician.
    Argonian masterrace
  • brimstone74
    brimstone74
    ✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    Arobain wrote: »
    um lol da ***, gw2 has login rewards and i hear no complaints about that game

Gw2 also has no trinity system which blew off alot of rpgers

As an rpger, the trinity has zero to do with rpgs. It's an mmoxxxx construct. Gw2 actually has always had a loose trinity btw, it's always had one. It did get firmed up in heart of thorns when they added raids.
    It's Mundumental!
  • Yzalirk
    Yzalirk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not see the problem here. Since when do people complain about free stuff? Especially those dreaded crates... unless you like to throw some dosh ZOS’s way for certified disappointment.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jesus people whine about the stupidest things.. Heaps of mmo's give login rewards.. GW2 been doing it for years..
    Edited by DanteYoda on May 1, 2018 12:40PM
  • SolidusPrime
    SolidusPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be honest it worried me when I saw it too. Every game that I can think of that does this has a sagging player base and feels dead. It doesn't feel dead yet, but it worries me for sure.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    The OP is sadly correct. Daily login rewards are a clear sign of problems retaining players. If you check the roesters of non trading guilds you will probably find at least a third of the people did not login i nthe last month.
    They've said years ago though that their player base largely buys content, consumes it then steps away until the next release.
    Personally I don't think a log in, claim, log out reward is helpful in retaining players. I mean if I don't want to play ESO I am not going to play, just log in, get reward, log out.

It's exactly how I did it in other games I wasn't interested in playing that evening.
    Minyassa wrote: »
    If it was a new system to give candy they wouldn't do it in a way which required X number of log-ins per month to qualify to the best items. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is a charitable gift for the benefit of the customer. If it was there would be other ways of doing it, like just mailing us crates and mounts monthly.

The players logging on, getting content, then logging off, I think is largely a result of this push to retain players for the sake of retaining them. It might seem counterintuitive at first, but if you push me to play the game more I want to play it less. If you aren't forced to play it like a job, it's more fun. If you don't have to log on daily, you can have a chance to rest, then you don't get burnt out. WITH the push to log on all the time it just becomes tedium, and even for those who enjoy the game, and know they enjoy it, they don't want to play the game because it's tedius. I don't know if I speak for many, but I know I speak for myself when I say this, and there are at least some others that this happens to as well.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    should focus more on the competition. There's plenty of activities but none make players compete with eachother. Leaderboards for various activities should be a thing. In Cryodill for example is just a grind leaderboard, not kills or damage dealt or damage absorbed or such.
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • GalacticOffender
    I see no point in starting new thread just to say that the daily login reward is stupid imho and that I login for immersion not for free crap! If I pay the sub will that and the crown store popup go away? Will you sell me a coin for that purpose? That I would buy. Or sub bu the week coin! I logged back in after 6 months cause I want to play the story. Not for more free crap!
  • LifenLemons
    LifenLemons
    ✭✭✭
    Aliyavana wrote: »
    "With Update 18, we're introducing daily login rewards. With this new feature, when you log into the game you'll be able to claim a special gift. These gifts could include consumables, currencies, special collectibles, and even Crown Crates! With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day."

Edit:please keep it crown only items, cosmetics, etc, no currency should be a reward for simply logging in

Daily login rewards are often the sign of a game declining and so many games that are starting to die often implement these items as incentives to logging in. I know its unture at least from what ive seen in eso pc na population but this might breed a "gimmie" generation of eso players. If one could login and get instant gratification why do anything else at all?

"With daily login rewards, you'll have even more reasons to visit Tamriel each and every day." Why not have players who want to claim these rewards do them by doing one daily quest a day? If your goal is to encourage players to play the game please lock these rewards behind a guaranteed drop off the first daily someone does. So you will see players of all sides (pve,pvp) doing dailies (pledges, pvp dailies, writs) for these login rewards and make the game more vibrant and alive and they can stick around longer than the 2 minutes it take to log in and log back off for the rewards.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/26347?Summerset-and-Update-18-Preview

If they had one of the daily gifts as a stash of coins, like 1million, I'd trade all the other logins for that lol
    Occasional Online Opinionated Flyby Conversationalist // Part Time Coffee Addict // Hobosapien // Casual Gamer // SAST