The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

** Major Combat Flaw - Animation Canceling/Damage Stacking - Devs Please Look Here **

Kyotee0071
Kyotee0071
✭✭✭
Firstly, I am just sharing this info. I will not take the credit for finding it. Everything I show below will be links from another forum I visit regularly full of awesome players. Most of them have been actively playing MMO's for 15 years plus with extensive experience.

Kutsuu - someone I respect and enjoy their post and videos, went through a lot of hard work to share the info below. He deserves the credit. The Developers should give him a thank you, and a pat on the back. I have no idea how everything listed below made it out of Beta without being fixed.

1) Copy/Paste of the detailed post explaining the flawed combat system that can be easily abused - massive spike damage by firing off 3 abilities in under one second do to animation canceling. This is all from the Night Blade class perspective, but works for any class. There will also be a video showing exactly how it works as well.

You may have heard that ESO does not have a global cooldown, but since it requires animations to finish before the next ability is used, this basically amounts to a GCD. What’s interesting is that there are different “priority levels” with ESO abilities, with some being able to cancel the animations of others while still allowing the cancelled ability to activate. Here’s what I’ve found so far:

Lowest priority:

Light/Heavy Attacks. Activating any ability while using one of these will immediately override the animation and perform the other ability. For this to work on heavy attacks (or presumably any casted ability), you must actually finish most of the “cast time” (not all of it) before casting the activated ability.

Middle ground:

Activated abilities that cost Magicka or Stamina – these will cancel the animations of light/heavy attacks if activated while an animation is in progress. If your active ability has a casting or channeling time, you need to test at what point you can interrupt the animation and still get the full effect of the ability. Some can be cancelled earlier than others.

Highest priority:

Bash. (Known as “Interrupt” in your controls/keybinding settings) This ability will cancel ANY other animation that is in progress and begin its own animation.

Block. Simply “blip” the block button to cancel animations for any ability, even bash! Some cast/channeled abilities can be cancelled at the right time so that the ability still finishes casting and can still get on with your next animation.

Thoughts:

What this ultimately means is that to get the best DPS out of your character, you should be weaving abilities together. For example, always start with a light attack and immediately activate your next magicka/stamina ability. The light attack will still go off, but it won’t play the full animation so you end up gaining DPS. Timing on this can be pretty crucial and the faster you are, the better it will work. The highest DPS would be light>activate>bash on every attack, but this is relatively difficult to pull off in practice, especially repetitively on every attack. light>active, light>bash, active>bash are all very easy to pull off and should be done whenever possible.

Another note is that while Bash does the most damage and costs the least stamina with 1h/s – it will also highly benefit 2h and DW users (even bow/staff users in melee range). As long as your stamina doesn’t run out before the enemy is dead, you will simply do more DPS and kill your opponent faster if you weave in light attack and bash cancels with any weapon type.

Please feel free to test this mechanic with abilities from your own class and let us know what you find.

The Video: - Pay attention to the scrolling combat text on the left during the demos.

My thoughts, We know that Bash with 1 hand and shield set up is extremely overpowered. Now add in the fact you can Light attack +any instant cast ability+ plus bash at the same time by canceling out animations of previous attacks - I'm hoping this is not how the Developers intended the combat system to be.

If I'm wrong. Then disregard this post and move along. Personally, I don't see how this game could be considered to have a serious pvp following if this is the play style the Developers want.

Quotes from other players that have discovered how this can be abused :

"Ever since I saw your video last night Kutsuu ive been thinking about making exaclty this thread, though just not as a advice thread, but more of a “fix or you will ruin this game” thread …

This and the fact that you can block and instacast spells is for me a game ruiner, and havent logged in since cause of disgust :( I really hope they will fix it. But thx for showing it instead of keeping it a secret, that shows good sportsmanship :) "

"If I was invited to the PTS, I’d have posted this thread months ago. I definitely have some questions for PTS testers on mechanics like this one, blocking while performing actions, and bash being so powerful when buffed by the deadly bash passive. It seems like these were either kept quiet, very little effort was put into mentioning them, or somehow they really weren’t discovered. Maybe I’m wrong and they screamed to the heavens that these mechanics/abilities would result in issues and they were ignored. It really didn’t take much effort to figure this stuff out… I was just theorycrafting up “Man, I think 1h/s would be great for my build because of all those passive bonuses to defensive abilities like block and bash” – then once I got the deadly bash passive I started testing bash, and now here we are."

"None of this is particularly hard to pull off effortlessly every single time with out fail…Macros…

This needs to be looked into or it’ll wreck the game."

"I’ve been using a form of this that is slightly different than what is posted here…. (not better). I noticed if i hit block about mid way through my crystal frag cast, I still do the crystal frag spell, but can cancel out of the animation and pull off another attack MUCH quicker. I actually enjoy mechanics like this where precise timing is rewarded. I can understand concerns about macros however.

"Being able to block and use instant cast spells is a big problem, as it creates balance issues for melee builds given that the penalty for being blocked is generally higher. That being said I don’t know how you go about fixing it without making the combat system unbearbly clunky – it is immensely satisfying to be able to ‘catch’ that stupid ‘glaive throw’ ability in the middle of a chaotic fight, and I don’t know that you want to lose that. Maybe if the block cost was moved to initiation and it had to be reset after each block?

As for bash, it probably needs to be changed to only do damage on interrupt. Right now I am running a 2H build, and I could increase my single target damage by switching to sword and board, which is ridiculous. The other problem is that because bash is instant cast, even with a 2H build it is probably your best single target stamina dump so long as cleave is already applied until the execute bonus kicks in, which smacks of design flaw.

End Quote Examples

Also it has been found that bash is triggering things like "siphoning attacks" and other offensive skills. Bash is already a game changer, shouldn't a defensive ability be just that - not a major part of peoples offense builds?

Now are you ready for the "icing on the cake"?

Another Quote from a user that uses a third party program to abuse this combat system..Read it carefully:

"Also, I’m using the amazing program http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/so that bash and weaving skills are firing almost simultaneously through advanced macros."

End Quote:

How does that take any skill at all? Macros that fire off bash and other skills simultaneously? Sounds broken to me.

The things Kutsuu found about the combat system does take some practice and good timing, but it is still very flawed and not hard to pull off.

Offensive animations should finish off before allowing the next offensive ability to go off. The only exception I could think of is if you hit the "block" skill. I can see that cancelling an offensive ability so you can actually block - and the ability should do just that, be canceled and not fire off.

I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

• stryderzz
    stryderzz
    ✭✭✭
    i really really hope they fix this and actually pay attention to this thread or atleast know about this bug and are planning to fix it
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont see how this is a problem. So someone gets the most out of their skills quickly. You do realize they will still run out of magicka and stamina just like anyone else. This really looks like a learn to play issue.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uhh its PvP its was a waste of time before these exploits it will be long after, how are people not understand PvP in all games is a joke its no different here ...sheesh
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    Uhh its PvP its was a waste of time before these exploits it will be long after, how are people not understand PvP in all games is a joke its no different here ...sheesh

Some folks only play to PVP and see PVE as a means to the ends so to speak, to get leveled up to PVP mainly.

I didn't think my hangover was that bad this morning until I spent 10 minutes trying to log into my old Etch-A-Sketch

• stryderzz
    stryderzz
    ✭✭✭
    This really looks like a learn to play issue.

looks more like an abusing global cooldown bug issue
    Edited by stryderzz on April 22, 2014 3:46PM
  • WitchAngel
    WitchAngel
    ✭✭✭
    Better save a copy of your magnificent post before mods delete it.

They will just sweep this under the rug as usual.

DCUO died very very fast because of animation skipping and other cheats. If ZoS doesn't acknowledge these esential flaws immediately, they will bite them hard very soon.

Man up ZoS, admit to your design flaws, and suddenly people will start being on your side. But as long as you live in denial of your flaws, people will be all over you.
    Edited by WitchAngel on April 22, 2014 3:46PM
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    stryderzz wrote: »

There is no global cooldown in this game. That may very well be the problem?

• Reavan
    Reavan
    ✭✭✭

Just because your reactions and thought pasterns suck does not mean PVP in general in every game sucks.
    Keep playing against that challenging scripted ''''AI'''' though.
    Sure is hard.

Bash does need fixed along with a great many things from DK's banner, Vamps ultimate, destro staff 5. Etc Etc.
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is not a bug. It is working as intended.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animation skipping is clearly an exploit, no matter what the trolls or self-proclaimed pro-gamers say. Hopefully this will be fixed.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • WitchAngel
    WitchAngel
    ✭✭✭

Sarcasm, or are you just really good at exploiting this yourself already?
  • stryderzz
    stryderzz
    ✭✭✭
    maybe if they make it so that if you block during an attack the attack does 0 dmg and refunds your mana/stam it'll fix it whille still allowing ppl to block during an emergency, as for the light/heavy attks i'm not sure about maybe just not let the animation be skipped unless you block and it does what i mentioned above
  • stryderzz
    stryderzz
    ✭✭✭
    Kyotee0071 wrote: »

well the OP said that the animations act like their own kind of global cooldown, thats what i meant

• Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WitchAngel wrote: »

No im not being funny or sarcastic. This is a feature i used in DC universe online for years. Many people like yourself complained about it and called it exploiting until the devs said it is working as intended. I also used this same feature in age of conan. Both games had active blocking and active fighting systems. Its part of the package.

Can we have a Dev or Mod, verify this? Thanks.

Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

• DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reavan wrote: »

Just because your reactions and thought pasterns suck does not mean PVP in general in every game sucks.
    Keep playing against that challenging scripted ''''AI'''' though.
    Sure is hard.

Bash does need fixed along with a great many things from DK's banner, Vamps ultimate, destro staff 5. Etc Etc.

Its Thought Patterns e-thug maybe less pvp and more education and you'd know that..

Some folks only play to PVP and see PVE as a means to the ends so to speak, to get leveled up to PVP mainly.

I know sad isn't it..
    Edited by DanteYoda on April 22, 2014 3:57PM
  • Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well the OP said that the animations act like their own kind of global cooldown, thats what i meant
    OP is mistaken by thinking animations are a cooldown. They arent and so this isnt an exploit.
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭

No im not being funny or sarcastic. This is a feature i used in DC universe online for years. Many people like yourself complained about it and called it exploiting until the devs said it is working as intended. I also used this same feature in age of conan. Both games had active blocking and active fighting systems. Its part of the package.

I can not see how being able to run a 3rd party macro to do exactly this "skillful" game play that some folks are claiming is good for the game?

And let's be honest, it's not that "skillful" to pull off with a little practice without a macro.

• Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can not see how being able to run a 3rd party macro to do exactly this "skillful" game play that some folks are claiming is good for the game?

And let's be honest, it's not that "skillful" to pull off with a little practice without a macro.

Name an mmo where people dont use third party macros?
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭

OP is mistaken by thinking animations are a cooldown. They arent and so this isnt an exploit.

Actually I'm not mistaken at all. I know there isn't a global cooldown. But I also think the devs didn't intend for 3 skills to be fired off in a millisecond, nor having animations canceled allowing that to happen.

• Ragnar_Lodbrok
    Ragnar_Lodbrok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They intended so you can block etc. Its an "active" combat system
  • Supersomething
    Supersomething
    ✭✭✭
    Lotro had something like this for a while and still does in some cases where you could string attacks together like that in super quick succession. They kind of changed it in their later expansions with faster paced combat styles, but as far as I know, quick animation overriding attacks in that game still exist there today.

That being said, stringing together three attacks like this in literally a time frame of about 1 second is rather outrageous and should probably be investigated.
    Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.
    Characters
    Tiberius Aulus
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭

Name an mmo where people dont use third party macros?

Actually bro, after 15 years of MMO's now - I'm not aware of any that legally allow you to use 3rd party software to fire off multiple abilities at once.

Macros yes. I used macros extensively in WoW for PVP. Macros for arena targeting, and using modifier keys to bind more than one ability to a key, as well as pet control, weapon swapping, and other things.

Mods yes - but I certainly doubt they would allow mods that fired off your abilities.

I'll just stop responding to this thread and let it play out. If this is the game design they are after, then it's a pretty big let down.

Edited by Kyotee0071 on April 22, 2014 4:19PM

• stryderzz
    stryderzz
    ✭✭✭

he didn't say they were literally global cooldowns or cooldowns at all but they act like them in their own way, as for it being an exploit we don't know this unless ZOS releases a statement.

me personally i'd like to think that the devs didn't design a system where you can just skip all the attacks to get a jumbled mess of attks, but again thats my opinion and preference

• Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given we have invincible vampires and possible veteran level players running around in all gold armour from item duping along with bow users and sorcs being able to kite anything, having an "exploit" (if you want to call it that) which tanks or 1H&S players can use evens the playing field until they either declare everything's working as intended or they fix all the "bugs"
    The Legendary Nothing
  • WitchAngel
    WitchAngel
    ✭✭✭

Yeah the devs of DCUO said it was intentional. Which was a very stupid move by them (business wise). When Animation skipping became apparent, the game population diminished in no time at all. Player dropped out so fast I have never seen anything like it.
  • k.ellison92b14_ESO
    k.ellison92b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    You are completely right about this Kyotee0071 and I would honestly suggest not trying to convince these trolls otherwise. They need any possible advantage over other players to make up for lack of ingenuity so of course they see firing off three separate attacks in a split second as a Godsend.
    Thank you for making the post though and I would love to see a dev not just respond to this thread but admit that something is not working as it should be.
  • Xnemesis
    Xnemesis
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can do the same thing why are you upset? The real issues are those who found ways to dupe items and are making millions of gold from it! Bash will probably get nerfed but clipping animations will happen all the time. Hell I use swallow soul and mage ability entropy while in the air from an ambush charge attack. Am I cheating too?
  • WitchAngel
    WitchAngel
    ✭✭✭
    Xnemesis wrote: »
    If you can do the same thing why are you upset? The real issues are those who found ways to dupe items and are making millions of gold from it! Bash will probably get nerfed but clipping animations will happen all the time. Hell I use swallow soul and mage ability entropy while in the air from an ambush charge attack. Am I cheating too?

It's very hard to consider this a cheat, as it can very easily happen unintentionally.

Personally, I find it to be a bug.....I honestly doubt it's an intentional mechanic. If ZoS ever claims that it is intentional, I think it would be because they haven't got enough personnel to fix it. (Dev teams more often than not get laid off at launch.)

The more I learn about this game, the more I am convinced that it can't be diverted from the path towards F2P which it's clearly aiming at now (unintentionally or not).
  • Kyotee0071
    Kyotee0071
    ✭✭✭
    Xnemesis wrote: »

No, I'm not calling anyone a cheater. Think maybe you need to reread the long winded post? Or watch the video.

Are the things listed in this post effective? Yes! Isn't speed hacking, warping, invisible hacking, and invulnerability hacking effective as well. That's not the point.

And I know that using what the devs have allowed in the game is not hacking. Just using the above hacks as examples. Though they are super effective - they aren't exactly good for the pvp environment.

I for one want a great pvp game, not one that macros and animation/ability skipping rules the roost.

Isn't blocking / dodging an important part of PVP in this game? Or timing a reflective ability against a big spell? If the animation is skipped and the ability fires off, how is that skillful on either end?

*Edit* - Dang, I responded! I said I wouldn't...*bites tongue*

Edited by Kyotee0071 on April 22, 2014 4:27PM

• Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No gcd is not a problem.

This game works on reactionary combat. You can interrupt actions with block/bash so that cast animations dont get you killed when a boss fires up a power attack in the middle of a cast.

Adding some sort of gcd will require them to redo the entire combat system or face the wrath of pve players.

Another case of pvp effing up the entire other half of the game.