Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Update 13 - Sneak peak notes

ZOS_RichLambert
ZOS_RichLambert
Creative Director
Hi All! As we near the end of 2016, I wanted to give a quick sneak peak into some of the more hotly debated topics recently and shed some light on how we plan on addressing them for Update 13. Keep in mind this isn't everything coming in the update... and definitely not any of the class balance changes - you will have to wait for the natch potes for the full list. :)

Proc sets
We are going to be making some changes to these sets to balance out their burst potential. When the update hits, any set that has a damage or heal proc component to it will no longer crit in PVE or PVP. We chose this direction as we like the concept of these sets and still want them to be interesting and viable, we just wanted to tone down their overall burst potential. (sustain is slightly reduced, while burst potential is significantly reduced)

AoE cap adjustments
First a bit of background - AoE caps are there to help keep single-target abilities effective in PvP. In addition, they allow players the chance to survive some of the larger-scale battles a bit longer. (especially newer players)
We are going to modify the damage caps so that players take more damage. This will have an adverse effect on the newer players in Cyrodiil - and will make AoE more effective, but will help combat the balled-up “stack on crown” groups and spread players out more. The changes will be:
  • The first 6 players hit always take 100% damage
  • The next 7 to 30 players take 75% damage (for reference on live this is currently 50%)
  • The next 31 to 60 players take 50% damage (for reference on live this is currently 25%)
  • Players past 60 take 0 damage (for reference on live this is also currently 0%)
We are starting fairly conservatively with this initial round of changes and once we have had a chance to see how they affect things in Cyrodiil on a large scale, we will evaluate further changes.

Poison fixes / adjustments
All poisons now share the same global cooldown and no longer have individual cooldowns. This means that when Update 13 goes live, it will no longer be possible to proc a poison more than once every 10 seconds.In addition, we’ve been able to track down and fix a separate issue where poisons could sometimes double proc.

Stuck in combat in Cyrodiil
This has been an ongoing issue in Cyrodiil for a long time now – due to the nature of combat in Cyrodiil there were cascading threat issues between players. (i.e. – You fight another player and all the threat they have on them is transferred to you) We’ve changed how threat is transferred between players and when Update 13 goes live, you should always drop combat properly after 6 seconds of ending a battle. Note: If you are grouped with other players and they are actively in combat, you will still be considered in combat as well.

Charging into loadscreens in Cyrodiil
We think we have a fix! It’s been really, really hard for us to repro this one internally, and therefore really difficult to fix. A huge thank you to everyone who has submitted locations and videos of how to repro the issue. If you get it again after Update 13, please let us know. (Provide the date/time & campaign - if you have a video of it, even better)

PvPers want more things to spend AP on
We've been working on ways to add more things that you can purchase with AP. With Update 13, we are updating the PVP vendors in your home keeps and adding a new item - Zone Bags. These Zone Bags contain a set item from an overland zone and will scale to your level. For example: the Auridon Zone Bag will only have Queen's Elegance, Twin Sisters and Veiled Heritance item sets in it. The bags will cost 5K AP and always contain one green or blue quality item in them.

Again, this is just a sneak peak... not an exhaustive list. There is a lot more coming in Update 13, including a whole bunch of balance fixes. (Patch Notes aren't quite done yet, so hang in there for awhile longer)

Enjoy your holidays and please be safe on New Years!
Rich Lambert
Creative Director - The Elder Scrolls Online
Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube
Staff Post
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A late christmas present for the PVP'ers.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on December 27, 2016 3:34PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No pve crit. Wow thanks for Fixing burst in PVP. But still all my farming for a set that can't crit now. Waste of my Christmas weekend. All of it. Goodbye llambris.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude @ZOS_RichLambert BRUH

I like it :wink:

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Once again a bad change on the proc sets to try and make PvP happy. The burst is fine when fightning mobs with millions of health or that one shot or nearly one shot players. This should had either been left alone or figured out a way to turn the crit off while in Cyrodiil only.

You will never be able to balance PvE items in PvP settings it's impossible stop trying to do so, and just make items and skills that can only be used in PvE or PvP content.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Would be great for finishing up PvE sets without having to rely on constant luck. Though I guess we still have to be lucky when it comes down to the traits, right?

Oh well, working towards sets without having to leave Cyrodiil? Approved.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you much appreciated and great news especially on the loading screens. :)
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    57b8232c114fa62a7ed6067ab0ec2d173cac3a7f7617cfce45d326b0c464e2cc.jpg
    Edited by Sheezabeast on December 27, 2016 3:36PM
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • EnviousStruggle
    EnviousStruggle
    ✭✭✭
    The bags will cost 5K AP and always contain one green or blue quality item in them.

so if we want purple rings we still need to go and grind PVE?
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am super hyped
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsazMXB.png
  • Valve
    Valve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Proc sets
    We are going to be making some changes to these sets to balance out their burst potential. When the update hits, any set that has a damage or heal proc component to it will no longer crit in PVE or PVP. We chose this direction as we like the concept of these sets and still want them to be interesting and viable, we just wanted to tone down their overall burst potential. (sustain is slightly reduced, while burst potential is significantly reduced)
    Does this include the 2-piece monster sets? It's going to affect PvE quite a bit. :L

Critical damage is important in PvE trials for DPS, removing the critical component from these sets (at least the 2-piece monster sets) will prevent them benefiting from the major and minor force buffs and the other critical modifiers (shadow mundus and class passives).

I think this should at least be reconsidered/clarified.

Wouldn't a better change be to add a one second global cooldown for all procs -- this way procs could only happen one second after another proc, which would prevent the ridiculous one shot from one attack followed by multiple simultaneous procs.
    Stuck in combat in Cyrodiil
    This has been an ongoing issue in Cyrodiil for a long time now – due to the nature of combat in Cyrodiil there were cascading threat issues between players. (i.e. – You fight another player and all the threat they have on them is transferred to you) We’ve changed how threat is transferred between players and when Update 13 goes live, you should always drop combat properly after 6 seconds of ending a battle. Note: If you are grouped with other players and they are actively in combat, you will still be considered in combat as well.
    Hopefully this means I can actually mount when I'm in a small group on my healer after fighting! Was always annoying watching everyone else ride away.
    Again, this is just a sneak peak... not an exhaustive list. There is a lot more coming in Update 13, including a whole bunch of balance fixes
    Hopefully some changes that improve magicka NBs for PvE DPS!
    Edited by Valve on December 28, 2016 1:28PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyerx4
    Flawless Conqueror all Classes
    3rd Anniversary!
    Guar Squad
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bags will cost 5K AP and always contain one green or blue quality item in them.

so if we want purple rings we still need to go and grind PVE?

or watch guild vendors I guess

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great changes for sure; people should know he didn't say the damage of the tooltip would be changed only the ability for it to crit would be so if your tooltip shows you doing X it'll still do X when proc'd (For example veli does like 12k on my tooltip so I will still do that damage but I won't crit it doing extra damage).

AoE Caps baby!! It's a good start but soon we must get them removed, I hope this improves cyrodiil significantly.

@ZOS_RichLambert Can we talk about the Tel Var sets, I know this is a sneak peek but I really wanna know when I can get jewelry from those sets :)???

Edit: I do wanna say that this should only affect proc sets like viper and monster sets, if it only worked for PvP then that would've been the best option which I have said in the past. Definitely sucks that it's more of a blanket nerf to crit chance instead of only pertaining to PvP content.
    Edited by MaxwellC on December 27, 2016 5:01PM
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so still be able to stack viper, red mountain and velidrith, now you have to add in a posion and you will be back at the burst they used to be.

TTK goes from 1s to 2s, awesome job.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do i have the feeling pve players are not going to be happy with proccsets no longer being able to critically hit. :neutral:

I must say i like the change pvp wise - but i think it´s trash for pve. That´s a hefty nerf for certain builds.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Shadeaux
    Shadeaux
    ✭✭✭
    Talking about burst damage, how about fixing Eye of the Flame?

The sheer number of people running it should tell you how broken it is.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Anything done about this imbalance? Damage over Time Proc sets are completely underpowered, any changes coming to those sets?
    Czykx0lXUAAWnra.jpg:large
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again a bad change on the proc sets to try and make PvP happy. The burst is fine when fightning mobs with millions of health or that one shot or nearly one shot players. This should had either been left alone or figured out a way to turn the crit off while in Cyrodiil only.

You will never be able to balance PvE items in PvP settings it's impossible stop trying to do so, and just make items and skills that can only be used in PvE or PvP content.

Both ilambris and grothdarr are clealry overperfoming compared to anything else on current patch. Change is welcomed as maybe will open up some builf diversity, allowing a second full 5p set without using dw,
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi and happy holidays, @ZOS_RichLambert . :)

Regarding proc sets, is there any possibility of having something like what WoW introduced in Legion, where you have PVP "templates" on gear sets? Basically, having gear and set bonuses behave differently depending on whether you are currently flagged for PVP (including dueling)?

I really think that would be the safest, most constructive way to go, and easier for you in the long term. No more causing problems in PVP when you make cool PVE changes and vice versa.

A little extra work maybe, but a large benefit to stability and build diversity. Plus you save the cost of having to go back and do so much balance work later.
  • nick_dean14
    nick_dean14
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Illambris. That was worth the grind :/
    Guildmaster of Tamriel Trials Team. A PvE focused dungeons and trials guild on the PS4 EU server.
    Check out our thread if you're interested in joining!
  • kyler9987b16_ESO
    kyler9987b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Why is PVE getting *** on for monster sets?

• AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

^ This. ^

Yet again, PvPers cry a river and get stuff nerfed. Just turning off the crit in Cyrodiil would have sorted it. I was enjoying my Ilambris set.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SanTii.92 wrote: »

Both ilambris and grothdarr are clealry overperfoming compared to anything else on current patch. Change is welcomed as maybe will open up some builf diversity, allowing a second full 5p set without using dw,

Fine then change the damage output on those sets. This has always been the biggest screw up though of devs in games like this. These items are designed around killing raid bosses with millions of health . So of course they are going to be way to powerful in PvP. Instead of trying to fix the problem or as I said above make skills, and items that are only useable in either PvE / PvP they just are always like oh well screw it lets just nerf the crap out of the PvE side of the item.

• DuckEmDoc
    DuckEmDoc
    ✭✭
    Seriously, WTF? Why can't you guys EVER fix one thing that's a PvP problem without it affecting PvE?? Is is so effing hard to just leave PvE *** alone???? I GUARANTEE nobody was asking for a tone down on burst damage or for crit to be removed from PvE. ***....
  • Awakatanka
    Awakatanka
    ✭✭
    No change to Proc sets. Then i will not come back. I have fun with ark atm. Will try but i dont see any reason to keep playing if i read this sneak peak.....

To easy PvE and PvP is dead for me. It is more and more a call of duty kids game.....
    Edited by Awakatanka on December 27, 2016 3:52PM
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    global cool down of dmg procs in pvp was what was needed to stop ppl stacking them as it would be pointless or give then a risk reward style of play like kena instead of just a 20% chance and no negatives
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, !!! Cannot wait for more details!

On the side not, does this mean that skoria will stop doing critical dmg as well?
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • Tacadrie
    Tacadrie
    ✭✭✭
    RIP all 2 piece monster set ! Well done ZoS !
    Ebonheart Pact EU
    Guild : Hodor & L'Escouade Sauvage

Taca Flamber : Dunmer DK - vMoL : 161,909
    Tacadrie : Nordic DK
    Taca Ptation : Breton NB
    Taca : Altmer Sorc
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    not at all
    Tacadrie wrote: »
    RIP all 2 piece monster set ! Well done ZoS !

not all just because they don't crit doesn't mean they won't hit hard especially if can still stack procs
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overall these changes look pretty good, but I was hoping for more changes regarding proc sets. I wish they could be kept as they currently are for PVE (so as not to ruin them for PVE-ers,) but disabled or something in PVP.
    The rest of the changes look nice, the AoE cap adjustment is a step in the right direction (although I wish they would just remove the cap entirely).

Thanks for the sneak peak! :)
    Edited by Eirella on December 27, 2016 3:57PM
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled