Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Should add-ons be allowed?

david271749
david271749
✭✭✭✭✭
Please state why you voted yes or no below.
Edited by david271749 on 21 May 2014 23:51

Should add-ons be allowed? 766 votes

Yes. They're part of what makes this game great.
81%
CastleNecroUdyrfryktecozmon3c_ESODCGoth_OTGMallowaylimeli8LywenMablungWintersagekewlCiedoci3luemrld_ESOVuronAttorneyatlawlVileIntentOpioidaneova_ESOpxtc_ESOsweetpeaandjj_ESO 625 votes
No. They give players too many advantages/disadvantages.
18%
HawkeDavornVeeroGwarokGilvothSilowyiItsMeTook9mousebpudoff_ESOkitcat82WhitePawPrintsnerevarine1138Zhoyzuderuddb14_ESOotis67kajirab14_ESOOrangeTheCatAlurriasnowmanflvb14_ESOHoltergeist 141 votes
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, as they are now, on an extremely limited basis.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There should not be a need for addons.

Lazy lazy ZOS.

Also, some addons do blatantly let players cheat.
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I find that they can greatly enhance the playing experience by eliminating game annoyances for example. I do not use addons to cheat. ZOS cannot think of EVERYTHING.

Furthermore, the two options sound kind of dumb. "They're part of what makes this game great."/"They give players too many advantages/disadvantages" do not neccesarily reflect what a person who voted actually thinks. Simple yes/no options would be far better.
    Edited by Blackwolfe5 on 21 May 2014 23:58
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    Blackwidow wrote: »

Lazy lazy ZOS.

Really, this discussion? If that's how you feel, great! But i concur. Addon's are a part of MMO's, and that's all I have to say about that.
    Edited by Reignskream on 21 May 2014 23:59
  • Rocksteady
    Rocksteady
    ✭✭✭
    I vote indifference as long as they're limited a little so people can't get too crazy with them. One example being in WoW, most people expect you to have certain addons to do your job. A customizable UI should be where it ends in my opinion but I don't bother with them either way.
    "Their stupidity does not amaze me, its when they're smart that amazes me. It's baffling whenever you find someone who's smart — incredible. Soon you'll have zoos for such things." -Frank Zappa
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭

Lazy lazy ZOS.

Oh brother, I knew it wouldn't be long before we had one of these doomsday "addons are the devil" players. They make their way into every game (they beat Bioware in SWTOR, then it went free to play, no surprise there). Addons don't pose a problem, and if they really do "allow players to blatantly cheat" then ZSO will ban them, simple as that.

It's really not fair to remove addons, a critical feature implemented into the game just because you think they shouldn't have it. It makes the game customizable and more user friendly.
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Some should. Some shouldn't.
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course they should be allowed since Zenimax themselves can't add standard MMORPG features we're all used too.

I'm not a fan of the stripped barebones feel that other people like here but that's fine they enjoy that type of game play, it's nice to have OPTIONS....
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really, this discussion? If that's how you feel, great! But i concur.

That means you agree. :)
    Addon's are a part of MMO's, and that's all I have to say about that.

I agree.

That does not mean they should all be allowed. Some are cheats.
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    Of course they should be allowed since Zenimax themselves can't add standard MMORPG features we're all used too.

Everyone has different preferences as to how they like the game set up (i.e: action bars, health bars, nameplates etc). I personally think the game is communist, and much harder to play without any form of fluid customization like addons.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course they should be allowed. It frees up the developers from having to develop the UI and it's functions and allows players a bit of customization. I'd prefer it if they lifted the API restrictions they put in place after one of the betas though.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on 22 May 2014 00:05
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • stabbykitteh
    stabbykitteh
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't directed at OP or anyone in particular but, I've never understood the superiority complex some have because they won't / don't use mods of any kind. It exists in the SP games as well. If you choose not to, great. If you choose to, great. ES games have been designed to be modded for a long time now. It's a sort of tradition, and it's functionality added by the devs so people can personalize their games (and show the devs what features might be popular in the future).

Also, I'm really not sure what advantage something like Khajiit Speak gives me over other players.
    Edited by stabbykitteh on 22 May 2014 00:08
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason way having add-ons is a bad idea is that the quality of the game performance will be less. With that I mean add-ons usually create more bugs, more lag and what not for the user. Having a high quality UI with allot of options for personal prefrences like they did for SWTOR is allot better way to ensure the quality of the game experience for every one is high quality.

And yes so add-ons layers too many advantages. Like those that show on the map where every skyshard and lorebook is. Just to mention two.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course they should be allowed. It frees up the developers from having to develop the UI and it's functions and allows players a bit of customization. I'd prefer it if they lifted the API restrictions they put in place after one of the betas though.

ROFLMAO! :D

Yes, I agree. ZOS is lazy.

If single players can make mods for the game, I'm sure ZOS' army of programmers handle the little work it would take to add these simple user friendly features.
  • Loco_Mofo
    Loco_Mofo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the bare minimum UI we have here, I say absol-ducking-lutely!
  • notepad
    notepad
    ✭✭
    Yes, but some functions may need to be limited. Anything that allows exploting, botting/automation, flying, walking through walls or anything along those lines should be curtailed.
  • Xilc
    Xilc
    ✭✭✭

ROFLMAO! :D

Yes, I agree. ZOS is lazy.

If single players can make mods for the game, I'm sure ZOS' army of programmers handle the little work it would take to add these simple user friendly features.

Lol, they don't have an "army of programmers" dude. They're a small gaming company, they don't have 200 programmers working day in and day out on one thing (say addon compatibility and universality). It's not easy creating an entire online game.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeap , addons make a lot of things much easier to me.

In the end , there are TONS of addons , each of us pick and use different ones that make the game better to US , which could not be the same to others, so chances are zen would not create them.

And nah , zen got many programmers , but by far they dont have a higher number there than there are people working on different addons.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xilc wrote: »
    Lol, they don't have an "army of programmers" dude. They're a small gaming company, they don't have 200 programmers working day in and day out on one thing (say addon compatibility and universality). It's not easy creating an entire online game.

They have a MMO. If they don't have the programmers to make simple things that single players can do at home, we are in big trouble.
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭
    Er how do add-ons let people cheat...? Addons are not mods. I think people don't know this difference.

They let you customize settings and UI. They don't give people advantages. They can add features that developers neglected (ie search bar in guild store). If being able to move around and see your healthbar in a different spot on your screen or let you customize keybindings or add a search function is "cheating", then you don't know what cheating is.

If it alters gameplay itself, then yes. That is modding and cheating. Add-ons are not.
    Sunrock wrote: »
    The main reason way having add-ons is a bad idea is that the quality of the game performance will be less. With that I mean add-ons usually create more bugs, more lag and what not for the user. Having a high quality UI with allot of options for personal prefrences like they did for SWTOR is allot better way to ensure the quality of the game experience for every one is high quality.

That is a personal problem. Just because you experience lag with an add-on, it does not mean others can't use the add-on.

Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 00:25
    Sienna Nightsky | Aldmeri Dominion | Nightblade Woodelf
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Er how do add-ons let people cheat...? Addons are not mods. I think people don't know this difference.

Read the thread. There are already examples listed.

Addons, BTW are mods. :)
  • Blackwolfe5
    Blackwolfe5
    ✭✭✭
    notepad wrote: »
    Yes, but some functions may need to be limited. Anything that allows exploting, botting/automation, flying, walking through walls or anything along those lines should be curtailed.

Basically, addons are fine the way they are considering they can not be used to bot/fly/"wallhack"/teleport.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are they needed anyhow?
  • magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭

Read the thread. There are already examples listed.

Addons, BTW are mods. :)

Mods modify game play. Hence the name. Add-ons do not. If an add-on does modify gameplay, then yes, it should be banned. I get the distinction (or lack thereof) you're trying to make, but they are not the same thing.

If you're talking about minimaps and being able to find lorebooks and skyshards with an in-game map - you can easily find that online. If an addon teleports you to a skyshard or whatever, then that's a mod.

EDIT: I read the thread. I see zero examples listed on how add-ons let players cheat.
    Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 00:32
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, addons are fine the way they are considering they can not be used to bot/fly/"wallhack"/teleport.

But the sky is falling. Clearly the restricted API is what's responsible for the current infestation of bots! :wink:

Still amazes me how people confused addons with mods and think that addons have anything to do with the bots. Mind boggling.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on 22 May 2014 00:31

• Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Mods modify game play. Hence the name. Add-ons do not.

Wow.

Addons don't modify the game?

I don't even know what to say.....
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.

Mods alter the game in ways that were not intended.
    Addons unlock API functions that are already present in the game.
    There's a huge difference, they are not the same.

• magic_is_might
    magic_is_might
    ✭✭✭

Wow.

And yet you won't acknowledge the difference or provide examples how it modifies gameplay.

If being able to customize my UI is considered modding and hacking and giving me an unfair advantage, then wow, I don't know what to say.
    Edited by magic_is_might on 22 May 2014 00:34
  • Ryskim
    Ryskim
    ✭✭✭
    No. Addons should not be allowed. Because they shouldnt be needed. And because they open some possibilities for cheating.
    Edited by Ryskim on 22 May 2014 00:36
  • Reignskream
    Reignskream
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really, this discussion? If that's how you feel, great! But i concur.

That means you agree. :)
    Addon's are a part of MMO's, and that's all I have to say about that.

I agree.

That does not mean they should all be allowed. Some are cheats.

Well ya got me on the concur part! LOL, but what i meant was and you know, that i disagree. Nice show of optimism though :D

What you may consider a cheat, is your own opinion. That decision isn't up for you to decide, but you can think however you please, that's the lovely thing about life!

I don't think they're cheating.