Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Pet Health Regeneration is still bugged since PTS and yet to even be acknowledged

• Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, apologies for the delay. We got some answers tracked down for you and this is, actually, intended behavior. There were some changes for pets that went in back on the PTS, and unfortunately the patch notes for the changes were missed. Here are the things we changed and what is currently live:
    • Removed passive healing from summoned pets.
    • Increased a pet's damage reduction to radius attacks to 85% from 75%. This bonus applies to all attacks in Trials.
    • Clannfear pets no longer taunt enemies in Trials.

Why was passive healing removed? When it doesn't survive mechanical fights in such places vmol or hrc star fall. This doesn't make sense. Not to mention the summon time is still 1.5 secs. Could we get some developer notes on this? Lastly I hope it's a mistake and you meant scamp and not Clannfear because design wise it was suppose to be a tank pet. I would assume this could of lead light amour tanks, frost tanks, but it seems like Clannfear is broken.

@ZOS_GinaBruno; @wrobel
    Edited by Tasear on June 2, 2017 6:45AM
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, apologies for the delay. We got some answers tracked down for you and this is, actually, intended behavior. There were some changes for pets that went in back on the PTS, and unfortunately the patch notes for the changes were missed. Here are the things we changed and what is currently live:
    • Increased a pet's damage reduction to radius attacks to 85% from 75%. This bonus applies to all attacks in Trials.

Thanks for clarifying that the behaviors were intentionally removed.
    Why is the tanking summon not allowed to tank? Were there mechanics designed without them in mind that otherwise break?
    Why are summons immune to out-of-combat health regen? Player characters get after-combat regen.
    What player behaviors are these changes meant to curtail? Were summons deemed to have too permanent of a combat presence?
    Edited by Erraln on June 2, 2017 6:51AM
  • Ostaradoe
    Ostaradoe
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »

If that's the case why is there no out of combat regen? That doesn't make any sense.

And how about giving them a health bar by default instead of having it buried under an optional setting that defaults to "off" that doesn't even mention pets and instead just says the generic "friendly NPC"?

Don't you think that a change that forces pets to be actively healed, even out of combat, should provide a default indication that they need it?

I see thousands of pets in the game in cities with just a sliver of a health bar only because I know what setting to use to be able to see it. All those players are running around oblivious to the fact that their pets will die almost immediately as soon as they go into their next fight for no reason that they can figure out.

If you want us to micro-manage pets, give us the tools to do it by default.

I didn't even know that option existed so thank you for that! And yes, totally agree that if they are going to take away a major ability of pets to heal out of combat (really, I never heard of such a ridiculous thing and can see no logical reason for it) they should make it easier for us to manage with default options to see their health.

The notes being missed from the patch notes seems a little too convenient for me. I suspect it was not intended at all but would take too much for them to fix so instead they are saying it was. It took far too long for them to come back with that answer.

I am trying to manage with the changes, I make sure I heal my clann after each fight with it's own heal skill and have increased my magicka regen to account for that sometimes being inbetween battles that are very close together or healing during lengthy fights.

Clann not tanking the boss has been more problematic for me as I have relied heavily on that, I am now having to learn some new tactics such as kiting and looking at upping my stamina a bit to account for more rolls than before. I am too squishy in mostly light armour to be beat on up close by the boss and being a magicka user, just don't have the stamina to play tag with the boss across the area. (Any tips on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated, perhaps by message to avoid going off topic!). So basically for these 2 changes I (and I bet many others) am having to completely relearn my fight tactics.

Seems like a big thing to simply forget to include in patch notes!

• Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gina, please ask for and share the developer comments on these changes. I cannot figure out why they were made, and would like to try to understand the absurdity of these decisions.
    It's presumably so the pets will actually die and you'll have to resummon them, rather than just keeping the same summon up indefinitely.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    O.o What?

....can we get a developer comment on this? We all agreed Familiar was overperforming in terms of damage, but show me ONE complaint about pet's passive health regeneration. Seriously. Just one. What on Earth is this change based on? And why on Earth is a change like this left out of patch notes? What else was left out of patch notes to add this exciting kind of mystery to the game where you don't know how your skills actually work or if it's intended or not before extensive testing?

This is just stupid. Never fix what was not broken. Familiar damage was through the roof but Familiar health regeneration? Oh please.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erraln wrote: »

Why is the tanking summon not allowed to tank? Were there mechanics designed without them in mind that otherwise break?
    Why are summons immune to out-of-combat health regen? Player characters get after-combat regen.
    What player behaviors are these changes meant to curtail? Were summons deemed to have too permanent of a combat presence?

You missed the "in trials" part.

He still taunts. Just not in trials.
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sakiri wrote: »
    Erraln wrote: »

You missed the "in trials" part.

He still taunts. Just not in trials.

Distinction without a difference, as almost everything else can be 4 DPS'd. My guess is something went wrong in vHoF testing where multiple Clannfears were concerned, and they were disabled rather than balanced for.
    Edited by Erraln on June 2, 2017 8:15AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the end of the world, but it doesn't really add any depth to the gameplay either. It just feels counter-intuitive now.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 2, 2017 8:25AM
  • Izay
    Izay
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno The change to pets losing passive healing out of combat makes no sense and only makes using them less desirable and is an unfun mechanic. Could we please get the reasoning as to why this change was made to fully understand why the change was needed? From our point of view, it seems like the change was made to make the Warden auto-rez morph seem desirable. Pets in this game are already a hassle to play with and have various issues.
  • Bryong9ub17_ESO
    Bryong9ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The health regain nerf is the most ridicules thing i have ever seen... And anyone who says otherwise clearly has NO idea what they are talking about. Yes the damage needed a nerf, but whats the point of nerfing the damage when the damn thing is dead for the entire boss fight?

Health doesn't regain OUT OF COMBAT are you kidding me? This makes zero sense...

I'm wondering if they realized after the post and bug reports that they messed up the pets so instead of bothering with a fix they simply "forgot" to add it into the patch notes.. May not be the case, but that is what it seems like for the simple fact that the health Not regaining out of combat obliviously seems like a bug...

I've already dropped my pet build and it looks like i wont be going back anytime soon.

I'll come back to pets in about a year when ZoS looks at the hard data and sees they messed up and made pets almost obsolete.
    Edited by Bryong9ub17_ESO on June 2, 2017 11:41AM
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lylith wrote: »
    another oddity i've noticed:

bear's health at 98-99 pct, so i throw a heal at it, because i'm ocd sometimes.

bear's health immediately drops to 90 pct, so i heal him again - bear's health goes to 100 pct.

this is a consistent thing, but i haven't tested it at lower health levels.

Also happens with players btw... many times I've had where I jump of a keep wall, cast a heal which immediately shows me at 100%, then suddenly it drops to 90% or so.

health desyncs, probably another intended feature of ESO.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pets are the smartest of them all, avoiding combat at all costs.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *crickets*
  • liviogc
    liviogc
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Please re-think the regen of the pet or sincerely, it will be unfeasible to use the pet in the VMA or triais the cap of hel and 6 people for each healing. The pet will steal heal from other players. You did a great job bringing the pet back in the last patch. Do not throw it all away.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you give us some health bars on the pets since we have to heal them now? I'm doing it now through the nameplate option that I didn't know about until I happened to see it posted on the fotums. But I don't like using nameplates because I think they are ugly. And I think the so called intended behavior is just that their regeneration is broken and ya'll just don't want to bother with fixing it otherwise it would have been announced in the patch notes. Meh.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lack of passive healt regen between skirmishes for pets is a very poor decision that does not weaken experienced sorcs; it simply makes their play noticeably more tedious and less fun.

My healplar is obsessive about healtbars (occupational thing) so she has her options set up to see every friendly healthbar that is not at 100%. I agree it is shocking the number of pets running around with much of their health missing.

For my matriarch/clannfear magsorc it is mostly an inconvenience. Her matriarch will not heal the clannfear if there is another player around because her heals prioritize to players over pets. So, when others are around, we must have the clannfear heal itself. Pretty tedious.

For my poor bow/bow stamsorc with clannfear, she was on the shelf waiting for this bug to be fixed. Now I guess she'll be fully retired. She lacks the blue to heal the clannfear out of combat the several times it takes if he is low. So she can wait for regen or unsummon then resummon the clannfear as this is cheaper than healing him twice (or more). This is simply too tedious to enjoy. This character was fun but already on the 'edge' because she is rather 'out of the box'. Now she is just no fun at all. A shame - and what I consider to be another nudge to 'Get back in the metabox!' Ugh.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on June 2, 2017 12:07PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    it simply makes their play noticeably more tedious and less fun.

Pretty sure this is the general intention of this whole round of patches.

• SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just starting to like my pet build :(. Back in the closet with it....
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
  • Talonblaze
    Talonblaze
    Soul Shriven
    I have to chime in and say this change was pretty ridiculous.
    The pathetic 10% damage reduction to AOEs is laughably bad coupled with the other changes. It's not even bloody noticeable.
    I myself only use the Clanfear, but my friend enjoys running two pets and they have found it quite crippling when they need them to take hits instead. Alot of their skills were into the Summoning line.

If you were going to remove health regen COMPLETELY, a SIGNIFICANT damage reduction to ALL attacks would be needed for them to not be sneezed upon and die. Especially for the Clanfear who was designed to take hits iirc.

The fact that they were left pretty much as-is with this change is terrible. Not to mention how LONG it took for this information to be presented was ridiculous, as my friend was wondering if it was a bug or not. I now have to tell them someone actually thought this was a "good idea".

Oh how I love wasting mana just to heal other people's pets in the open world at banks just so that they can survive a second sneeze. I greatly hope this will be reverted or changed in the future.
    Duty is heavier than death.
  • Dasovaruilos
    Dasovaruilos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, when ZoS decides to touch something, they either make it unbelievable overpowered or unusable.

PetSorcs were too strong, need adjustments, but this basically kills them again.

We had a nice run, tough.
    Edited by Dasovaruilos on June 2, 2017 1:39PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

^This

I'll agree with the general grumbling about the lack of out-of-combat regen. If we have to adjust, we'll adjust, but that change, in particular, is baffling.

The point I want to highlight is that this will require us to start micro-managing our pets, in a game where the pet tools are severely limited. You can't even have one pet attack first, as would make sense (e.g., to sick the Clannfear or Scamp on the enemy, and keep the Twilight back to help heal the now-non-regenerating Clannfear/Scamp, instead of having the Twilight catch aggro first with its ranged attack and then die). There's no indicator of when your pet is low on health and needs a heal, so you either have to turn on all pet bars or just guess.

I'm guessing this sort of thing is part of the resource management nerf, so a sorc or warden has to spend resources to maintain their pets in a tough fight? That's fine, I get that. But no out-of-combat healing means lots of pointless micromanaging, because we'll basically have to heal them after every single fight.

We'll adjust. We always adjust. But this change is pretty obnoxious.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 2, 2017 1:17PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Bryong9ub17_ESO
    Bryong9ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

^This

I'll agree with the general grumbling about the lack of out-of-combat regen. If we have to adjust, we'll adjust, but that change, in particular, is baffling.

The point I want to highlight is that this will require us to start micro-managing our pets, in a game where the pet tools are severely limited. You can't even have one pet attack first, as would make sense (e.g., to sick the Clannfear or Scamp on the enemy, and keep the Twilight back to help heal the now-non-regenerating Clannfear/Scamp, instead of having the Twilight catch aggro first with its ranged attack and then die). There's no indicator of when your pet is low on health and needs a heal, so you either have to turn on all pet bars or just guess.

I'm guessing this sort of thing is part of the resource management nerf, so a sorc or warden has to spend resources to maintain their pets in a tough fight? That's fine, I get that. But no out-of-combat healing means lots of pointless micromanaging, because we'll basically have to heal them after every single fight.

We'll adjust. We always adjust. But this change is pretty obnoxious.

This 100%..

I still feel that the pets not regaining health out of combat is a bug. It makes zero sense otherwise.

Edited by Bryong9ub17_ESO on June 2, 2017 1:35PM
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Are you serious? I have no words, seriously. I want developer comment on this. Nobody complained about pet health out of combat. Nobody. Why are you "fixing" things which are not broken and everyone is fine how they work? Why are you slowly making pets useless? I just can't understand.

You should stick this information to main page, also add this information to pet tooltips in game. Cause right now people in game which don't read forums believe that it's simple bug and they are still waiting for fix.

Also I want to know if pet disappearing in combat and AI changes (attacking already destroyed pillars in vMA stage 8) are also "intended features"? I cause there are more changes like above in pets after update and they are also not mentioned in PTS patch notes. @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

could you take another look at patch notes and see if there's anything else missing pls ;)
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [*] Clannfear pets no longer taunt enemies in Trials. [/list]

so ... can we talk about the Sorc tank in PVE ?

after the nerf of Darkdeal that was our only skill for ressource management ...and the nerf of the clannfear taunt that was the only way to be " a bit useful " , what are we supposed to do ?

it's clearly disgusting , the sorc tank was the worst tank class ever and we have been ... nerfed -_-

i will delete him now ... thank for made me understand that archetype are not viable ,we should all play sorc dd - heal templar - dk tank .

Edited by Apherius on June 2, 2017 2:37PM
  • AtAfternoon
    AtAfternoon
    ✭✭✭

Isn't the fact that the Clannfear in fact do a proper taunt and as such don't have some kind of aggro priority but straight up steal taunts from tanks something that really really really should be displayed in the Clannfear tool tip?

clannfear.png
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The health regain nerf is the most ridicules thing i have ever seen... And anyone who says otherwise clearly has NO idea what they are talking about.

I lol'ed. Hyperbole at its finest.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ziaodix wrote: »
    the correct statement is "couldn't care less"
    Americans say it the way he did: "I could care less" which of course means they COULD actually care less which isn't at all what they're trying to say .. Brits use the correct version. ;)

Edited by KerinKor on June 2, 2017 5:19PM
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    ziaodix wrote: »
    the correct statement is "couldn't care less"
    Americans say it the way he did: "I could care less" which of course means they COULD actually care less which isn't at all what they're trying to say .. Brits use the correct version. ;)

Well, this American says couldn't care less. :smile:

I agree the not regaining health out of combat makes no sense. It just means I have to always remember to heal my pet after combat, which at least I can do fairly easily since I have the unstable clanfear morph. It just is a pain to always have to activate the skill before the next combat. And, since it is done in between fights, it has no impact on resource management.

But, for those that chose the other morph, they have to rely on some other heal. Otherwise, I guess you just wait till it finally dies (at probably the most in-opportunistic time) and then consume 1.5 seconds to re-summon.

I really hope the developers meant to just remove passive health regen during combat. That I could live with.
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Gina, please ask for and share the developer comments on these changes. I cannot figure out why they were made, and would like to try to understand the absurdity of these decisions.
    It's presumably so the pets will actually die and you'll have to resummon them, rather than just keeping the same summon up indefinitely.

That's only a relevant point in combat (and I gotta say, I have no objection to removing passive health regen in-combat). Making me open my abilities window, unslot my pet to banish it, reslot it, and resummon it between every fight is ridiculous.