The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rollback yes or no

• zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    It does explain some stuff -

Why opening the guild bank usually took forever.

Why many were claiming that there was plenty of money out there - for things like horses and respecs and bank slots.
  • Lonestryder
    Lonestryder
    ✭✭✭
    I don't PvP, so I am not the least bit concerned what some avid PvPers have done to exploit the game (and each other). I see them as a bunch of cannibals that essentially cancel each other out and sometimes amuse me with their antics.

So, no rollbacks, please.
    Edited by Lonestryder on April 18, 2014 6:03PM
  • Arreyanne
    Arreyanne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well let me say this:::

If it will do away with atrocious loading screens after the patch today hell roll the server back to pre release start
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭
    zhevon wrote: »
    It does explain some stuff -

Why opening the guild bank usually took forever.

Why many were claiming that there was plenty of money out there - for things like horses and respecs and bank slots.

Without duping, I've had plenty of money for all those things.
  • DoctorBear
    DoctorBear wrote: »
    DoctorBear wrote: »
    Mufasa wrote: »
    Bluntski wrote: »
    Damia wrote: »
    you can not run a sql script to find dupes, they script can not determen if someone spend hours of harvesting or duped items n 10 seconds.

and yes agree hackers are not hackers because they are easy to find, they have multiple accounts and they dupe items have been moved elsewhere.

_

if you are pissed about loosing a few days of time playing imagine all the games you played and all the hours you lost playing, that's why they are games to enjoy playing, of curse you loose your time on them. imagine how pissed you be in a few months loosing months of time when you hit endgame and realize you cant compete lol..

bottom line , game should never have been released yet, issues need to be fixed asap and some kind of rollback has to happen. or its dead and you can quit and leave it to the dupers and hackers to noob kill like many other games that went down that road
    If the items are in a database, which they most definitely are, there is no reason you cannot run a script. There is an obvious threshold on the amount of items someone has that would make it look suspicious.

Though each item does not have a unique ID. So.... How do you suggest they differentiate duped from legit?

Service request from the server of the creation of said item, perhaps? As in, where it originated from and where the player first received it to their inventory. I think there's an addon for ESOheads (I believe, though i may be wrong) that tracks where you receive items on the map, etc to fill up their database of items and books. I see no reason why the Staff cannot do the same, if not even more detailed, and in a more invasive manner.

Do you know how many millions of items they would have to check? Do you know how many were traded and how many people would come here asking for their legally purchased items back, even if they could erase them? Do you know how many of these items have been consumed by crafting, REFINING, or used to level up and max out skills?

Wake up people. It is NOT going to happen. Anyone who says otherwise is either a duper or a dreamer.

So long as the original exploiters are banned, this is just a side-bonus. I'd hoped you know my viewpoint on this if you've been keeping up with the thread. That being said, like i have said before, these kinds of matters where items were sold or traded to innocent players who were effected by the exploit could be handled on a case by case basis. Would it take a while? Yes. But for those in situations where it's a simple case (for example, who still have the item and need only be compensated for the gold traded and nothing more) it would be fixed quite easily. And that is in fact, a lot of people, i would hazard to guess. Neither of us however know the answer to any of those questions you've raised, only the Staff may, and so i would appreciate it if you do not act as if we are the defining direct factor of what Staff decides to do. This is for discussion's sake, regardless of what we want, Staff will make their own decision.

We are not but don't underestimate the power of the customers.

As for the exploiters getting banned, it may happen, but imagine if a group of 100 people had an account for duping, did their dirty work with the account and that was it. Anyway, time for a break.

There are ways to track local network usage and if accounts are being accessed from familiar or common networks, barring I.P scramblers and VPNs but those can only get you so far. Secondary accounts are things that can easily be tracked, specially in a game where you are required to register through a code, and to access your thirty days you have to provide credit/debit card and billing information.

Anyway, have fun with your break, i was temporarily distracted and ended up responding to this quite late.
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If we had a rollback every time there was an exploit we would have "first day in ESO" every few weeks. :D
  • revanghost
    revanghost
    ✭✭✭
    A rollback would be bad news. There are enough unintentional rollbacks in the game already. Losing progress equates to wasting your time.

This is why betas are important, to catch super bugs like this dupe problem which will cause significant issues with the game's economy.
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AstroCat wrote: »
    Otherwise this game is toast.

The game has only been out for a couple weeks. I don't see how anybody can oppose a rollback for the sake of this game's integrity.

Spanking godly vets and other cheats would go over well in this community. From what I've been reading. About this launch.

A rollback wont fix the situation. Those that cheated, will cheat again. Those that didn't cheat, will be thrown back and need to replay the whole progress of the past weeks.

In the end you punish only those who are casuals and legit, while the others will just keep playing and check streamers for new exploits and then do the same stuff again.
  • stefan9
    stefan9
    ✭✭
    No to any rollback. Would hurt us who had zero to do with this. Would be unfair for us to loss days of playing because of what others did.
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Hi folks,

We're trying to get the word out about the action we took today, in regards to this issue. Here's what we've posted in a few other threads:

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly, and have since fixed the issue. We have banned the game account(s) for those who abused the exploit.

We want to thank everyone who reported this issue to us. In the future, should you identify what you think could be an exploitable bug, please send it to us in-game via /help or in our help center: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask
    Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on April 18, 2014 8:58PM
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Dominulf
    Dominulf
    ✭✭✭
    Dominulf wrote: »
    Squishy wrote: »
    Dominulf wrote: »

I know people that have 800 Dreugh Wax. Do you know what that means? Every piece of armor from now until they quit the game will be Legendary Tier for free.

This is BAD.
    Then report them?

You are missing the point. This is much more devastating than one person with 800 Dreugh Wax. Entire guilds were doing this together. Duping hurts legit crafters/harvesters/farmers the most and undermines the integrity of the game on a very deep level.

Unless they're playing dice with their items? No. They need about 20 of those (without perks) to get a 100% crafting chance on an item. That means they have enough for 40 legendary items for free. Sure, they can sink fewer resources into them, and risk destroying the item, chewing up their blue and purple converters. But, 800 Dreugh Wax is not an infinite supply. It sounds good now, but trust me, that crap will go fast.

So one person that I know of for a fact that has 800 Wax is totally ok?
    How badly in denial are you?
    The Elder Scrolls Online - Where the best spells are AoEs and the strongest weapon is a Shield!

"I used to be the most beloved roleplaying series of a generation... but then I took $14.99/mo to the knee."
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. If the server were to be rolled back I would opt for a refund.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be pretty pissed if they rolled back. I don't know what I would do at that point.

But there is plenty of money in the game even doing things legit due to quests. Most of my money comes from npcing stuff, maybe about 6k I've made from selling to other people. The rest has been via NPC and questing. I already have myself a 42k horse. This is also with repairing all my gear rather than swapping out and decon like other people do.
  • Squishy
    Squishy
    ✭✭✭
    Read up people :) no roll back, but massive ban incomming for whoever exploited it seems :D - bonus points if this reveals bots ^_^
    Edited by Squishy on April 18, 2014 8:18PM
    "In 2014, a possible bot was sent to coldharbour by a military GM for a crime she didn't commit. This argonian promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Ebonheart underground. Today, still wanted by the developers she survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a bot problem, if no one else can bite you, and if you can find her....maybe you can hire The SQUISHY."
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    So can we all agree, no roll-back?

I don't want to touch my character until we can confirm this.
  • Bluntski
    Bluntski
    ✭✭
    Hi folks,

We're trying to get the word out about the action we took today, in regards to this issue. Here's what we've posted in a few other threads:

Yesterday, we identified an item duping bug in ESO that some players chose to exploit. We acted quickly, and have since fixed the issue. We have banned the game account(s) for those who abused the exploit.

We want to thank everyone who reported this issue to us. In the future, should you identify what you think could be an exploitable bug, please send it to us in-game via /help or in our help center: https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/ask
    GLORY!
  • elblobbob14_ESO
    elblobbob14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

/app/ask

Really? Yesterday? This item has been reported since beta, and you come here and claim ZOS identified the bug yesterday and acted quickly!!!? Players identified the bug weeks, if not months ago, and you didn't act until the exploit was posted on YouTube. I would rather you just not say anything at all then to come here and assume my ignorance on the issue and pretend you guys are the hero's.

• loops73
    loops73
    ✭✭
    YES..roll it all the way back to launch
  • BionicAir
    BionicAir
    So can we all agree, no roll-back?

I don't want to touch my character until we can confirm this.

I hope not, i'm also not touching my character till i see it confirmed from Zenimax that there's no roll back,
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    Most game's don't do massive roll backs. So you can wait for a "official" response, but I'm going to keep playing. If prior experiences have taught me anything, if the game lasts long enough the items will have dissipated and the market will correct itself.
  • robertlive2014
    robertlive2014
    ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Well, this is the first I've heard about the exploit. The Reddit poster quoted in several online gaming news publication claims this exploit has been in use since launch. Is that true? How widespread was the abuse? How many accounts have been banned for this so far? Something about your choice of wording strikes me as bogus, like you've got your fingers crossed behind your back, not telling us that you have no idea how to find the abusers.
    Edited by ZOS_JessicaFolsom on April 18, 2014 8:59PM
  • robertlive2014
    robertlive2014
    ✭✭✭
    In sports, one of the methods for detecting blood doping is to look at hemoglobin levels in the blood and implement a maximum hemoglobin level. I think this approach should be applied across all player accounts. For example, any player account with a combined value of gold and gear greater than one standard deviation above the mean should be frozen. The same applies to guild banks. It shouldn't be that hard to tell who the cheaters are.
  • hordage
    hordage
    I don't care what kind of game-time they offer as compensation, if there is a rollback, I will be permanently done with this game. It isn't the exploiters faults that this happened, it is Zenimax's fault. This was mentioned before during the beta, this exploit existed, was reported and they did nothing about it. Just like countless other bugs and exploits. And now people are apparently getting random bans. It's just one thing after another. A rollback would be the last straw for me, truly.

I love how they waited until things got to the extreme to do anything.There's also still tons of gold spamming going on, and plenty of other unaddressed gamebreaking bugs out there. This game is basically still in beta.

Edited by hordage on April 18, 2014 9:11PM
  • Dallie
    Dallie
    ✭✭
    crowfl56 wrote: »
    90% of the players don't exploit or abuse this game, ZOS just needs to do something real about the other 10%.

K, so what exactly is duping?? I'm guessing it has something to do with duplication, but of what?
  • Flayedalive
    In sports, one of the methods for detecting blood doping is to look at hemoglobin levels in the blood and implement a maximum hemoglobin level. I think this approach should be applied across all player accounts. For example, any player account with a combined value of gold and gear greater than one standard deviation above the mean should be frozen. The same applies to guild banks. It shouldn't be that hard to tell who the cheaters are.

Sounds like a good plan, but me and many others that never even knew about a dupe bug until we couldn't access our accounts have been suspended. I think all I did with the one guild bank I had access to was drop some spare recipes off during early access.

The only duplicate items I KNOW I have had are the ones I was sent when I got hit with the bank slots bug twice. I have three sets of the collectors edition and pre-order items.
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    When you create a duplicate of an item you own. So if you have rare tempers let's say 10 of them, you can usually duplicate them to create an infinite amount. It's pretty much the video game way of printing money.
  • sonicwylde
    sonicwylde
    Soul Shriven
    Are those of us, like me, who did not use the guild bank, nor duped anything going to get our accounts back? I was playing fine up midnight last night, then tried to log in bout an hour ago and was told my account was suspended. I have no clue why. No I did not use the guild bank, I bought maybe one ninroot off the guild store. Everything my characters have was either crafted, loot drops, from chests. I never had duplicate anything received.

I been waiting for someone to talk to me, or call me, or something.
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of innocent folks were banned - myself included. I didn't even know about the dupe exploit until today while browsing the forums during downtime. I've never even accessed my trading guilds bank, or not sure I have the ability to do so. Yet here I sit banned.

The system needs major work
    I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

• 1111scornneb18_ESO
    zeni had should do 2 week open beta... would have fixed many problems.... i want the rollback, but i no it will never happen
    Edited by 1111scornneb18_ESO on April 18, 2014 9:54PM
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sonicwylde wrote: »
    Are those of us, like me, who did not use the guild bank, nor duped anything going to get our accounts back? I was playing fine up midnight last night, then tried to log in bout an hour ago and was told my account was suspended. I have no clue why. No I did not use the guild bank, I bought maybe one ninroot off the guild store. Everything my characters have was either crafted, loot drops, from chests. I never had duplicate anything received.

I been waiting for someone to talk to me, or call me, or something.

No one will contact you. Head to the top of the page and hit the Support button. Fill out a ticket so they know you have a problem. Otherwise, they think you are happy.

It is entirely possible that your account was hacked and that is why you are banned.
    Edited by Darlgon on April 18, 2014 10:03PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.