The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Proc Sets Are Fun: The Silent Majority

• Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally proc and non-proc sets are balanced. Dont forget to nerf spriggans penetration before touch proc and so on.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    And there it is. You don't even notice it, do you? The unquestionable presupposition that proc sets are "free" damage. This is what makes you a purist and borderline elitist.

Presupposition would be the right word if I didn't have multiple clips on my channel of already running these proc sets. You used the wrong word once again in an attack that is wrong, once again. You notice that, right?

If you don't, here you go. My video running all procs on my magblade from a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZo8WZu2P4o

As a matter of fact, you even commented on it!

yivogea0lfdp.png

You made a video that showed your friend, who is apparently a decent player on a balanced tanky-ish build and class, dying in a duel, apparently powerless against your light attack build. That is how you made your claim. A picture is worth a thousand words and all that. Your video represented death. It did not represent pressure.

Yes I did, if you disagree, you're on PC as well. I'm streaming monday.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @FrankonPC, I could be wrong as I don't have time to watch that video right now, but didn't you put a Caluurion build video out with the express aim of showing how strong it was, hoping it would catch on and get nerfed? Since then we've had Sloads, but Caluurion never rose to the level where it was considered sufficiently problematic. In fact it has flown under the radar, ZOS' radar at least, remarkably unchanged. I wonder why that is? Could it be, because it's quite well balanced on live?
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FrankonPC, I could be wrong as I don't have time to watch that video right now, but didn't you put a Caluurion build video out with the express aim of showing how strong it was, hoping it would catch on and get nerfed? Since then we've had Sloads, but Caluurion never rose to the level where it was considered sufficiently problematic. In fact it has flown under the radar, ZOS' radar at least, remarkably unchanged. I wonder why that is? Could it be, because it's quite well balanced on live?

I put multiple videos out with the attempt to show that it wasn't the critting of the proc sets that is an issue, it's the stacking of all of the proc sets that can all proc off the same skills or ability that is. When the first viper tremorscale meta happened, a lot of players wanted proc sets to operate on a global cooldown so that you cannot stack multiple procs. The non-critting doesn't matter if they're powerful(as was the case with old zaan, caluurions and overwhelming). I wasn't trying to get any of these sets specifically nerfed, just showing what they do when they're stacked.

Caluurions by itself is probably fine, zaan right now by itself is fine, as is just about all of these sets, but it's the stacking that's problematic. My stance has not changed for two years now, add a global cooldown on all procs so that you can't run multiple for free damage, or make them scale off your max stats so you have less incentive to run multiple as a tank spec and still get good damage. You can even go back to making them crit if you do this. Then everyone is happy, in PVE and PvP

I think this is a much healthier form of pvp personally. Proc sets have their place, but they're not doing all of the damage in your spec.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FrankonPC wrote: »
    And there it is. You don't even notice it, do you? The unquestionable presupposition that proc sets are "free" damage. This is what makes you a purist and borderline elitist.

Presupposition would be the right word if I didn't have multiple clips on my channel of already running these proc sets. You used the wrong word once again in an attack that is wrong, once again. You notice that, right?
    OK, I'll admit that I was unfairly questioning your integrity regarding your experience with proc sets and your preference for stat builds. At the same time, characterising proc sets as "free" is factually inaccurate. You can argue about what's free about them and what's not, but it is a grey area. It's used as such a cheap shot by everyone holding your position and in such a casual way, it's extremely irritating. I am also on the side of sabresandiego_ESO when it comes to fun. I think you can have fun with or without procs and whether next patch will be as problematic as Viper / Tremorscale is by no means obvious to me, even now.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • ThePainGuy
    ThePainGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Some interesting points being made on this forum topic. I saw the streams (Else duel with @Madhatten512 and @sabresandiego_ESO).

Honestly in my opinion, the biggest wildcard in this proc-set vs max stat debate is Malacath's Band. Now i like proc sets and stat building sets. I love the diversity in building for pvp in ESO. Now Zos has certainly taken it even further with mythics that add another layer of gameplay and i admire they are willing to still push the envelope in this game. However, Zos has been inconsistent with some balancing and Malacath's Banding is one area.

Malacath's Banding allows us to increase our overall damage by 25% but at the cost that we can no longer do crit damage (the Kiss Curse that Zos loves to call it). However, Malacath allows bypassing of the kiss/curse effect if your build is solely based around proc-sets. Proc-sets used to crit in the past and then Zos changed it to where they can no longer crit. However, when malacath's band is combined with proc-sets; proc-sets are allowed to essentially do extra damage but bypass the curse effect because proc-sets do not crit to begin with.

Now lets look at what Zos has done recently.
    1. Blood for blood (vamp ability) was essentially nerfed because some classes like nightblade could bypass the heath toggle costs (curse effect) with its great self healing. This was done during greymoor PTS
    2. Thrassian Stranglers: (mythic item) nerfed twice (greymoor PTS and stonethorn PTS) because players were allowed to gain max stats and able to significantly ignore curse effects of the item
    3. New Moon Acolyte (crafted item set): per Zos they reduced the 5 piece benefit to 401 down from 481 weapon/spell damage because players were able to essentially ignore the increased costs due to synergies

So in conclusion since proc-sets are able to have their base damage increased with essentially no curse since proc-sets cannot do crit damage; should malacath's band apply to proc-sets? If you compare it to max-stat builds that use malacath's band; your base damage is increased but your damage skills and abilities cannot no longer do crit damage. Doesn't that seem a bit unbalanced?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Edited by ThePainGuy on July 25, 2020 9:20PM
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ThePainGuy wrote: »
    Some interesting points being made on this forum topic. I saw the streams (Else duel with @Madhatten512 and @sabresandiego_ESO).

Honestly in my opinion, the biggest wildcard in this proc-set vs max stat debate is Malacath's Band. Now i like proc sets and stat building sets. I love the diversity in building for pvp in ESO. Now Zos has certainly taken it even further with mythics that add another layer of gameplay and i admire they are willing to still push the envelope in this game. However, Zos has been inconsistent with some balancing and Malacath's Banding is one area.

Malacath's Banding allows us to increase our overall damage by 25% but at the cost that we can no longer do crit damage (the Kiss Curse that Zos loves to call it). However, Malacath allows bypassing of the kiss/curse effect if your build is solely based around proc-sets. Proc-sets used to crit in the past and then Zos changed it to where they can no longer crit. However, when malacath's band is combined with proc-sets; proc-sets are allowed to essentially do extra damage but bypass the curse effect because proc-sets do not crit to begin with.

Now lets look at what Zos has done recently.
    1. Blood for blood (vamp ability) was essentially nerfed because some classes like nightblade could bypass the heath toggle costs (curse effect) with its great self healing. This was done during greymoor PTS
    2. Thrassian Stranglers: (mythic item) nerfed twice (greymoor PTS and stonethorn PTS) because players were allowed to gain max stats and able to significantly ignore curse effects of the item
    3. New Moon Acolyte (crafted item set): per Zos they reduced the 5 piece benefit to 401 down from 481 weapon/spell damage because players were able to essentially ignore the increased costs due to synergies

So in conclusion since proc-sets are able to have their base damage increased with essentially no curse since proc-sets cannot do crit damage; should malacath's band apply to proc-sets? If you compare it to max-stat builds that use malacath's band; your base damage is increased but your damage skills and abilities cannot no longer do crit damage. Doesn't that seem a bit unbalanced?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Gilliam @ZOS_BrianWheeler @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    I agree. I said the same thing recently, albeit less forcefully. Funny thing is, we probably all agree. Frank seems to prefer a global cooldown on procs, but I believe he suggested this option in one of his YouTube videos as well.
  • sabresandiego_ESO
    sabresandiego_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Malacath and mythic items in general to be an awesome addition to the game. They really threw a wrench into many standard builds and created all new build ideas.

I like that malacath buffs proc sets disproportionately. It also buffs stat builds with low crit chance disproportionately. This opens up new build possibilities outside of the norm. It’s entirely possible I’m wrong too, I just haven’t personally seen any glaring imbalance yet.

Now I totally agree that your Kiss/Curse concerns are valid. But I’ve tested all the new mythic items and haven’t found them to break the game. Are there some strong new builds that use them? Yes there are, but I enjoy that.

One thing you are also forgetting is that if you use malacath, you’re not using snowtreaders or ring of the wild hunt, etc: so there is an opportunity cost right there.

Frank was using malacath on his triple proc setup, and in my opinion his build was unique, creative, and not overpowered -> just different.
    Edited by sabresandiego_ESO on July 25, 2020 9:46PM
    Ali Dreadsabre -Necromancer
    Ali Sabre -Nightblade
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'll admit that I was unfairly questioning your integrity regarding your experience with proc sets and your preference for stat builds. At the same time, characterising proc sets as "free" is factually inaccurate. You can argue about what's free about them and what's not, but it is a grey area. It's used as such a cheap shot by everyone holding your position and in such a casual way, it's extremely irritating. I am also on the side of sabresandiego_ESO when it comes to fun. I think you can have fun with or without procs and whether next patch will be as problematic as Viper / Tremorscale is by no means obvious to me, even now.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=157224 .

Here's a full stat spec this patch on your class, balorgh, war maiden and necro. I intentionally build no recovery so that we have highly buffed tooltips, scaling the damage even higher for stat based builds.

Max Stat War maiden concealed: 14,361
    Max Stat War Maiden Soul Harvest: 22971

A two hit combination with these two sets yields 37,332 tooltip damage. With full ultimate balorgh, the tooltip goes up to 24,574, with more pen. So roughly 39k ish damage with full balorgh

Here's substituting caluurions for war maiden, feel free to adjust it yourself and compare:
    Caluurions Concealed: 12,938
    Caluurions Soul harvest: 20,695

A two hit combo with everything else remaining the same yields a 33,633 tooltip damage. With balorgh at 500 ultimate, it goes up to 22k, so roughly 35k overall damage with this combination at 500 ultimate.

You lose roughly 4k damage on your overall tooltips switching this one set, but you gain 20k proc that is guaranteed to land with this combination every 10 seconds.

So between the two, with the same two hit combination, you have 37k damage(39k fully buffed) vs 55k...which as you know on a magicka nightblade with concealed weapon, caluurions hits almost every time when they're not cc immune. This is reliable burst. This is a difference of 34% in burst when you switch out the one set.

Now let's add my other sets I was running, Caluurions Overwhelming and Zaan:

Concealed tooltip: 12,128
    Soul Harvest: 19,401

So 31k damage with a 20k tooltip caluurions that will land every 10 seconds = 51k. 51k vs 39k damage, or a % difference of 26% on your overall burst between these two abilities WITH the ability to still proc overwhelming and zaan, which is more damage.

Now you can absolutely say that 500 ultimate balorgh has more pen as well and will do more damage than what the tooltips show, which is 100% true! It's not going to offset 26% damage shown though. Balorgh at 500 ultimate will give you ~17%(11500 pen with 500 ult balorgh divided by 660) more damage with the full pen than what is showing, but it's still not more damage than just the caluurions proc. This is just taking into account caluurions and not overwhelming or zaan of course, which would be an even larger difference in overall damage done, when they proc.

So when people talk about how procs give "free" damage, it's because the utility of running multiple procs on the same spec is giving more damage than what a max stat build will give for doing the exact same thing.
    Edited by FrankonPC on July 25, 2020 10:11PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Frank, you seem like a good guy but I don't think you are being honest here. None of those duels were close, you lost every duel by a wide margin and we probably dueled 6-7 times. In the two duels you claim we stalemated: that's not what happened. What actually happened is that the duels lasted a longer amount of time, and you were going to eventually lose to attrition but you crashed twice instead. High health builds are strong against burst and weaker vs attrition.

We dueled once when I put my old enchants back on, we only stalemated once iirc. You beat me handily when I did not have the recovery I had vs mad on. In one of them you beat me in like 20 seconds!

5:50 -9:10 I was at 70% mag before I crashed, with a pot coming up. you went into colossus twice. I don't have to worry about being honest when it's literally recorded. 3 minutes of dueling vs two ultimates and my resources aren't strained, we can agree that's a draw no? We can do it again if you'd like.
    yet my stat build decisively won both NOCP duels against your triple proc setup: and I do not feel I was close to losing at any point. The nocp duels were over quickly and decisively.

How many times do i have to explain I was light attacking? You won decisively against light attacks when I have not run this setup in no cp. Congrats!
    The third fake narrative I want to expose here is your claim that you're only using light attacks to show how OP that build is: but the truth is that your stats (magicka and spellpower and regen) are so low that using abilities would actually hurt you on that build because they would be inefficient and run you out of resources, and you'd have nothing left for defense. Thats the truth, which the masses don't realize because they are easy to fool - I am not.

I was not running out of resources when I put my old enchants on, see above.
    The fourth fake narrative is that your build requires no skill to play: but that's also fake news. I watched you play and not only were you breathing heavily, you were doing all kinds of actions that a lesser player would not have done. You were not mindlessly light attacking like you portray to the masses. A mindless light attacker would have been dead in 30 seconds.

I think you're a good guy, and like I warned about dueling before: peoples egos get in the way of reality. It wasn't my idea to duel, but I certainly believe I proved my claims

I did everything defensively against you that I did against mad, and then I light attacked. It really isn't difficult to do.

To the bolded:
    I told you what I wanted to accomplish before we fought, I was going to fight you with light attacks. I tried potion cooldown enchants because I thought they could give me more than recovery, I was wrong. I switched back and we stalemated. If I truly cared about "ego" I wouldn't have brought that setup to test in no cp when I've never ran it in there before, and if I cared about dying, I wouldn't have continually done exactly what I stated I was going to do in this thread, fight you with light attacks. I would have switched up my build a bit, I would have used skills and abilities...but that wasn't what I was trying to do. I was operating in good faith by testing things in different areas. Bolded is looking more and more like projection, which is too bad.

You killed me, good players are supposed to kill players just light attacking. It really should never get close, which is my contention. You continually saying you proved your point while you're cycling different debuffs and dots with ultimates while I am light attacking isn't proving the point you think it proves.

If we keep dueling: this does become about egos rather than actual testing and data analysis and that's not the goal here. The tests we did decisively showed that your Proc build is not as powerful as your video with Madhatten portrayed. In that video: the narrative was that a solidly built open world stat build easily lost a duel to a mindless triple proc build using primarily light attacks. You challenged me to disprove that narrative and I did. I showed up with a stat build, decisively won every duel that you didn't crash in, and was never close to losing even when I dropped to half health in one of the NOCP duels (which is easy to do when you have 14k HP).

I purposely showed up with a low health stat build to show that these proc builds aren't as overpowering as the narrative. I never said proc builds aren't strong. Do you really think Zenimax is incompetant? They created this game. They know what they are doing: and even if proc builds are a little bit too good in some scenarios: that's ok because it shifts the meta and makes the game fresh. I think we will see a lot more proc builds next patch. I like that and you don't, and that's ok. And maybe in the future, some particular proc set might be nerfed just like New Moons (a stat set) was this patch.

You showed up with a duelling build on the most broken class in the game to kill someone light attacking. Congratulations but you are actually proving the exact opposite of what you think u are proving.

If those Stat based builds that can compare with those procs are so good you would show up with a similar build as Frank's, just stat based and go on and try to kill him with light attacks, not a defile necro Goliath monstrosity.

As a matter of fact why don't u do that? You are the one claiming that Julianos is contender. So bring ur Julianos and light attack people. Let's see where that gets you. But let's not kid ourselves. You wouldn't do that cause only mudcrabs would die to such a build.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I guess it's no surprise that I will second the 4 points made by sabresandiego_ESO. EDIT: Ooof, several posts up now.

I've tried high health builds on occasion. Not ones that were also intended to do damage, but pure warden tanks. I lasted maybe 30 seconds against two experienced players. What sabresandiego_ESO says about these builds being susceptible to attrition is true. One of the disappointing things to see was that that hasn't changed. That's balance of sorts.

If you build a pure tank, you can last much longer than I did. I have a friend who used to do that, but in trying it myself I soon discovered that it requires skill to manage your resources and become an expert at that type of build. I feel this mirrors point 4 of sabresandiego_ESO's.

As soon as you put on so much as one procset, the elitists look down on you. I'm not saying that's you, @FrankonPC, but I count you as a purist. You don't like to wear proc sets on principle. Both purists and elitists IMO make the same mistake. They overestimate the skill that's needed for playing a stat-based build versus what's just general proficiency at ESO. They IMO also underestimate the compromises going into proc builds, because they don't play such builds medium to long term.

In reply to some of the other posts here, I can't stand the condescending attitude of players claiming that proc sets only really have their place as crutches for beginners, nor those that complain when they have difficulty 1vXing two players with procsets. It's entitled and self-serving.

As to your deaths, you were hedging your bets. Your original video showed a death, but you backpedaled and provided yourself an out. If I'd seen you pressuring sabresandiego_ESO's health bar consistently, I might have conceded the point. I did not see that. Next thing people say is "necro is OP", which may be true, but is shifting the goal posts. I think we've established there's one stat-based build / class that will beat your proc warden comfortably, that's what I take away from this.

Proc sets shouldn't have their place as just beginner crutches. You are right. But their current design is as close to that as it gets. This is clearly evident from the videos that clearly show someone dishing out tons of dmg on a 40k hp buils by just light attacking. That's not a build. It's not a tank or a duelling build or whatever. It's just 3 random procs thrown together and light attacking. Do you honestly not see something wrong with that.

• Ajaks
    Ajaks
    ✭✭✭

what's the opportunity cost of casting one purify vs one poison injection or crit rush? Purify is more expensive. if a templar really wants to play the purify vs poison inject game, I'm more than happy to.

What about the classes that don't have a purge?

Hm... Every class has cleanse through the Purge ability and its morphs from the support skill-line so your argument is a bit shady. Besides, once a proc fires you have to wait 5 seconds for the VMA 2 hand, 15 for the Venomous smite and 10 for the Unleashed terror set. So once your procs are toggled and an enemy purges them, you are pretty much left at their mercy for the next 10 to 15 seconds. Also - if you want to use your Venomous smite set, you won't be able to use the Malacath ring that you have complained about.

That being said, I agree that the removal of the random chances of those proc effects is problematic indeed. Perhaps devs should consider that a player with 2 or 3 proc items on the gear, should be able to fire only one at a time.
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajaks wrote: »

Hm... Every class has cleanse through the Purge ability and its morphs from the support skill-line so your argument is a bit shady.

I agree with what you wrote after this, but there's a reason you don't see many classes running purge, because it's ridiculously expensive right now and not a great option. On a breton magicka class in light armor, the cost of efficient purge is just under 5k. The other morph is just under 7k. Poison injection is under 3k for cost and crit rush is under 4k. So if a class wants to run efficient purge vs what I am running, as I said I'm more than happy to. You're better off wearing a set like curse eater or wyrd tree and getting the purge doing something else.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajaks wrote: »

what's the opportunity cost of casting one purify vs one poison injection or crit rush? Purify is more expensive. if a templar really wants to play the purify vs poison inject game, I'm more than happy to.

What about the classes that don't have a purge?

Hm... Every class has cleanse through the Purge ability and its morphs from the support skill-line so your argument is a bit shady.

You really think any build can just slot purge and be able to sustain that?
    I agree with your concept of allowing only one proc to work at a time. They could probably reduce server load issues by quite a bit by making procs all abide by one cooldown. While at the same time it would hard limit potential balance issues when adding new procs.
    Imo i think the game would be better with proc sets that can replace the need for gameplay. I would rather newer players learn the game instead of slotting a set that automatically does damage for them.
  • Ajaks
    Ajaks
    ✭✭✭
    MincVinyl wrote: »
    You really think any build can just slot purge and be able to sustain that?

I was just referring to his statement that some classes don't have purge, mate. Other than that - both FrankonPC and sabresandiego_ESO placed interesting claims and went out to prove them. This discussion was a pleasure to read and I thank them both for the provided evidence.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use proc sets with effects that fit with my characters theme
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rex-Umbra wrote: »
    I use proc sets with effects that fit with my characters theme

that's exactly what should be happening.
    builds and playstyle is in the eye of the beholder.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for baiting and flaming, content that is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay consecutive and respectful to avoid thread derailment or action on one's own account.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So when people talk about how procs give "free" damage, it's because the utility of running multiple procs on the same spec is giving more damage than what a max stat build will give for doing the exact same thing.
    That's if and when the burst kills someone. If not, then you find the PvE balancing of those sets makes it even numbers, yet you lack the magicka / spell damage for better shields or heals you would otherwise have.

This is the actual build that I run: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=258302

As you can see it is highly compromised, because I like speed and I like perma-cloak sustain. Sometimes I don't feel like fighting, but I can watch what's going on. Yes, this is how you build to truly stay invisible and able to cast RAT every other cloak, without running your magicka down. I have fun whizzing around the place and striking where I can make a difference. Sometimes I zerg. Sometimes I duel or it's even numbers. Sometimes - rarely - I manage to 1vX people, not counting the complete pushovers.

I usually try to fight in melee range, because the danger is exciting and it creates the best burst. It's a very squishy build. I'd be much better off fighting from range, wouldn't I? Ganking with a heavy attack or Elemental Weapon / Master's flame staff and only going in for Soul Harvest later, if necessary. If you go over to the magblade theory crafting thread, about half the people there expressed the view, at one time or another, that melee magblade is suicide. It works for me, albeit with Caluurion. I neither think it's the most difficult magblade build, nor the easiest.

The next thing is, you're going to tell me I would be more successful, if I ran a stronger build like yours, albeit with realistic sustain? I would, then, also appreciate the problems with multiple proc sets or stronger proc sets or Malacath? Perhaps. But this is where I'm with sabresandiego_ESO. I created a build that I find fun. While Caluurion might be meta for melee magblade, I don't think that class is anywhere near meta, nor is my build within the class. Meta in the sense of "most effective" at killing people.

Does Caluurion carry my build? Let's say, yes, however I've had this playstyle since before Caluurion. I used to be a 2H / Resto magblade when Forward Momentum was the only means of snare removal. Caluurion was a godsend and, to a lesser degree, Zaan. It makes melee magblade viable, or at least the melee magblade ganker that deals upfront damage, like a stamblade. However, I continue to maintain that many stamblades are better at this than my build, be they melee gankers or snipers.

You're gonna be very smart now and tell me that when I say proc sets compromise builds, that's not true. It's me compromising my build for other reasons, then using a proc set to enable it. I agree, in my case that's true. Perhaps I've overlooked the extent to which that is true and that's colouring my perspective. At the same time you do make some compromises by wearing a proc set and, if you want to make the most of Caluurion, it also affects your playstyle.

Incidentally, I call myself a ganker, because that seems objective. Many people think that's boring. Some look down on it. I can understand how that would be, if you only ever seek out isolated, easy targets. I try to to push the envelope and stay in a brawl as long as I can. I used to run a lot of stamina sustain and even Eternal Hunt at one point. Now I've switched back to shields, a mythic and less stamina sustain. Why? Because it's fun. It's the playstyle I like, even if I'm not the most effective magblade I could be. I'm dangerous to some, but I've also been called "feeble" by a certain member of this forum, who knows me from in game.

From a personal point of view, dumping on Caluurion affects the viability of my build big time. I have no problem with some of your suggestions, such as allowing only one proc set or disallowing Malacath. Others, like reducing all proc damage in both CP and no CP are scary. Doesn't look like you're married to that, but just be mindful of the collateral damage of some of your ideas. They can kill niche builds, such as mine, not just the all proc cheese builds, if you want to call them that. All this uproar and what will ZOS do? They're not known for being subtle.
  • exiledtyrant
    exiledtyrant
    ✭✭✭

Here's a full stat spec this patch on your class, balorgh, war maiden and necro. I intentionally build no recovery so that we have highly buffed tooltips, scaling the damage even higher for stat based builds.

A two hit combination with these two sets yields 37,332 tooltip damage. With full ultimate balorgh, the tooltip goes up to 24,574, with more pen. So roughly 39k ish damage with full balorgh

Here's substituting caluurions for war maiden, feel free to adjust it yourself and compare:

A two hit combo with everything else remaining the same yields a 33,633 tooltip damage. With balorgh at 500 ultimate, it goes up to 22k, so roughly 35k overall damage with this combination at 500 ultimate.

You lose roughly 4k damage on your overall tooltips switching this one set, but you gain 20k proc that is guaranteed to land with this combination every 10 seconds.

So between the two, with the same two hit combination, you have 37k damage(39k fully buffed) vs 55k...which as you know on a magicka nightblade with concealed weapon, caluurions hits almost every time when they're not cc immune. This is reliable burst. This is a difference of 34% in burst when you switch out the one set.

So 31k damage with a 20k tooltip caluurions that will land every 10 seconds = 51k. 51k vs 39k damage, or a % difference of 26% on your overall burst between these two abilities WITH the ability to still proc overwhelming and zaan, which is more damage.

Now you can absolutely say that 500 ultimate balorgh has more pen as well and will do more damage than what the tooltips show, which is 100% true! It's not going to offset 26% damage shown though. Balorgh at 500 ultimate will give you ~17%(11500 pen with 500 ult balorgh divided by 660) more damage with the full pen than what is showing, but it's still not more damage than just the caluurions proc. This is just taking into account caluurions and not overwhelming or zaan of course, which would be an even larger difference in overall damage done, when they proc.

To truly prove proc sets are doing more damage than stat based sets you would have to provide a much more rigorous test:

1. Match the highest stat based set vs the highest proc based set within a 10 second window. Necropotence + Clever alchemist under spell power pot vs Caluurions + Overwhelming with spell power pot.

2. Have both sets under the effect of malacath so their is no critical variance.

3. Match a fairly net neutral helm set that is not prone to variance and player error that benefits both proc and stat based sets equally. I would suggest slimecrawl as nothing can be more generic and straightforward than 8% damage to everything.

4. Test a PvP rotation over 10 seconds with 1, 2 , and 3 weaved skills and determine total damage done after battle spirit for each.

5. Test a PvP opening rotation using 1, 2, and 3 weaved skills and determine how much burst happens within the time frame for each after battle spirit.

I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark. This should be especially true on the 1 ability weave vs the 3 ability weave test as stat based sets get stronger the more damage abilities are used. All this would mean is that proc sets have a niche of being bursty ( better vs lower resistance / health / sustain targets) and stat sets are better at sustained damage ( better vs high resistance / health / sustain targets).

If the burst itself is considered to high than the burst sets have to be put to the test vs setups that counter burst before even considering a nerf. That means taking the standardized test I mention above and stacking it against sets like Juggernaut, Orgnum's Scales etc.. and seeing if burst resistant setups are being overwhelmed. If procs sets warp the meta in a ways that counter based sets can't do their job that is an argument I can get behind. Even then it would have to prove that time to kill is so out of wack that under normal circumstances use of LOS and team play are circumvented by it.

Dueling is not going to provide this kind of data. The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game. These imbalances are put in place to encourage group play and place safety valves on one setup vs another. You can't balance that kind of system in a 1 v1 environment.
    If all are brethren
    How could my hands not tremble
    As breath fled my prey?

What blinds my vision?
    My hands are tools; it must be
    The haze of blossoms

-Salous the Penitent
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark.
    This is actually a good way of looking at it. Proc sets work great when they outright kill someone. You don't want them so strong that that will happen, especially in the hands of a nightblade ganker. If they don't kill someone, though, then my particular build, at least, hits like a wet noodle. This effect will vary by build. Mine is extreme in that regard.
    The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game.
    This is something that took me a long time to grasp and accept. I think maybe some people are holding out for much better set / class / build balance than can ever be achieved, especially those who measure their prowess by duelling.
    Edited by fred4 on July 26, 2020 12:38AM
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To truly prove proc sets are doing more damage than stat based sets you would have to provide a much more rigorous test:

A few things:

10 seconds is too long in my opinion. In pvp on just about every class your window for burst is maybe 2-4 seconds of lining up skills and abilities. Whether it's incap spec bow, dswing/blastbones dawny, dswing leap, curse/mages wrath/meteor/frag etc. Just about every class has a burst combination that is much lower than 10 seconds. If I were to run a test like this, I would do it with the killing combination of a specific class and then compare the differences.

My proc video i posted above, I was killing people with concealed weapon only sometimes, or concealed+ ultimate. That's why I did the comparison that I did. Procs provide a lot of burst and burst is more important in pvp, which is why they can be problematic.

You're more than welcome to do these tests, and I will read it and provide my opinion! I have already posted a video, tested for 4 hours last night and then went through the editor on a combination for a build that i have already ran before and gotten kills with. I have shown my work and my opinion and if you disagree, do this and post it with your findings. I'd love to see a post countering my thoughts with actual substance.

• StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭

1. Match the highest stat based set vs the highest proc based set within a 10 second window. Necropotence + Clever alchemist under spell power pot vs Caluurions + Overwhelming with spell power pot.

2. Have both sets under the effect of malacath so their is no critical variance.

3. Match a fairly net neutral helm set that is not prone to variance and player error that benefits both proc and stat based sets equally. I would suggest slimecrawl as nothing can be more generic and straightforward than 8% damage to everything.

4. Test a PvP rotation over 10 seconds with 1, 2 , and 3 weaved skills and determine total damage done after battle spirit for each.

5. Test a PvP opening rotation using 1, 2, and 3 weaved skills and determine how much burst happens within the time frame for each after battle spirit.

I would hypothesize that there is more burst potential within the first few hits of a proc set than a stat based set which than either falls off altogether or equalizes at the 10 second mark. This should be especially true on the 1 ability weave vs the 3 ability weave test as stat based sets get stronger the more damage abilities are used. All this would mean is that proc sets have a niche of being bursty ( better vs lower resistance / health / sustain targets) and stat sets are better at sustained damage ( better vs high resistance / health / sustain targets).

If the burst itself is considered to high than the burst sets have to be put to the test vs setups that counter burst before even considering a nerf. That means taking the standardized test I mention above and stacking it against sets like Juggernaut, Orgnum's Scales etc.. and seeing if burst resistant setups are being overwhelmed. If procs sets warp the meta in a ways that counter based sets can't do their job that is an argument I can get behind. Even then it would have to prove that time to kill is so out of wack that under normal circumstances use of LOS and team play are circumvented by it.

Dueling is not going to provide this kind of data. The game by design is set up to have class imbalance and extremely niche sets to provide and counter metas within the game. These imbalances are put in place to encourage group play and place safety valves on one setup vs another. You can't balance that kind of system in a 1 v1 environment.

To me, this is the most objective post in this thread. And to me, would be the most accurate to test whether procs are too strong or not.
  • Dovahmiim
    Dovahmiim
    ✭✭✭
    I've run both proc based builds and non-proc based this patch on magden (a class that generally scales up proc damage a fair bit), may be worth mentioning a few of a my observations. They definitely spice up gameplay, from both a combat and visual perspective, they definitely have a place in PvP. The issue is that most current proc sets in the game have higher tooltips than any DOTs available (ie. Icy Conjuror), and do not scale up in effectiveness with the amount of targets you're attacking, as they are single target (Notable exceptions: Vicious Death, Grothdarr). While I understand what you're trying to say here Sabre, your point about "top" players using max stat sets is null, as the reason they do this is because they overwhelmingly fight numbers larger than their own.

Stacking max stats generally will leave you with lower overall pressure compared to a proc build (I say from experience on multiple classes using procs), however you will be more effective with skill based burst combos which are required to get kills in the short offense windows you have in outnumbered combat. Additionally, the usual 10s cooldown of most proc sets makes them less effective in these situations as the proc cooldown will likely not line up with your limited burst windows. That is the main difference between the current proc meta, and the old aprocalypse with viper + tremor, where those 2 sets could reliably be used to get 4x the normal burst in a usual combo, with low cooldowns. The only proc set that may be as cancerous as this in the coming patch is Malacath + Caluurions.

Touching on an earlier point, while max stat builds tend to scale up in effectiveness the more outnumbered the user is, proc builds are precisely the opposite, especially in the case of proc sets that offer single target burst or DOT with higher tooltips than class skills on a max stat build. Especially in the case of single target DOT sets, these offer comparable offense to optimised builds from the DOT meta several patches ago, an offensive strategy that nearly killed smallscale/solo playstyles, due to the lack of counterplay. A general selling point of ESO's PvP is the idea of counterplay, where players with higher mechanical knowledge can beat large numbers of lower skilled players. High tooltip single target proc damage such as Icy Conjuror or Master DW certainly play against this, and even in the current patch, lots of players tend to run gear like this, operating under the assumption that they will outnumber their opponent.

I think so long as proc sets have viable counterplay (ie. selenes/velidreth), they have a place in ESO. However the template of "perform [insert generic action] to place a god strength DOT/burst on a single target with very limited counterplay" is the wrong direction for proc set design to take.

TL;DR:
    Good proc set design - Winterborn (reasonable damage but AOE/utility), Selenes/Velidreth (Avoidable), Valkyn Skoria (Telegraphed, requires build investment to be effective)
    Bad proc set design - Icy Conjuror / Master DW / Hunter's Venom / Caluurions (no counterplay, "just outheal it bro", "slot alliance war purge bro")
    I'm better.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard to say cuz i think with how tanky you can build, if you just rely on malacath and proc sets you can sit happily against 20+ players and pop the weak ones without the need for combos or really much work damage wise. Most pvp tanks I have done are braindead easy and reliable, and with some setups usually the actual sets used are not that important so it wouldnt be too hard to rely on malacath+caluurions for an easy burst.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let's put "fun" aside for a second...are you saying that Proc sets ARE NOT the game dealing damage for you?
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [...]

I have done some testing similar to what you propose and the results were pretty clear :https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6869075#Comment_6869075

Procs are able to provide higher burst and higher sustained pressure than stat sets.
    But not just numbers are in favour of procs. Those sets also allow for a lot more passive/defensive build and playstyle, the dmg they provide is free (no resource and gcd cost) and the trivial proc conditions makes it very easy to gain full benefits from the sets. Meanwhile stat sets typically require more effort for less value.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait until 90% of OP'S death recaps are 3 different proc sets a light attack and maybe 1 skill.

OP, you say proc sets add fun and diversity.

Getting killed by the same 4 or 5 procs sets over and over (which is what it'll be) that have no counterplay outside of a Templar is neither fun nor diverse.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like look at this scenario.

I'm running unleashed terror and Widowmaker.

I press 1 button to use stampede.

With one button press I can:

Do initial damage with the skill
    Apply an AOE damage over time
    Definitely proc 20k damage (base item stat) over 10 seconds
    20% chance to proc 20k damage (base item stat) over 5 seconds
    20% chance to proc my poison, doing additional damage over time

I can even use the maelstrom 2h for an extra damage over time. Make sure it's the axe for even more damage over time

1 click of a button, just 1, can give me the intial damage, plus potentially SIX sources of damage over time (maybe even 7 if Widowmaker can proc poisoned status). 2 of them being stupidly strong. 1 click.

What's fun, good, fair or balanced about that?? What can I do when 4 people use that one button on me? How does a new player deal with that?

Don't forget I can throw malacath into that to buff it all by 25%.

Rest of my build is sustain, a lot of health, a health based heal. Or even a monster set like velidreth etc

Icy Conjuror
    Caleruurion
    Sheer Venom
    Widowmaker
    Unleashed Terror

Get to know their names.

Majority of your death recaps will have them in.

PvP will be whoever can proc the most procs first wins.
    Edited by Brrrofski on July 26, 2020 9:55AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Next patch they're making it faster and more importantly, taking away the crit damage requirement so it now work with malacath.

Just wait, you'll see. Ele drain and swallow soul = 40k damage worth or procs from that and Icy Conjurer. 2 clicks this time, so a bit more skill involved!