Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

onlinegamer1
onlinegamer1
✭✭✭✭✭
When will ZoS be hotfixing 1.1.2 to patch the now-confirmed memory leak?

To be clear, ESO.exe now has a confirmed memory leak. To reproduce:

- Launch game, but stay on the Login screen (do not login)

That's it. You will then see under Windows Task Manager that ESO.exe slowly consumes more and more memory.

That's should be a pretty easy list of steps (ONE) to reproduce the memory leak that even ZoS QA team can understand.

Will this be hotfixed today?
  • MrBeatDown
    MrBeatDown
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they are busy increasing the dps of all magicka casting aoe characters.
  • niocwy
    niocwy
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by niocwy on May 23, 2014 12:22PM
    Look at my profile picture. Visualize that muffin...smelling it...taking a bite...
    Are you hungry now ?
    Good.
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both PvE and PvP are unplayable.
  • LareliRose
    LareliRose
    ✭✭✭
    tested - confirmed
  • Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    Saint_JiubB14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    MrBeatDown wrote: »
    No, they are busy increasing the dps of all magicka casting aoe characters.

you know they nerfed all AoEs and hit Impulse and Broken Talons, right?

Back on topic

since JessicaFolsom and GinaBruno have been tagged I would like an update on when a hotfix may potentially roll out because it is unplayable and a lot of people are unhappy with the stat of the mid-level vet content, also could you update the notes in the near future to include actual changes that appear to possibly be not in there currently (similar to the 1.0.5 nerf to drop rates that didn't show up in notes until now.)

Thank you for your efforts.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one is going to work on this until mid next week at the earliest - big US holiday weekend coming up; they will all be out waving their flags.
  • Regoras
    Regoras
    ✭✭✭
    tengri wrote: »
    No one is going to work on this until mid next week at the earliest - big US holiday weekend coming up; they will all be out waving their flags.

And drinking, you forgot drinking.
  • kalilkareem
    kalilkareem
    Soul Shriven
    I dont know what tools are used to develop the game, but if any kind of memory management with garbage collection is used the test is too simple to determine if a memory leak exists (and yes, it is entirely possible to leak memory even in managed memory environments). In such case the memory would only be collected when it is needed or at some predetermined time interval. To make 100% sure let it run until you run dry on memory and start HDD swapping. If that happens you have a memory leak foosho.
  • BelowAverage
    BelowAverage
    ✭✭
    tengri wrote: »

Oh you mean Memorial Day? When we remember those who have died in wars over time? Like my good friend I served with who had his head blown off his shoulders.. Yeah, I'll be waving my flag for him.
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The non-Americans confused Memorial Day with Independence Day (aka "4th of July"). If we have any flags on Monday, it will be to lay them on graves.
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they will address that issue in 1.2.x just like NB fixes. And it will take another 4~6 weeks. Good luck.
  • esoone
    esoone
    ✭✭✭
    Was the memory leak in the head designers brain by any chance? This would explain alot.
  • MrBeatDown
    MrBeatDown
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moderator Edit: Content removed per our rules on politics.

Edited by ZOS_LeroyW on May 23, 2014 2:43PM
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry this is not confirmed as it doesn't happen to everyone. I am looking at mine now and its staying at a steady 27% and has been for 15 minutes i.e. No leak.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When will ZoS be hotfixing 1.1.2 to patch the now-confirmed memory leak?

To be clear, ESO.exe now has a confirmed memory leak. To reproduce:

- Launch game, but stay on the Login screen (do not login)

That's it. You will then see under Windows Task Manager that ESO.exe slowly consumes more and more memory.

That's should be a pretty easy list of steps (ONE) to reproduce the memory leak that even ZoS QA team can understand.

Will this be hotfixed today?

Cool, because the leak in the Mac version is gone. I haven't crashed once.

I guess they moved it from one platform to the other. ;)
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirmed does not mean "happens to everyone", they are different mental concepts.

So, yes, this IS CONFIRMED.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed does not mean "happens to everyone", they are different mental concepts.

So, yes, this IS CONFIRMED.

When a person i.e you just makes a post stating it is no it isn't. You haven't provided any form of evidence etc. it might be confirmed in your head but your making this on a public forum and as you haven't provided anything whatsoever so to me it is not confirmed at all.
    Edited by Kingslayer on May 23, 2014 1:19PM
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you are not experienced in the field of computer science, you should refrain from trying to refute those of us who are.

The fact that you read the OP's reproducible case on how to see the memory leak, and it didn't occur to you that THAT is a HUGE bug, means you have 0 experience in software development, and need to stay out of the technical side of the conversation.

Those of us with 26 years of software development are able to reproduce the memory leak, and at least 30 of us have CONFIRMED IT.

Therefore, it is CONFIRMED, and we have REPRODUCIBLE CASES to back it up (as documented in the OP).

Thanks for understanding.
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO
    CONFIRMED as well.

Game is unplayable for me ATM.

Windows Vista 64 SP2
    4GB RAM

*It's an old desktop and, yes, I have plans to buy a new one, but the fact is: I was able to play the game without any issues on high definitions prior to patch 1.0.7, after that said patch I would need to quit and log the game each 30 or 40 minutes playing or it would freeze/crash and now, after Craglorn, I can barely stay logged for 5 minutes without freezes or crashes.

And before anyone wonder, no, I didn't change any of my drivers or hardware since I started playing ESO.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    Since you are not experienced in the field of computer science, you should refrain from trying to refute those of us who are.

The fact that you read the OP's reproducible case on how to see the memory leak, and it didn't occur to you that THAT is a HUGE bug, means you have 0 experience in software development, and need to stay out of the technical side of the conversation.

Those of us with 26 years of software development are able to reproduce the memory leak, and at least 30 of us have CONFIRMED IT.

Therefore, it is CONFIRMED, and we have REPRODUCIBLE CASES to back it up (as documented in the OP).

Thanks for understanding.

I work software development You haven't documented anything stop talking twoddle. post your specs and the documentation you have then please. Until then the bug is not confirmed.
  • pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO
    Thanks for the info @onlinegamer1‌ ! I thought my PC got some new malware but, hey, apparently ESO was the malware that ate all me memory :grinning:
    "Do you want the book or not? Then go whack some people with Wabbajack!!"
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/horrible-performance-new-patch-1-1-causing-a-memory-leak/

This thread also confirm this memory leak.

Here's one of the posts in that thread:

"Yeah this memory leak is brutal. This is from the log in screen, never even loaded my character model, this is before even typing in my password:

Time / Physical memory used by ESO client
    3:20 / 360MB
    3:25 / 602MB
    3:30 / 866MB
    3:35 / 1.18GB
    3:40 / 1.48GB
    3:45 / 1.74GB"

THIS IS CRAZY. Fix the game please. We don't pay sub fee for something like this!
    Edited by monkeymystic on May 23, 2014 1:28PM
  • Dymence
    Dymence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, confirmed for me too.
  • Bisset_E
    Bisset_E
    Soul Shriven
    PC user here. No memory problems (at all) pre-patch, although I had the occasional BSOD for reasons I never figured out.

Since the patch I can play for about 40-80 minutes before ESO is using at least 3.6 gb of RAM on my system. If I catch it in time I can close the game, and it actually frees up the RAM. If I don't notice in time it can cause a complete system crash as ESO's mem leak causes other programs to crash as well.

tl;dr ESO memory usage climbs from 1-1.2 gb up to 3.4-3.8 gb within an hour and a half of starting ESO.exe.
    Kingslayer wrote: »
    When a person i.e you just makes a post stating it is no it isn't. You haven't provided any form of evidence etc. it might be confirmed in your head but your making this on a public forum and as you haven't provided anything whatsoever so to me it is not confirmed at all.

I can confirm that it happens and I was able to reproduce memory leaking in the way that OP has described in his post. Several other people have also confirmed that memory leak is there.

My memory usage increases by roughly 1Mb/sec while the game is minimised and left on log-on screen.

If it doesn't happen to you, then kudos to your system, but it doesn't mean that other people don't have it. BTW what was the 27% that you referred to in the earlier post?

EDIT: While I was typing all of that my mem usage has gone up from 199 Mb to 293 with ESO being minimised and on log-on screen

Edited by pavelcherepanskyrwb17_ESO on May 23, 2014 1:31PM
    I work software development You haven't documented anything stop talking twoddle. post your specs and the documentation you have then please. Until then the bug is not confirmed.

OMG!!! Then probably you're not very good at what you do :grinning:

• Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Mine got up to 2.8 Gb by the time it crashed.
  • ozgod22_eso
    ozgod22_eso
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this too. If you leave the game for any period, even if not on the login screen but on the character selection screen, it does start to use more memory. I have 12GB of RAM and had to shut the game down after half an hour AFK because according to Windows 8.1 it was using too much memory and needed to be restarted.
  • kassandratheclericb14_ESO
    Unfortunately this is happening to me also. I can play some but it is a drastic leak just sitting with the launcher up.
  • edu.journeymanub17_ESO

OMG!!! Then probably you're not very good at what you do :grinning:

Haha, I'm wondering the type of software and the company some ppl are working at... I really hope there is nothing related to games or Bethesda/Zenimax.