Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hollowjack Style Material availability?

Zells
Zells
✭✭✭
I've been looking and I can't find any information about the availability of the Hollowjack style material after the event ends. I'm assuming the style material will drop during the event, but will it continue to be available afterwards? I'm much less excited about spending the time to farm all the motif recipes if I'll only be able to craft a small number of pieces once and then never again.

@Zells
Edited by Zells on October 13, 2016 3:23PM
Tamriel_Tidbits is the home of your daily ESO Memento Mori: https://www.youtube.com/@Tamriel_Tidbits
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting materials from the plunder skulls. I doubt they will be available after the event.
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    I'm getting materials from the plunder skulls. I doubt they will be available after the event.

That's my fear, I'm hoping someone can confirm one way or another. I'm okay with the motifs only dropping during the event, but if there's a finite number of style materials, then that really affects how much effort I put in. If I can't make a new set of it six months from now when my gear needs change, then it might as well be a vanity costume, because it isn't "gear".
    Tamriel_Tidbits is the home of your daily ESO Memento Mori: https://www.youtube.com/@Tamriel_Tidbits
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    *** *** ZOS tactics!!! style mat drops from plunder skulls just during the festival, then only Mimic stones from Crown store!!! How *** is this?????

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3442313/#Comment_3442313
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - having trouble with the quote function (new forum user)

altemriel said:
    >>*** *** ZOS tactics!!! style mat drops from plunder skulls just during the festival, then only Mimic stones from Crown store!!! How *** is this?????

Hm. Honestly, I've never used mimic stones; I thought they replaced the base material (ore, cloth, etc.). Didn't realize they replace the style material, oops.

I see why you're ticked off. I also want to push back against increased monetization in the game. I spent actual $ to purchase the Dro-m'Atha mount because I totally failed a Willpower roll and couldn't *not* have it. But even as I did so, I was annoyed at ZOS for making it a 4-day, spend-money-or-lose-your-chance sort of deal. I felt hard-sell pressure to spend that money, and I didn't like it. But I *really* wanted the mount, so I caved.

At the same time, I do get that "limited" events create excitement in the game. If everything is always the same, there's diminished incentive to log in on any particular day, and it makes the world much more immersive and dynamic to have, for instance, holiday events. I also see how the limited-time items have to be cosmetic in nature, not the kinds of items that will give a player a permanent advantage that other players can no longer get. In that vein, I totally understand why the event motifs are limited-time drop only.

Frankly, part of the reason I'm a subscriber is because I genuinely want to support ZOS and help fund the game I love. So I'm not a hard-line opponent of the Crown Store as a general rule. I can't say I'm thrilled about the idea of spending Crowns on mimic stones, but it does seem like the best possible compromise - certainly better a better situation than "event's over, now you can never make those set pieces again".
    Edited by Zells on October 13, 2016 5:32PM
  • treborrealb14_ESO
    treborrealb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    *** *** ZOS tactics!!! style mat drops from plunder skulls just during the festival, then only Mimic stones from Crown store!!! How *** is this?????

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3442313/#Comment_3442313

Makes a new market for "nirnhone" type item player A and B have the motif to craft Hollow Jack Player B has no way to get the style mat or a mimic stone Player A can get mimic stones and starts making HollowJack Items to sell in open market these items sell for about the amount of Crafted Nirh gear for research all with the hopes of Deconing the gear to get a style mat to then Make there own. I see a silk road here
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on a similar note, is the grim harlequin motif even exclusive? there seems to be no countdown timer on it like most limited time offers...
    Edited by Pandorii on October 13, 2016 6:43PM
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    on a similar note, is the grim harlequin motif even exclusive? there seems to be no countdown timer on it like most limited time offers...

Its Exclusive
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More info on Witches Festival
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3440245/#Comment_3440245

They suggest the Grim Harvest Motif will be gone after the event.
    Megaservers: PC NA (sometimes) / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (mostly)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Shared My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    ESO Calendarmancer - Retired
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's alright that it's limited, it makes it special. The event is long enough to stock up on style stones and they will probably be made available again next Halloween. I'm not going to craft any Hollowjack items, so if you want some six months from now, I can probably sell you some stones. ;)
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    it would be nice if they would make a quest spot, where we would be able to farm the hollowjack style mats even after the event
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've now released a motif (Hollowjack) which will have a limited useage, due to the style stones being limited.

They've also released another motif (Harlequin) that will exclusively require style stones bought with dollars, as the stones are not otherwise obtainable.

This will repeat again in a few months, with a limited style (Skinchanger) and a dollars exclusive one (Frostcaster/Stalhrim).

I have no doubt that this is done specifically to increase the usage of mimic stones, thus turning into profit for ZOS.

Before this, if you had enough gold or did enough farming and grinding, you vould circumvent the dollars shop entirely. With these 4 new styles (and more to come, I assure you), you will eventually have to turn to mimic stones, thus forcing you into the dollars shop.

As it pertains for crafting and motifs, they've changed the dollars shop from a choice of convenience into a necessity, and that is my biggest concern about this.

Even worse, since mimic stones are account bound, in order to have these new motifs crafted for you (the ones that can only be made with mimic stones), someone will inevitably have to spend real dollars making those for you, and you will most likely repay them by giving ingame gold or other goods. So here we see a clear exchange of real life dollars (mimic stones) being traded for ingame valuables. Another big, big concern I have.
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that link, BenevolentBowd - I thought I had read all the Witches Festival threads, but somehow I missed that one.

That thread included this info -
    "purchasing the Grim Harlequin will net you 54 Mimic Stones"

- so at we do not, at least, have to purchase mimic stones in addition to the Grim Harlequin motif.

However. Carbonised makes a good point about the fact that making the gear in the future eventually translates into spending real-world money to get in-game valuables, and I, too, do have a problem with that.

Altemriel made this point:
    it would be nice if they would make a quest spot, where we would be able to farm the hollowjack style mats even after the event

I don't know about farming the style mats perpetually - the game world would eventually be full of pockets of farming areas for no-longer-available motifs.

I suggest the creation of something like Vendors of Unusual Goods, one in each alliance. The goods available in this Vendor's inventory would be dependent upon the Momentos the player had - if the account has the Witches Whistle, then when that player goes to the buy menu, the Vendor of Unusual Goods would carry both Hollowjack and Grim Harlequin style mats in their inventory for purchase. This Vendor might also have some Crown-store-only items available for purchase with in-game-gold on a limited basis - say you could buy an experience scroll once a month, or a certain number of mimic stones.

Does that sound like a workable compromise?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zells The style material for Hollowjack (amber marbles) will be available onlyfor the duration of the Witches' festival. That ends November 1st.

That said, there won't be a shortage of marbles rolling around, believe me. After maybe an hour of serious farming, I had 40+ if I was particularly fussed, I am completely sure that I could farm 1000+ over the course of this event. Unless the people getting this motif plan to craft for others, they might not be too worried about supply. Add that to the following:

1) Everyone in the game right now is hoarding marbles like crazy, increasing their presence and inevitably lowering their cost if one needed to buy them.

2) People who participate in this event will undoubtedly get the actual chapters required to make their own Hollowjack gear, if they so choose.

3) Those that cannot craft certain traits or sets for lack of research ought to have quite a few marbles themselves, which will negate the need to buy the marbles from others or the crafter in question.

So while I can understand the concern about these marbles being gone after the event, I am seeing this as a near non issue to those that participate in the event, which is the idea yes?

As for the Grim Harlequin motif...That's another debate that I'm not sure I want to even work myself up over.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    @Zells The style material for Hollowjack (amber marbles) will be available onlyfor the duration of the Witches' festival. That ends November 1st.

That said, there won't be a shortage of marbles rolling around, believe me. After maybe an hour of serious farming, I had 40+ if I was particularly fussed, I am completely sure that I could farm 1000+ over the course of this event. Unless the people getting this motif plan to craft for others, they might not be too worried about supply. Add that to the following:

1) Everyone in the game right now is hoarding marbles like crazy, increasing their presence and inevitably lowering their cost if one needed to buy them.

2) People who participate in this event will undoubtedly get the actual chapters required to make their own Hollowjack gear, if they so choose.

3) Those that cannot craft certain traits or sets for lack of research ought to have quite a few marbles themselves, which will negate the need to buy the marbles from others or the crafter in question.

So while I can understand the concern about these marbles being gone after the event, I am seeing this as a near non issue to those that participate in the event, which is the idea yes?

As for the Grim Harlequin motif...That's another debate that I'm not sure I want to even work myself up over.

This person gets it.

I already have 1k of it after six hours. By the end of the festival, I am pretty sure to have over 15k.
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    I have 40-some Amber Marbles after farming last night, but I haven't made any of the Hollowjack yet, or even been to a crafting table - can someone verify that 1 Amber Marble makes a piece of gear? I was under the impression that the Amber Marbles had to be combined into the actual style item, like 10 Dried Blood = 1 Tainted Blood. If I have 40 Amber Marbles, can I make 40 pieces of gear, or 4?
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Amber Marble is required to make one gear piece. They are ready to use without refining.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    One Amber Marble is required to make one gear piece. They are ready to use without refining.

Thanks!

My questions are addressed - thanks to everyone for the discussion.
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think these kind of things might bring about more profit for gold sellers (re: Harlequin). Take real money to buy motif and mimic stones and either list the stones after breaking down the gear or list the gear in the store either way for an absurd price, take gold and sell it to players. In the end I think the style mats will be available for gold but an insane amount of gold. I was intending on eventually doing the same for the hollow jack minus the selling gold part I hate gold sellers. One amber marble for 50k. >:)
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Unsent.Soul
    Unsent.Soul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the exclusivity of the event. The more skulls you farm, the more mats you get. I've not farmed much due to schedule and I'm already over 50+.

Smart players are stocking up as much as possible. I'm particularly fond of the event and the rush to stockpile.

In a month, 6 months, a years time, these items may be worth a decent price for still having these to offer people.

ZOS can only make this more popular by doing this often and having more crafted sets available.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question: can you craft Hollowjack armour/weapons at any Crafting Station or is there a special station you have to go to?
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    hagermanj wrote: »
    I have a question: can you craft Hollowjack armour/weapons at any Crafting Station or is there a special station you have to go to?

Any station.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually one of the cheapest and coolest styles out there - loves black dyes so much :)
    OFIdkV1.jpg
    5HNhhmV.jpg
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Zells
    Zells
    ✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Actually one of the cheapest and coolest styles out there - loves black dyes so much :)

I have to agree, @Gargath. The RP backstory of my fire mage is that Divayth Fyr created her out his DNA mixed with that of a Fire Atronach. (She's one of his clones.) Since Morrowind, I've added mods to the games that let her wear the Fire Atronach armor. I used the black dye on the heavy "frame" in the Hollowjack and it mimics that look very closely.

I could not be more happy with this armor unless my feet left little flame trails when I ran. :smile:
    Edited by Zells on October 18, 2016 1:57PM
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    They've now released a motif (Hollowjack) which will have a limited useage, due to the style stones being limited.

They've also released another motif (Harlequin) that will exclusively require style stones bought with dollars, as the stones are not otherwise obtainable.

This will repeat again in a few months, with a limited style (Skinchanger) and a dollars exclusive one (Frostcaster/Stalhrim).

I have no doubt that this is done specifically to increase the usage of mimic stones, thus turning into profit for ZOS.

Before this, if you had enough gold or did enough farming and grinding, you vould circumvent the dollars shop entirely. With these 4 new styles (and more to come, I assure you), you will eventually have to turn to mimic stones, thus forcing you into the dollars shop.

As it pertains for crafting and motifs, they've changed the dollars shop from a choice of convenience into a necessity, and that is my biggest concern about this.

Even worse, since mimic stones are account bound, in order to have these new motifs crafted for you (the ones that can only be made with mimic stones), someone will inevitably have to spend real dollars making those for you, and you will most likely repay them by giving ingame gold or other goods. So here we see a clear exchange of real life dollars (mimic stones) being traded for ingame valuables. Another big, big concern I have.

Exactly this!!!

Hollowjack after the festival will become the same as Grim Harl. - want a crafter to get it crafted for you? You do not have the style mats farmed in your bank, oops neither has the crafter, you have to pay real money for mimic stones....

It is just sad that ZOS implemented this!!

Instead of for example dropping the exlusivity limited time ego hype and returning all the stuff into crown store back - would make millions of real money only by this little move. They introduce such a crappy tactics to first hype us during a festival and then let us buy their crappy mimic stones by real money, and with the Grim Harl. and the others comming it is pure pay real money and ingame gold to the crafter....so sad about this.....
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hollowjack after the festival will become the same as Grim Harl. - want a crafter to get it crafted for you? You do not have the style mats farmed in your bank, oops neither has the crafter, you have to pay real money for mimic stones....

I don't see it this way. I am currently swimming in marbles. By the time I got the entire motif from drops, plus the masks, and all of the recipes, I had a ton of them.

Sure, you can go crazy and have to buy Mimic stones, but for the rest of the month, you can farm marbles and probably have hundreds of them and be set for a long time. If they do the same event next year, you only need a 1 year supply.

Hopefully Marketing will not step in and make next year's holiday event a cash grab and make us pay crowns to open the Plunder, or remove the marbles, or some other such stupid thing.

Edited by Elsonso on May 26, 2018 12:55PM
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have over 200 marbles just from dungeoning and whatnot, and its still the first week of the event. I'm sure there are people with thousands of them--it'll be a long time before you'll need mimic stones for hollowjack stuff.

Grim Harlequin, yeah that complaint's more legit.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

Exactly this!!!

It is just sad that ZOS implemented this!!

Instead of for example dropping the exlusivity limited time ego hype and returning all the stuff into crown store back - would make millions of real money only by this little move. They introduce such a crappy tactics to first hype us during a festival and then let us buy their crappy mimic stones by real money, and with the Grim Harl. and the others comming it is pure pay real money and ingame gold to the crafter....so sad about this.....

I actually still don't get your point or don't see where you got this info from.

Show me a ZOS statement where they say that they are going to DELETE all collected amber marbles (there's a huge difference between deleting items and preventing any further drops). Otherwise I doubt it will happen and we're both talking about what we believe will happen.

In the case that they don't DELETE the materials: I'm currently at around 400+. Many others as well. I don't even know what to do with them so I used a few to craft some low level gear for grinding (yes, while using the event buff - so mostly useless).

Point is that there are currently so many amber marbles around that you shouldn't expect a shortage very soon if they don't delete them. Want to farm some? Already wanted to create a new char and try something else? It would be a good moment right now. +100% exp + style motifs + amber marbles. you'll easily get 300+ and the achievement while bringing your new char to 50;)

Regarding the crown store motif... well... it sucks having to buy mimic stones for it and the style doesn't even look that good, at least in my opinion.
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see it this way. I am currently swimming in marbles. By the time I got the entire motif from drops, plus the masks, and all of the recipes, I had a ton of them.

Same here, and I'm not actually done farming for the last mask yet. By the time I get it I'll probably have enough marbles that I would have to do crafting Writs with them on all four characters every day for a few months to run out. I have no problem with the way it's set up now; there is plenty of time to stockpile them, it's not difficult to do, and they'll presumably be available next year--if you run out before then, that's what guildies and guild traders are for.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zells wrote: »
    I could not be more happy with this armor unless my feet left little flame trails when I ran. :smile:
    Maybe not the flame trails, but as substitute this cool luminescence on armor parts in dark areas -
    So nice for RPing with some dark story :). So sick with a pumpkin mask >:) .

9aLkgFC.jpg
    KuklAFz.jpg

Simply the best style with Hist Guar :)
    WStpeEK.jpg

And on topic - I also get a lot of marbles during Dolmens, World Bosses, already got about 50-60 in few days. I don't do writs at all - for me the most boring/repeatable part of game.
    What amuses me is when I see people trying WTS hollowjack style books in chat - this already is give away due to drop rate and some people still want 3k/book ;).
    Edited by Gargath on October 19, 2016 2:14PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • DkAngel23b14_ESO
    The book prices will go up eventually... maybe by Jan. The economy is a bit weird on PS4 so itll actually probably have a decent price in a few months. As for the marbles... yeah theres not going to be an issue there. Unless you are literally just crafting dozens of pieces of this stuff to sell (does anyone do that with anything other than nirn on occasion?) then I dont see how you will burn through the 100+ youll get just doing the open 100 skulls achievement. I like the limited nature of this one, it gives it a special feel to it. That said Ive got almost 2 more full sets of the motifs (aside the full one I learned personally) so Im going to bet that anyone for the next 6 months that wants this style is going to be getting it with little effort.