Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Cheating and Exploits

• BloodMagicLord
    BloodMagicLord
    ✭✭✭✭
    FENGRUSH wrote: »
    Apparently my thread wasnt acceptable, and Im supposed to post this here???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDm5rGhqaI

lol you got censored.
    Can't have people disputing the ZOS banhammer.
    PC EU | Tank | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart
    STOP CLASS HOMOGENISATION
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    Altercator wrote: »
    Nobody should be banned for using gap closers.

Zenimax, fix your game and stop blaming players for your mistakes.

Ridiculous. FIX your code.

Yeah sorry, but that dog don't hunt. Players used a known exploit. It's no ones fault but their own for violating the TOS.

A box of money falls off of a truck. Just because you can take the money doesn't make it either right, nor legal. An honest person turns the box of money in. In this case, players just cheated because they thought they could get away with it. Now they learn that they can't and are all butt hurt about it.

Tough luck.
    @Pomaikai All I'm hearing from you is "People should have known, Tough Luck, tough Luck. Durrrrrrr." Who cares if they exploited or not. If Zos fixed their gap closers, none of this crap would have happened. It's their fault they haven't fixed it. It's their fault players are exploiting it due to them staying silent about despite it being on the forums on pts. It's their fault that people was getting innocently banned for stupid crap like using speed buffs. Maybe players shouldn't have used it, but that what happens if you leave this crap in the game for a month. No one should get banned by their mistake.

Sick and tired of you people witch hunting. Yes, some players need to be banned, but at the same time, simple finding someone to report and ban is NOT the solution. This whole banning thing is tearing the community apart.

Simply saying The player are at fault is idiotic.

"Tough Luck."

Except the player is 100% at fault for using an exploit. I don't care if ZOS can't get their collective doo doo together. That's neither here nor there. Yes, they should have been clear on this issue long before, and they should have made their ruling easier to find, but neither does their poor handling of this excuse the players for exploiting.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY BRAG ABOUT IT, AND LAUGH ABOUT THE FACT THEY DON'T THINK ZOS WILL EVER PENALIZE THEM FOR DOING SO!

So yes, not only did none of this add up, and not only have the streamers and other people promoting this broken mechanic known that it wasn't right since DB PTS, but for over a month since ZOS categorically stated it was a bug, and to use it was exploiting. They then even clarified it more as this mess progressed, until their ultimate line in the sand post, which those same people then ridiculed ZOS again.

Again, I'm sorry but tough luck. More bans should be done, and the people who promoted the exploit via Twitch streams and YouTube should get the harshest penalties of all. The more brash in their responses to ZOS's official position, the harsher the penalty.
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I think I have a solution for keep jumpers that Zenimax can get behind without losing players (not as many anyway lol):

So someone gets caught keep jumping in Cyrodiil. Following the usual punishment methods that player could be booted from Cyrodiil and cannot return to it for an hour with a warning message saying why. If they return after the hour is up and persist I say ban that person from Cyrodiil entirely for a few days. They would be unable to enter campaigns at all until that expires, and to make the punishment stick more, for both the warning and the second punishment, it would be spread to EVERY CHARACTER in that account. A third time would result in that account being permanently kicked out of Cyrodiil, no matter how many times they delete and remake characters. This could also apply to any other exploits going on.

For cheat engine users though it's clear that the culprits need to be banned from the entire game, regardless of how many people Zenimax loses. If that many people are cheating then something went wrong in the first place, and I'd say Zenimax should take legal action against the makers of the cheat engine to get to the root of the problem. Also it's only PC players that have access to CE so at MOST they lose 1/3rd of their entire population.

As for using Crit Rush to enter Keeps.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

ZENIMAX you were aware from the PTS that this was an issue, why is this in the game, why is it an Exploit.

YOU KNEW, why is it in the game?

ZENIMAX you are the cause, you pushed to the LIVE SERVER A BROKEN GAME

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno

Why can't you answer why you push out a Broken game, that you KNOW is broken. Then you say people are exploiting, you put it in knowing full well this would happen!
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People were told along time ago on the forums , going into enemy keeps without siege is not intended play . People were given more warnings recently and people laughed and made jokes . People got banned and now it's outrageous ?

Psssh please .
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Since people are still using cop outs to try to justify bans allow me to break it down in 3 easy explanations.

1. Exploitation with knowledge it is an exploit. Grounds for banning. No one is more responsible than the exploiter there.
    2. Things break all the time. Fixes come as they come. Always have, always will. Furthermore, breaks do not ALWAYS occur pre-patch. Sometimes some slip in unnoticed and is not caught until afterward.
    3. Appropriate action is taken before AND after fixes. This includes, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, explaining if something is an exploit. After the first announcement it is an exploit all bets are on the table. You gamble, you risk. Simple as that.

So yeah everyone keep telling yourselves Zenimax banning people that exploit a bug WITH THE KNOWLEDGE IT IS AN EXPLOIT are being unjustly banned, and we will continue to pity your ignorance on the matter. Not trying to be rude or harsh here, just tellin' the truth.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I COULD SEE A MAJOR *CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT* AND LIABILITIES.
    lol-2.gif

• KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    KramUzibra wrote: »
    And what about those casual players that don't read the forums, don't watch eso live and are not on twitch? How will they know gab closing is not ok?

Common sense. If, for 2 years, you were required to perform a lengthy siege and bring down a wall before you could enter a keep, and suddenly you can bypass all that with a single button press, chances are it is not intended. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably

iv seen dks leaping into keeps since the beginning! Iv witnessed players partially breaking down keep walls and practically jumping into keeps using various ledges for a year now. Keep in mind I'm on xbox. Xbox has not experienced many mmo's and playing any RPG or online verses game. Players eventually find glitches, or bugs the players continue to play the game and sometimes exploit those bugs until the game manufacturer launches an update to fix it. The game manufacturer doesn't go and ban them or delete their IL gotten gains. You shouldn't assume sense since we all perceive situations subjectively. If zos doesn't want players to perform certain actions then they are obligated to fix it so those actions can not be performed. excluding 3rd party programs that brake the games coding for personal gain of course. Many of the xbox players I'm in virtual contact with never even heard of these forums and until zos notifies the entire player base in some manner like the startup screen that Gap closing in to keeps is in violation of teso rules then certain player unaware of this can not and should not be held accountable. At the very least zos should notify the individual with a warning. If they persist and continue to exploit then it would be reasonable to place a temporary ban.
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    People were told along time ago on the forums , going into enemy keeps without siege is not intended play . People were given more warnings recently and people laughed and made jokes . People got banned and now it's outrageous ?

Psssh please .

Again we are not by any means obligated to read the forums. Therefore not all players will know that it's wrong. Maybe I'm wrong but I think zos has the capability to notify use via the start up screen. You know the one that let's us all know that darkbrotherhood and other dlcs are out.
  • Gamerscape2007
    Gamerscape2007
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah sorry, but that dog don't hunt. Players used a known exploit. It's no ones fault but their own for violating the TOS.

A box of money falls off of a truck. Just because you can take the money doesn't make it either right, nor legal. An honest person turns the box of money in. In this case, players just cheated because they thought they could get away with it. Now they learn that they can't and are all butt hurt about it.

Tough luck.
    @Pomaikai All I'm hearing from you is "People should have known, Tough Luck, tough Luck. Durrrrrrr." Who cares if they exploited or not. If Zos fixed their gap closers, none of this crap would have happened. It's their fault they haven't fixed it. It's their fault players are exploiting it due to them staying silent about despite it being on the forums on pts. It's their fault that people was getting innocently banned for stupid crap like using speed buffs. Maybe players shouldn't have used it, but that what happens if you leave this crap in the game for a month. No one should get banned by their mistake.

Sick and tired of you people witch hunting. Yes, some players need to be banned, but at the same time, simple finding someone to report and ban is NOT the solution. This whole banning thing is tearing the community apart.

Simply saying The player are at fault is idiotic.

"Tough Luck."

Except the player is 100% at fault for using an exploit. I don't care if ZOS can't get their collective doo doo together. That's neither here nor there. Yes, they should have been clear on this issue long before, and they should have made their ruling easier to find, but neither does their poor handling of this excuse the players for exploiting.

ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY BRAG ABOUT IT, AND LAUGH ABOUT THE FACT THEY DON'T THINK ZOS WILL EVER PENALIZE THEM FOR DOING SO!

So yes, not only did none of this add up, and not only have the streamers and other people promoting this broken mechanic known that it wasn't right since DB PTS, but for over a month since ZOS categorically stated it was a bug, and to use it was exploiting. They then even clarified it more as this mess progressed, until their ultimate line in the sand post, which those same people then ridiculed ZOS again.

Again, I'm sorry but tough luck. More bans should be done, and the people who promoted the exploit via Twitch streams and YouTube should get the harshest penalties of all. The more brash in their responses to ZOS's official position, the harsher the penalty.

Here we go with the bans again. Seriously, you have no legs to walk on with this argument. Banning people IS NOT GOING TO FIX THIS BUG THAT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A MONTH! How can you not comprehend it? Zos gave us this exploit, that people are obviously going to use. We told them ahead of time that they need to fix this. And they're not! And they still won't even after saying this is an Exploit. Which means that we're going to have this bug with us for even more months!

So what? You expect me to not use a gap closer while Zos refuses to fix their crap? Where's the logic in that? It's crazy!

No, your logic tells me you want to focus on banning and continue on with this god forsaken witch hunt rather than getting Zos to fix the game! We don't need bans, we need to fix the skill! How is that so hard to understand? How is it? Do not ban, fix. It's that simple. It's a simple concept! This is 100% Zos's fault and you're delusional if you think otherwise.

"Tough Luck." @Pomaikai
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭

Tough luck.

I would rather ZOS fix their code then deal with stupid arguments on why someone thinks banning more players is a good idea.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Psssh please .

Again we are not by any means obligated to read the forums. Therefore not all players will know that it's wrong. Maybe I'm wrong but I think zos has the capability to notify use via the start up screen. You know the one that let's us all know that darkbrotherhood and other dlcs are out.

I was referring to people banned that had forum accounts , knew about it and kept doing it anyways . The only people banned so far , did in fact read the warnings and laughed them off .

As far as new people , I agree ZOS should post this information in plain sight in the game or launcher .
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

I was referring to people banned that had forum accounts , knew about it and kept doing it anyways . The only people banned so far , did in fact read the warnings and laughed them off .

As far as new people , I agree ZOS should post this information in plain sight in the game or launcher .

Or, you know, they could fix the code. They have access to it.
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭

Psssh please .

I'm sorry my mistake.
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Over 1000 posts and not an official word from ZOS as far as I know? Is it just me or is this thread here just to control the forums traffic?
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Psssh please .

They're working on it . It's a buggy mess . I don't think they ever should of rolled out this patch this way in the first place but here we are .
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Psssh please .

I'm sorry my mistake.

No worries at all !
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

They're working on it . It's a buggy mess . I don't think they ever should of rolled out this patch this way in the first place but here we are .

Your right. They shouldn't have released a broken mechanic into the wild only to ban players for their own mistake. ZOS needs to take responsibility for their carelessness and fix the code instead of blaming the players.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

Your right. They shouldn't have released a broken mechanic into the wild only to ban players for their own mistake. ZOS needs to take responsibility for their carelessness and fix the code instead of blaming the players.

So they should just press the magical instafix button that apparently exists instead of blaming players for taking advantage of a bug they are working on fixing? Yeah, ok. Fix all the bugs you want but players that abuse exploits will only jump at the chance to abuse more. Get rid of them AND fix the existing exploits and you fix 2 things, not just 1.

The argument going around right now is Zenimax should do one or the other, but both should be done, no ifs ands or buts. End of discussion there.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on July 9, 2016 9:36PM
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

So they should just press the magical instafix button that apparently exists instead of blaming players for taking advantage of a bug they are working on fixing? Yeah, ok. Fix all the bugs you want but players that abuse exploits will only jump at the chance to abuse more. Get rid of them AND fix the existing exploits and you fix 2 things, not just 1.

The argument going around right now is Zenimax should do one or the other, but both should be done, no ifs ands or buts. End of discussion there.

SO according to this argument ZOS will always write glitchy exploitable code and they will continue to ban more and more players as the game progresses. Sounds like status quo to me.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

SO according to this argument ZOS will always write glitchy exploitable code and they will continue to ban more and more players as the game progresses. Sounds like status quo to me.

It's easy to claim something like that when you think badly of a company. Doesn't make it true though. *** happens and if it were intentional it would not be an exploit.
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭

Psssh please .

It's easy to claim something like that when you think badly of a company. Doesn't make it true though. *** happens and if it were intentional it would not be an exploit.

@UltimaJoe777 What if its a case that they have to rush the patches rather than a case of them writing glitchy code?
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

That was your argument not mine. I paraphrased it, but that was your argument. It doesn't really matter though.

ZOS should fix the code and stop blaming the players for their mistakes. Maybe they can learn that from this farce.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

@UltimaJoe777 What if its a case that they have to rush the patches rather than a case of them writing glitchy code?

Then if an exploit is discovered someone will report it, and they will acknowledge it, announce it, and take action against those who ignore the acknowledgement, aka exploiters.

Psssh please .

That was your argument not mine. I paraphrased it, but that was your argument. It doesn't really matter though.

ZOS should fix the code and stop blaming the players for their mistakes. Maybe they can learn that from this farce.

And this is what you fail to see: Zenimax is NOT responsible for players abusing exploits that know full well it's an exploit because it was THEIR CHOICE to abuse it, especially for their own personal gain, instead of not abuse it. As I said before via analogy if you find a loaded hand gun lying around the consequences of your action to use it to shoot someone is on you, not whoever left it there.
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

Then if an exploit is discovered someone will report it, and they will acknowledge it, announce it, and take action against those who ignore the acknowledgement, aka exploiters.

Psssh please .

And this is what you fail to see: Zenimax is NOT responsible for players abusing exploits that know full well it's an exploit because it was THEIR CHOICE to abuse it, especially for their own personal gain, instead of not abuse it. As I said before via analogy if you find a loaded hand gun lying around the consequences of your action to use it to shoot someone is on you, not whoever left it there.

I would rather ZOS fix their code and stop blaming players for their mistakes then deal with silly arguments about handguns and consequences.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There seem to be a lot of otherwise smart people who don't seem to understand that an exploit is basically using something like a bug that exists in the code for a manner that is against the rules of the game and saying things like 'It can't be an exploit because ZOS haven't fixed it' ????????

If they had fixed it you wouldn't be ABLE to exploit it... but because it exists and people have exploited it which is against their TOS then you got punished as you were warned you could be by that same TOS.

In addition staff have told us repeatedly it is not intended to be able to fly into keeps, it has been talked about here, in guild chat, in zone chat and on whatever voice chat people use...

Of course it will be super when they do fix it because then exploiters will have to find another bug to exploit, and that will also count as an exploit until the code folks figure out how to fix it...

The one failing on gap closers ZOS have as far as I can see here is in not maintaining a page somewhere with a list of known exploits that will result in punishment if used. I suspect they don't do this so as not to make us all aware of them but right now IMO they should consider rethinking this...
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭

Psssh please .

Kinda like animation cancelling?
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    @UltimaJoe777 Wouldn't that analogy also mean that handgun was there for months and the police know about it but can't remove it at the moment? No way would that happen in real life.
    Edited by Whatzituyah on July 9, 2016 10:03PM
  • Altercator
    Altercator
    ✭✭✭
    @UltimaJoe777 Wouldn't that analogy also mean that handgun was there for months and the police know about it but can't remove it at the moment? No way would that happen in real life.

The police don't just know about it. They are the ones that put it there in the first place.
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Psssh please .

Psssh please .

I would rather ZOS fix their code and stop blaming players for their mistakes then deal with silly arguments about handguns and consequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0lIseL-lZY

Psssh please .

Kinda like animation cancelling?

Hard to say if they intended to add that all along or if it was an accident they approved of without them saying otherwise but they acknowledge it as a legitimate mechanic so it is indeed not an exploit.

Depends on how long it was there. There are far more civilians than officers so the odds of someone getting it before the cops are high. Whether said person uses it maliciously for personal gain or hands it over to the cops is where this analogy applies.

The police don't just know about it. They are the ones that put it there in the first place.

Lost cause is lost... Seriously if you're going to be negative about Zenimax at least use logic.
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on July 9, 2016 10:25PM
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 1000 posts and not an official word from ZOS as far as I know? Is it just me or is this thread here just to control the forums traffic?

It is stickied in the alliance war forum.
This discussion has been closed.