Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Should add-ons be allowed?

• Carnage2K4
    Carnage2K4
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm divided, I love simple addons like the hotkey addon for quickslots, could not live without it particularly as an alchemist who uses many potions in battle.

But if it's the addon functions that allow Bots to do what they do, zipping around at high speed and warping directly to mats, then ***... I would prefer addon functions be destroyed to save us from that menace...
    Human Infant Connoisseur
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. They're part of what makes this game great.
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    Lol the day I stream on Youtube and get "caught" using an add-on that lets me see my research timer on-screen and called out for cheating and banned from ESO.... will never happen. Beause it's not cheating.

Yes, using examples that are clearly not cheats means there is no addon cheats.

"rolleyes"

"rolleyes" - cause I'm 12 again.

I never said there were no addons that didn't let you cheat. Quit deliberately ignoring the parts where I said those should be banned. I am defending addons because most of them are useful and do not exploit the game The 1% of these addons that do let you cheat or whatever you consider cheating, which is a bit laughable and naive, should be removed. You want to remove 99% of the useful addons because of the small 1% of bad addons.

Your examples of cheating in addons, ie botting/automation, should be banned. i'm not disagreeing with you. What I disagree with is the notion that letting you see your damage output or oh no, I have my crafting timer on screen, should be grouped along with the exploiting addons is naive. Because being able to see how many hours I have left on researching a trait or how much gold I have, features that are enabled with the use of an add-on, is somehow unfair to other players, is laughable.
    Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 01:14
    Sienna Nightsky | Aldmeri Dominion | Nightblade Woodelf
  • Teverus
    Teverus
    ✭✭
    Sunrock wrote: »
    The main reason way having add-ons is a bad idea is that the quality of the game performance will be less. With that I mean add-ons usually create more bugs, more lag and what not for the user. Having a high quality UI with allot of options for personal prefrences like they did for SWTOR is allot better way to ensure the quality of the game experience for every one is high quality.

And yes so add-ons layers too many advantages. Like those that show on the map where every skyshard and lorebook is. Just to mention two.

If you honestly believe that a competitive game is supposed to just rely on you stumbling willy-nilly across things as important as skillpoints and lorebooks, I have to disagree with the entire premise of your logic.

You were meant to look these things up. That is a flaw, but they honestly probably just figured someone would make a mod for it, which is what happened. If you play elder scrolls games at all, the developer response to things that players want or are frustrated with is often "There's a mod out there that does that for you, let the community provide it for you."

• Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i find it ammusing you guys trying desperately to keep your cheating add-on's. but this isnt wow and eventually the es add-on community will find your cheats and you will be exposed. coming to the forums to help defend addons isnt going to help you when your busted in videos for the cheats you have that i have witnessed on utube and heard about from friends.
    your days are numbered. but by all means keep on the path your on because it's only a matter of time till atleast a few are discovered. smae thing with the exploits.

What cheating add-ons? You mean the ones that Zenimax currently allow? Are you saying they condone cheating?

What the hell are you guys talking about? Seriously...
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from letting you see things like skyshards or lorebooks on the map.. what exactly do you think addons can do that are cheats? And why do you think any addons use game exploits? Examples, please.

The addon api is very limited. Basically everything you see a bot doing, is not possible with the current addon api.
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 01:18
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. They give players too many advantages/disadvantages.
    cause I'm 12

Your words, not mine. :D
    I never said there were no addons that didn't let you cheat.

No you just mock the idea by saying "research timer on-screen" is not a cheat.

Like anyone claimed it was.
    Quit deliberately ignoring the parts where I said those should be banned.

If you agree, then why are you fighting me?
    I am defending addons because most of them are useful and do not exploit the game

I agree most don't. I never said most did.
    The 1% of these addons that do let you cheat or whatever you consider cheating, which is a bit laughable and naive, should be removed.

So, it's laughable and naive, yet you agree. Go figure.
    You want to remove 99% of the useful addons because of the small 1% of bad addons.

I never said that.

Are you fighting with the wrong person? :)
    Edited by Blackwidow on 22 May 2014 01:16
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭

Apparently someone who doesn't know the difference between a mod and addon. And thinks googling the location of a skyshard is cheating. So there was my first mistake. Good luck in your endeavors ;)

Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 01:19
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Apparently someone who doesn't know the difference between a mod and addon.

Yourself?
  • Carnage2K4
    Carnage2K4
    ✭✭✭✭
    cause I'm 12

Your words, not mine. :D
    I never said there were no addons that didn't let you cheat.

No you just mock the idea by saying "research timer on-screen" is not a cheat.

Like anyone claimed it was.
    Quit deliberately ignoring the parts where I said those should be banned.

If you agree, then why are you fighting me?
    I am defending addons because most of them are useful and do not exploit the game

I agree most don't. I never said most did.
    The 1% of these addons that do let you cheat or whatever you consider cheating, which is a bit laughable and naive, should be removed.

So, it's laughable and naive, yet you agree. Go figure.
    You want to remove 99% of the useful addons because of the small 1% of bad addons.

I never said that.

Can you provide an example of a "cheat" addon?
    So we can know what type of addon you are actually talking about.
    Human Infant Connoisseur
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    http://www.techterms.com/definition/addon

Please read.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently someone who doesn't know the difference between a mod and addon.

Yourself?

Nah, I know the difference between something that modifies gameplay and something that merely uses built in developer supported API to present information that is already there.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Carnage2K4 wrote: »

I think the minimap is a cheat. Is shows players where the nodes are for crafting materials.

There is a skill tree you can put points into that help you find these, but the minimap makes these points useless and the minimap works better than the skill line.
    Edited by Blackwidow on 22 May 2014 01:51
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say yes to addons, but I think they should be approved in order to be used.
  • Carnage2K4
    Carnage2K4
    ✭✭✭✭

I think the compass is a cheat. Is shows players where the nodes are for crafting.

There is a skill tree you can put points into that help you find these, but the compass makes these points useless and the compass works better than the skill line.

"The compass"?
    what the in game compass that ZOS put in? Or you mean a downloadable addon? with, you know... A link to a DL?
    Human Infant Connoisseur
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭

As definitions go, they can vary. Also, I wouldn't really rely on the definition on Tech Terms when it comes to mmo addons.
    I think the compass is a cheat. Is shows players where the nodes are for crafting.

Addons cannot detect crafting nodes. All they can do is to add custom map pins on the map with an option for the compass to point there. Basically, possible spawn locations as noted by players.

Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 01:28
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"The compass"?
    what the in game compass that ZOS put in? Or you mean a downloadable addon? with, you know... A link to a DL?

Sorry, meant minimap.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭

There is a skill tree you can put points into that help you find these, but the compass makes these points useless and the compass works better than the skill line.

"The compass"?

He's referring to the addons like Lorebooks or Skyshards that will show you the locations of these things on a map or minimap.
    Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 01:27
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

As definitions go, they can vary. Also, I wouldn't really rely on the definition on Tech Terms when it comes to mmo addons.

My point is, the words are synonyms.

People interchange them all the time.

Addons, mods, extensions, add-ins, plugins, etc.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The default UI wasn't created bare bones in order to satisfy purests. It was intentionally bland in order to facilitate addons so that we could customize it our own way.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alphashado wrote: »
    The default UI wasn't created bare bones in order to satisfy purests. It was intentionally bland in order to facilitate addons so that we could customize it our own way.

I'm sorry, but you are completely wrong.

It was not created bare bones in the first place. It had all the bells and whistles most MMOs have.

Over the year in beta, ESO purists kept complaining it was too much like an MMO.

MMO players cried they still want the options.

ZOS took the options out of the game and said we could have mods.

True story.
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This game would not be functional for me without the 55 addons I run.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love when people click LOL on my posts because it means they lost the argument and have nothing else to back up their point. :)
  • Carnage2K4
    Carnage2K4
    ✭✭✭✭

"The compass"?

He's referring to the addons like Lorebooks or Skyshards that will show you the locations of these things on a map or minimap.

Ummm... how are they related to crafting?

"The compass"?

Sorry, meant minimap.

Ok... so.. I'm not really seeing how thats an issue with crafting... also asking for an example, and getting an answer like "the minimap, helps with crafting" starts to make me think you don't really know what you're talking about.
    Human Infant Connoisseur
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok... so.. I'm not really seeing how thats an issue with crafting... also asking for an example, and getting an answer like "the minimap, helps with crafting" starts to make me think you don't really know what you're talking about.

Wow. I'll repeat it.

I think the minimap is a cheat. Is shows players where the nodes are for crafting materials.

There is a skill tree you can put points into that help you find these, but the minimap makes these points useless and the minmap works better than the skill line.

You don't see the connection between crafting materials and crafting?
    Edited by Blackwidow on 22 May 2014 01:50
  • Teverus
    Teverus
    ✭✭

I don't think I have skin in this game, but just to clarify, I do believe he's talking about the harvestmap mod.

• magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    I love when people click LOL on my posts because it means they lost the argument and have nothing else to back up their point. :)

Or they think the disconnect between having a minimap that shows crafting nodes is equal to cheating is hilarious ;)

I'll just agree to disagree. Your notion of cheating is a lot different than most people here. That's the issue. I like having a search function in the guild store. I like seeing my experience bar on screen. I like being able to remove certain UI features. It would be a sad day if this ability was removed because of a few bad addons and whatever you deem to be unfair to other players.
    Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 01:53
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Or they think the disconnect between having a minimap that shows crafting nodes is equal to cheating is hilarious ;)

I'll just agree to disagree. Your notion of cheating is a lot different than most people here. That's the issue.

Giving an edge in the game that should not be there is a cheat. Plain and simple.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭

Wow. I'll repeat it.

There is a skill tree you can put points into that help you find these, but the minimap makes these points useless and the minmap works better than the skill line.

You don't see the connection between crafting materials and crafting?

It shows possible spawn locations, not active nodes. You could run to each of those icons on the map and not find a single thing if you are unlucky. Addons do not, and can not do the same things as, for example tracking skills in wow.

Each of those compass pins are there because players gathered the locations manually. The addon does not in any way somehow magically pull the locations of every single node in the game.

Personally I don't like using harvestmap because it clutters up the map.

Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 01:54
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except the minimap doesn't show where the nodes are for crafting unless you have discovered them already.

It makes a note of where it is when you loot it and given how small the minimap is and how often the nodes respawn and how many there are at a given time on a map, the addon would clutter the map so most people don't even have the icons turned on. Also, it doesn't show whether or not the node on the map is actually up.

So yeah, it'll show you where the nodes are IF you already discovered them and it doesn't differentiate on whether it is currently available or not.

At this point you're pretty much arguing for the sake of arguing.
    I can do the exact same thing the addon does with a website of the map running on my second monitor or my laptop or a print out the map and keep it on my desk.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on 22 May 2014 01:55
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you could import the locations from ESOhead, but still each and every of those pins are there because people recorded those locations and uploaded them to esohead.