Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Repair costs

• TheVindelator
    TheVindelator
    ✭✭✭
    I often find myself crafting my gear to avoid the repair bill. I don't think the costs are game breaking for me, but they are way, way higher than I'd expect.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of it is that there is simply very few things in this game you need gold for. Repairs, mounts, bag/bank. That's pretty much it.
  • chaosngn_ESO
    chaosngn_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I often find myself crafting my gear to avoid the repair bill. I don't think the costs are game breaking for me, but they are way, way higher than I'd expect.
    \

This. It's quite silly that it's cheaper to buy new gear than it is to repair. People keep saying don't die, or I don't have repair bills over X. What you are not noticing is that your repair bills are the same or more as my 1k to 1.5k

The reason is that you are repairing more often than I am, so it seems like a low amount to you. I typically wait until I'm very low or zero to repair. But if you figure that you repair three times in the course of time that I repair once, guess what? Your repair bill is still high. My point being is that 1.5k or more to repair all of your armor if necessary from breaking point is crazy. Especially if you are grinding or farming. When I'm out farming, I might make 1k or so on the drops I vendor. Then that immediately goes back to repair, so there's been very little gain.

• Turrican
    Turrican
    ✭✭
    No, I do not agree. In these type of MMOs there is absolutely no cost/punishment for dying. Where there is no risk there really is no reward, no intensity that comes from a fear of failure. A high repair fee is at least something that goes towards making failure in the game unwelcome. Personally, I would have it far worse; your corpse being looted, losing experience, etc.
  • Ummaguma
    Ummaguma
    ✭✭✭
    I found a trick to keeping repair bills low... dont die.
    I may or may not be spending too much time with Sheogorath, but I cant help it... He makes the BEST Nachos! >:)
  • MaxBat
    MaxBat
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're fine, but I keep my weapons in repair. The highest I've seen is around 200g.
    "Funny that magic doesn't work when a mace caves in your skull."

Playing on a PC, NA Server, since that very first day ...
  • SuperScrubby
    SuperScrubby
    ✭✭✭
    Dying isn't the only thing that causes your gear to deteriorate. Using skills and in general fighting mobs will degrade your armor over time so even if you "don't die" you'll still end up having to repair your gear. They made it this way to create more money sinks for people.
  • Ummaguma
    Ummaguma
    ✭✭✭
    I said the trick to keep them LOW is to not die... just saying.
    I may or may not be spending too much time with Sheogorath, but I cant help it... He makes the BEST Nachos! >:)
  • zoetaz1616
    zoetaz1616
    ✭✭
    I did a grind dungeon that was bugged, it took us hours to win. All our gear was destroyed. I proceeded to play naked for 8 lvls, including PVP. I had no trouble without armor at all with quests my level or above. My PVP kill ratio was about 14 to 1 as well. PLAY NAKED!!! It's really cheap and you have no worries with money saving.
  • Sarcoth
    Sarcoth
    ✭✭
    Sometimes when I'm sitting around in town doing nothing, the message "Your gear has been damaged" or something like that appears on my screen. I can understand it taking damage when I die, but I think it is also happening when you are in combat and when not. I agree, the costs are too high. Or, at the very least, the ways equipment becomes damaged is too extensive. Instead of lowering the cost, they could adjust what and how easily equipment becomes damaged.

IMO, it's definitely too high of a cost. I refuse to repair equipment, instead I just craft something or wait until I find a piece to replace my damaged gear.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my armor is fully destroyed (0%) it costs 4k to repair.
    But I don't!
    I break it down and remake it. Even buying the parts to make it 'BLUE' again costs so much LESS then 4k! About 1k to buy all the parts, but normally I have most of the parts already.

So instead of repairing. Remake your armor and you get to level your armor up and your crafting skills.

The annoy part is your armor gets damages per hit, not just per death. Just wish I could make repair kits. Seems odd they I can rebuild my armor but I can't repair it myself.

Would be nice, if the armor was made by you, that you could REPAIR it also using materials instead of paying gold.
    Edited by Natjur on April 9, 2014 8:21PM
  • rosseloh
    rosseloh
    Ummaguma wrote: »
    I found a trick to keeping repair bills low... dont die.
    I don't. (Too often)

Repairs still cost me 1200 gold at level 22 after a no-death questing run. It's true that my cash income is lower than some (because I deconstruct all gear rather than vendor it), but it is still kinda ridiculous.

• ElliottXO
    ElliottXO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zoetaz1616 wrote: »
    I did a grind dungeon that was bugged, it took us hours to win. All our gear was destroyed. I proceeded to play naked for 8 lvls, including PVP. I had no trouble without armor at all with quests my level or above. My PVP kill ratio was about 14 to 1 as well. PLAY NAKED!!! It's really cheap and you have no worries with money saving.

PVP is scaled with fix stats. So there is no difference in using armor or not. I don't think it decays in PVP anyway.
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Zagadka wrote: »
    I feel like the quest rewards are really... stupid. They don't even make an effort to match your class, so you end up with completely useless loot.

That's because crafting counts in this game. It matters. Just deconstruct it...or sell it on your trade guild.

Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Lamprey
    Lamprey
    I don't have a problem with the price, pre se.. Rather, I have an issue with the rate with which my armor gets damaged from questing and killing, without dying. It seems like after a couple of hours all my armor is half damaged.
  • SexyVette07
    SexyVette07
    ✭✭✭
    What irritates me the most is that you could not take any damage at all but if you are out killing stuff, your gear is still going to lose durability! SHENANIGANS!
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been testing light, medium and heavy armor to see if they get damaged at different rates (not damage from death, just damage from combat)

Also testing the trait 'sturdy' and see how that effects non death armor damage.

It appears the trait Sturdy does slow down the 'normal' item decay from combat and it also appears that heavy armor gets damaged slower then light and medium.

So far light and medium appear to be damaged at the same rate but I need to increase my testing sample.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    DanteYoda wrote: »
    This as well i'm find combat is buggy as sometimes i'll attack things and i do no damage, the thing is right in front of me dead in my sights and nothing.. if my target is off 1 mm i'll attack something else and sometimes my character wont even attack, i'm pressing the skills and nothing or 2 secs later it'll attack, all these things equal bills, when i shouldn't be getting bills....

Do you have a good connection? That sounds like latency.
    Well i'm in Australia, but the game seems to run smooth as until i enter an instance of some type then i get this odd 2 sec delay that is getting me killed over and over, also the no ui on debuffs is stupid, i can't tell if im having connection issues or i'm debuffed, it might be awesome for close to the server connection players but being over seas its driving me away..
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    \

This. It's quite silly that it's cheaper to buy new gear than it is to repair. People keep saying don't die, or I don't have repair bills over X. What you are not noticing is that your repair bills are the same or more as my 1k to 1.5k

The reason is that you are repairing more often than I am, so it seems like a low amount to you. I typically wait until I'm very low or zero to repair. But if you figure that you repair three times in the course of time that I repair once, guess what? Your repair bill is still high. My point being is that 1.5k or more to repair all of your armor if necessary from breaking point is crazy. Especially if you are grinding or farming. When I'm out farming, I might make 1k or so on the drops I vendor. Then that immediately goes back to repair, so there's been very little gain.

I can't do that, if i waited for it to be 1.5k i'd have no money..
    Turrican wrote: »
    No, I do not agree. In these type of MMOs there is absolutely no cost/punishment for dying. Where there is no risk there really is no reward, no intensity that comes from a fear of failure. A high repair fee is at least something that goes towards making failure in the game unwelcome. Personally, I would have it far worse; your corpse being looted, losing experience, etc.

If i wanted punishments, risk and fear of failure i'm be out doing them in real life not asking for it in a game i play for enjoyment...
    Edited by DanteYoda on April 10, 2014 3:17AM
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    I too think repair costs are too high. Even cut in half, they're still high for new players. And without an auction house, there is just no way to make good money in this game. Vendoring harvested mats is hardly going to get you rich, and vendoring loot drops is even worse. Not to mention that if you craft, you have no loot drops left to sell after breaking them all down anyway.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't run into this issue, probably because I'm replacing gear fast enough that I never repair it. I'm deconstructing/replacing gear every couple levels.
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not to invalidate the opinion, but personally on all of my characters I have more gold than I seem to need. Haven't sold anything on an AH; just vendor stuff I don't use for crafting. My chars all seem to have around 1000gold multiplied by their level.
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • cabbageub17_ESO
    cabbageub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It is highly annoying that using the "stuck" command damages your gear. Especially b/c for me it's always been some game glitch that got me stuck.
  • l-wilson-1986b16_ESO
    Done every dungeon up to level 50 and never had over 800g in repair bills yet. Guess i've just been lucky with groups.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is highly annoying that using the "stuck" command damages your gear. Especially b/c for me it's always been some game glitch that got me stuck.

Get naked before doing /stuck.
  • blauschwinge
    blauschwinge
    ✭✭
    Yes repair costs are indeed WAY OUT OF LINE. I get like 2K bills all the time just from jumping down small heights and getting the odd death in public dungeons where large mobs of crappy unfair enemies spawn right in your face which is a problem for a Solo Sorcerer. The amount the npcs ask is outrageous I can cheaply get a whole set of new gear from our guild store, its so freaking annoying that I NEVER repair, because I mostly earn gold from quests since I deconstruct everything thats not ornate. Prices need to drop to a 10th of what it is now, I dont play the game to carry my hard earned gold to an npc every 30mins because an assassin beetle decided to fart at my armor while I was dune surfing.
    Edited by blauschwinge on April 18, 2014 1:06AM
  • Noth
    Noth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes repair costs are indeed WAY OUT OF LINE. I get like 2K bills all the time just from jumping down small heights and getting the odd death in public dungeons where large mobs of crappy unfair enemies spawn right in your face which is a problem for a Solo Sorcerer. The amount the npcs asks is outrageous I can cheaply get a whole set of new gear from our guild store, its so freaking annoying that I NEVER repair, because I mostly earn gold from quests because I deconstruct everything thats not ornate. Prices need to drop to a 10th of what it is now, I dont play the game to carry my hard earned gold to an npc every 30mins because an assassin beetle decided to fart at my armor while I was dune surving.

As of VR3 I have never had a 2000 gold repair bill and that is with all VR2 gear that has all been at 0%. I've never been short of cash, I only sell what I don't use, and I die quite often, way more than I'd like. I'm can buy a second 42k horse and my last upgrades for my bank and bag and still have money left over. ALmost all my income is from quests alone.
  • thisisdustinsemail_ESO
    Just do what I do, and play with your character completely naked.

I'm a healer with very little offensive abilities, and I can still survive pretty well going solo. I don't have to suffer repair bills, and I don't have to waste my time crafting new armor or anything.

And I think the fact that I can say that means there's something wrong with this system...
    Edited by thisisdustinsemail_ESO on April 18, 2014 1:26AM
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i do with they would give those who can smith the ability to fix armor and weapons..i mean come on you MADE them did you not?
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • cubansyrusb16_ESO
    cubansyrusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Purple quality Vet 2 daedric armour + shield ... full repair 2.2k

Lets see you craft that for the same amount as players are saying above, its also far better than Vet 5 gear im finding so no chance to replace it for a while.

Quest rewards are around 200-300g which means you have to do 6-8 quests to make the cash to repair, by the time you make said cash to repair you are repairing again.

I play a tanky DK, avoiding damage is not an option .... bit more than a gold sink its barely breaking even seen as item drops are worth around 40-60 gold depending.
    Edited by cubansyrusb16_ESO on April 18, 2014 1:32AM