The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Repair costs

chaosngn_ESO
chaosngn_ESO
✭✭✭
Am I the only one who feels repair costs are way out of line?

Last night I got into a situation where I couldn't even teleport due to repair costs. I was literally down to 3g.

I'm okay with repair costs, but they seem to be a bit ridiculous.

m4eLYel.png
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had any trouble getting gold. I'm at level 13, with 5k gold, and this is after getting the first two bank and bag expansions.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Zagadka
    Zagadka
    ✭✭
    I think the cash income is sufficiently balanced. You do have to resist buying stuff early on (you level out of it very quickly).

That said, I feel like the quest rewards are really... stupid. They don't even make an effort to match your class, so you end up with completely useless loot.
  • BmcD73
    BmcD73
    ✭✭✭
    Then you haven't had a 1k repair bill yet. Spending 1/5 of your wealth at level 13 is too much. Especially when your intro horse costs 17k. I had a technical problem yesterday where I was falling infinately in the clouds. The only thing I could do is /stuck which damaged my gear. That didn't work. So I did it again. Damaged my gear. Didn't work and damaged my gear. I guess third time's a charm because it worked but guess what? Damaged my gear. Then we tried the first group dungeon and wiped like 50 times. Each of us had about a 1k repair bill.

I've been able to live with my mangled gear until the next even level where I can make new stuff. Either the durability or the cost of repair to be adjusted.
  • chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This ^

After hours of questing and obtaining 1500 gold, spending 800 of it on repair is not what I see as fun or balanced.

m4eLYel.png
  • Ellorra
    Ellorra
    ✭✭✭
    We talked about an issue last night with repairs in Cyrodiil. If you take PVE damage while doing a quest or a Dark Anchor in Cyrodiil, do not repair there. It will cost you level 50 costs to repair. If you port out of Cyrodill, log off and then log back in before you repair or it will still think you are level 50 and charge you accordingly.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BmcD73 wrote: »
    Then you haven't had a 1k repair bill yet. Spending 1/5 of your wealth at level 13 is too much. Especially when your intro horse costs 17k. I had a technical problem yesterday where I was falling infinately in the clouds. The only thing I could do is /stuck which damaged my gear. That didn't work. So I did it again. Damaged my gear. Didn't work and damaged my gear. I guess third time's a charm because it worked but guess what? Damaged my gear. Then we tried the first group dungeon and wiped like 50 times. Each of us had about a 1k repair bill.

I've been able to live with my mangled gear until the next even level where I can make new stuff. Either the durability or the cost of repair to be adjusted.

Ok, but you are talking about a bug costing you to much. That is not a valid way to decide if it's to expensive.

I have almost 2k gold at level 12 and have no issues with money at all. The type of loot you get is stupid since you can't choose what you want, just sell that item though and that is more money.

• chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. That's good to know. Thanks for passing that along. But, the primary problem is outside of Cyrodil. You are spending half or more of what you've made on repairs.

m4eLYel.png
  • JunkyardWolf
    JunkyardWolf
    ✭✭
    Wow. That's good to know. Thanks for passing that along. But, the primary problem is outside of Cyrodil. You are spending half or more of what you've made on repairs.

m4eLYel.png

If your spending that much maybe don't die so often? That's the only time my armor takes a significant hit.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If your spending that much maybe don't die so often? That's the only time my armor takes a significant hit.

Have to agree. The highest repair bill I've seen was 200-300 gold.
    ----
    Murray?
  • TerraDewBerry
    TerraDewBerry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the repair costs are way over the top.
  • chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Have to agree. The highest repair bill I've seen was 200-300 gold.

Then I'm guessing you haven't done dungeons, public dungeons, or very difficult content just yet. You will see what some of us are talking about eventually.

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then I'm guessing you haven't done dungeons, public dungeons, or very difficult content just yet. You will see what some of us are talking about eventually.

Ah. No, that's not the thing. See, I don't die that much. I think that's my problem.
    ----
    Murray?
  • chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Ah. No, that's not the thing. See, I don't die that much. I think that's my problem.

Well, for those of us pushing the more difficult content, it's an issue.
  • greymist2000
    i find that if i make everything i use/equip it helps me save money for things later on 6k lvl 7
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, for those of us pushing the more difficult content, it's an issue.

Again, I'm doing that stuff. I'm just not dying.
    ----
    Murray?
  • LoreRunner
    LoreRunner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran multiple dungeons as tank (lots of damage and death for me) and still only ever had a repair bill of around 400g. That was with almost all of my armor being down to 1-3 / max. Note that if you crafted your own gear that you could always just break it or sell it and then craft yourself your gear again (or exchange it for better gear that you found). I have also only repaired about 3 or 4 times since Sunday. Most of the time my gear gets halfway dead and I have already out-leveled it so much that I should have exchanged it anyways.

As for the /stuck issue. Have you tried taking the gear off before using /stuck to get out of the issue?
    If you like my thoughts, feed my addiction! Give me forum credit! :)
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night I got into a situation where I couldn't even teleport due to repair costs. I was literally down to 3g.

Teleporting is free if you use a wayshrine to initiate the teleport. Only costs you money if you teleport to a wayshrine from your map.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree it's a bit frustrating. I have lost so much durability because of being kicked mid-fight or /stuck or a boss fight not completing correctly (I'm looking at you, Balreth :angry: ). However, being smart with your money and gear helps tons at earlier levels. Don't break down/research until you can afford it. Don't buy weapons and potions; make them! When you're out in the world, actively look for chests and sellable resourceslike jute and iron. I'm at 3k even with repair costs, so it is manageable. Just keep in mind that most of us are early level, yet. We're supposed to start low on resources and work our way up.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    Few tips for repair cost being to high:
    Just DONT REPAIR STUFF at NPC

If you need to use /stuck - go nekid first << no equipment damage
    If your equipment is heavy damaged (like 75-95%) deconstruct it, and craft new gear of same quality. Taht way you only pay for racial stones (if you dont have some stashed)

IF you have a good item you want to keep (like blue rarity, or good quest reward) -repair it using Repair Kits, not NPC repair option.
    Kits are sold at most "General" type merchants.
    Kits price is like 1/4 -1/8 of repair cost of highly dameged good items
  • Jasstenn
    Jasstenn
    ✭✭
    Stop dying so much, repairing wont be as costly... try using Provisioning or Potions to augment your health or whatever is causing you to die so much, or maybe you need to revisit your gear.
    Somebody ate my sweet roll.

Marrowind Musketeers
    Guild Officer
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zagadka wrote: »
    I think the cash income is sufficiently balanced. You do have to resist buying stuff early on (you level out of it very quickly).

That said, I feel like the quest rewards are really... stupid. They don't even make an effort to match your class, so you end up with completely useless loot.

Even without dying, as melee I do notice repair costs.

As far as loot, you can vendor or deconstruct for crafting points so it is not all bad.

Edited by Yankee on April 2, 2014 5:53PM
  • YourNameHere
    YourNameHere
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had any trouble getting gold. I'm at level 13, with 5k gold, and this is after getting the first two bank and bag expansions.

May i enquire how? Did you sell things you found in regards to armor and weapons?

I'm level 10 and I never get over 500g. I do not buy anything I need, as I make it. I do all quests I find. I'm stumped!
    NA Megaserver / RPer
    Alinyssa Gaethar - AD || Raahni-do - AD || Wind-In-Tree's-Shadow - DC
  • Hadria
    Hadria
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lvl 12 here not seen over 500 in repairs yet. I don't die that often either. :D
  • Seraseth
    Seraseth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm level 10 and bought 2 bag expansions and 1 bank upgrade and have a little over 1000g. I've never bought a single item, and I haven't sold any item that wasn't vendor trash or ornate, I break it all up and hoard it for my crafters. I also open every single shelf, basket, dresser, etc that I find, sell duplicate recipes, and turn all the provisioning ingredients into food then sell that.
  • pokebreaker
    pokebreaker
    ✭✭

May i enquire how? Did you sell things you found in regards to armor and weapons?

I'm level 10 and I never get over 500g. I do not buy anything I need, as I make it. I do all quests I find. I'm stumped!

I'm level 13 or 14, and I have about 8k-9k banked (saving for the entry-level mount). I have only repaired my gear maybe twice. I usually end up with upgraded gear before it gets completely broken, so I just swap out and sell/deconstruct. So really, the extra income will probably come at a slight cost to crafting progression. Low level white and green items are valuable to sell. I was also farming the PvP zone repeatable quest to kill 20 players, which is being patched once the servers come back up.
  • Bloodsip
    Bloodsip
    ✭✭
    Seraseth wrote: »
    I'm level 10 and bought 2 bag expansions and 1 bank upgrade and have a little over 1000g. I've never bought a single item, and I haven't sold any item that wasn't vendor trash or ornate, I break it all up and hoard it for my crafters. I also open every single shelf, basket, dresser, etc that I find, sell duplicate recipes, and turn all the provisioning ingredients into food then sell that.

This is me exactly. Except I am lvl 14

• nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly what other people said. I don't die often. I sell any equipment that has the "sell to vendor for more" trait, and I open everything. I mainly cook food to sell it at this point, and I pick up recipes I don't know to sell them. Also jewelry; can't help with crafting, so sell it.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Katrisa
    Katrisa
    ✭✭✭
    I don't die at all, but using crafted gear my level nets REALLY high repair costs. I faced a 500g repair cost today at level 9 with only 2000 gold. This was with my gear half worn. It was insane. If I wanted to cough up the repair supplied I could easily replace that gear for less than the repair cost (what the ?!).

So yes repair costs are way too high at lower levels. They are completely out of line. Enough so that I filed a bug on this issue today.
  • Katrisa
    Katrisa
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend others file a bug on repairs costs as well. This will make it more difficult for development to ignore the issue.

Side note I do "have" enough money but I feel like I'm having to spend carefully to actually have any due to the design of the system (which is a poor design IMO)
  • Granz
    Granz
    ✭✭
    I agree they are out of line. Getting the 1k repair bill really is a kick you know where. Try doing an instance and dieing a bunch and getting the bill. It's way too high.