The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Repair costs

• ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys. Please post 2 numbers: your repair bill and your income during that time.

It's pointless to say 1.5k repairs are too high if you earned 10k during that time. Then it's not too high.

I'm level 41 and I didn't have any repair cost problems so far. I always make way more money than spending on repair bills and I never replaced my gear just because it's damaged. Are you guys seriously running around in self crafted white stuff to save repair bills? *rolleyes*
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElliottXO wrote: »
    Guys. Please post 2 numbers: your repair bill and your income during that time.

It's pointless to say 1.5k repairs are too high if you earned 10k during that time. Then it's not too high.

I'm level 41 and I didn't have any repair cost problems so far. I always make way more money than spending on repair bills and I never replaced my gear just because it's damaged. Are you guys seriously running around in self crafted white stuff to save repair bills? *rolleyes*

I would prefer to spend my money upgrading my bag/bank space or feeding my horse. Not wasting copious amounts of it on repairing armor I plan to replace soon anyway.

It's just a waste due to the insane expense of it.
    Edited by Jeremy on April 25, 2014 3:26PM
    Options
  • Knovah
    Knovah
    ✭✭✭
    I am torn at what way to look at it. The cost is high but I find myself being more cautious with my fights and thinking out ahead of time each battle. (If possible, sometimes you just can't plan for an outcome)

I am guessing that is what they want. If you just run willy nilly into baddies and not care if you die because you can rez on the spot and cheap fix's (with soul shards) it makes the game to easy, imho.

Keep it but maybe drop the cost just a tiny bit.
    Video games ......The only legal place to kill stupid people.
    Options
  • Saihung423
    Saihung423
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 241 gold repair bill, a 41 gold repair bill, and my high was roughly 580.

The earnings during those runs were, roughly, 800, 250, and 2.5k gold. With the character I played last night sitting on 5k gold at level 11.
    Options
  • Kathleen.Flynn02b14_ESO
    I avoided this problem by being ignorant. This is my first MMO, and I'm not the greatest player to begin with. In the beginning I just sold everything I didn't use. Initially this was because I was saving for a horse (I didn't buy imperial edition), but then I just kept doing it. Eventually I realized why everyone was deconstructing stuff and started to do the same. By that point I had saved about $60,000, so I've never had any money problems.
    Options
  • tylarthb16_ESO
    tylarthb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    At V3 did 1 public dungeon with a friend, stayed doing the questline, bosses and spawns til bags were full, gear was freshly repairs at start, and 1800g in damaged at the end with armour value down from 1600 to 600, i was there for about 45 mins.
    Options
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted contents on purpose...
    Edited by RatsnevE on May 2, 2014 2:50AM
    Options
  • Tobiz
    Tobiz
    ✭✭✭
    Dont repair. Not untill you reach 30ish. replace your gear with what you find, doesnt really matter if its not your prefered light/medium/heavy, use another for a while, it helps level that other type of armor. Go by the stats on the item, or the looks, but use the gear you find as you level. Im at 32, and have repaired once. Dont see myself doing it anytime soon, ill just replace the items, and deconstruct them for inspiration. IF you have a very rare item you really want to keep, repair that single item. Repair costs are otherwise OK.
    Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.
    Options
  • Torasi
    Torasi
    ✭✭
    I think that the repair costs are quite alright. The repair costs are costs the you pay because of using something consistently, if these costs were too low, then the economic balance of the game would be thrown off overtime. I do find them to be somewhat frustrating, but if you don't die very frequently and you keep an eye on your gear durability then you can pay those repair prices at the right time when the prices isn't as high and you have more gold. In a way it's a lot like paying tax on using the gear which is a very realistic system to keep the economic balance in check.
    "Only the proud and mighty dare to follow the ways of Talos"
    Options
  • Odysseuss
    Odysseuss

Then I'm guessing you haven't done dungeons, public dungeons, or very difficult content just yet. You will see what some of us are talking about eventually.

Ah. No, that's not the thing. See, I don't die that much. I think that's my problem.

Uh... No, it is because you are level 13 schmuck.

Options
  • Kristov
    Kristov
    Am I the only one who feels repair costs are way out of line?

Last night I got into a situation where I couldn't even teleport due to repair costs. I was literally down to 3g.

I'm okay with repair costs, but they seem to be a bit ridiculous.

m4eLYel.png
    Repair costs may not be your issue. Traveling can be extremely costly.

Not sure if you know this or not, but you can teleport for free from wayshrines. Just run to a shrine, use it, and select your destination. If you travel from your map in the UI it costs a lot.

Also if you travel without using a wayshrine soon after having done so recently you'll spend exponentially more each time (not sure what the cooldown is, I don't like traveling without using the shrines).

If you are conservative in spending the repair costs seem fine, but if you're bleeding gold at every sink you're going to have a lot of issues early on. I've noticed around 40 it seems to get better, but I still never travel without using a wayshrine.
    Options
  • Orizuru
    Orizuru
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who feels repair costs are way out of line?

Last night I got into a situation where I couldn't even teleport due to repair costs. I was literally down to 3g.

I'm okay with repair costs, but they seem to be a bit ridiculous.

m4eLYel.png

I have to ask... What exactly are you spending all your gold on? I can't seem to drop below 10k gold since I reached level 25ish without filling up my inventory with junk I don't need.
    Options
  • lichmeister
    lichmeister
    ✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »
    Has anyone played with their armor gone down to 0%? Does it break and fall off, or does it stay on anyway? And how much difference does it really make in your overall performance?

You just loose the Bonus of the Item. Like "30 Magicka" goes invalid on 0 and grays out

you lose any armour skill bonuses as well as the armour & stat benefits. it stays on your body, though. if your playstyle involves never letting mobs get too close then you wont notice until one actually smacks you.
    Options
  • sarnox
    sarnox
    Lvl 42, farming some mobs. Within 10mins durability goes from 100% to 0% without dying. Repair bill 2k.
    Decided to just play naked, since my light armor passives are pointless while farming then.
    Options
  • Xithian
    Xithian
    ✭✭✭
    Lvl 42, farming some mobs. Within 10mins durability goes from 100% to 0% without dying. Repair bill 2k.
    Decided to just play naked, since my light armor passives are pointless while farming then.

Funny, I did a grind over at least two hours that got me two entire character levels at level 39-41, all inside of the werewolf quest instance (level 42 mobs)... Pure melee combat. My armor took a beating but nothing got broken during that time. And yes, your armor takes damage as a werewolf.
    Edited by Xithian on April 26, 2014 7:48PM
    Options
  • Suave
    Suave
    Definately way out of line, i think there's a difference in playstyle though, i found that on my ranged caster i didn't have to pay that much.
    My lvl 22 DK had its items lose durability to 0 even WITHOUT deaths! repaircost around 1500 in 1 hour.
    People saying "don't repair, just replace the items", well, i'm using set-items that i'm rather fond of.
    Edited by Suave on May 1, 2014 10:20PM
    Options
  • darkmoo
    darkmoo
    Well i think it needs to change im at rank 4 and while i carry 2 sets of armor with me average bag of good is around 1500g - 2000g when i come back to town and i am having a repair bill of close to 4k. my cash supply that i saved all this time is now diminishing. Either reduce the amount of damage gear takes or reduce the amount of gold that it costs to repair.
    Options
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, repair bills are way nasty and need to either A.) come down, costing less gold or B.) we need to take less damage in fights and for death.
    Options
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Repair costs are fine?
    Only go to town to repair when my bag is full, and only pick up the stuff thats worth something, common stackable items like carapaces or foul hides. Elemental salts i leave behind they dont drop that much and is a waste of space, same with recipes.
    My first toon did alot of crafting, which means alot of deconstructing, which means even less income, yet still managed to go up with repairs and everything and buy a 42k horse at level 30ish with hardly selling anything to players.
    If money is really a problem make run in a dungeon and farm mobs, only collect valuables like items with ornate trait and sell it all, if that still dont work i have no clue but you sure as hell are doing something wrong.
    Options
  • Awesometographer
    Awesometographer
    ✭✭✭
    I spent 2 hours last night grinding Cliffs in Coldharbour.

After a vendor / repair trip, I decided to follow my gear decay.

After 30 minutes, and half a level... I did not die ONCE... I hardly took any damage, since it was an efficient group. I popped a quick heal maybe once every other minute... I was hardly even getting hit.

30 minutes of hardly taking damage, and not dying once... and ALL MY GEAR WAS BROKEN - 1,800G repair later (and about 2,000G from vendor items)

That's a broken mechanic if I ever saw one.
    Options
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭

After 30 minutes, and half a level... I did not die ONCE... I hardly took any damage, since it was an efficient group. I popped a quick heal maybe once every other minute... I was hardly even getting hit.

30 minutes of hardly taking damage, and not dying once... and ALL MY GEAR WAS BROKEN - 1,800G repair later (and about 2,000G from vendor items)

Thats your fault, you dont manage loot and just pick up every single thing. Some things are really not worth the space to loot.
    Please explain how i manage to make 2-5k after repairing with one inventory 110 slots and 1/3 or so of those get used for crafting.
    There is nothing wrong with repair bill.

Options
  • methjester
    methjester
    ✭✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »

Thats your fault, you dont manage loot and just pick up every single thing. Some things are really not worth the space to loot.
    Please explain how i manage to make 2-5k after repairing with one inventory 110 slots and 1/3 or so of those get used for crafting.
    There is nothing wrong with repair bill.

You are correct. The fact that there are several reoccurring issues that keep upsetting players to the point that they need to vent here on the forums mean all is well right? Players must be soft right? Gear breaks with no deaths and no damage, but thats cool. No economy, thats cool. Broken quests, class skills and various mechanics, thats cool too. Games fine.

You'll be happy with their broken mechanics, but you'll be alone too.
    Options
  • txfeinbergsub17_ESO
    Armor repair prices are fine. I like that there is actually a penalty for playing badly. I currently have 10K in gold and have held steady there or slightly increased for the last 5 levels. Seems pretty balanced to me. (and that is with spending money on things like bag upgrades, gear, etc)
    Edited by txfeinbergsub17_ESO on May 5, 2014 5:20PM
    Options
  • methjester
    methjester
    ✭✭✭
    Armor repair prices are fine. I like that there is actually a penalty for playing badly. I currently have 10K in gold and have held steady there or slightly increased for the last 5 levels. Seems pretty balanced to me.

You do know armor degrades when you gain XP right? Death and damage have little bearing on taking armor damage. You can solve a puzzle quest with no combat, and your armor will take a hit. The system is flawed.
    Options
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the same logic they used for reducing the item sell values, bosses & containers loot and of course the inexistence of an AH, applied to repair costs.
    Options
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    The bottom line for me I may be approaching is I shouldn't be playing this mmo genre... No more Guild Wars, no WoW (I never did), no DS2, no ESO... It's all designed around social multi-player grouping die-hard gamers. Trying to make a solo adventure out of an MMO is just cruel luck that you can do it at all.

Or... walk away from the game for six months or a year and see then what maybe changes helpful for Solo regarding battle imbalances, repair costs, storage costs, etc. Heck, maybe ZO will make two separate realms out of the game. One PvE and less 'challenging' for the Solo player and one PvP only for all the die-hards to jump into where they can all live it up.
    Options
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yall been brainwashed by wow and wow clones where its just button ramming and hope you have better gear then the other guy.
    Now it takes actually work to get better, and of course, the system is flawed because " I WANNA RAM BUTTONS AND EVERYTHING SHULD BE ONA SILVER PLATTER"
    Meanwhile my gold is going up and up with repairbills, horse food, bank upgrades, inventory upgrades without hardly selling anything to other players.
    Im far from the smartest dude around, or the best gamer in existence, just a mediocre gamer that likes to punch things in the head with a pixilated weapon, if i can figure it out, sure as hell you can too.
    Again, repair bill is not flawed.
    But since yall wow generation, ill spell it out as it is only way you people seem to be able to survive a game:
    Dont run from quest to quest to without looting or killing anything. Dont overflow inventory with 0 gold items or 1g stackables that hardly drop, dont loot low coin items that dont stack, such as potions you dont use, recipes you dont use, dont bother dropping them in guildstore, that costs money and everyone is finding tons of them, including those who want/need it. Basicly youre throwing away money. Its rediculous browsing through stores the stuff you can find. you really think someone is gonna buy 2 foul hides for 100g ( i kid you not, ive seen this in guildstore)?
    And then complain repair bill/economy is broken i guess?
    Edited by Bhakura on May 5, 2014 8:15PM
    Options
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said:

1) Using a Wayshrine to teleport is free. Teleporting without using a wayshrine costs money. Don't be lazy. Go find a wayshrine.

2) Teleporting in quick succession without using a Wayshrine will cost more and more. DON'T DO IT. See #1.

3) Don't deconstruct every single item you find. Think about selling it. Do you REALLY need the mats? Or would you benefit more from the money?

4) If you're leveling up, always be on the lookout for replacement items, rather than repairing your existing stuff. Those traits and enchantments may look enticing, but you'll soon be finding new gear.

5) If you're leveling don't bother upgrading gear past green status quality. Better quality gear = higher price to repair. It's pointless upgrading beyond green, because you'll be out-leveling it soon enough.

6) Armour not at full strength = less damage dealt = more time to get hit before the mob dies = the sooner it cost more to repair. Keep your armour condition topped up. Don't leave it for too long. Plus numerous little repair costs are easier to deal with than one huge repair bill.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on May 5, 2014 8:36PM
    How can you soar with eagles.....when you work with turkeys?
    Options
  • rioinsigniab16_ESO
    rioinsigniab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Do I think that the repair costs are fine?
    Perhaps they need tweaking a bit for the high end quality stuff.

Do I think Clothiers / Blacksmiths should be able to repair players armour?
    Yes. Ofc, that means crafters can repair their own armour, but like everything, there should be a reagent cost involved (just like they can now).
    Maybe repairing armour of other players can give the crafter some crafting XP, so they don't have to completely rely on deconning to get it. Personally I see no reason why crafters couldn't get xp from repairing their own, and other peoples, armour. That would certainly be more realistic than tieing it down to just getting xp from repairing the armour of others.

Allowing crafters to repair other players armour
    This could be a crafting perk, requiring skill points to unlock each quality level.
    Just like in other MMOs, the trading UI could be used. Players place their armour into the trade window, along with money. They select "Repair". And the money changes hands and armour is repaired.
    Edited by rioinsigniab16_ESO on May 5, 2014 8:47PM
    How can you soar with eagles.....when you work with turkeys?
    Options
  • Laerian
    Laerian
    ✭✭✭
    Too complicated, cut the repair cost by 1/5. End of story.
    Options