Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Should add-ons be allowed?

• cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. They're part of what makes this game great.
    Blackwidow wrote: »
    Not alot.

Which ones then? Name them. If you can't, then just admit it.

I'll take a lack of answer as admission also.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    Not alot.

Which ones then? Name them. If you can't, then just admit it.

I'll take a lack of answer as admission also.

The only 2 things he's come up with are things that may allow automation/botting (and cites WoW, which as someone pointed out actually used 3rd party software, not supported addons) and harvest/skyshard/lorebook nodes. Both weak arguments. That and saying there is no difference between a mod and addon as if it changes anything.
    Sienna Nightsky | Aldmeri Dominion | Nightblade Woodelf
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they add the chance of player to customize their UI (and lots of other stuff) and at the end it's a player choice to use them or not.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    By your logic, if i play through the game, and create maps of my own with a pencil and paper, showing lore books and sky shards, you'd consider it cheating, lol.

No, only if you go to a website to get that information.

There is no difference.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 02:24
  • OmarComin
    OmarComin
    ✭✭
    Whoa, for a second there I thought I had gone back in time and it was March 2014 all over again, thanks for the nostalgic trip, OP.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. They give players too many advantages/disadvantages.
    So if someone created a website that mapped all the nodes, that is fine, but not an addon that just pulls up a similar map?

If someone found out the information ingame, they can do what they want with it.

However, going to a website to get ingame information is cheating.
    Oh wait but I have dual monitors. So I can play the game and have that website map up at the same time. So, now would I be cheating or not by your strange logic?

What?

I'm not sure if you mean you are making a website or looking up information on the website.

• tylarthb16_ESO
    tylarthb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I voted no, simply on the basis that most add-ons should really be functions in the game UI already, things like mini maps, and moving elements of UI, combat log etc. Functions and utility that is available is other MMOs who don't have to resort to or support add-on. I understand the history of the single player games and their support for mod communities. But being single player the mods have no impact on other players. In an MMO esp PVP and addition data or info available is an advantage.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if someone created a website that mapped all the nodes, that is fine, but not an addon that just pulls up a similar map?

If someone found out the information ingame, they can do what they want with it.

Oh wait but I have dual monitors. So I can play the game and have that website map up at the same time. So, now would I be cheating or not by your strange logic?

What?

I'm not sure if you mean you are making a website or looking up information on the website.

So if i play through the game once, and then on my next playthrough use a website to help with lore books/addons. I'm cheating. Yeah i'm sorry m8 but that makes no sense. It must be hell playing a video game where you believe everyone is a cheater but you.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 02:26
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The botting claim is such bull. The addon architecture does not allow for botting. Botting will still work if they disabled all addons tomorrow.

And the other example is no different than looking up information on a website. Which game encyclopedia mods have been around multiple games and not one has considered it cheating.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I voted no, simply on the basis that most add-ons should really be functions in the game UI already, things like mini maps, and moving elements of UI, combat log etc. Functions and utility that is available is other MMOs who don't have to resort to or support add-on.

Exactly.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    The botting claim is such bull. The addon architecture does not allow for botting. Botting will still work if they disabled all addons tomorrow.

Exactly. This is not an addon issue.
  • Catsocks
    Catsocks
    ✭✭
    Oh I see Blackwidow is still trying to beat that drum that addons = cheating/botting. It's like it's last month and they still don't know basic programming.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    I voted no, simply on the basis that most add-ons should really be functions in the game UI already, things like mini maps, and moving elements of UI, combat log etc. Functions and utility that is available is other MMOs who don't have to resort to or support add-on. I understand the history of the single player games and their support for mod communities. But being single player the mods have no impact on other players. In an MMO esp PVP and addition data or info available is an advantage.

Thank you for an actual sensible post from the "no" side. I disagree, but that doesn't really matter.
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 02:29
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Catsocks wrote: »
    Oh I see Blackwidow is still trying to beat that drum that addons = cheating/botting. It's like it's last month and they still don't know basic programming.

Nope. Not at all, but you guys keep trying to put words in my mouth. Doing a hell of a job so far.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭

Nope. Not at all, but you guys keep trying to put words in my mouth. Doing a hell of a job so far.

How is it words in your mouth when you've said over and over you think certain addons are cheating?
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

So skyshard maps on websites and quest walk-throughs are cheating to you?

And you saying it is cheating, does not make it so. That is purely your incorrect opinion. The game company decides what is cheating, and there is not one game company out there that has ever considered mods like that cheating.

Game quest walk-throughs have been around for over a decade. Again not one game company has ever considered them cheating. None.

Again you don't get to decide what is cheating. ZOS and other game companies do, and they don't agree with you. You saying it is in your opinion, doesn't make it so.

So other than those absolutely ridiculous examples, what have you got?

• Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Put not but I'm okay with basic ones that allow conveyance of already available stats and information more readily.
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    dr-sheldon-cooper-quotes-and-more-17_zps0142eabb.jpg

Pretty sure I've been conversing with Sheldon Cooper all night.
    Edited by Reignskream on 22 May 2014 02:36
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So I'll take your not providing any other specific addons as your admission to not knowing any that actually allow people to cheat (because there aren't any, not that you care).
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    So the decades of online game guides which no game company has ever considered cheating, ever, is cheating to you.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Unless someone comes up with something new, I'd say there isn't much more to discuss in this thread. If Blackwidow considers looking up skyshard/lorebook/etc locations online (or use an addon to do the same), fine. And that whole, mod/addon thing.. we've been over that, let's just agree to disagree.

So.. anything new?
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 02:38
  • Catsocks
    Catsocks
    ✭✭

I don't have to put words in your mouth, you're doing a fine job telling everyone how you feel in this thread.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    Unless someone comes up with something new, I'd say there isn't much more to discuss in this thread. If Blackwidow considers looking up skyshard locations online (or use an addon to do the same), fine. And that whole, mod/addon thing.. we've been over that, let's just agree to disagree.

So.. anything new?

God you're so thickheaded, you just don't get it
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Unless someone comes up with something new, I'd say there isn't much more to discuss in this thread. If Blackwidow considers looking up skyshard locations online (or use an addon to do the same), fine. And that whole, mod/addon thing.. we've been over that, let's just agree to disagree.

So.. anything new?

Wait, what?

• magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭

So.. anything new?

Wait, what?

I'm joking ;) He called me thickheaded.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So skyshard maps on websites and quest walk-throughs are cheating to you?

Yes.

By dictionary standards "improper access to answers." is cheating.

I'm not saying people should be banned, but yes it is an addon advantage that people get that others without that addon would not have is cheating, in my opinion.

Yes. It is my opinion information that was meant to be searched for, out in the world as an adventure or quest like event should not be given.

I'm allowed to have this opinion, even if you disagree. :)

You can say I'm wrong and that is just fine. I think you are wrong.

Agree to disagree.
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Agree to disagree.

Again YOU don't get to decide that. The decades acceptance by the games industry, and the games themselves do.

And I never said you aren't allowed that opinion. I said you aren't allowed to state it as fact, which you have. You can say the Earth is flat as far as I care. That doesn't make you right.

The game companies get to make that decision. And they don't agree.

Edited by cliveklgb14_ESO on 22 May 2014 02:44
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agree to disagree.

Again YOU don't get to decide that. The decades acceptance by the games industry, and the games themselves do. And they say it isn't.

I can't decide what my opinion is?

ROFLMAO! :D
  • cliveklgb14_ESO
    cliveklgb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Agree to disagree.

Again YOU don't get to decide that. The decades acceptance by the games industry, and the games themselves do. And they say it isn't.

I can't decide what my opinion is?

ROFLMAO! :D

That isn't what I said at all. That you have to dishonestly try to play that. Says a lot about you.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    There have always been two sides to what's considered cheating. There have always been people who consider "looking up walkthroughs/maps/whatnot" to be cheating and there always will be. It's simply a matter of opinion. Yes, looking up skyshard locations online or using an addon to do it might be considered "cheating" but it's still something that is accepted, both by developers and gamers in general.

As for advantage, the only difference would be time spent searching when it comes to the skyshard/lorebook/harvestmap addons.
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 22 May 2014 02:53