Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

how do you guys justify paying $15 a month?

• kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »
    SFBryan18 wrote: »
    OP plays the game so much that he finishes everything, and then acts like he got ripped off... K. Crying about a game that you just spent more time on than all girls in your life combined.

At this point to not have basically been through everything you either average an hour every couple days or you are just very bad at the game.

How do you come to this conclusion? I haven't finished getting to fifty, both views are narrow and this is why people call this community toxic. Look as in anything in life we are all different and remember the Wizards first Rule.

I have come to this conclusion because if you take every quest in the game, max every crafting skill, listen to every word of dialogue, read every single book you find and play for 15 minutes a day you would be passed 50. If you don't want to get passed 50 great that is fine and your playstyle. The argument that people at vet ranks are "flying through the content" is just not true. The game just doesn't take that long. If you want to play in a method that takes a very long time that is fine enjoy the game, but it is your choice not a matter of the game has not been out long enough for people to be at vet ranks without skipping through all the content and flying through the game.

How is your opinion about what I said any less "toxic"?
    Edited by kitsinni on June 24, 2014 1:39PM
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, let's get this straight:

Single player action game:
    40-80 euro for 4-8 hours of gameplay

Single player strategy game:
    30-60 euro for 2-3 weeks of gameplay

Sub based MMO:
    60 euro + 13 euro/month for unlimited time.

Unless you plan to play less than a month, MMOs, even sub based, are still worth it.
    Sub at least drives away children and literal jerks who only play to mess with others (as most f2p players do in SWTOR for example), with no real interest in the game whatsoever..
  • Ri_Dariit
    Ri_Dariit
    ✭✭✭
    Well i was thinking i could afford a cute dragon skin cover for my lance , or i could buy a month of game time. So i went with a month of game time.

dragon-meme-generator-your-lance-doesn-t-need-a-cover-b9bb8f.jpg
    Edited by Ri_Dariit on June 24, 2014 1:47PM
    Fusozay Var VarJaji kor nirni. Ri'Dariit ahnurr shir Gouranga an vasa rid-t'har.
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you know people skipped anything to get to VR12?

I preordered early access but didn't start playing till May 1st. I'm VR4 and have barely played in about 3 weeks. Mostly just been feeding the horse and researching aside from the weekend a couple weeks ago I got motivated and did 2 zones / ranks. Everything on every map to my level is white and I have every quest, skyward, and exploration achievements up to my current rank except the coldharbour lights of meridia one...4/5 on that because I haven't gone back to figure out the deal since they fixed it. If I had actually played this whole time I estimate I would be at least vr10 having done everything in every zone except cyrodil. Saving that for the end, whenever I get there.

This whole "it's your fault for rushing" thing is really tired at this point. Especially since there's no excuse for not having content for high end available at launch anyway. PvP might work for that except there have been major balance and technical issues in cyrodil. And not everyone likes PvP.

It's not players fault that they actually play the game the way they want and expect there to be something to do at top level, weather they rushed or not.
    Edited by Fleymark on June 24, 2014 1:48PM
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to know where that guy six posts up is getting smokes for 15/mo, cause I want some of that, thats awesome.
    Edited by Rylana on June 24, 2014 1:50PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fun game. I justify the price by playing it. I feel like this question could have been answered prior to asking by applying some common sense.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you bought early release the game has been out for something like 86 days .. exaclty how long do you guys expect it to take to get to VR levels? Even if you didn't get early access still over 80 days.

ZOMG you got to VR in 80 days ... you are just flying through and skipping all the content ..
  • Nick_666
    Nick_666
    ✭✭
    £30 plus for a new single player game.
    3 months or so to do all ESO content (I don't know this cos I aint got to end yet, just surmising).
    Sounds a fair price to pay, and of course you can play for as long as you want to pay.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fleymark wrote: »
    How do you know people skipped anything to get to VR12?

I preordered early access but didn't start playing till May 1st. I'm VR4 and have barely played in about 3 weeks. Mostly just been feeding the horse and researching aside from the weekend a couple weeks ago I got motivated and did 2 zones / ranks. Everything on every map to my level is white and I have every quest, skyward, and exploration achievements up to my current rank except the coldharbour lights of meridia one...4/5 on that because I haven't gone back to figure out the deal since they fixed it. If I had actually played this whole time I estimate I would be at least vr10 having done everything in every zone except cyrodil. Saving that for the end, whenever I get there.

This whole "it's your fault for rushing" thing is really tired at this point. Especially since there's no excuse for not having content for high end available at launch anyway. PvP might work for that except there have been major balance and technical issues in cyrodil. And not everyone likes PvP.

It's not players fault that they actually play the game the way they want and expect there to be something to do at top level, weather they rushed or not.

Here's my point: Players were VR10 in two weeks. There is no possible amount of content devs could have released, unless it was comparable to WoW's extra 10 years of development since launch, that would NOT have been consumed equally and in turn.

It's not the dev's fault that players are consumers, and will ALWAYS consume content faster than developers can provide it.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of happy players inside, playing the game. Turning the sound up. Listening to the dialogue. Roleplaying at the inn. Having dress-up contests at the docks. Running dolmen runs and group dungeons. Clocking out achievements. Taking over keeps in Cyrodiil.

There is content. Whether it is enough to justify a player's subscription, is entirely up to that player.

There is more than enough to justify mine, but like everyone else, I want more, too. Housing. New guilds. More quests. New zones. More dungeons. Arena PvP. Massive Zone bosses. More roleplay tools. Player-generated content. More armors and achievements and equipment and low level stuff and high level stuff and useless stuff and useful stuff and ...

But it still comes down to the fact that I'm entertained, so will happily keep paying my sub.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the game and the constant updates.

Unless someone could justify 2-3 extra cups of coffee they get every month with that $15, I'm not gonna justify my spendings on games.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do not like this game please leave. I am enjoying it. My 6 month sub was worth the amount of entertainment I get. Problems? Sure, I have encountered a few. Improvements needed? I could suggest some. Overall though I am satisfied. If I were not I would be playing something else instead of trolling these forums.
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rotatorkuf wrote: »
    not trying to troll or anything

but game has almost a criminally low amount of actual endgame content at vr12

(not counting the endless zerg pvp i suppose)

sure $15 isn't much to the majority of us

but, other than paying to beta test for consoles

how do you guys justify it?

1. I strongly believe the forced payment keeps most of the trash out. If this game were free, virtually anybody could play meaning 100x as many kids, trolls, botters and gold sellers.

2. It does help regulate Botters and Gold Sellers a little. Corporate entities won't be impacted and will continue however average "botter joe" will risk his account that he invested money into. He might think twice.

3. There are already worse things to spend 15 bucks a month on. Automotive Insurance for example, is a damn-near criminal enterprise. Health Insurance much the same.

4. By paying subscriptions, we encourage the devs to develop content for the game, fix bugs and keep the servers good. Gamemasters, customer service, etc. If this game were free all that time would instead be focused on creating microtransactions which usually results in P2W schemes.

5. You are playing a game for the PC, not beta testing for the consoles. You might not "feel" this way, however this is the definition of what you are doing. Your opinion is just conjecture and doesn't add anything.

There are plenty more, but I don't care to post them.

Within; Without.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neverwinter Online is free to play. They get patches every month (or two), and a new expansion every six months.

Otherwise, contains many similarities to ESO, and is a year older than this title. If the subscription is causing concerns for some, there are gaming alternatives out there.

Of course, the subscription is why I'm HERE, and not in NWO. I like weekly patches, server hotfixes and new content every 6 weeks.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    though i Waa waa alot a lot about certain things (priamarily balance and mechanics). It appears you have not played many MMO's from launch. From EQ, and WOW the two biggest names in the Genre . niether had as much end game activites as ESO did at launch. If it still looks like this at the end of summer. ill write the game off. but if they keep adding VR dungeons some real raids not those stupid limited res trials ill still be here. No MMO is ready for release until 6 to 12 months after it actually launches lol
  • Fleymark
    Fleymark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ruze84b14_ESO

I'm sure there were people at top level in 2 weeks. There are always people who rush. It's entirely legitimate play. It's silly of them to be surprised that there may not be a lot to do if they do that, but there is still no excuse for a lack of content for all levels of the game at release. How would you like to pay for a movie then have the lights come up and 20 mins go by while the protectionist loads the last reel for you?

The software industry is the only one that gets away with consistently selling people incomplete products and services. It's an OPM business model....let's get it out the door then we will finish it with the money wemake from release. And it's ridiculous . Bordering on a ponzi scheme, really. I honestly have no idea why it's even legal at this point considering the size of the industry and how long it's been going on. And somehow, half the consumers think it's acceptable and make excuses for it. I guess we should all just enjoy the first reel of the movie over and over till the people we have already paid for the whole movie gets around to loading the last reel.

But that's really a whole different discussion. My point here is that the shelf life of your argument expired about a month ago.
  • Animus0724
    Animus0724
    ✭✭✭
    Breg_Magol wrote: »
    Let's see ...
    1. I gave up smoking cigarettes about 15 years ago

Tips please
    I take pride in being an incredibly smart dumb ass, or an incredibly dumb smart ass, either way I'm awesome.

-The Art Of Warfare (T.A.W.)
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fleymark wrote: »
    @ruze84b14_ESO

But that's really a whole different discussion. My point here is that the shelf life of your argument expired about a month ago.

^^^^ THIS

Most of the people who were V10 in 2 weeks had already played on the PTS for 6 months. They had already experienced everything. But we are close to three months in now not two weeks.
  • Anrik
    Anrik
    ✭✭

I can either pay $15 for unlimited enjoyment for a month or the equivalent of a down payment on a house to go see a movie in a theater for two hours. That's how I justify it.
  • drogon1
    drogon1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno. The PvP seems to be a fine end-game. It would be better if they imported DAOC's realm rank system. That's a wonderful end-game mechanic to keep players interested as they add more dedicated PvE end-game stuff over time.

Adding a DAOC style Darkness Falls PvP dungeon would also be great end-game content that would provide players a ton of fun.
  • Morticielle
    Morticielle
    ✭✭✭
    I don't justify it, I just spend it. If I wouldn't spend all my allowances, my wife would reduce them saying I wouldn't need that much, because I never use it up. ;)
    Lady Morticielle d'Aragòn |VR12| Sorcerer | PvP Rank 21 (Major Grade I) | EU-Megaserver | AD

Subscription cancelled due to the following facts:

- Zenimax implements more bugs from patch to patch
    - Zenimax does not care about the increasing instability of the game. People have more and more crashes Fix of memory bug decreased number of crashes considerably
    - Zenimax has still not fully fixed the fps drops they (!) implemented with patch1.2.3
    - Zenimax does nothing to fix the massive ability lags in PvP
    - Zenimax gives more attention to unnecassary 'content' like dyes for armors than fixing issues
    - In patchnotes Zenimax lies about bugs allegedly fixed
    - Zenimax has no plan as to how balance population in Cyrodiil campaigns
    - Support is ineffective and does not even speak in a way one can linguistically understand

• dafraorb16_ESO
    dafraorb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Because we are tired to play *** P2W game like Neverwinter Online or others chinese P2W game.
    If you don't want to pay a little fee for play a great games like TESO, Wildstar or EvE Online get out on these scam pls

It's funny how people crying about P2P games when they waste dollars on Steam Early Access games
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    kewl wrote: »
    I'm having fun.

That's exactly it. To me, it's not about end content, VR levels, grinding or anything else like that. I'm having a great time playing it, and while I am, the $15 a month is well worth it. When I stop having a great time, I'll stop paying and move onto something else.

---
    Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Fleymark, my point is that it's a hallmark of the industry. Has been since I started in MMO's over a decade ago, and will probably continue to be. MMO's release 'working' builds, but are almost always very light on content.

I don't see this changing. It's a standard. EQ did it. WoW did it. Wildstar has done it. ESO did it (though there is a considerable amount of content ... AOC released without even having PvP!). Most MMO's aren't really 'busy' enough until after their first year.

Have I chastised developers for this before? Yes, especially when I first started. Do I fully expect it now? Yes. I still buy in, cause I want to. I still enjoy or move on, cause I want to. It no longer upsets me, like buying a $20 movie off the new release rack upsets me when the movie is in the $5 bin a year later. It's expected.

Getting to the real meat of this argument: MMO's are in development for a LONG time. The only other games I know that come close are actually Bethesda's sprawling single-player titles. Otherwise, pre-launch development means a period where there is a lot of work being done, but no pay.

As many are seeing with Steam and whatnot, game developers find plenty of ways to get around this issue. They take investors (who sometimes have a say in the game, for good or ill). They take partners (also, for good or ill). Nowadays they even jumpstart, and certain games on Steam are even launching Alpha builds ... with subscriptions! That's a generally non-working game getting peoples money already!

If an MMO releases, you can rest assured that if it's out of beta, it's only barely. And unlike many games where, when the work is done, you just collect the money (here's looking at you, Skyrim, and your measly DLC's), MMO's will remain in development, possibly for decades to come.

Meaning, it'll always be in some form of beta. For some players, this is simply mind-numbing and silly, and I understand that.

For players like me, the reason I choose MMO's over single-player games (that I still play, either way), is that I'll be getting new expansions from ZOS for ESO until this game shuts down. Ultima Online is still releasing content, and it launched in '97! Whereas, the DLC for Skyrim was done in the first year (sure there's player generated content, but it's neither lore nor always top notch, though a lot of it is better than what Bethesda produced).

In the end, it's the players call. It's your $15. If it ain't fun, don't play it. Plain and simple.

You don't see me playing Wildstar, do you?

XBOX NA

• Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Animus0724 wrote: »
    Let's see ...

Tips please

The only tip I know that works: when you are ready to quit smoking, just quit. Leave yourself no excuses. No 'when I finish this pack', cause you pick it up again next time someone offers you one. No 'one cig less a day', cause you still want to smoke.

Just. Quit.

XBOX NA

• Brynmere
    Brynmere
    ✭✭
    Play a couple of hours a day when possible. More on the weekend. 40+ hours in a month. Worth $15 which would be a price of one movie ticket plus a drink for one afternoon or evening. It's not only about end content to be honest because using the movie example again, that's like fast forwarding through a movie just to see how it ends. If it was absolutely crap of a movie, okay...I would just quit watching, but I have found the game entertaining enough despite little glitches and bugs. Haven't come across a game that doesn't glitch or have bugs.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see ...

Tips please

The only tip I know that works: when you are ready to quit smoking, just quit. Leave yourself no excuses. No 'when I finish this pack', cause you pick it up again next time someone offers you one. No 'one cig less a day', cause you still want to smoke.

Just. Quit.

Ok one more question.

If quit...

How does it still equal 15/mo

>____>
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Justify it to who? You?
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
  • Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think its worth 12€ but instead of posting on the forum i just stopped subbing.
    At the moment im playing planetside 2, it plays much better than ESO and its free.

Damn i just posted on the forum :|
    Edited by Gisgo on June 24, 2014 2:30PM
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    Let's see ...

Tips please

Just. Quit.

Ok one more question.

If quit...

How does it still equal 15/mo

>____>

Where I live, for cheap smokes, that's smoking less than a pack a week. I'm not even sure if that's worth trying to quit, hehehe ...

XBOX NA

• Ulalume
    Ulalume
    I honestly don't know. Once I am done playing through all three factions there is no reason for me to stay subbed. The quests are certainly well done for an mmorpg, but I'd probably have more fun replaying Dragon Age or Mass Effect for the 100th time.

I've started looking for a new mmorpg with structured pvp. Once I find it, my brother and I will be gone.