The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Ascending Tide Feedback Thread

• Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aztrias wrote: »
    That's weird, well I have done both DB and TG on other characters and I'm not getting this dialogue on any of my alts who have not joined aforementioned guilds.

Some of us are trying to figure out why this is happening to some and not others. It might be a specific achievement.

I want to add this to the feedback because the ambient NPC chatter is still a glaring issue. I'm quoting someone else who has very detailed information about some of the NPCs with screenshots, and I'm begging ZOS to please decouple dungeon achievements from NPC ambient chatter and move them to fire the chatter from completing dungeon quests.
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Today Captain Medusa Herring is taking a break from pirating and being generally lazy to see whether any random townsfolk wish to give her credit for heroic deeds she had nothing to do with. PC/NA, live.

The Daggerfall town crier is making a big deal about a plague in Camlorn that Medusa is pretty sure someone else has already taken care of:
    1DCq4Qd.jpg

(She does not, however, appear to be terribly concerned about the large mostly-naked man punching local residents.)
    S60dcWN.jpg

Medusa was hoping this fellow would offer to buy her an ale, but instead he seems to be complaining about that friendly dog she met earlier:
    KAWrHdU.jpg

So that was all fairly disappointing. But then she ran across this drunk ghost, who thought Medusa had vanquished a dungeon she's pretty sure she can't even go to yet:
    vjhXpJA.jpg

Come to think of it, Medusa hasn't even run across those Undaunted swabs yet. She should probably do that sometime.

There was also a fellow in Daggerfall who thought Medusa was the one who brought those Pellingare brats to justice, but Medusa is pretty sure she hasn't been in those particular sewers.

So it seems like group dungeon achievements are triggering ambient comments, even if the character hasn't completed the dungeon(s) themselves, but at least with these particular zone quests, the commentary is based on quest completion rather than any related achievements other characters may have earned.

Edited by Kesstryl on March 24, 2022 10:40AM
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
    Options
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well I've hated that the style master achievement is bugged and everyone gets it now (not 50 distinct styles learned...50 in total so learn all racial styles on multiple characters and you get an achievement I spent 30-50m gold on.
    @ZOS_Kevin

I didn't like the performance issues, but thank you for fixing that.

Myself and virtually the entire bg community hate not being able to choose your bg mode. Please just separate the queues and if necessary, objective queue can backfill the dm queue after 10 minutes or whatever. Not being able to choose only pits the community against itself and most people become frustrated.

I'm not big into pve, but I was invited to the ship-something dlc vet dungeon last night to help dps the last boss. Was a cool fight, so good job on that.
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    RevJJ wrote: »
    So a week and a half after launch there is still no response from ZOS on all the negative feedback on AWA and no info whether some things are bugs or working as intended?

I was hoping there would be something by now but sadly it seems it’s time to uninstall I guess. A company with so little regard for their player base doesn’t deserve my time or money anymore.

Agreed!

They'll probably just put out another q&a explaining why we're all "confused" again, just like last time.

We're not confused. We know this implementation of AWA is bad. We told them it was bad months ago. We weren't confused then and we certainly aren't now.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It has been suggested that the destruction of alt play focus has been to lessen the load so to speak. I deleted almost all my alts seeing that they had no real future.

I am now restoring them and will fill all 18 slots that I paid for and forget about the history and lore of the game. I will just use them to craft.

Hope I'm finished by Cake event.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmph. I'm not deleting any of mine. I'm playing them exactly the way I always have. I never used zone guide or achievements to "track" my characters, so I haven't lost anything.
    Options
  • Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't run across much issue with some of the buggy dialogue issues that have been brought up but i do hold out that those are things that can perhaps be fixed to smooth over some of the rough edges.

All in all I have enjoyed the update overall particularly last night when the lag and delay and bugginess seemed to have finally ended. Another run through shipwright's regret and still chuckle on my way to and doing the side bosses. One of these days I will start it early enough that the group can hold out to get past the last boss on Vet (its a fun but frustrating fight for sure)

For those of you holding out for Zos to perhaps make some statement that will provide some resolution I wish you well and hope for the best. However i think the Q&A is all your going to really get and its pretty similar to situations where myself and I am sure most parents simply come to the point of " Because I said so" when dealing with our kids.

I hated it when I was a kid and I don't particularly like to do it myself but there comes a time when no matter what you say the response will simply not change the I don't want to do this, go here etc etc. The path is taking you where it needs to like it or not. Sort of like that family reunion that you know will be hot and boring, the food will be mediocre if your lucky and you'll want to leave as soon as you get there, even sooner than the kids you just told "Because I said so" to a half hour ago during the drive in a lot of the cases. The smile on Grandma's face as well as the great uncles and aunts that I only see at these events generally helps to soften the blow.

Now those of you struggling just have to wait and see is Zos can present something like that Gramdma smile to make the inconvenience worth your time and effort going forward.
    Options
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Melivar wrote: »
    I haven't run across much issue with some of the buggy dialogue issues that have been brought up but i do hold out that those are things that can perhaps be fixed to smooth over some of the rough edges.

All in all I have enjoyed the update overall particularly last night when the lag and delay and bugginess seemed to have finally ended. Another run through shipwright's regret and still chuckle on my way to and doing the side bosses. One of these days I will start it early enough that the group can hold out to get past the last boss on Vet (its a fun but frustrating fight for sure)

For those of you holding out for Zos to perhaps make some statement that will provide some resolution I wish you well and hope for the best. However i think the Q&A is all your going to really get and its pretty similar to situations where myself and I am sure most parents simply come to the point of " Because I said so" when dealing with our kids.

I hated it when I was a kid and I don't particularly like to do it myself but there comes a time when no matter what you say the response will simply not change the I don't want to do this, go here etc etc. The path is taking you where it needs to like it or not. Sort of like that family reunion that you know will be hot and boring, the food will be mediocre if your lucky and you'll want to leave as soon as you get there, even sooner than the kids you just told "Because I said so" to a half hour ago during the drive in a lot of the cases. The smile on Grandma's face as well as the great uncles and aunts that I only see at these events generally helps to soften the blow.

Now those of you struggling just have to wait and see is Zos can present something like that Gramdma smile to make the inconvenience worth your time and effort going forward.

I'm sorry, but a "because I said so" is inacceptable response from ZoS.
    They have been saying for years they will be better at communication. Ignoring 3,000+ response feedbacks and ignoring 95+ pages of forum threads and uncounted closed threads and giving us a PR AI generated style "Q&A" is unacceptable.
    I'm not confident in ZoS fixing the many bugs associated with AwA and UD33 and even if they did, it's too little too late.
    ZoS has managed to destroy the play style of countless dedicated players, and the fact that they refuse to engage in a adult dialog shows how they don't care about the community any more. They used to, so sad they have changed.
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Zos is not a parental figure. It is a company, dealing with paying adult customers who have a choice as to how, and where, they spend their money. "Because I said so" is not a response that sells your product or keeps customers in the long run, nor is it one that anyone who is unhappy with this issue should accept.

I am not looking to see grandma smile at me. Especially when that smile may very well conceal sharks teeth. I am not looking to be placated by rewards, events or some form of compensation that makes it "all better."

I am looking to see zos make good on its promise to listen to the many customers whose playstyle has been permanently altered. I am looking to see them approach their playerbase with transparency and openess.

This company has some very intelligent representatives. I know they can do better than this. Thus, I will continue to share my feedback, as many others have, instead of staying quietly in the backseat being dragged to places I don't want to go.

Unlike children, players have the option to get out of the car. Many already have. I stay for the things I continue to love and for the friends I have made, but I don't think anyone here should sit down and accept "because I said so." Being here does not mean I am spending any more money on the game.

We may never receive a decent response. This is true. But that doesn't mean we should let "grandma's smile" make us forget, either.

"Grandma" can always take more away. At some point, she needs to realize that's a bad move and the "grandkids" won't be coming to visit any more, because their parents aren't driving the car. They are.
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on March 24, 2022 11:26PM
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
    Options
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    That's weird, well I have done both DB and TG on other characters and I'm not getting this dialogue on any of my alts who have not joined aforementioned guilds.

Some of us are trying to figure out why this is happening to some and not others. It might be a specific achievement.

I want to add this to the feedback because the ambient NPC chatter is still a glaring issue. I'm quoting someone else who has very detailed information about some of the NPCs with screenshots, and I'm begging ZOS to please decouple dungeon achievements from NPC ambient chatter and move them to fire the chatter from completing dungeon quests.
    There's definitely some inconsistency in this matter. I got curious so I went and talked to this Tarnamir fellow with a couple of my characters and listened to the dialogue.

Character with DB skill line -> I got recognized as a criminal ("I'm no Saint" option in dialogue)
    My main with DB and TG completed -> I got recognized as a criminal ("I'm no Saint" option in dialogue)
    Character with neither DB nor TG skill lines -> No criminal charges (no such options in dialogue)

Also when doing the latest dungeons,
    Captain Kaleen recognized my main character in Coral Aerie who has met her before (he's done all quests in Daggerfall covenant regions). I had dialogue options to ask her what she's been upto since our last encounter.
    She did not recognize one my newer characters who hasn't done any quest related to Captain Kaleen before. She treated me as a complete stranger in this case.

I however have not listened to ambient NPC chatter as I've set dialogue volume to zero most of the time.

I'm on PC-EU if that matters.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
    Options
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I
    LashanW wrote: »

There's definitely some inconsistency in this matter. I got curious so I went and talked to this Tarnamir fellow with a couple of my characters and listened to the dialogue.

Character with DB skill line -> I got recognized as a criminal ("I'm no Saint" option in dialogue)
    My main with DB and TG completed -> I got recognized as a criminal ("I'm no Saint" option in dialogue)
    Character with neither DB nor TG skill lines -> No criminal charges (no such options in dialogue)

Captain Kaleen recognized my main character in Coral Aerie who has met her before (he's done all quests in Daggerfall covenant regions). I had dialogue options to ask her what she's been upto since our last encounter.
    She did not recognize one my newer characters who hasn't done any quest related to Captain Kaleen before. She treated me as a complete stranger in this case.

I however have not listened to ambient NPC chatter as I've set dialogue volume to zero most of the time.

LashanW wrote: »

Others have reported that he is bugged like my test, here's a thread dedicated to this topic:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/600993/results-of-account-wide-achievements-testing-on-live-npc-interactions#latest
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Played a little with my necro tank this morning. She is much much newer compared to my first character, which was a templar.

I would like to give feedback that, as I play now that AwA is live, it absolutely is negatively impacting my enjoyment of playing with a newer character.

For example, she hit level 50 woodworking during the play session today and it was extremely unsatisfying to not receive an achievement for this.

I think items that must be individually done for characters to "work" -- hitting level 50, maxing crafting - should revert to being individual achievements. Things that aren't memorable AND have no impact to the character's functionality after they are completed are ok-ish for account achievements if we must have this compromise. Achievements for killing 100 zombies or 30 templars (in PvP)... that can be a running tally across our accounts. Really there is not much lost, there. But when my character does something for the first time, it should be acknowledged. It isn't "reducing any grind" not to have the achievement pop. You still have to level the craft. Stuff like entering things for the first time, beating things for the first time, completing something challenging, or unique achievements that you tend to say "oh cool!" when they pop up (for example the revenge achievement in PvP) should come back. Maybe, now that it is live, we could at least start talking about what makes sense and what is impacting game play?

It also was super frustrating that I couldn't tell which dungeons to prioritize for getting skill points. Did I do the quest? Have i been in this dungeon before? No idea because they all have all the achievements done. it's AWFUL.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    Stuff like entering things for the first time, beating things for the first time, completing something challenging, or unique achievements that you tend to say "oh cool!" when they pop up (for example the revenge achievement in PvP) should come back.

Yeah I was watching somebody play FFXIV on her alt yesterday, and she was getting the big pop-ups for doing stuff. I told her ESO used to be like that, but once you've done it once on your account, it never comes back.

She couldn't believe it.

Edited by Jaraal on March 26, 2022 6:34PM
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree with you, peacenote. I have a brand new warden I made a few weeks before the update, and was enjoying all the little achievements that would pop on her. Since she's a thief, it was great fun to get some of the harder lock picking and theft achievements on her the very first day of being created, both from a player perspective of "oh wow, I managed to do that even though I don't even have Legerdemain or Thieves Guild leveled yet!" and from a character building perspective of seeing her as a natural thief.

I wasn't really even aiming for achievements, I was just playing her and doing what I do, and it was fun to see those things pop.

After the update, doing anything on her that would normally make an achievement pop just feels...lackluster. There's no little surprises when you manage to do something on a low level character, nothing that records their journey. Tracking anything at all is a hassle without add ons, and even then I find myself feeling confused.

In a weird way, it makes you feel almost like your character is completely irrelevant to the game since now the game ignores their existence almost entirely. No achievements relating to them, world doesn't react to them correctly. I mean, even my "main" who has done a lot (and has the credit on most achievements) is being affected by it.

So yes...the experience of playing an alt is definitely being hindered.
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
    Options
  • tindomiel4
    tindomiel4
    ✭✭✭
    After the update, doing anything on her that would normally make an achievement pop just feels...lackluster. There's no little surprises when you manage to do something on a low level character, nothing that records their journey. Tracking anything at all is a hassle without add ons, and even then I find myself feeling confused.

In a weird way, it makes you feel almost like your character is completely irrelevant to the game since now the game ignores their existence almost entirely. No achievements relating to them, world doesn't react to them correctly. I mean, even my "main" who has done a lot (and has the credit on most achievements) is being affected by it.

So yes...the experience of playing an alt is definitely being hindered.

I noticed this immediately, even before (since I don't play PTS) I realized it was a deliberate change. I can't figure out where my low-level alts are in anything, so even though my main's journey is nearly complete, I feel no desire to pick them back up. I might in future make a completely new alt, but I sure won't be paying for the character slot (still can't believe Zos did that sale right after this mess). If it weren't for the fact that they have me over a quality-of-life barrel with the craft bag, I'd cancel my Plus now. I'm no whale, so I know they won't notice when I stop buying chapters and eventually cancel and go.

But ESO is an MMORPG that has effectively hobbled the multi-character replay value of the RPG part. Which seems to me like an incredibly strange thing to do, as it is likely to lead to a lot more lackluster-feeling players just playing (and spending) less.

But hey, fewer players means that smaller database they were after, I suppose.
    Options
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also was super frustrating that I couldn't tell which dungeons to prioritize for getting skill points. Did I do the quest? Have i been in this dungeon before? No idea because they all have all the achievements done. it's AWFUL.

Yep. Recording manually at the mo before hits consoles on Tuesday and is not improving my attitude towards this company.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Stuff like entering things for the first time, beating things for the first time, completing something challenging, or unique achievements that you tend to say "oh cool!" when they pop up (for example the revenge achievement in PvP) should come back.

Yeah I was watching somebody play FFXIV on her alt yesterday, and she was getting the big pop-ups for doing stuff. I told her ESO used to be like that, but once you've done it once on your account, it never comes back.

She couldn't believe it.

Unlike ESO, FFXIV is built in a way so Alts are absolutely not needed to experience the full game.

-You can play all classes on one characters

-You can use in game systems to replay older quests and see reactions to dialogue options you didn’t choose it to just experience it again

While ESO fully expects every player to have to make a new character to play certain ways or to re-enjoy the story, which is why unlike FFXIV in which alts share absolutely nothing, ESO gives tools to mitigate that issue

-account wide banks

-account wide and 5 joinable guilds

-account wide bound gear sharing

And more, but this gets the point across

FFXIV has been built (over time) to allow one to experience the content in the game so well on one character that there is absolutely no reason to share anything between different characters, maybe if ESO had a more free class system or a way to redo things without making a whole new character AwA might not have been wanted as much as it was and implemented in such a rushed and buggy way
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that's why I've never had any interest in that game - I don't want to do everything on one character EVER.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleakz wrote: »

She couldn't believe it.

Unlike ESO, FFXIV is built in a way so Alts are absolutely not needed to experience the full game.

-You can use in game systems to replay older quests and see reactions to dialogue options you didn’t choose it to just experience it again

While ESO fully expects every player to have to make a new character to play certain ways or to re-enjoy the story, which is why unlike FFXIV in which alts share absolutely nothing, ESO gives tools to mitigate that issue

-account wide banks

FFXIV has been built (over time) to allow one to experience the content in the game so well on one character that there is absolutely no reason to share anything between different characters, maybe if ESO had a more free class system or a way to redo things without making a whole new character AwA might not have been wanted as much as it was and implemented in such a rushed and buggy way

That was one reason I didn't stay long with FFXIV (the other one being the forced grouping required to open up core aspects such as the story and trading).
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bleakz wrote: »

She couldn't believe it.

-account wide banks

I guess ESO has hit a new milestone in gaming then, because if you have an established account, you can never experience the full game again. FFXIV may be built in such a way that you can experience the full game on a single character, but ESO is now built so that you can't even experience the full game on a single character unless you buy a fresh account. Instead, I'm forced to experience the game on every character whether I want to or not, because merely tripping over a stone can earn me an achievement I don't want to get yet. My main is now hobbled to my alts, just as my alts are hobbled to my main- I have no idea what I'm doing on him any more than I do on them now.

I also have deep doubts as to whether this update was really as much for the players as they claim. I personally think "the players have been asking for this" is a convenient way for the company to couch a change they wanted to make in order to implement their new cold storage and sharding system as quickly as possible (I question how much this was really needed and why it couldn't have been refined more). We'd been telling them it was broken for an entire month before its release, but only the most minor of bug fixes was made. If this was really "for the players" as they claim, you'd think they would have polished the system up all shiny so that it at least worked smoothly.

They didn't. Instead, they broke the player experience for the sake of rushing out a "performance" update that, so far, fails to perform. (I'm not talking about the performance issues caused by the failed hardware covered in the other thread, I'm talking about how the game feels absolutely no different or faster than it ever was, and it's not due to my hardware.)

I also question this because of the many intelligent posts which have explained, in detail, what was really going on under the hood of the game and how the data was actually being handled.

Given that they claim this update was for "performance" I don't think even a class system like that in FFXIV would have stopped them from doing this for some reason. (Would I like something like that implemented? hmm...yes, it could be fun to swap classes conveniently, but that's a conversation for a different thread.)

(Also...FFXIV also has a HUGE roleplaying community, and being a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise...I can say that being able to experience the game on one character completely never stopped many from making a ton of different characters just as people in ESO do. The motivation for playing different characters isn't always about class or mechanics, sometimes it's about playing a completely different character in and of itself.)
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    And that's why I've never had any interest in that game - I don't want to do everything on one character EVER.

The difference between FF14 and ESO is that the content is far and away more diverse, both in activity and delivery. Much ESO's "new" content just feels like reskinned old content, and doing it on a different character is the only real way you can mix it up.

There are also a lot of things that ESO charges a hefty premium for that are just part of the game that you just unlock pretty early on. Off the top of my head, there's all the old content (if you buy the latest expansion, everything older is free), more storage (I'm level 62 and havent come close to capping), hair and makeup change, far better in game fashion, mounts and pets. With the amount you save on the Crown Store, you can just buy a boost for an alt if you want to have multiple characters.
    Options
  • Jestir
    Jestir
    ✭✭✭✭

You also dont have to outside of what is needed main story, but it is nice for it to possibly to for those that want it
    Tandor wrote: »
    That was one reason I didn't stay long with FFXIV (the other one being the forced grouping required to open up core aspects such as the story and trading).

While I absolutely don’t understand how having freedom of gameplay is bad in any way, I will say that for the most part the second part of your issue is being addressed there
    (Also...FFXIV also has a HUGE roleplaying community, and being a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise...I can say that being able to experience the game on one character completely never stopped many from making a ton of different characters just as people in ESO do. The motivation for playing different characters isn't always about class or mechanics, sometimes it's about playing a completely different character in and of itself.)

And having the ability to make alts for RP reasons or such is of course all well good, class changing or other systems that make playing a single character and no alts a full experience should never change that

But this is mostly off topic here at this point I would think, if this is a conversation anyone wants to continue anyone can make a new topic to speak about it
    Options
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I do. I got an axe the other day so I'm now a botanist. Professions are like levelling a new class. I'm starting off as a conjurer (healer class), If I don't like it then I will simply change to another class if I want to.

Now, compare that to ESO, my main was a templar, played him since Beta. Then I get bored of playing a Templar and fall in love with playing a stam warden.

Now, can I just change profession to make my main a warden? No, no I can't. I can change my name, sex, race, alliance and appearance but I can't make my main a warden.

Which is not a very Elder Scrolls limitation to have. The last time I looked I could play how I liked in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and older games. Calling it an MMO limitation doesn't really cut it nowadays.

So, even though I'm a fan of AwA, the way it was brute-forced upon us was just not right, and it didn't include the one thing I really wanted - motif knowledge. I had been forced to use mods just to track which motifs my main had knowledge of, I was hoping AwA would sort that out. It didn't.

Anyway, that's me done. I'll check in every week or so to see if the devs actually DO anything about this, also 3 years of talk of performance improvements is quite enough for me. It's about time they actually did something that didn't erase 8 years of stuff.
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get your situation Hurbster. I'm just not in it myself. I have lots of alts so I have lots of people to play when I'm ready to play them - to me they are their own people, not just cardboard characters. Where I differ from those who are unhappy with AWA (I'm not one of them) is that due to the way my mind works in games, I don't need an artificial thing like achievements or zone guide to keep track of all my alts (and I have a LOT of them).

I know when I log into any one of my alts, what I last did on that person, what things I had in mind to do next, and of the "what to do next" list, which that person would find the most fun. And that's where we go, and what we do.

I never have had any use for achievements in any game I've ever played. To me they're like the gold stars teachers gave me in kindergarten 7 decades ago; I know that there are those who really love them, I'm just not one of those players.
    Options
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh_Tech wrote: »
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    However, we wanted to address Account Wide Achievements in relation to this thread. When we gather feedback, we share both positive and negative sentiment with the dev team. This is for the team to have player information in addition to the many other data metrics they have to make the best decision at the time. As noted in another thread, sometimes player expectation does not match what the dev team is able to do. And there are a myriad of reasons why this can happen. As we noted in the Q&A, the current implementation of Account Wide Achievements needed to happen to reduce the data footprint for achievements. This is ultimately for long term maintainable database stability and performance.
    Just my two cents on this since I'm also a member of the group of players that didn't start the game since U33.
    I can accept that changes in the way data is stored may be necessary to keep things stable. But the whole situation is full of contradictions to me.
    I have never seen any 'warning' or similar coming from the devs saying that the amount of achievement data would be a problem. If this was the case, then why were there still character slots buyable in the crown store, when every character creates more data?
    On the other hand: I used the addon 'Character Achievements' to 'backup' by character data before the update went life - that backup has a size of 119 kiB for twelve chars --> approx. 10 kiB per char. Let's assume there are 20 million ESO accounts with 5 chars in average. So there are 100 million chars with 10 kiB achievement data each, which results in a total data volume of approx. 1 trillion bytes aka one terabyte, most likely split into (at least) six databases (PC EU, PC NA, XBOX EU, etc.). That's not an amount of data you can't handle these days!

AwA was annouced after the year's release event in January and instantly put on PTS. Who decided to make such a deep change (I don't use the word 'great' for it intentionally) without any kind of 'warning' to the community and - let's be honest - any chance for implementing suggested changes before putting it life?

As player, I lived though many games over the decades, witnessed many shitstorms and 'sub-optimal' things devs did, and it was NEVER a good idea to take things away from players they got used to over years. Another thing that is never a good idea is to wipe data of active players - you did both like bloody beginners! You just took it away instead of providing any other way to track the progress of our alts - and there would have been plenty of ways besides keeping the data available in a life view. Providing a sub-section in the Bethesda account website like it is available on eso-database.com is only one example.

However, it's over for me. I've lost all trust and faith in ZOS and I doubt I will ever log into ESO again with other chars than my main. What's the sense in repeating content when that content is broken and there is no indication of what's left to do? After years of playing barely anything else besides ESO this has ended - sad but true.

I would bet the decision was made because someone thought "we can save execution time and make the game run better, rather than any other consideration.

This is common in many industries, though such changes are often promoted as aids to the user, whether the user played a significant role in the changes at all. That is not a good approach to making any software, but it is what we often have.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
    Options
  • Saieden
    Saieden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurbster wrote: »

I do. I got an axe the other day so I'm now a botanist. Professions are like levelling a new class. I'm starting off as a conjurer (healer class), If I don't like it then I will simply change to another class if I want to.

Now, compare that to ESO, my main was a templar, played him since Beta. Then I get bored of playing a Templar and fall in love with playing a stam warden.

Now, can I just change profession to make my main a warden? No, no I can't. I can change my name, sex, race, alliance and appearance but I can't make my main a warden.

Furthermore, the amount XP you get from the doing to main story is actually insane. Because of also doing a moderate amount of daily and "side" content, one of the reasons I started another job was because my main is so over levelled that it feels like a huge waste of XP not do so, especially after factoring in daily dungeons (which have much faster queues for dps, are more engaging because of level sync, and an infinitely better and friendlier social experience than in ESO).
    Options
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, just wanted to bump this for console. We're opening feedback from console players as well.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • tindomiel4
    tindomiel4
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't. Instead, they broke the player experience for the sake of rushing out a "performance" update that, so far, fails to perform. (I'm not talking about the performance issues caused by the failed hardware covered in the other thread, I'm talking about how the game feels absolutely no different or faster than it ever was, and it's not due to my hardware.)

I really think I would have less of a problem with the sledge-hammered implementation of AWA if the game actually worked better now. But I know PvP players have been begging for fixes for years with no result. And I play on a Mac, so every load screen involving one of the zones Elsweyr-on is a crap shoot as to whether it will actually go through or will crash me all the way back to my computer (not game) login screen and force me to restart. As someone on another thread said, the AWA mess is definitely a straw on the camel's back. I was already dreading an island-based (read: requires load screens to explore) zone, and now my enthusiasm is the lowest it's ever been. I wish that wasn't the case, as I've spent a lot of happy time in Tamriel the last few years especially.

I will say that I really appreciate the modding community, who are stepping up to this challenge in such helpful ways. (Of course, they should not have to do free work for ZOS just to make the game function, but that is another discussion.)
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Welcome to Ascending Tide, everyone!

Do you like the music?

Now that it's live on Console I can say something.

Specifically the new High Isle Theme. I like the direction it went, but it just sounds, off. The pacing gets sudden and quick, and I remember from the Elsweyr chapter it was admitted the lyrics in these aren't actually meant to be anything other than melodic gibberish, but this time it's like it's trying too hard to sound like a language and ends up being a little goofy because of it. Beginning the Theme with a vocalist solo singing in a fake language and then following with the orchestra is awkward.
    Did you find the new dungeon mechanics challenging?

Very much so. I tried soloing on Normal for a Story Run. Shipwright I couldn't get past the Spriggan's blue phase, and in Corral Aerie I didn't even get past the first Boss. These fights are definitely more trying than Waking Flame. However get three other players into a group and that Spriggan turned into a push over from the raw DPS.

There's also one, single, SPECIFIC thing I NEED to mention. In the Coral Aerie dungeon at the start, in the ocean. You guys created a texture overlay to simulate waves......PLEASE put these in all other zones with ocean coastlines! Actually giving us a visual to accompany the background audio of crashing waves makes the environment SO MUCH BETTER.
    Edited by ArchMikem on March 30, 2022 3:47AM
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delves, world bosses &’public dungeon bosses being ‘one & done’ utterly sucks.

Not happy.
    Options
  • SeaWoodStage
    SeaWoodStage
    ✭✭✭
    The new music is brilliant, that's honestly the first thing I noticed when I loaded up the game after the update, best menu screen music since I've been playing.

I've only done the dungeons on normal so far, they have good environments and mechs that I guess will be intriguing on vet/HM. Was awesome to see Jakarn and Za'ji again (and even Captain Kaleen even though she hated me after the Betnikh chapter of my Cadwell's silver). I'd love it if Za'ji's mum turned up in the story at some point, she's always been oneof my favourite NPCs.

I was warned about the point-of-interests map stuff but that doesn't seem to have affected me yet. It will be annoying if it does because I'm kind of obsessive about that kind of thing, but as long as it gets fixed in the next incremental then yay.

Up until Blackwood I've been playing catch-up for almost three years with doing all the zone stories/DLC and I really enjoyed Blackwood/Deadlands because I was ready from the start. For me High Isle is a step beyond that - I'm looking forward to the story so much and my character has never been so prepared. If the loading screen music is anything to go by, then bring it the frickity frick on please.
    Options