Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

how do you guys justify paying $15 a month?

• b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    15 dollars a month as a charity donation to those incompetent devs at ZOS so they can keep learning how to make an at least working game is a virtue.
  • Montanabum
    Montanabum
    ✭✭
    I have been playing since mid April, I play 6 out of 7 days a week for an average of 4 hours a day and am only now VR5 with one character! I don't know if I am doing something wrong.. I listen to every voice over, do every single quest before moving on to next area etc.. I think 15 bucks a month is a bargain for the hours of entertainment this game gives me. I am constantly amazed at folks running around with multiple VR12 toons.. They must play 24 hours a day or use exploits I think.
  • SaibotLiu
    SaibotLiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Back when the bank bailout happened, I was in the process of making a permanent move outside the US. I had a credit card that had a pretty high limit on it. I maxed it out, $30,000 on nothing but...well the usual things you'd want when you're about to ship out and dont care what happens to your US credit score. I justified this by saying "the banks are evil, they screwed over everyone you know, your parents, your friends, to them you're just a number." Didnt feel the slightest bit bad about it.

But you want me to justify $15...really?

I feel like I spend that much money already when I wake up in the morning and urinate. And that's when I dont flush the toilet.
  • Loligo
    Loligo
    ✭✭
    $15 a month is less than the cost of a trip to the cinema per month.

Question: Do I get as much entertainment from a month of ESO as I do from a trip to the cinema? Answer: yes, and then some.

Conclusion: ESO is worth it at $15 per month.
  • Loligo
    Loligo
    ✭✭
    A bigger and more interesting question than "how do you justify..." would be "why does anyone expect that games should be free?"
  • ynotndalton
    Actually enjoying the game honestly.. thats why i justify it
    And if you've already ran outta stuff to do... omg get a life thats pathetic... with family and life its taken me a week just to hit level 6.. as i'm actually listening to quest lines and exploring and taking my time... something no other mmo has compelled me to do.. the arguement omg theres nothing to do at endgame is ***.. as the game is the route to endgame atm.. its only a couple months old.. give me a break
    Edited by ynotndalton on June 26, 2014 2:47PM
  • nerrollus
    nerrollus
    ✭✭✭
    rotatorkuf wrote: »
    not trying to troll or anything

but game has almost a criminally low amount of actual endgame content at vr12

(not counting the endless zerg pvp i suppose)

sure $15 isn't much to the majority of us

but, other than paying to beta test for consoles

how do you guys justify it?

It's fun, so I don't really have to justify it.

Ragnarok Blackfist - Templar of the Ebonheart Pact
    Ronin Wanderhome - Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact
  • DovahkiinKreiger313
    <p>How bout you try not to rush to v12 like a damn no life and enjoy the game, and if you REALLY don't like it then go away and go play cod, since you can't pay $15 a month.</p>
  • rotatorkuf
    rotatorkuf
    ✭✭✭
    Loligo wrote: »
    A bigger and more interesting question than "how do you justify..." would be "why does anyone expect that games should be free?"

wrong and inappropriate question

why? we buy the game for $60, also, not the point of this thread in regards to being a "free game"

so far the hottest theme is people can play this game for cheaper than they would be entertained at a cinema

followed by people having lives...."i have a life, so i enjoy the 'content', get a life bruh"

followed by pinball

followed by dragon lance covers
    Edited by rotatorkuf on June 26, 2014 3:49PM
  • FunkyBudda
    FunkyBudda
    ✭✭✭
    Evergnar wrote: »
    15$ is cheap cost true.

But there is a problem.

If you play to VET12 with all 3 sides, you end up doing same quests over and over again.

ADD all your alts on the 3 sides and you end up doing even more and more same quests.

Main problem is, quests is the only reasonable way of levelling up in ESO and its a huge problem when you play enuff, at that point one will stop and revisit the question, will i continue to pay 15$ for the same levelling content over and over again as questing is the only way.

We need alternative levelling options, and dungeons is the best option. (see my other post).
    Yep, quests (even the good ones in ESO) have limited replay value. That will always be the case in any game. I think dungeons would be a good place holder for now but do hope Zos continues to develop PvP/Cyrodiil which was always their main focus for endgame imo.

the fact is other games have more ways to level up then force you to play the way ESO has done for the VR contents, and PvP are only active very few campaigns, most I can ride around not need to worry about being ganked.

• Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    best part about this game is crafting so far

except the stupid amount of yellow upgrade mats needed for each legendary piece....even with the expertise passive its 8 wtfmate

Well, @rotatorkuf‌ it's a LEGENDARY item... If anything they're too easy to obtain.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Armianlee
    Armianlee
    ✭✭✭
    Thulsola wrote: »

A 2 hour movie costs $15. I play, on average, 25 to 30 hours a week of ESO. $15 a month is cheep at twice the price.

Let's not give them any ideas now, okay?
    Basic circle of complaints on ESO Forums:
    1) Users: Fix game/class/bug
    2) Zenimax Online: Brings servers down and fixes issues and deploys patches.
    3) Users: OMG SERVERS ARE DOWN!!!!!
    4) Zenimax Online: Brings servers back up!
    5) See 1)

VR10 Sword and Board Templar (Heavy Armour), Ebonheart Pact
    LVL 25 Sorcerer, Daggerfall Covenant
    LVL 28 DK, Ebonheart Pact
    LVL 15 Nightblade, Altmari Dominion
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch who your talking to, I'm an imperial, I'd pay $€£60 a month just to keep peasants from being around me....take my money and stop breathing already.....

Oh and since we are going all Futurama.....I were heavy armor....so I can honestly say..."Bite my Shiny metal % ₩&"....
    Edited by NadiusMaximus on July 3, 2014 9:09PM
  • Shiroro
    Shiroro
    ✭✭✭
    Too much money gotta spend it on something ;_;

Main reasons: Being able to interact with people in a world you feel you're a part of and the anticipation that awesome fun is coming soon.

Things are moving in the right direction so there's hope.
  • Kulthax
    Kulthax
    ✭✭✭
    How do you justify cable/satellite TV? How do you justify eating out? How do you justify gas for your car? How do you justify anything that is not a necessity to life?

This is a first world problem kind of post. :)
  • edwar368
    edwar368
    ✭✭
    As others have said in different ways, the cost "per hour" for this entertainment is cheaper than almost any other entertainment around
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Works out to about 15c an hour for me. Ummm, that's not much, and I'm a poor old man living on a pension.
  • Madval
    Madval
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the question... Justifying what ?.. I don't think about it I pay so I can access and play this fabulous game. Goodbye :)
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loligo wrote: »

The game was not free it cost me £49.99.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    how do you people get to VR12 so fast?? lol. if you did not cheat and/or power grind, idk how you got to VR12 so fast. it took me almost 2 months just to reach VR4:/ and that was without alts
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    NookyZooky wrote: »
    how do you people get to VR12 so fast?? lol. if you did not cheat and/or power grind, idk how you got to VR12 so fast. it took me almost 2 months just to reach VR4:/ and that was without alts

right? this isn't exactly the game you rush to the end in (even tho they will) I'm almost v2 with 20 days played and I play almost every day.
  • tom.danhelb16_ESO
    I take it as a charity since I can't play the game for more than week now due to the memory leak issues causing 5fps in PVP and PVE for me. Have a burger on me Zenimax devs.
  • Shpongle
    Shpongle
    I couldn't, so I canceled.
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play roughly 3-4 hours per day if able, usually at least 2 hours per day. I have a full time job and a family, and I'm still able to get that gametime in without sacraficing other aspects in my life.

Now, let's take an average of 3 hours per day played (realistically it would be higher as I usually get a few more hours on weekends). Over the course of one month, 30 days, that's 90 hours of game time for 15$.

Now look at other forms of common entertainment:

Going out to the movies:
    Roughly 20$ for a couple, movies usually last approximately 2 hours. This comes out to 10$ per hour spent on entertainment.
    At 90 hours of entertainment, that's 900$.

Going to a game arcade:
    If you play roughly 10 games in an hour, at 1$ average per game, that's 10$ per hour spent on entertainment. More if it's more than one person.
    at 90 hours of entertainment, that's 900$.

Going to laser tag:
    Usually about one hour for 15$.
    At 90 hours of entertainment, that's $1,350.

Going bowling:
    Around two hours for 10$.
    At 90 hours of entertainment, that's 450$.

Renting Movies from redbox:
    1$ per day per movie. Assuming you watch things immediately and return them, it's costing you about 0.50$ per hour.
    at 90 hours of entertainment: 45$

Come up with any scenario you want, MMO's at 15$ per month are one of the absolute cheapest forms of entertainment available. Sure, this game is not perfect, but no game will be and I know that the devs are working hard to get this game where it should be. I know that because I've spoken to them one on one.

There were far worse bugs in pre-cu SWG, vanilla WoW, SW:TOR, DC:UO, EVE online, so on and so forth, and those took even longer for developers to solve.

Out of all the MMO's on the market right now, this is the closest to pre-cu SWG I've seen. I LOVED pre-CU SWG. This game isnt identical by any means, it's far more themepark than sandbox, but it still has more of an open, off-rails feel than any other popular mmo on the market right now (at least that i've seen).

I happily pay my 15$ per month knowing that this game has amazing potential, and that once the kinks are worked out it will be a triple-A mmo. I have fun regardless of the bugs, though they can be frustrating at times, and I enjoy playing the game with other TES fans.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • AngryWolf
    AngryWolf
    ✭✭✭
    $15.00 is peanuts. I don't even noticed it's gone, I'll play till I no enjoy playing, cancel and move on. Now if was $30.00 a month, I would agree on the justification with the game in it's current state.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't know about the endgame content at vr12. I haven't had one character that made it to veteran rank yet. Period.

I justify paying for the gameplay I'm enjoying. For $15 I'm still exploring, finding new things in the game, and having a ball. I haven't run into any game breaking bugs yet; a few bugs I have found and reported have been patched. I'm sure others will be, since they are still patching the game.

I can't really tell you how long I've been playing, across 8 characters, but its more than 20 hours.

Wolfenstein the New Order is $39.99 [Amazon], and lasts about 20 hours.

One Wolfenstein, or 2 and half months of ESO? Its a personal preference thing; if you are enjoying yourself, the game isn't expensive. If you don't like the game and aren't enjoying yourself, then it isn't worth it.

• Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering most if not all developers cut back on customer service expenses, GM presence and true live events in-game, I'd be willing to pay even more to get all that back again.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Eylith
    Eylith
    ✭✭✭
    Shiroro wrote: »
    Too much money gotta spend it on something ;_;

@Shiroro‌

I'm sure we could find an arrangement :3

Edited by Eylith on July 4, 2014 1:25PM
    "Discuter avec un troll, c’est comme essayer de jouer aux échecs avec un pigeon. Tu as beau être très fort aux échecs, il arrive, renverse les pièces, chie sur l’échiquier et s’en va avec l’air supérieur comme s’il avait gagné." - Anonyme