Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

how do you guys justify paying $15 a month?

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it a fun game! To me there is a lot of reply value to be had still in the stories -- should I let this NPC live or die? Should tell on this NPC or not? etc etc

I have played Skyrim for 3,219 hours (accounting by steam timer), and ESO has more content then Skyrim Had (not counting mods).

What is the big deal about this all this "endgame" this or that crap anyways? To me, it is a silly idea to start with. Some games, the road is more fun then then the so called "end game" Make an alt or two, change build ideas around, play a build that is VERY different then normal play style or play the ESO as goodie two shoes or the slippy snake type char and see how NPC act to you. Also, Hanging out with RP people is great way to play the game as well -- that is not used content by many.

Have you played all 3 classes?
    Have you played all 4 factions style lines? Both as a good char and an evil char.
    How about PVP?
    Get involved with a guild or two, or crafting or trade mats / items -- there are many content ideas if one uses their own mind to make ESO into a sandbox game.

People say ESO is themed park, but also one can make into a sandbox game if one used one's mind to make up your own quest ideas.
  • Hilgara
    Hilgara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vis wrote: »
    rotatorkuf wrote: »
    not trying to troll or anything

but game has almost a criminally low amount of actual endgame content at vr12

(not counting the endless zerg pvp i suppose)

sure $15 isn't much to the majority of us

but, other than paying to beta test for consoles

how do you guys justify it?

Can I have your stuff?

hasn't got any, he's skint
  • Janduin
    Janduin
    ✭✭
    $15? Please enough with fake whining. That's less than what I spent on dinner and two drinks this Saturday. Give me a break, cheap for a whole month of entertainment. If you are that poor, turn off the computer and go get a job.

I have...4 characters that I play, 35,30,28,and 22. Different classes, different factions. If you are bored, roll an alt.
    Janzgrimr - V4 DK -Ebonheart Pact
    Janzig - V4 NB -Ebonheart Pact
    Abdul al-Hazred - LvL 40 Sorceror - Ebonheart Pact
    Jandero - LvL 46 Sorceror - Aldmeri Dominion
    Jagurtha -LvL38 DK - Daggerfall Covenent
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game is still fun to me and worth $15 at least till this month ends. I agree that there is basically no end-game and once I'm done with the alt rolling I'll probably hit the road.

Honeslty the game has no mid-game aymore either. My last guy was in the higher VR when craglorn hit and by the time I hit the VR9-VR10 zones it was a ghost town. Now by VR2 it is a ghost town and there is no one to do dolmen and world bosses at all. Even most queues for the Vet dungeons can take hours even if you queue as a tank or healer. I'm still enjoying playing alts but the whole get to 50 doing the same quests over then grind for a weekend in craglorn, spend 15 minutes getting gear then rolling an alt is about finished. Typically at this stage I would roll an alt in an enemy faction but I have already seen all their quests so that is pretty much the same as doing another alt in my chosen faction.
  • Crumpy
    Crumpy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crumpy wrote: »
    There is no justification for a subsciption-fee for this substandard product that was released too early and seems to still be in the testing stage.
    He didn't use justify the way you seem to think he did.

Whatever
    I lyke not this quill.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crumpy wrote: »
    There is no justification for a subsciption-fee for this substandard product that was released too early and seems to still be in the testing stage.

Just curious why are you still here?
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok patch time, time to go play pinball

Damn it you guys, stop arguing about cost of game and go play pinball!!

>:(
    Edited by Rylana on June 24, 2014 12:03PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • rotatorkuf
    rotatorkuf
    ✭✭✭
    kitsinni wrote: »
    The game is still fun to me and worth $15 at least till this month ends. I agree that there is basically no end-game and once I'm done with the alt rolling I'll probably hit the road.

Honeslty the game has no mid-game aymore either. My last guy was in the higher VR when craglorn hit and by the time I hit the VR9-VR10 zones it was a ghost town. Now by VR2 it is a ghost town and there is no one to do dolmen and world bosses at all. Even most queues for the Vet dungeons can take hours even if you queue as a tank or healer. I'm still enjoying playing alts but the whole get to 50 doing the same quests over then grind for a weekend in craglorn, spend 15 minutes getting gear then rolling an alt is about finished. Typically at this stage I would roll an alt in an enemy faction but I have already seen all their quests so that is pretty much the same as doing another alt in my chosen faction.

this is a good response
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hilgara and others....

From reading the posts in this thread, I'm having trouble deciding if I'm the Devil, or not.

Let's see... I am VR12 but don't think that I abused the system, skipped all the content, exploited something, or didn't "play the game as intended. I have done all 3 faction areas and have the achievements for doing all the quests, I've gotten every skyshard in the game, done every delve, dungeon, world boss, dolmen, gotten fighters guild and mages guild to level 10, maxed 4 weapons and 4 crafting professions, and gotten around 5k achievement points.

I don't think that I've ever complained about not having anything to do.

And how do I justify paying $15/month? Because I have a real job, make a crap ton of money and $15 is less than one of the incredible alcohol infused milkshakes at Holstein's in Las Vegas.
  • Mystborn
    Mystborn
    ✭✭✭

Weak troll 3/10, would not read again.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP plays the game so much that he finishes everything, and then acts like he got ripped off... K. Crying about a game that you just spent more time on than all girls in your life combined.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on June 24, 2014 12:07PM
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing to justify as far as I can tell. I am for the most part enjoying the service I am paying for. This is really cheap entertainment, try going to the movies everyday and paying for popcorn and drinks.

Sure I can go for a walk in the park for free, but can I do that wearing a robe and holding a staff? Nope I would be arrested and carted off to a mental health facility.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this is a good response
    Actually it's not good at all.

I totally agree with it but it has nothing to do with your OP, you think it's "good" because it supports your agenda not because it's 'good' in the context of the thread you created as he provides none of the justification you were allegedly asking for.
  • rotatorkuf
    rotatorkuf
    ✭✭✭

this is a good response
    Actually it's not good at all.

I totally agree with it but it has nothing to do with your OP, you think it's "good" because it supports your agenda not because it's 'good' in the context of the thread you created as he provides none of the justification you were allegedly asking for.

this is a good response
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing to justify as far as I can tell. I am for the most part enjoying the service I am paying for. This is really cheap entertainment, try going to the movies everyday and paying for popcorn and drinks.

Sure I can go for a walk in the park for free, but can I do that wearing a robe and holding a staff? Nope I would be arrested and carted off to a mental health facility.

Not in my city you wouldn't. Some people might actually give you money.

San Francisco
  • lpool96
    lpool96
    ✭✭✭
    Well i was thinking i could afford a cute dragon skin cover for my lance , or i could buy a month of game time. So i went with a month of game time.

LOL
  • lpool96
    lpool96
    ✭✭✭
    Hilgara wrote: »
    Simple. I'm not exploiting to VR12. I'm playing the game I pay for instead of paying for it then not playing all of it......then complain that there's no content.

This!
  • ebondeath
    ebondeath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I'm having fun. Does it really need to be more complicated than that?
    ╔═════════════⌈Alannah Corvaine⌋══════════════╗
    Rise, rise! To freedom, rise! Arise, ye Breton sons and daughters.
    Ride, ride! To freedom, ride! Truth and glory to the brave!
    ╚═════════════⌊VR 12 Breton NB⌉══════════════╝
  • Agis
    Agis
    ✭✭✭
    Cellphone bills, cigarettes, magazine subscriptions, etc...
    These are all very similar expenses, around 15 dollars a month. However, I spend way more time on ESO than on anything else. So I don't think 15 dollars is that much compared to the time spent on the service.

21 Days played, that's almost 1 week/month spent online. This is diminishing over time for obvious reasons.
  • Animus0724
    Animus0724
    ✭✭✭
    An MMORPG is a ever growing, developing, ongoing project, $15 you pay a month goes too...

-Overhead
    -New content development
    -Staff salary
    -Server maintenance
    -Power bill
    -etc...

also SAY NO TO F2P!!!

as far as endgame goes, remember this is still a newly release MMO, give it time to grow into something good before you start bitching about $15 a month your parents probably pay...if you feel it is too much, there are plenty of F2P games out there that might serve your interest a bit better.
    Edited by Animus0724 on June 24, 2014 12:16PM
    I take pride in being an incredibly smart dumb ass, or an incredibly dumb smart ass, either way I'm awesome.

-The Art Of Warfare (T.A.W.)
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play the whole game (and there's lots of it), I don't worry about the endgame or factor that in at all when making my decisions.
    And of course, there at many more reasons why pay-to-play is desirable (and understandable from a provider point of view) over free-to-play.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you justify paying twice or more than that to go and see ONE movie per month, let alone the cost for dinner that night and any other expenditures for the day. ESO is my entertainment and $15/mo is an absurdly low amount to spend monthly on entertainment, period.
  • kitsinni
    kitsinni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »
    OP plays the game so much that he finishes everything, and then acts like he got ripped off... K. Crying about a game that you just spent more time on than all girls in your life combined.

At this point to not have basically been through everything you either average an hour every couple days or you are just very bad at the game.
  • Coggage
    Coggage
    ✭✭✭✭
    not trying to troll or anything...
    Some people try to use that as a convenient fig-leaf, hence the overall tone of scepticism in some posts.

If you think 30p per day is an unreasonable amount to pay for entertainment you must be living in a shanty town somewhere. Back in the days of EQ1, in 1999, it cost the same amount then to sub to the game as it does to sub to ESO today. I wish beer cost the same as it did fifteen years ago! :D
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Easy. I am not some broke kid living in my mom's basement, or a recent grad working at McDonald's, or any other dead end situation.

I like the game.

I pay for access to their on line servers so that I can chat with and play the game with others.

I am also mature enough to understand that this game is >6 months old, not 2, 5, or 10 years old with massive amounts of content already released.

I fully understand, and I am completely aware, that players/users will always devour content faster than companies can release it.

No previous TES game had "end game" content, so I am perfectly capable of living with the fact that this game doesn't either.

I didn't rush to level cap in the hopes of cramming the entire experience into my first months game time just so I could rage quit when I found that there was no "end game" content that I already knew wasn't there.

If you are not happy with the game, unsub and come back in a year.

Go play Mario Kart 8, or check out the Steam Summer Sale and spend $15 on a few games there that you can play instead of complaining about a >6 month old game that doesn't have "end game content".

• ssfiit
    ssfiit
    ✭✭✭
    I'd played about 4 hrs of the Beta. I've been playing since launch. Legit, no boosting and no exploit. I play almost everyday @ a couple of hrs a day. I play a lot during the weekend. I do 90% solo. It's been almost 3 months. I am still only V11. I need 2.5m to V12. And I am still on my first toon. Despite the lack of endgame content, and massive grinding. I still enjoy playing this game, sometimes, it's just something to do. I look forward to playing everyday I come home from work. And this will continue.

I am sick of all these players who are complaining. If you dont want to sub, then dont and get the f out. Other than that. It's the only fun game around.

As for the $15 a month. I dont make a lot of money, but I do make enough to pay for this, this is entertainment to me. If you have to question why you are spending $15 a month on some game, then maybe this is not for you or you need to find a new/another job.
    Edited by ssfiit on June 24, 2014 12:17PM
    ssfiit | VR14 | High Elf Vampire Pyro-Sorceress | Aldmeri Dominion | NA Server
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so basically, the vet grind is worth $15 to a lot of you lol, dat content i suppose

but the fact that you call it a grind demonstrates that you do not understand the point.
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »

At this point to not have basically been through everything you either average an hour every couple days or you are just very bad at the game.

I have a job and a fiance.

I think I spend more time here at the forums with my iphone than in the actual game.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on June 24, 2014 12:20PM
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't justify it, £8.99 a month on hours of gaming whenever I want is outrageous.
    Now a trip down to my local pub for a pint and 10 minutes on the old bandit seems to be a much better use of the cash, or...

Or I could buy a Pizza.
    A magazine or two,
    One movie on Sky,
    A 2nd hand DVD,
    Or even a really old 'new' DVD.
    I could buy the kids an ice cream each.
    Half a bottle of Jack.
    A book!
    A taxi into town.
    Nearly a phone top up.

Yes, £8.99 for unlimited gameplay for an entire month is outrageous, I don't know how I could justify it.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Inappropriate Content and Language]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on June 24, 2014 1:06PM