Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread, "Unveiling The New Arcanist Class"

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
f8r6xkmep642.jpg
This is the official discussion thread for, "2023 Global Reveal- Unveiling The New Arcanist Class"

"Learn more about ESO’s new Arcanist class, just announced as part of the 2023 ESO Global Reveal!"

Sound off below and let us know what you think of the new class!
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on March 23, 2023 2:21PM
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The class and companions look great but overall am quite disappointed as I feel the game also needed a major system that changed the overland like Spell crafting where it would add content to the entire world as players needed to explore and find new spells like was mentioned in 2014. The overland zones end up being bland and boring because they pose no challenge and Cyrodiil hasn't changed or had any shake up in years and requires a major facelift to make it interesting again. The Q4 system described sounds instanced PvE something that won't add life to the games hand crafting zones which need a facelift as well especially the major cities. Anyway my two cents
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will we get more character slots? You know, for those of us already attached to 18 characters?
    PC-EU
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broken23 wrote: »
    Will we get more character slots? Or do we have to delete a character to be able to be an Arcanist?

free character slot with chapter purchase

So now we know!

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I saw new class, I was like omg yes!!! Then saw what is was….and disappointed really. Don’t think centring a class around a daedric Prince was a good move. It just feels abit….meh. Not been playing for a while and was hoping this would ignite my passion for the game again. Sadly not.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why was the Class centered completely around Hermaeus Mora? At first I was excited, cause I'm a Mage lover at heart, but when I saw the whole Class identity was eyeballs and tentacles the excitement drained real quick. I'm having the same experience I had with the Necromancer. If instead the reveal was an Unarmed Magicka weapon skill tree I would be through multiple roofs right now. But, now I'm left knowing there will be a second Class I won't ever touch.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Khenarthi wrote: »
    Will we get more character slots? You know, for those of us already attached to 18 characters?

Yes! We are getting two new slots taking the total to 20!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »

Why not 21? Three of each class, one for each role, it's so obvious.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    When I saw new class, I was like omg yes!!! Then saw what is was….and disappointed really. Don’t think centring a class around a daedric Prince was a good move. It just feels abit….meh.
    I also don't really like the idea of a class centered around a daedric prince, or anything super specific like that. It's like the Morrowind-theme in warden but amplified.

The parts that are just magical and runic looking are very nice. I would have to headcanon the skills like the tentacle arm as something else.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i never thought i would go past 10 characters because of all the work to set up a new one, but apocrypha themed class? yes please sign me up for at least 2 more lol

plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭

Are there any thoughts on class changes?
    We need a way of changing class, even if only once per toon!
    After years of having a main, I've done every quest in the game, i've all my skill lines leveled, i've so much grind put in. I want to play with the new class (it looks AMAZING) but I won't actively be able to without class changing :/

I want to keep playing the story with my character who i'm attached too...but that'll lock me out of enjoying a new feature.

ZOS, you can do this in a way where you still control the grind-skip Crown Store items.
    Make the tokens limited so people can't change at will. Sell them only when a new class or massive balance change drops. Do it only once, I don't know, but please, we need this! Please think about it at least!
  • Von_Yorshe
    Von_Yorshe
    Soul Shriven
    I am pretty excited for this new class, it's something that I felt like was missing for the past couple of years in the new content. Already brainstorming character ideas and I still gotta wait 5 months lol
  • Jeirno
    Jeirno
    ✭✭✭✭
    The class looked great, I love the idea of a combo system so hoping it works seamlessly without heavy micromanaging on anything like that.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it also makes one of each per alliance.
  • Trinotops
    Trinotops
    ✭✭✭✭
    A new class with a cool new mechanic while all the original classes are left to rot.
  • acastanza_ESO
    acastanza_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Look, I'm as excited for this class as anyone, it looks AWESOME!
    But calling it a "feature" was pretty misleading. A feature is something that existing characters can participate in. This isn't.

Also, any chance you can finally give us class change tokens?!
    I desperately want my main to be an Arcanist (from what we've seen, it's everything I always wanted out of Sorcerer but didn't get), but the thought of having to start over makes me want to give up.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    i mean the class looks cool and probably plays really well so i'll definitely check it out and probably play it a good amount, but i'm really disappointed.

spellcrafting or a new weapon like one handed melee weapon and rune was something i really wanted because i can use those on my existing character. a new class means a new character. i can't use those cool portals or spells on my frost warden.
    pre-existing characters haven't gotten a new skill line since 2018 so i really hope that next year is one, or hell, maybe even 2 of those things.

the Q4 system was disappointing to me as well since i was hoping that it would be an announcement for something to do with veteran overland or something similar to revitalize old content. but i'm sure it's probably got some good rewards that are worthwhile, and might be a lot of fun with a leaderboard.

overall, this is definitely going to be a better year than either blackwood or high isle but, after those 2 years being really bland, i really needed something i'm super interested in to really reinvigorate me. this is like a mild refresher.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on January 25, 2023 9:49PM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Seminolegirl1992
    Seminolegirl1992
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excited for new slots as an rp person, but I really want class change tokens tbh. Sometimes a new class comes along that fits an existing character more than what I gave them originally, but recreating them is not just tedious but we often grow attached to characters we've had for a long time. It's not so simple as, "well just create a new one!" What if I want one of my favorite toons to be an arcanist?
    @Seminolegirl1992 PC/NA CP 2300+ PVE, PVP, RP, Housing: Tel Galen, Fair Winds, Moon Sugar, Grand Psijic, Forsaken, HOTLC, Bastion, Ravenhurst, Gardner, Alinor, Hakkvild's, Gorinir, Kragenhome, Hundings, & more- feel free to come see!
    Main PVE: Rynne, breton mag dk
    PVP: Levexa, EP nord mag dk
    Crafter: Sabaki Taiyo, khajiit templar
    RP: N'zuri, Penelope Mecoud, Vhenasi Galanodel, Alassea Rilynn'urdrenn, Taiga Soulhammer, Jhaneyl Everhath, Nym Baenre, Eilistraee, Levexa, Rynne Galanodel, Mielikki, Hanali Celanil, Arwen Galanodel, Grainne. I think I have a problem.
    Former Empress | Swashbuckler Supreme | Godslayer | Gryphon Heart | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Dro-m'athra Destroyer | Dawnbringer
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    > Apocryphal Gate

You took away the ability to travel vertically with chains from Dragonknights years ago due to being "highly exploitable" in PvP.
    And now you're essentially making it a selling point of a new class. Booo.

Give back vertical targeting and pulls for Dragonknights. At least outside of Cyrodiil.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoolBlast3 wrote: »

After years of having a main, I've done every quest in the game, i've all my skill lines leveled, i've so much grind put in. I want to play with the new class (it looks AMAZING) but I won't actively be able to without class changing :/

I want to keep playing the story with my character who i'm attached too...but that'll lock me out of enjoying a new feature.

ZOS, you can do this in a way where you still control the grind-skip Crown Store items.
    Make the tokens limited so people can't change at will. Sell them only when a new class or massive balance change drops. Do it only once, I don't know, but please, we need this! Please think about it at least!

That is a nothing issue, just change to a different toon.
    Yeah sure if you only wanted to do the PVE story once but wanted to play as X class and your main is Y class, it is a bit annoying but the PVE is so easy it doesn't even matter what class you play as as everything dies by spamming one skill.

With the universal achievements tied to every account now, it is so easy to just switch a different toon and still make overall progress in grindy content.
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    With the introduction of Arcanist, can you delete Sorc, please?
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Cast_El
    Cast_El
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds awesome 👍😎
  • thejadefalcon
    thejadefalcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it also makes one of each per alliance.

Also true! I currently have 6 in each alliance, it would be nice to not break that streak either!
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

Yeah sure if you only wanted to do the PVE story once but wanted to play as X class and your main is Y class, it is a bit annoying but the PVE is so easy it doesn't even matter what class you play as as everything dies by spamming one skill.

With the universal achievements tied to every account now, it is so easy to just switch a different toon and still make overall progress in grindy content.

It isn't a nothing issue. It's hundreds of hours of being connected to a character thrown away just to be able to do content we paid for lol. I get not everyone does the "roleplaying" part of the massively multiplayer roleplaying game, but it's still a valuable aspect of it.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin the article link doesn't seem to work at the moment, getting a 502 Bad Gateway on PC and a "THIS PAGE IS NOT THE ONE YOU SEEK" on mobile.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • laurajf
    laurajf
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Why was the Class centered completely around Hermaeus Mora? At first I was excited, cause I'm a Mage lover at heart, but when I saw the whole Class identity was eyeballs and tentacles the excitement drained real quick. I'm having the same experience I had with the Necromancer. If instead the reveal was an Unarmed Magicka weapon skill tree I would be through multiple roofs right now. But, now I'm left knowing there will be a second Class I won't ever touch.

This is exactly how I feel. I can't play the necromancer either because of the visuals, and I'm not sure if I could play this either unless I can piecemeal skills together that don't look too ridiculous (to me).

I'll have to reinstall PTS and see how it feels/looks when the time comes. Can't really say much else yet.
  • Eclipse318
    Eclipse318
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Why was the Class centered completely around Hermaeus Mora? At first I was excited, cause I'm a Mage lover at heart, but when I saw the whole Class identity was eyeballs and tentacles the excitement drained real quick.

Could not agree more. 1000%
    That stuff squicks me out and I won't be going anywhere near it. Hard nope.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Maitsukas wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin the article link doesn't seem to work at the moment, getting a 502 Bad Gateway on PC and a "THIS PAGE IS NOT THE ONE YOU SEEK" on mobile.

That's odd. I just tried it and it worked. What browser are you using?
    Staff Post
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »

It isn't a nothing issue. It's hundreds of hours of being connected to a character thrown away just to be able to do content we paid for lol. I get not everyone does the "roleplaying" part of the massively multiplayer roleplaying game, but it's still a valuable aspect of it.

Roleplaying is cool, but quite simply what are you missing out on by just changing characters?
    You can swap the gear from your main to alt via the back, back and forth, or create and earn gear for the alt instead.
    The alt can get every skill the main can get except the 3 unique class skill lines.
    The alt can do every quest the main can do.
    And now with universal achievements, minus a few unique achievements, the alts progress (in most achievements) is shared with the main.

There is little in the way of restriction other than the one you are making for yourself.

I am not against class change, and even myself I pretty much always play with my main, but if I really wanted to change to a different character, there is nothing stopping me.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, I'm as excited for this class as anyone, it looks AWESOME!
    But calling it a "feature" was pretty misleading. A feature is something that existing characters can participate in. This isn't.

Also, any chance you can finally give us class change tokens?!
    I desperately want my main to be an Arcanist (from what we've seen, it's everything I always wanted out of Sorcerer but didn't get), but the thought of having to start over makes me want to give up.

I don't think the new class is the feature. Near the end, they mentioned a new infinite dungeon system to be released in an update after the Necrom chapter.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »

That's odd. I just tried it and it worked. What browser are you using?

Firefox on Windows 10 and Chrome on my phone.

xbm1b7xcjdcb.png
    g31sb0hrlmwh.jpg
    Edited by Maitsukas on January 25, 2023 10:12PM
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.