The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS Feedback Thread for Frost Staff Tanking

• CubanRay
    CubanRay
    ✭✭
    Bunch of noobs just crying about frost tanking, just ask yourself if you have ever used frost staff?

ZOS introduces frost tanking based on facts they have and i can see now lot of mage tanks will be using frost tanking!

Hhahaha he's funny,doesn't he
    You are not worthy of a shield,not worthy!!!!!
  • austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    CubanRay wrote: »
    Wrobel said Frost Staff tanking is not something we will have to use . It is just for exploration and trying out new stuff , making different builds . That means it is not going to change , probably . You didn't listen to any feedback we gave and just wasted a huge opportunity of creating a build diversity for tanks ZOS . Now we are stuck with Ebon/Alkosh with double 1h/s for another year . Hope you prove me wrong and make it a little bit useful for tanks at least before release of Update 13 .

No,if you want to be a tank then grab a shield,this isn't Harry Potter.Staves are not for tanking!!!

What if I told you Frost Staff is completely useless in anywhere else ? If you are doing PvE as a DD , you shouldn't be using Frost Staff anyways . In PvP , you can get snare from almost every skill and still can perma-root other players . Whatever you say , it still got buffed when you compare to previous Frost Staff passives . What is the problem ?

I prefer frost staff over the others
    PC and PS4 (bring back character transfers please?)
    Templar Extraordinaire
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrobel said Frost Staff tanking is not something we will have to use . It is just for exploration and trying out new stuff , making different builds . That means it is not going to change , probably . You didn't listen to any feedback we gave and just wasted a huge opportunity of creating a build diversity for tanks ZOS . Now we are stuck with Ebon/Alkosh with double 1h/s for another year . Hope you prove me wrong and make it a little bit useful for tanks at least before release of Update 13 .

No,if you want to be a tank then grab a shield,this isn't Harry Potter.Staves are not for tanking!!!

What if I told you Frost Staff is completely useless in anywhere else ? If you are doing PvE as a DD , you shouldn't be using Frost Staff anyways . In PvP , you can get snare from almost every skill and still can perma-root other players . Whatever you say , it still got buffed when you compare to previous Frost Staff passives . What is the problem ?

Any specific reason ? Since passives clearly says that Lightning and Inferno is more damage . If you are a ''Frost-Mage'' roleplayer , I totally understand . If not , why ?
  • austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Any specific reason ? Since passives clearly says that Lightning and Inferno is more damage . If you are a ''Frost-Mage'' roleplayer , I totally understand . If not , why ?

I prefer the crowd control that frost staves offer over pure damage. Crowd Control is always overlooked by the DPS meta players. I will more easily survive, support my group, and win my fights in PvP than with a fire staff.
    Templar Extraordinaire
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I prefer the crowd control that frost staves offer over pure damage. Crowd Control is always overlooked by the DPS meta players. I will more easily survive, support my group, and win my fights in PvP than with a fire staff.

If you need crowd control , that means tank is not doing his job . If you need to survive by yourself , that means both tank and healer are not doing their job . In PvP , I also support usage of Frost Staff as root is really important . In PvE , whatever you play , DD tank or healer , it is far from being as good as flame or lightning . Hope I could make a point .
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you need crowd control , that means tank is not doing his job . If you need to survive by yourself , that means both tank and healer are not doing their job . In PvP , I also support usage of Frost Staff as root is really important . In PvE , whatever you play , DD tank or healer , it is far from being as good as flame or lightning . Hope I could make a point .

This and now tanks have even more options for that too.
  • austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play a tank, a healer, and a crowd control very well. I played games like Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot. Players always think that MMORPG's are based on the tank/dps/healer trinity. Unfortunately, MMORPG's have never worked that way. Crowd Control has always been part of that Trinity as well. I crowd control and the tank can taunt more efficiently. It keeps the group alive, and controls the chaos.

In ESO, which is a game that lacks AOE hard taunts. You do your group a huge service by helping crowd control prior to initiating the DPS phase. Groups that don't crowd control on big pulls will always wipe. Even in ESO.
    Templar Extraordinaire
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I play a tank, a healer, and a crowd control very well. I played games like Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot. Players always think that MMORPG's are based on the tank/dps/healer trinity. Unfortunately, MMORPG's have never worked that way. Crowd Control has always been part of that Trinity as well. I crowd control and the tank can taunt more efficiently. It keeps the group alive, and controls the chaos.

In ESO, which is a game that lacks AOE hard taunts. You do your group a huge service by helping crowd control prior to initiating the DPS phase. Groups that don't crowd control on big pulls will always wipe. Even in ESO.

Yeah . That is what I said . If your tank can't take aggro and crowd control at the same time . He is doing it wrong . You are just reducing total group DPS using a Frost Staff . Anyways , your choice . Not gonna force anyone .
  • austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    austinwalter87ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah . That is what I said . If your tank can't take aggro and crowd control at the same time . He is doing it wrong . You are just reducing total group DPS using a Frost Staff . Anyways , your choice . Not gonna force anyone .

I don't believe tanks should have too
    Templar Extraordinaire
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Has nothing to do with "believing" and everything with "knowing your role" and "battlefield optimization". Tanks can taunt and crowd control at the same time, it isn't hard.
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it does not have to be the tanks job that is just crap meta talk, in tons of mmorpgs other classes cc not just the tank, also surviving with a frost staff is another style of play, you would be surprised what you can do for cc in pvp and pve with a frost staff.
  • DragonBound
    DragonBound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woeler wrote: »

Has nothing to do with "believing" and everything with "knowing your role" and "battlefield optimization". Tanks can taunt and crowd control at the same time, it isn't hard.

But a tank can do other things if someone else is ccing, its just another style of play, you do not have to like it but it is not your place to tell others not to play that way.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone tested frost staff blocking wth say, harness magicka?

The reason this won't work: stam blocking builds do NOT have damage shields that return resources when hit. I think this is going to be a completely unbalanced disaster, and hilarity will ensue.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not so sure Harness Magicka is going to be terribly useful for frost tanks. Tanking in light armor is generally asking to have a bad time because your defenses will be terrible. Damage Shields get 0 mitigation, and only running 1 light armor piece means harness magicka is going to give poor returns.
    Edited by Jamini on January 31, 2017 3:53PM
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most likely this will be the enabler of some nasty troll PvP builds and get a lot of hate when it goes live...

Playing since beta...
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the frost tanks in PvP will be any worse that the troll tanks currently in the game, but maybe they will be. As far as using Harness to keep magicka flowing while blocking with magicka; Negate, root, stun, kill.

I'm sure they'll be annoying, but so are lots of builds.
  • KOSxX
    KOSxX
    Add a visual ice effect and the bonuses to existing shields. Frost shield. Tanks + ice staves = ridiculous.
  • Akimbro
    Akimbro
    ✭✭✭✭
    CosmicSoul wrote: »

But a tank can do other things if someone else is ccing, its just another style of play, you do not have to like it but it is not your place to tell others not to play that way.

Great idea! Maybe this will free up some diversity so my dps chars can run warhorn for better uptime. Maybe my mag sorc can even run the dragon set to reduce warhorn cost.
    ALACRITY Emperors united RIP
    LAST PRODIGIES World first SO clear RIP

The last egg in the carton.
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frost staff is currently good for "ice flavor", and rooting. Even with full winterborn(I have a whole set of infused/Divines), it was still poor compared to alternatives

I don't worry about this new frost staff being crappy, I worry about it being OP. Not in vTrials, not in vMA, but just about everywhere else
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CosmicSoul wrote: »

Because heal tanks aren't a thing either.
  • Drishtan
    Drishtan
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of noobs just crying about frost tanking, just ask yourself if you have ever used frost staff?

ZOS introduces frost tanking based on facts they have and i can see now lot of mage tanks will be using frost tanking!

Umm yea I use a frost staff bc they are good as is....Your a noob for not using one!
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts on frost staff tanking as proposed are that we simply lose too much by taking away a DPS weapon that has been with us since the beginning of the game, and forcing it to be a tank weapon all of a sudden.

It COULD be cool, but there are many inherent problems with the concept that must be dealt with first:
    • Taunting with heavy attack is a bad option. Charging a heavy attack takes time. Are you completely vulnerable for that time? Do you get massive defensive buffs during that time? If the later what about PVP? It would be much better to make the taunt a 3rd morph of an ability like Destructive Touch instead, since it wouldn't eliminate the possibility of frost staff as a DPS weapon.
    • You lose either your 2nd 5-piece or 2-piece monster set bonus when swapping from your 12-piece sword and shield gear setup. I think we need to make all 2H weapons count as 2 pieces towards set bonus in order for weapons (specifically frost tanking) to be fair and balanced.
    • You lose the ability to incorporate a frost magic theme into your DPS build unless you gimp yourself into an "only Warden is frost" mindset which I think goes against the whole spirit of One Tamriel and all the unique build options.
    This last one is the biggest deal breaker for me.

I personally have a really fun frost staff/2H Vampire Ice Knight melee build (5 medium 2 heavy Pelinal, Iceheart, and weapon/spell damage stacking over 3k for both with 20k stam/magicka) that relies on frost staff AOE and heavy attacks for added DPS and ranged options. It does 20k+ DPS, plus I really like the visuals and the frost theme and would hate for the build to be rendered completely useless because I can no longer use heavy attack and frost staff can't be used for DPS.

Making a completely new weapon line for magic tanking would be optimal. Barring that, just creating a 3rd morph for Destructive Touch to have it function as a taunt would be a far better option, and would let you continue to use frost in your DPS build if you wanted.

Frost staff has existed since the beginning of the game and I really don't think it is right to simply lose it as an option.

Particularly when there are so many problems with frost tanking as proposed.

Edited by Phinix1 on February 6, 2017 10:27PM
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love how they ask for feedback then proceed to completely ignore 10 pages of suggestions and run with the initial "heavy attack is taunt," "lose frost as DPS option entirely." XD

/sigh
  • Vilelated
    Vilelated
    I like the idea.
    But a couple things should be considered. First I agree with everyone else that a heavy attack taunt is aweful. Second I think the frost staff should focus on aoe tanking. Give the activated taunt as a pbaoe (point blank aoe) taunt based on magicka, high cost.
    One of the worst aspects from tanking atm is keeping aoe threat.

Lastly, please consider allowing 2 handed, staff and bows to be considered as a 2 piece for set gears to help offset the unfair advantage of s/s and dw. Otherwise 5, 5, 2 is just to powerful to justify using a staff for tanking.
    Please balance the board.
  • VileIntent
    VileIntent
    ✭✭✭✭
    is this still being considered? will wardens change the meta for viability?