The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Why no love for Templar?

• West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Mayrael wrote: »
    [snip]

I won't search for exact patch numbers but I will do so if forced to, this is just last few patches.
    Living dark/Unstable core overbuff;
    Ritual being cleanse, soft cc, damage and heal tool at the same time while twisting path was nerfed because of being damage and healing skill at the same time;
    PoTL/Purifying Light being bugged (in favor of templars) for very long.
    Templars as the only ones evading cast time on burst ult.

Many of those things were balanced after some time bringing templars more in line with vanilla classes, that's true, but please stop overreacting.

This patch minor/major tweaks we can see for magblades bring only nerfs, while templars now get unique (very easy) access to minor sorcery, minor breach and all 3 minor recovery's which all got buffed.

Are templars top class? For sure no! Are they bottom class? No way.

[snip] Most peoples recovery is around 500-900. Even if you took 20% of that, its still an awful number. Yahoo my recovery goes up a little but only if i slot repentance and have it front bar'd.

I stopped playing my magplar entirely a few patches ago to play a magblade. It was like switching from a Toyota to a Ferrari. Ranged spammable that is a HoT, shade, options on builds depending on group (cripple for the cheap DoT vs lotus fan for the minor vulnerability), unique buffs in reave and 20% additional damage for 6 seconds after using incap. Nice luxury for also having the strongest burst skill in the game (merciless bow proc). On a test dummy i can get some bow procs around 90k. Works swimmingly with impale too. Pretty easy rotation just count to 4 and light attack bow proc, and the best part it gets easier during execute. The hardest part is managing your potions to best serve your ultimate generation.

At this point i could care less about templars. [snip]

[edited for baiting]

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like you are talking about PVE here. If that's the case, then I think you're comparing apples & oranges because I'm fairly certain that @Mayrael is focused on PVP. While your post may be correct with regards to PVE, nearly everything in it is inapplicable (or even wrong) in PVP.

For all I know magblade may indeed be a Ferrari in PVE, but they're a 1983 Dodge Omni in PVP.

While magblade is still better for solo 1vx than a magplar.

Shadow Image gives so much outplay potential while fighting outnumbered in resource/keep tower, while magplar can only block cast honor the dead and mistform as defense options (which both sucks), darkflare has a hard cast time to land and backlash requires 6 second damage build up which keeps you vulnerable while jabbing and also hits like wet noodle for 2-3k.

Not saying that magblade is perfect, but it does have more outplay potential for solo play than a magplar and is more well rounded class, magplar is only "decent" in group play and "decent" in dueling, but since stonethorn patch changes it really dropped 1 tier down for both dueling and group play.

And if you don't agree, look around at stonethorn pvp tier class for both CP and NO CP, both magplar and stamplar is at bottom tier.

• Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    West93 wrote: »
    [snip]

I won't search for exact patch numbers but I will do so if forced to, this is just last few patches.
    Ritual being cleanse, soft cc, damage and heal tool at the same time while twisting path was nerfed because of being damage and healing skill at the same time;

Many of those things were balanced after some time bringing templars more in line with vanilla classes, that's true, but please stop overreacting.

This patch minor/major tweaks we can see for magblades bring only nerfs, while templars now get unique (very easy) access to minor sorcery, minor breach and all 3 minor recovery's which all got buffed.

[snip] Most peoples recovery is around 500-900. Even if you took 20% of that, its still an awful number. Yahoo my recovery goes up a little but only if i slot repentance and have it front bar'd.

I stopped playing my magplar entirely a few patches ago to play a magblade. It was like switching from a Toyota to a Ferrari. Ranged spammable that is a HoT, shade, options on builds depending on group (cripple for the cheap DoT vs lotus fan for the minor vulnerability), unique buffs in reave and 20% additional damage for 6 seconds after using incap. Nice luxury for also having the strongest burst skill in the game (merciless bow proc). On a test dummy i can get some bow procs around 90k. Works swimmingly with impale too. Pretty easy rotation just count to 4 and light attack bow proc, and the best part it gets easier during execute. The hardest part is managing your potions to best serve your ultimate generation.

[edited for baiting]

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like you are talking about PVE here. If that's the case, then I think you're comparing apples & oranges because I'm fairly certain that @Mayrael is focused on PVP. While your post may be correct with regards to PVE, nearly everything in it is inapplicable (or even wrong) in PVP.

For all I know magblade may indeed be a Ferrari in PVE, but they're a 1983 Dodge Omni in PVP.

Shadow Image gives so much outplay potential while fighting outnumbered in resource/keep tower, while magplar can only block cast honor the dead and mistform as defense options (which both sucks), darkflare has a hard cast time to land and backlash requires 6 second damage build up which keeps you vulnerable while jabbing and also hits like wet noodle for 2-3k.

Not saying that magblade is perfect, but it does have more outplay potential for solo play than a magplar and is more well rounded class, magplar is only "decent" in group play and "decent" in dueling, but since stonethorn patch changes it really dropped 1 tier down for both dueling and group play.

And if you don't agree, look around at stonethorn pvp tier class for both CP and NO CP, both magplar and stamplar is at bottom tier.

I mostly play BGs at this point and templars are definitely stronger than Magblades in that setting. There's a reason that Magblades are nearly non-existent in high MMR BGs whereas there's still a good number of magplars and stamplars. Stamblades I see more frequently than I used to, but I can go literally days without seeing another magblade in a BG. Magblades are nice because of Shadowy Disguise & Shade, but aside from escaping/repositioning, everything else I can think of off the top of my head is better on a magplar.

I disagree with your assertion that magblade is more well rounded. It's easy to only use class abilities on a magplar, while that's nearly impossible to do on a magblade. (On my current magblade build I have to use 6 non-class abilities to round out the NB toolkit — my magplar build doesn't require any.)

As far as ''outplay potential," you seem to be talking about juking & evading — if that's the case I agree. However if a decent magplar comes across an equally decent magblade in open world or a BG, chances are the magplar wins or the magblade escapes. I don't really consider that a win.

As far as tier lists, to be honest I don't put a whole lot of stock in them at this point. So far, in nearly every one I've come across where the rationale was explained, they seemed pretty biased to me. Regardless, can you link to which ones you are referring to?
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

I mostly play BGs at this point and templars are definitely stronger than Magblades in that setting. There's a reason that Magblades are nearly non-existent in high MMR BGs whereas there's still a good number of magplars and stamplars. Stamblades I see more frequently than I used to, but I can go literally days without seeing another magblade in a BG. Magblades are nice because of Shadowy Disguise & Shade, but aside from escaping/repositioning, everything else I can think of off the top of my head is better on a magplar.

I disagree with your assertion that magblade is more well rounded. It's easy to only use class abilities on a magplar, while that's nearly impossible to do on a magblade. (On my current magblade build I have to use 6 non-class abilities to round out the NB toolkit — my magplar build doesn't require any.)

As far as ''outplay potential," you seem to be talking about juking & evading — if that's the case I agree. However if a decent magplar comes across an equally decent magblade in open world or a BG, chances are the magplar wins or the magblade escapes. I don't really consider that a win.

As far as tier lists, to be honest I don't put a whole lot of stock in them at this point. So far, in nearly every one I've come across where the rationale was explained, they seemed pretty biased to me. Regardless, can you link to which ones you are referring to?

If we are talking bgs i hope you know that magplar self healing is pretty trash, on top of that without procsets that class has no offensive pressure.
    Last update they pretty much neutered the entire templar offensive toolkit, and it takes time for people to realise how bad the class is.
    As for seeing more magplars than magblades, i play in high mmr bgs on pc eu and neither are very well represented atm, and even fewer stamplars.
    The class just doesnt bring anything to bgs outside of providing purify syenergy every so often.
    Right now wardens /nightblades(well stamblades anyway) and sorcs(both stam and mag) are probably the most often seen ones, with quite a few dks as well(leap is a fantastic tool for bgs).
    And there is a good reason for that.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

If we are talking bgs i hope you know that magplar self healing is pretty trash, on top of that without procsets that class has no offensive pressure.
    Last update they pretty much neutered the entire templar offensive toolkit, and it takes time for people to realise how bad the class is.
    As for seeing more magplars than magblades, i play in high mmr bgs on pc eu and neither are very well represented atm, and even fewer stamplars.
    The class just doesnt bring anything to bgs outside of providing purify syenergy every so often.
    Right now wardens /nightblades(well stamblades anyway) and sorcs(both stam and mag) are probably the most often seen ones, with quite a few dks as well(leap is a fantastic tool for bgs).

If you think magplar's offensive toolkit is bad, imagine if literally all of it were dodgeable. (Most magblade abilites are reflectable too.) There are BGs where feel like the only thing I see the entire match is "DODGE DODGE DODGE" — combat text might as well be turned off. Now that I think about it, this is likely almost the entire reason magblade overperforms in PVE vs PVP — mobs don't roll dodge a whole lot.

I'm not saying Magplar is top tier right now or anything, but better self healing paired with the fact that it's burst combo is nearly entirely undodgable is a huge advantage over a magblade's truly abysmal self healing & 100% dodgable burst combo. With the exception of mobility skills, magplars just have stronger and/or more reliable versions nearly every magblade ability, and in many cases there's just no comparison. The stun on Toppling Charge is huge and that alone makes it much better than Lotus fan, Sweeps does more damage and heals for more than Swallow Soul/Concealed Weapon, Radiant Oppression is much easier to land and can do much more damage than Impale (which I don't even bother to slot), I have nothing that compares to Javelin so I'm forced to use Flame Clench which is absolute garbage by comparison, Purifying Light & Merciless are difficult to compare but PL is definitely more reliable and thus in the long run likely does a lot more damage...the list goes on. I also cannot overstate how nice it is to not be forced to use a resto staff on my back bar. It's literally a game changer.

Don't get me wrong: Shade & Cloak are definitely strong, and they are so much fun — they're almost the entire reason I love playing magblade — but magplar simply has a stronger, more cohesive toolkit than magblade. I kind of feel like the class is incomplete and I have to piece my build together from scraps.

As far as class representation in high MMR BGs, it sounds like PC EU is similar to NA, however we also have a ton of stam necros as well. Not sure if maybe you just forget to mention them.
    Edited by Langeston on October 8, 2020 5:34AM
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been glad to be able to run my stamplar the past couple of nights at least but I have lost some burst. Gave up on POTL after being stubborn. I now justt have jabs, ER, armor buff for templar abilities. Maybe javelin ar times.

I mean really; if I trade jabs for dizzy, necro.would give me more tools in defense and debuff and a cheaper purge, along with a more reliable burst. Same for Warden.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This entire thread seems to just be saying "nerf warden and necro". While I understand that templar has some critical problems, so do other classes including both warden and necromancer and it feels like you all are just saying that they have everything when they absolutely do not, for example, the common argument said about warden is "they have every buff", well, while we have a significant amount of named buffs and definitely more than I would personally think is reasonable, we legitimately need those to be viable because warden has a lack of quantity and quality class damage skills that don't have much synergy with eachother. Magicka Warden was for the longest time the worst dps before it got more raw damage buffs, meanwhile Stamina Warden as of Stonethorn is still one of the worst dps classes in pve, Warden DPS just generally cannot access it's class specific utility in pve because it's so ingrained to be used by tanks and healers, while additionally our green balance skills aren't used as much by dps in PvP because they underperform a noticeable amount compared to other healing skills and chiefly because of arctic blast's health scaling healing, natures embrace still has rubber band issues that are partly due to how slow the projectile moves.
    I can't speak as much for necromancer but it has issues with several bugs and ai issues with it's pets which make it restricted and clunky, and the tethers are still extremely wonky to use, magicka necromancer is still quite bad in pvp.

Yes, stamina warden and necromancer are top tier in pvp, and necromancer has been an issue in pve. and they need to be toned down, but just know that these classes aren't without their issues either. all classes deserve tuning and treatment.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This entire thread seems to just be saying "nerf warden and necro". While I understand that templar has some critical problems, so do other classes including both warden and necromancer and it feels like you all are just saying that they have everything when they absolutely do not, for example, the common argument said about warden is "they have every buff", well, while we have a significant amount of named buffs and definitely more than I would personally think is reasonable, we legitimately need those to be viable because warden has a lack of quantity and quality class damage skills that don't have much synergy with eachother. Magicka Warden was for the longest time the worst dps before it got more raw damage buffs, meanwhile Stamina Warden as of Stonethorn is still one of the worst dps classes in pve, Warden DPS just generally cannot access it's class specific utility in pve because it's so ingrained to be used by tanks and healers, while additionally our green balance skills aren't used as much by dps in PvP because they underperform a noticeable amount compared to other healing skills and chiefly because of arctic blast's health scaling healing, natures embrace still has rubber band issues that are partly due to how slow the projectile moves.
    I can't speak as much for necromancer but it has issues with several bugs and ai issues with it's pets which make it restricted and clunky, and the tethers are still extremely wonky to use, magicka necromancer is still quite bad in pvp.

Yes, stamina warden and necromancer are top tier in pvp, and necromancer has been an issue in pve. and they need to be toned down, but just know that these classes aren't without their issues either. all classes deserve tuning and treatment.

All classes do deserve treatment, and this is a post about templars.
    You know when ppl create these kinds of posts they don't automatically infer that the only class that needs help is theirs.
    And yet tons of ppl like you pop in to say: My class too! Completely missing the point of the thread.
    If you argued that templars weren't as bad or even godlike or whatever your post would actually be more relevant to the thread than it is now.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

If you think magplar's offensive toolkit is bad, imagine if literally all of it were dodgeable. (Most magblade abilites are reflectable too.) There are BGs where feel like the only thing I see the entire match is "DODGE DODGE DODGE" — combat text might as well be turned off. Now that I think about it, this is likely almost the entire reason magblade overperforms in PVE vs PVP — mobs don't roll dodge a whole lot.

I'm not saying Magplar is top tier right now or anything, but better self healing paired with the fact that it's burst combo is nearly entirely undodgable is a huge advantage over a magblade's truly abysmal self healing & 100% dodgable burst combo. With the exception of mobility skills, magplars just have stronger and/or more reliable versions nearly every magblade ability, and in many cases there's just no comparison. The stun on Toppling Charge is huge and that alone makes it much better than Lotus fan, Sweeps does more damage and heals for more than Swallow Soul/Concealed Weapon, Radiant Oppression is much easier to land and can do much more damage than Impale (which I don't even bother to slot), I have nothing that compares to Javelin so I'm forced to use Flame Clench which is absolute garbage by comparison, Purifying Light & Merciless are difficult to compare but PL is definitely more reliable and thus in the long run likely does a lot more damage...the list goes on. I also cannot overstate how nice it is to not be forced to use a resto staff on my back bar. It's literally a game changer.

Don't get me wrong: Shade & Cloak are definitely strong, and they are so much fun — they're almost the entire reason I love playing magblade — but magplar simply has a stronger, more cohesive toolkit than magblade. I kind of feel like the class is incomplete and I have to piece my build together from scraps.

As far as class representation in high MMR BGs, apparently PC NA is apparently to EU, however we also have a ton of stam necros as well.

Just use bit of logic instead of feelings.
    1. Offensive toolkit: nb atleast have toolkit.
    A. First of all nb didnt suffered from its entire skillines were blatantly nerfed by "dot nerf" because class was always burst. While templar was similarly to dk - playable by stacking dots yet unlike dk he didnt recieved 33% passive boost to damage. On top of that 90% of nb toolkit is not hardcountered by evasion buff that literally every stam build use.
    33% less damage on allmost all skills and on top additional 25% reductuon not even near as fair as trade for undodgeable.
    B. You have range spammable that apply strong hot. Fact it being ranged and hot by default making it super strong booster of defense because you can easily spam it at range without endangering yourself into melee and this require to waste less gcd on defense, HoT grant even bigger survivability as it keep ticking even when you ended your dps rotation snd went defensive mode.
    Meanwhile templar spammable is melee that byitself apply higher risk of incoming damage and unlike ranged spammable it literally unable to land on any high mobile target that literally every stam build coz it being channel. Yes, it cant be dodged on paper but on practice it means it also cant even connect its full 4 ticks on any target that is not target dummy. I posted back in time quite a few gifs showing how hard jabs desyncing literally not be able to hit target inside hitbox. Its apply heal not hot so as soon as you going defensive, and you will go defensive in melee range alot coz templar simply dont have proactive defense - it stop providing its defensive capability. And when nb Surprise Attack got rulebreaking buff to stun people simply coz nb addicted to some old bug, templars Sweeps heal got nerfhamnered while zos just saying that they will monitoring how class will perform. This turned theoretical strength of sweeps to get at least nice heal against stacked group unexisting.
    C. Burst skill - apart from spammable you need either strong-hitting dots or burst heal and nb atleast does have strong burst skill. It not as good as p2w blastbones or shalks but at least it there.
    Meanwhile templar has no choice. Like I mentioned before its entire dot kit that was main damage source got blatantly nerfed. And on top of it its burst got neutered too.
    Burning Light "change" you can see in main thread how it killed passive in pvp.
    Backlash got killed too, you also can read its problems i posted i think in this thread, when burst skill deal like 1k damage because zos decided for some unknown reason simply kill it.
    D. CCs - once again nb atleast have roots or aoe cc, they got nerfed too to promote p2w classes, but still better than nothing.
    Meanwhile templar lost its aoe snare and unjustly lost its root; only root remained within Unstable Core that noone use coz it horribly bugged skill and despite i detsily reporting it for over year now - not a single fix for this skill. So now templar sit in situation where melee spec cant even control opponent movement simply because forum whiners became unhappy that templar suddenly could decrease their mobility by Eclipse.

2. Defensive toolkit: not gona bother write wall of text again, will just mention couple points.
    A. Range playstyle that bydefault means higher survivability.
    B. Easier uptime of defensive buffs. For example press Cloak- get minor protection for full duration of hot. Meanwhile on templar you have to spam jabs to get protection and guess what - you will do it minority of time because in melee playstyle where you recive more damage, on a class with no proactive defense - you will simply spam heals instead of your spammable, making protection passive uptime even lower than 70%.
    C. And most important Reposition capability. Its main source of survivability in pvp on every class byfar superior to brainless brawling abilities and everyone knows it. Guess why noone use Ironblood set with its high boost of survivability - because reposition >>> facetanking.
    Nb have one of the best repositioning tools meanwhile templar has access to RAT or Mist but not a single class feature that helps with it, most of time just hold block and spam heal till out of stam and inevitable death, that forcing them to play into more brawling playstyle, i.e. gut their almost unexisting offensive toolkit further.

TL;DR: a super simple logic.

Entire thread is saying "fix templars" yet you somehow see it as "nerf wardens".
    Like if nightblades desperate attempt to get attention and derail thread is not enough.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You know when ppl create these kinds of posts they don't automatically infer that the only class that needs help is theirs.
    And yet tons of ppl like you pop in to say: My class too! Completely missing the point of the thread.
    If you argued that templars weren't as bad or even godlike or whatever your post would actually be more relevant to the thread than it is now.

You actually miss my point, my comment is in response to people who either say or imply that the blame is on the "pay to win" classes for why their class is doing badly. What I'm trying to say is that these people aren't thinking about the people who actually play these classes that are "pay to win" and thus either ignore or don't know about the issues these classes have. Just suggesting that they need to be nerfed in a thread about, as you said, templars, isn't the place to discuss that. But it's also just inconsiderate.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You actually miss my point, my comment is in response to people who either say or imply that the blame is on the "pay to win" classes for why their class is doing badly. What I'm trying to say is that these people aren't thinking about the people who actually play these classes that are "pay to win" and thus either ignore or don't know about the issues these classes have. Just suggesting that they need to be nerfed in a thread about, as you said, templars, isn't the place to discuss that. But it's also just inconsiderate.

I mean, you look at some of the tools of those classes and it looks like like Zos was trying give them tools that templars had access to, only better.
    Warden in particular, has a better version of nova, has major mending(which was taken away from Templar not long before warden got released), a better healing skill line that actually benefits both mag and stam.
    Necro has a better self purge, stronger burst, better passives(by far).
    Anyway warden needs nerfs in pvp period, regardless of what templars have, but I agree that they also need some love in other areas like their spammable improved and better cc options.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I mean, you look at some of the tools of those classes and it looks like like Zos was trying give them tools that templars had access to, only better.
    Warden in particular, has a better version of nova, has major mending(which was taken away from Templar not long before warden got released), a better healing skill line that actually benefits both mag and stam.
    Necro has a better self purge, stronger burst, better passives(by far).
    Anyway warden needs nerfs in pvp period, regardless of what templars have, but I agree that they also need some love in other areas like their spammable improved and better cc options.

Yeah i definitely agree that warden needs changes to how they are currently and I've been championing for that because i want the class to be more fun and better designed, but also more fair, but that's enough about warden since this is a templar thread. I only wanted to address people who seemingly don't care about other classes to just think more about what they suggest and who it effects because flat statements like "nerf x class" hurt the subclasses of that class who are not performing overly well, even more and unfairly.
  • Ishtharo
    Ishtharo
    ✭✭✭
    Launch player here. I mostly lurk on the forums, but as someone still playing my launch Templar (Very first toon created), I'll weigh in a bit. Disclaimer, I am strictly a PvP player.

To start, I am a healer main player. Healed everything from 4 man groups to 24 man zergs and everywhere in between. I've done this on every class save Necro (I just can't be *** to level yet another character).
    I abandoned my templar healer about a little more than a year ago. Precisely when the Healing Springs change happened. Magplar healing lacks a cheap and moveable HoT, and Healing Springs was that since game launch. Yes, PuGs spammed it and only it. Yes, it was over tuned. No, it didn't need teh treatment it got. This doesn't mention the many buffs an utility stripped from teh Templar healer kit over the years in favor of other classes. It's not a viable healing class, and I have since switched to Warden as my main healing class.

So, what happened to my Magplar? It became a stamplar that I run solo. I prefer a high-speed stamblade style when it comes to my stamina damage characters. This semi-works on stamplar, minus a few glaring issues. First, lack of burst. Second, lack of healing/defensive. Third, lack of movement. Fourth, lack of meaningful passives.

Starting with the first, the class is centered around the POTL > Jabs combo. Unfortunately, with the nerf to POTL that combo is rough at best. POTL can still hit hard, but it has to crit to do so. I understand the changes from a PvE standpoint, since stamplars could just DoT up and stand there and the POTL would hit max damage in 4 seconds. From a PvP standpoint, the change was god awful. You have to go full tilt damage to achieve your mediocre burst, while three other classes can set and forget their delayed burst. One additional class builds the burst over a short period of time and then unleashes it when they want. This doesn't mention the clunkiness of Jabs snaring the user, and being out of sync with it's animation vs where the damage cone is facing. Don't get me wrong, I *** love Jabs, but it needs some help.

Second, stamplar has exactly no class healing. Extended Rit is an amazing purge, it really it. Also, with 5k WD it tool tips at nearly 3k per heal tick. The down sides are you burn half your mag bar for it, the area is not huge, and a 1200 heal every 2 seconds is not fantastic in PvP. Did I mention it isn't mobile either? Now I'm not saying we need to copy/paste a heal from another class, but Unstable core is a perfect skill that's ready to be turned stamina and then function how it did back in the day. For those unaware, you cast it on a target, and if that target did damage to anyone, it healed you for a reasonable amount every half second. Next, give it a slow when they damage something and we are in business. Remove the stun from it as well. But stamplar needs something, anything besides two non class heals.

Third, Templar in general is an immobile class. No Major Expedition built into the class, no escapes, and no real defensive toolkit to make up for this. I personally solved this with Elusive Mist. While my small mag bar can't sustain it for more than a few seconds, that's usually all I need. Let Rune Focus give Minor expedition for it's duration, or some other change to give Stamplar a defensive kit or mobility.

Fourth, there has been plenty of talk about meaningful passives in this thread. I won't beat a dead horse, but having half my passives not apply because I'm stam is frustrating at best.

Sorry about the wall of text. Cheers.
    Tsarra Venus Sylphyra - Stamplar PvP Bosmer Harrier
    VenusFállen - Magden PvP Nord Healer
    VenusFallen - Stamcro PvP Nord Brawler
    VenusFallèn - MagBlade PvP Dark Elf Ganker
    VeñusFallen - StamSorc PvP Bosmer Harrier
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is bit of talk regarding Master Ritualist passive that literally jsut another dead passive.
    Said lot of time that having passive that not working incombat to actively benefit user is same like not having this passive at all. But lets see ressurect numbers: here coz without diminishing was turning templar ressurect into OP so zos added diminishes but as result passive effect suffered too much:
    ryytyty.jpg

1. Ritualist reduce res by 1.2s. Meanwhile Kagrenac by 1.5s, Battle Resurrection by 1.8s. At same time those additional bonuses are useless, first - when ressing you already not spending mana coz you wasting it on ressurcet so you dont need this small restore once per millenia, secondly - this is last passive in lin and when people leveled to be be able to invest into it - they dont have empty soulgems nor they do need to fill them coz everything in overland drop filled soulgems already. I.e for exchange of additional bonus of filling gems and restoring mana main function of passive already perform worse than additional sources.
    2. In PvP Ritualist + Alliance passive reduce res by 2.6s, i.e. stacking of those passives loose 0.4s diminishing. I.e. diminish of 30% of Ritualist itself.
    3. Rit+ Kag reduce res by 2.4s, i.e. stacking of those loose 0.6s diminishing. i.e diminish of 50% of Ritualist passive itself.
    4. Rit+Kag+Passive reduce res by 3.5s, i.e. stacking loose 1.0s diminishing. I.e. diminish that is like 80% of Ritualist passive itself.
    ^^^ Isnt you think that while passive operating with miliseconds, having diminishing that by defualt in PvP reduce effectiveness by so much miliseconds is too punishing?
    5. Kag+Alliance reduce res by 2.8s, i.e. it loose 0.5s, i.e. diminishing is bigger for 0.1s than Rit+Allaince but total ressureect time is 0.2s faster. I.e. people who desire do dedicate themsleves to ressurect bot would be more effective with it than templar without Kag.
    6. Anyone with alliance war passive would ressurect for 0.6s faster than templar without passive, and only 0.8 slower than tempalr with both passives. It like 0.2s to value effectiveness of tempalr vs non-templar for entire passive.
    7. In PvE Kagrenac ressurect faster than Ritualist for 0.3s, i.e. anyone with Kag would ressurect faster than templar passive, will have actually viable passive that work in combat and get additional spd bonus from Kag. While Templar in Kag would win just 0.9s for res (not even straight 1.0s) while inexchange of this time he loose full bonus of passive that could be otherwise used proactivly in combat for either dps or helping with heals to prevent deaths. Imagine get 0.9s faster ressurect time with wasting on ressurect like 0.5% of combat time when you could have smth like for example 4% more healing 100% of time.
    8. In PvP even worse - Templar fully setuped would do just 0.7s faster ressurect than any nontemplar with passive+kag. So templar loose entire proactive passive effect for just 0.7s faster ressurect.

Running non-templar ressurect-focused build is more effective. If people wants to focus on ressurect - they have options to do it effectively, while class passives should provide unique passive strength. This logic applied even to item sets when Kagrenac recieved huge (for that time) boost to spd as 5pc or Hanu having additional bonus as 5pc - bonus fully dedicated to pure ressurection has no value because it has zero effect on parses, etc.
    And for templar it especially worse coz ressurect being class passive means no alternatives, no options.
    Master Ritualist need to be changed into smth that actively helping in fight instead of adding marginal numbers to action that value failure of templar job and happens less than 1% time in combat.
    Edited by Cinbri on October 8, 2020 11:31AM
  • Slowbromance
    Slowbromance
    ✭✭✭

If this is in reference to my previous post about PvP healing being play to win my comment was specifically about a healing play style. It was also in no means an attempt to have Warden and Necromancer nerfed.

I have both a Warden and Necromancer healer I play with regularly and am now a Necromancer healer main until Templar is brought back up to the healing power Warden and Necromancer currently have. I don't believe the classes need to be nerfed and if anything, I think Templar just needs to be reworked so that they have similar healing buffs the other classes have.

This all being said, with changes to buffs/debuffs happening in the current PTS who knows how this will effect healing in PvP and alliance war over all until the patch drops. Most of my comments just come from a frustration that, people just picking up this game and wanting to heal would likely choose Templar but quickly see that they don't carry the same punch as some of the other classes do right now.
    -Shadow hide you
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting with ultimates.

Aedric spear ultimate morphs are good enough. They are fairly cheap, melee range, and feel quite powerful. Passively i get stronger for slotting it too (10% more crit damage for having a aedric spear ability slotted). These are both damage ultimates and they work well in both pvp and pve.

Praticed incarnation and remembrance are just too similar. The Healing Per Second is quite powerful in the 20 meter radius but the scenarios for this 20 meter radial 4-6 second heal are very limited. You become a statue that cannot perform another task. Most scenarios using barrier preventively and then using smart heals while the shield is up is best. Slotting barrier also passively gives you a small recovery boost, its fairly negligible but it is still better than nothing. Having 1 stationary morph is fine. There is a time and a place where its useful, even though its limited. Having 2 magicka stationary morphs is redundant. Having 2 more seconds of a burst heal seems less important than getting a lasting major buff, thus making practiced incarnation is an inferior redundancy to remembrance.

Solar disturbance is ,again, far too similar too solar prism. Both expensive ground cast magicka ultimates that are strong defensively and offensively. Jack of all trades but master at none and neither 1 of them help stamina. In pve there are scenarios where this is useful but rarely in pvp where its very easy to avoid by simply taking 5 steps. The gravity crush synergy is far more useful than having 2.5 seconds of major maim thus making solar disturbance an inferior redundancy. As a damage dealer id choose destro ultimate for cleave or meteor for single target bcz they simply deal more damage. There are no passive gains for slotting either morph.

Remembrance and solar prism have been sytemically nerfed by the buff/debuff audit. I feel that most templars are in agreement that at the very minimum praticed incarnation and solar disturbance are due for a revamp.

There is just too much wrong with templar to continue writing about but please ZoS take another look at the class. The entire class is being held together by sweeps/jabs and a recovery skill.

Dead skills like radiant aura, healing ritual, ritual of ret, balzing shield, eclipse, explosive charge.

We have an odd duration of 16 seconds on our only fire damage ability?!? but everything else is 10 seconds or less. I mean why cant solar barrage last 20 seconds (obviously with a cost increase). Why cant we have a 40 second timer on purifying light/PoTL (with a cost increase) that booms every 5 seconds for 20% of damage done. Why do we have odd 1.1 second channels. No real HoTs. Horrid passives. Least desirable or easily obtainable buffs attached to our skills. No stamina healing.

Please take a 2nd look at templars.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tip for struggling Stamplars this patch:

Run Crescent Sweep for your Ult. You'll have to make sure you have gear that increases its power, but with it ticking along with jabs, you can still consistently burning light, and still have a decent power of the light burst.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Run Crescent Sweep for your Ult. You'll have to make sure you have gear that increases its power, but with it ticking along with jabs, you can still consistently burning light, and still have a decent power of the light burst.

You need a good amount of spell pen to make it work tbh.
    As for POTL burst, it really depends on your target, you can fully unload with onslaught and everything for 6 seconds on a target and still not do more than like 4k dmg on the pop.
    Thats reaaaaly bad for how long the skill takes.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've been experimenting with this using Innate Axiom, but I'm not convinced so far that it's any better than running Dawnbreaker, especially because losing the aoe stun means you have less ability to control multiple enemies and less group ult dump synergy. 1v1 it's a fine ult but it's not so great in BG.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

As far as class representation in high MMR BGs, apparently PC NA is apparently to EU, however we also have a ton of stam necros as well.

A. First of all nb didnt suffered from its entire skillines were blatantly nerfed by "dot nerf" because class was always burst. While templar was similarly to dk - playable by stacking dots yet unlike dk he didnt recieved 33% passive boost to damage. On top of that 90% of nb toolkit is not hardcountered by evasion buff that literally every stam build use.
    33% less damage on allmost all skills and on top additional 25% reductuon not even near as fair as trade for undodgeable.
    B. You have range spammable that apply strong hot. Fact it being ranged and hot by default making it super strong booster of defense because you can easily spam it at range without endangering yourself into melee and this require to waste less gcd on defense, HoT grant even bigger survivability as it keep ticking even when you ended your dps rotation snd went defensive mode.
    Meanwhile templar spammable is melee that byitself apply higher risk of incoming damage and unlike ranged spammable it literally unable to land on any high mobile target that literally every stam build coz it being channel. Yes, it cant be dodged on paper but on practice it means it also cant even connect its full 4 ticks on any target that is not target dummy. I posted back in time quite a few gifs showing how hard jabs desyncing literally not be able to hit target inside hitbox. Its apply heal not hot so as soon as you going defensive, and you will go defensive in melee range alot coz templar simply dont have proactive defense - it stop providing its defensive capability. And when nb Surprise Attack got rulebreaking buff to stun people simply coz nb addicted to some old bug, templars Sweeps heal got nerfhamnered while zos just saying that they will monitoring how class will perform. This turned theoretical strength of sweeps to get at least nice heal against stacked group unexisting.
    C. Burst skill - apart from spammable you need either strong-hitting dots or burst heal and nb atleast does have strong burst skill. It not as good as p2w blastbones or shalks but at least it there.
    Meanwhile templar has no choice. Like I mentioned before its entire dot kit that was main damage source got blatantly nerfed. And on top of it its burst got neutered too.
    Backlash got killed too, you also can read its problems i posted i think in this thread, when burst skill deal like 1k damage because zos decided for some unknown reason simply kill it.
    D. CCs - once again nb atleast have roots or aoe cc, they got nerfed too to promote p2w classes, but still better than nothing.
    Meanwhile templar lost its aoe snare and unjustly lost its root; only root remained within Unstable Core that noone use coz it horribly bugged skill and despite i detsily reporting it for over year now - not a single fix for this skill. So now templar sit in situation where melee spec cant even control opponent movement simply because forum whiners became unhappy that templar suddenly could decrease their mobility by Eclipse.

2. Defensive toolkit: not gona bother write wall of text again, will just mention couple points.
    B. Easier uptime of defensive buffs. For example press Cloak- get minor protection for full duration of hot. Meanwhile on templar you have to spam jabs to get protection and guess what - you will do it minority of time because in melee playstyle where you recive more damage, on a class with no proactive defense - you will simply spam heals instead of your spammable, making protection passive uptime even lower than 70%.
    C. And most important Reposition capability. Its main source of survivability in pvp on every class byfar superior to brainless brawling abilities and everyone knows it. Guess why noone use Ironblood set with its high boost of survivability - because reposition >>> facetanking.
    Nb have one of the best repositioning tools meanwhile templar has access to RAT or Mist but not a single class feature that helps with it, most of time just hold block and spam heal till out of stam and inevitable death, that forcing them to play into more brawling playstyle, i.e. gut their almost unexisting offensive toolkit further.

"Just use bit of logic instead of feelings?"
    [snip]
    Since you started off talking about Puncturing Sweep & Swallow Soul, we'll use them as an example:
    (I'm going to ignore Concealed Weapon, since that skill is only viable over Swallow Soul on a magblade in relatively niche builds.)

Puncturing Sweep
    p7t2CIi.png
    vYhlq3R.png
    Swallow Soul
    U2h7ICU.png

No CP was used, both toons are Breton and identically equipped — 5 Innate Axiom, 5 War Maiden, 2 Balorgh, Prismatic glyphs on armor, SD glyphs on arcane jewelry, Artaeum Fish Bowl food, and the Apprentice Mundus. Only buff is Major Sorcery.
    [Note: both builds would likely need more sustain to be viable, but the magblade would definitely need even more. This equates to even less damage on a viable magblade build.]

Puncturing Sweep: 13,168
    Burning Light: 4,712
    Sweeps + Burning Light: 17,880
    Swallow Soul: 8,386

Even if Burning Light doesn't proc, Puncturing Sweep does 57% more (1.57x) damage than Swallow Soul. (Put another way, Swallow Soul only does 66% of the damage that Sweeps does — again: without Burning Light.) You also heal for 40% of the damage done, rather than the 36% you get on Swallow Soul. Not to mention the fact that you also get Minor Protection.

Add in burning Light and the results become comical: the Sweeps/BL tooltip is 17,880, or 113% more (2.13x) than Swallow Soul.

So without taking Major Evasion into consideration, there is clearly no comparison between the two. Let's see what it looks like with Major Evasion:

Puncturing Sweep: 13,168 - 20% = 10,534
    Sweeps + Burning Light: 15,246

Sweeps still does 26% more without BL, and 81% more if it procs. On your first hit, BL is almost guaranteed to proc considering you're typically going to open with Toppling Charge, thus all 4 ticks should land and if you've already applied Purifying Light like you're supposed to, that's another guaranteed proc. (This is where class toolkit cohesiveness comes into play, like I mentioned in my post.w) I won't get into Crescent Sweep or Radiant Oppression, both of which are also undodgable.

TL;DR: If you think magblades have a combo that's even half as reliable as magplar, then you've obviously never played the class before.

As far as your other points:

Major Evasion: saying "literally every stam build uses" it is a straight up falsehood. Only medium armor builds or builds using Dual Wield have that option, and I don't even know if you can say the majority of stam builds fit that description. 2H/Bow & Heavy is extremely common, especially right now. Against Light Armor builds, obviously there is simply no comparison whatsoever.

Range: if you think that's a significant advantage (or indeed, an advantage at all) in this meta where nearly everyone is running a gap closer and/or can dodge you every single time, then you haven't even tried to play ranged magblade. (Not to mention the fact that it's impossible to play fully ranged in the first place unless you use a non class ult.)

Burst skill: Merciless is completely unreliable, is not available on demand, and has a loud AF "you're being attacked, dodge now!" warning sound. As weak as [you feel] Purifying Light is, you're at least guaranteed some damage.

CCs Crippling Grasp isn't worth slotting on it's own. The only decent CC is Fear, and even that isn't worth slotting on most builds (the range kinda sucks & all it does is stun.) Fear Traps can be good in group play. In any case, most magblades I come across use Flame Clench which is just a worse version of Javelin.

Defensive toolkit:Personally, I don't think there is a clear cut winner with regard to defense. I do agree with some of the points you make here, (for instance Shade is a strong skill) however it isn't the end-all be-all that you seem to think it is (ex: in BGs half the time you port straight to your death.) You're also glossing over all of the defensive capabilities that templar has, not the least of which is much more reliable healing, and you're not required to use a Restoration Staff. You don't realize how good you have it being able to have Destro or S/B on your back bar. Cloak is basically broken right now (not in a good way) and in fact I am currently looking at replacing it with Mist Form. As I said, I don't know that there is a clear cut winner here.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm not trying to say magplar is OP or top tier — but to say that it's weaker than magblade is simply absurd. Either you don't fully understand how magblade works, you're not being honest with yourself, (or me) or it's a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

[Addendum] If you want to get into PVP tier lists, they apparently agree that magplar is stronger in 4 of 6 categories, — every case outside of solo play. This can almost 100% be attributed to the fact that magblades are simply better at escaping due to Shadowy Disguise/Shade. If you want to try playing a build that uses Dark Cloak instead of Shadowy Disguise though, I think you'll wind up wishing you were on a magplar. Shade without Shadowy Disguise simply prolongs the inevitable in the same way spamming heals does, and your damage output is even worse.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by Langeston on October 8, 2020 7:00PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

I've been experimenting with this using Innate Axiom, but I'm not convinced so far that it's any better than running Dawnbreaker, especially because losing the aoe stun means you have less ability to control multiple enemies and less group ult dump synergy. 1v1 it's a fine ult but it's not so great in BG.

I run NMA (nerfed I know) with 2H sword front bar. The burst is Potl-javelin-crescent sweep-jabs. Because power of the light is single target anyways, I don't mind primarily focusing my burst on one target. You just have to be careful with positioning to not get overwhelmed by a group.

The good thing is, even with the increased cost from NMA, crescent sweep is so cheap you have it up for almost every encounter.

Edit:
    Innate axiom seems like it could work really well, but I just really felt the loss of a fully buffed Executioner.
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on October 9, 2020 4:27PM
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

[snip]
    Since you started off talking about Puncturing Sweep & Swallow Soul, we'll use them as an example:
    (I'm going to ignore Concealed Weapon, since that skill is only viable over Swallow Soul on a magblade in relatively niche builds.)

Puncturing Sweep
    p7t2CIi.png
    vYhlq3R.png
    Swallow Soul
    U2h7ICU.png

No CP was used, both toons are Breton and identically equipped — 5 Innate Axiom, 5 War Maiden, 2 Balorgh, Prismatic glyphs on armor, SD glyphs on arcane jewelry, Artaeum Fish Bowl food, and the Apprentice Mundus. Only buff is Major Sorcery.
    [Note: both builds would likely need more sustain to be viable, but the magblade would definitely need even more. This equates to even less damage on a viable magblade build.]

Even if Burning Light doesn't proc, Puncturing Sweep does 57% more (1.57x) damage than Swallow Soul. (Put another way, Swallow Soul only does 66% of the damage that Sweeps does — again: without Burning Light.) You also heal for 40% of the damage done, rather than the 36% you get on Swallow Soul. Not to mention the fact that you also get Minor Protection.

Add in burning Light and the results become comical: the Sweeps/BL tooltip is 17,880, or 113% more (2.13x) than Swallow Soul.

So without taking Major Evasion into consideration, there is clearly no comparison between the two. Let's see what it looks like with Major Evasion:

Sweeps still does 26% more without BL, and 81% more if it procs. On your first hit, BL is almost guaranteed to proc considering you're typically going to open with Toppling Charge, thus all 4 ticks should land and if you've already applied Purifying Light like you're supposed to, that's another guaranteed proc. (This is where class toolkit cohesiveness comes into play, like I mentioned in my post.w) I won't get into Crescent Sweep or Radiant Oppression, both of which are also undodgable.

TL;DR: If you think magblades have a combo that's even half as reliable as magplar, then you've obviously never played the class before.

Major Evasion: saying "literally every stam build uses" it is a straight up falsehood. Only medium armor builds or builds using Dual Wield have that option, and I don't even know if you can say the majority of stam builds fit that description. 2H/Bow & Heavy is extremely common, especially right now. Against Light Armor builds, obviously there is simply no comparison whatsoever.

Range: if you think that's a significant advantage (or indeed, an advantage at all) in this meta where nearly everyone is running a gap closer and/or can dodge you every single time, then you haven't even tried to play ranged magblade. (Not to mention the fact that it's impossible to play fully ranged in the first place unless you use a non class ult.)

Burst skill: Merciless is completely unreliable, is not available on demand, and has a loud AF "you're being attacked, dodge now!" warning sound. As weak as [you feel] Purifying Light is, you're at least guaranteed some damage.

CCs Crippling Grasp isn't worth slotting on it's own. The only decent CC is Fear, and even that isn't worth slotting on most builds (the range kinda sucks & all it does is stun.) Fear Traps can be good in group play. In any case, most magblades I come across use Flame Clench which is just a worse version of Javelin.

Defensive toolkit:Personally, I don't think there is a clear cut winner with regard to defense. I do agree with some of the points you make here, (for instance Shade is a strong skill) however it isn't the end-all be-all that you seem to think it is (ex: in BGs half the time you port straight to your death.) You're also glossing over all of the defensive capabilities that templar has, not the least of which is much more reliable healing, and you're not required to use a Restoration Staff. You don't realize how good you have it being able to have Destro or S/B on your back bar. Cloak is basically broken right now (not in a good way) and in fact I am currently looking at replacing it with Mist Form. As I said, I don't know that there is a clear cut winner here.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm not trying to say magplar is OP or top tier — but to say that it's weaker than magblade is simply absurd. Either you don't fully understand how magblade works, you're not being honest with yourself, (or me) or it's a case of the grass being greener on the other side.

[Addendum] If you want to get into PVP tier lists, they apparently agree that magplar is stronger in 4 of 6 categories, — every case outside of solo play. This can almost 100% be attributed to the fact that magblades are simply better at escaping due to Shadowy Disguise/Shade. If you want to try playing a build that uses Dark Cloak instead of Shadowy Disguise though, I think you'll wind up wishing you were on a magplar. Shade without Shadowy Disguise simply prolongs the inevitable in the same way spamming heals does, and your damage output is even worse.

This is where I play pvp mostly, solo/duo.

I don't play BGs. I dont care about BGs. I don't care about no cp.

I care about outplay potential in playing solo, kitting around resource towers and getting kills, in such situation both magplar and stamplar are not top tier and are not middle tier and most classes have better toolkit for that.

Magblade is a lot stronger for solo play. I don't care about other pvp environments

What I meant bv saying well rounded class is that magblade is jack of all trades compared to how it performs in group/dueling/solo, its not best at any of these enviroments, but its not worst at any of them.

Magplar is and was bad for solo open world expect for 1 patch.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on October 8, 2020 6:45PM
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Greetings everyone!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting. While we completely understand everyone has their own opinions, thoughts, feelings and even frustrations, we want the forums to be a civil and constructive platform for the game and it's community as a whole. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

[snip]

Puncturing Sweep
    p7t2CIi.png
    vYhlq3R.png
    Swallow Soul
    U2h7ICU.png

[edited for baiting]

Well then:

I just love it when ppl try to compare puncturing strikes to other spammables, and then i realise they have 0 flipping clue on how the skill works.

Your whole idea of comparing swallow soul to puncturing strikes is disingenuous from the begining.

Puncturing sweeps is a melee ability, swallow soul is ranged. Ranged spammable do less damage by default than ranged ones, for a good reason.

Second the healing portion of puncturing strikes requires you to actually land the skill, and keep hitting with it.

Once you land swallow soul you continue to receive healing from a single cast for 10! seconds, and you can be doing anything in those 10 seconds, you will still receive the healing.

Also puncturing strikes is a channeled ability which leaves you much more open to counter attacks than any ranged attack.

With how much speed most people run these days, you really need to match it to be able to land those jabs on people, and even then its a melee skill and you put yourself in harms way a lot more than a ranged ability would.

You mentioned spectral bow being hard to land:

It better flippin be, its one of the hardest hitting ability in the game, doing much more damage than many ultimates.

In comparison, backlash right now is horribly buggy, it doesnt scale with a lot of % modifiers(but gets mitigated by them), doesnt scale with weapon or spell damage, and just in general hits like a wet noodle.

On top of it when you put backlash on someone in pvp, you pretty much have to commit to that target, and you also put a big flipping shiny sign on their heads saying: Hey ima go absolute ham on you. Guess what most ppl do? Play defensive.

With spectral bow at least you have to option to switch targets, or hold onto it for a whopping 10% critical damage and healing for your other abilities. You cant do that with backlash, in fact for purifying to heal you back the effect actually has to end before you receive any additional bemefits from it.

Then we have defenses:

In no cp, with how rampant dot procs are, shadowy disguise is probably one of the best defensive tools you can have to deal with them, since it supresses all dots.
    In comparison Extended ritual has a base cost of like 5k magicka, and removes 5 negative effects, many of which could be non-dot effects.
    Yes cloak has been known to be buggy and gap closers do break it(which should absolutely be fixed), but quite a few issues are there with templar abilities as well, like jabs causing animation clipping, toppling charge can disable you from using skills etc.

Crescent sweep is nowhere as good as it used to be, beacuse the damage from the skill is more delayed than even its cast time, giving your opponents a lot of time to move out of it.

Is magicka nightblade better than magicka templar? When it comes to the current meta, cloak blades can deal with it better 100% and playing melee magicka in bgs, i mean good luck.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

[snip]

Puncturing Sweep
    p7t2CIi.png
    vYhlq3R.png
    Swallow Soul
    U2h7ICU.png

This is where I play pvp mostly, solo/duo.

I don't play BGs. I dont care about BGs. I don't care about no cp.

I care about outplay potential in playing solo, kitting around resource towers and getting kills, in such situation both magplar and stamplar are not top tier and are not middle tier and most classes have better toolkit for that.

Magblade is a lot stronger for solo play. I don't care about other pvp environments

What I meant bv saying well rounded class is that magblade is jack of all trades compared to how it performs in group/dueling/solo, its not best at any of these enviroments, but its not worst at any of them.

Magplar is and was bad for solo open world expect for 1 patch.

In order to come to that conclusion you have to ignore the 4 out of 6 situations in which the tier list (that you told me to look up, btw) ranks magplar above magblade.

If magplars are better in CP Duo, no CP Duo, small scale open world, and BGs while magblades are only better in CP/no-CP solo, the reasonable conclusion to draw is that magplars are the more well rounded class.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

[edited for baiting]

[snip]

Puncturing Sweep
    p7t2CIi.png
    vYhlq3R.png
    Swallow Soul
    U2h7ICU.png

[edited for baiting]

Well then:

I just love it when ppl try to compare puncturing strikes to other spammables, and then i realise they have 0 flipping clue on how the skill works.

Your whole idea of comparing swallow soul to puncturing strikes is disingenuous from the begining.

Puncturing sweeps is a melee ability, swallow soul is ranged. Ranged spammable do less damage by default than ranged ones, for a good reason.

Second the healing portion of puncturing strikes requires you to actually land the skill, and keep hitting with it.

Once you land swallow soul you continue to receive healing from a single cast for 10! seconds, and you can be doing anything in those 10 seconds, you will still receive the healing.

Also puncturing strikes is a channeled ability which leaves you much more open to counter attacks than any ranged attack.

With how much speed most people run these days, you really need to match it to be able to land those jabs on people, and even then its a melee skill and you put yourself in harms way a lot more than a ranged ability would.

You mentioned spectral bow being hard to land:

It better flippin be, its one of the hardest hitting ability in the game, doing much more damage than many ultimates.

In comparison, backlash right now is horribly buggy, it doesnt scale with a lot of % modifiers(but gets mitigated by them), doesnt scale with weapon or spell damage, and just in general hits like a wet noodle.

On top of it when you put backlash on someone in pvp, you pretty much have to commit to that target, and you also put a big flipping shiny sign on their heads saying: Hey ima go absolute ham on you. Guess what most ppl do? Play defensive.

With spectral bow at least you have to option to switch targets, or hold onto it for a whopping 10% critical damage and healing for your other abilities. You cant do that with backlash, in fact for purifying to heal you back the effect actually has to end before you receive any additional bemefits from it.

Then we have defenses:

In no cp, with how rampant dot procs are, shadowy disguise is probably one of the best defensive tools you can have to deal with them, since it supresses all dots.
    In comparison Extended ritual has a base cost of like 5k magicka, and removes 5 negative effects, many of which could be non-dot effects.
    Yes cloak has been known to be buggy and gap closers do break it(which should absolutely be fixed), but quite a few issues are there with templar abilities as well, like jabs causing animation clipping, toppling charge can disable you from using skills etc.

Crescent sweep is nowhere as good as it used to be, beacuse the damage from the skill is more delayed than even its cast time, giving your opponents a lot of time to move out of it.

Is magicka nightblade better than magicka templar? When it comes to the current meta, cloak blades can deal with it better 100% and playing melee magicka in bgs, i mean good luck.

Good grief man, did you bother reading the post I was responding to where he compared the two? Or even the part of my post where I said "Since you started off talking about Puncturing Sweep & Swallow Soul, we'll use them as an example"? It wasn't "my whole idea," it was someone else's. In any case, on a magblade Concealed Weapon compares even worse to Sweeps — if you want we could compare them, but it wouldn't turn out any differently.

TL;DR, if you don't like the comparison, don't blame me — I didn't make it.

That said, whether you like it or not, it is a necessary comparison to make because I'm forced into using Swallow Soul — otherwise I have no guaranteed healing. If that were not the case then I would definitely not go with Swallow Soul, I'd use Concealed Weapon, or Force Pulse if I wanted to stay ranged — both of which are still worse than Sweeps. However that's not the case, so I am stuck with Swallow Soul. (Heck, even Aurora Javelin is probably a better spammable when you consider it ignores resistances & CCs the target.)

Want to compare the entire toolkit?

Puncturing Sweep > Swallow Soul and Concealed Weapon
    Crescent Sweep > Soul Harvest
    Toppling Charge > Lotus Fan
    Radiant Oppression > Impale
    Nova > Consuming Darkness (which I have literally never seen used)

Purifying Light & Merciless is probably a toss-up, same goes for Cripple & Reflective Light. Rite of Passage & Soul Siphon are probably in the same category though the latter is twice the cost, and Soul Tether can be good (but considering it's expense I'd prefer Crescent Sweep.)

NB does not have skills comparable to Aurora Javelin, Living Dark, Solar Flare, Spear Shards, Sun Shield, etc. and there's nothing in the NB toolkit that compares to anything in the entire Restoring Light line.

NBs have Shade/Cloak which are admittedly unique, great skills (when Cloak works). Aside from that, there's Aspect of Terror (meh), Mark Target (meh), Mirage (good if you can fit it, but RAT is almost always used in it's place), Sap Essence (only good for bombing) and Malevolent Offering (supposedly good on a healer, but I have never even leveled it.)

So at the end of the day, the only real advantages magblade has are Shade & Shadowy Disguise, the latter being the most easily defeated skill in the entire game, bar none. If you think that's enough to outclass the entire Templar toolkit, you're welcome to that opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree.

And plenty of other people would probably disagree with you as well.
    Edited by Langeston on October 8, 2020 8:43PM
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Purifying Light & Merciless is probably a toss-up, same goes for Cripple & Reflective Light. Rite of Passage & Soul Siphon are probably in the same category though the latter is twice the cost, and Soul Tether can be good (but considering it's expense I'd prefer Crescent Sweep.)

Overall I agree with magblade being in a worse place than magplar (not by much anymore tho). But you cant make a comparison between current PL and merciless that doesnt heavily favor merciless. PL takes 6 seconds to go off, requires you to heavily damage your opponent and still wont hit anywhere near to any of the delayed burst skills like curse, shalks, blastbones and also far lower than bow. While bow is dodgeable atleast it has damage worth dodgeing, if PL were dodgeable i dont think anyone would bother wasting the stam to dodge it.
    Between rite and siphon: siphon is only 25 ult more expensive, rite currently has the better defensive buff imo (major protection) but has the big disadvantage of not being able to move while siphon has a cast time for no reason.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »

I run NMA (nerfed I know) with 2H sword front bar. The burst is Potl-javelin-crescent sweep-jabs. Because power of the light is single target anyways, I don't primarily focusing my burst on one target. You just have to be careful with positioning to not get overwhelmed by a group.

The good thing is, even with the increased cost from NMA, crescent sweep is so cheap you have it up for almost every encounter.

Edit:
    Innate axiom seems like it could work really well, but I just really felt the loss of a fully buffed Executioner.

Yeah @MurderMostFoul NMA is still good - I only dropped it so I can cleanse more haha.

I'm actually using Radiant Oppression lol - with Axiom + 3x Bloodthirsty + Balorgh it hits nice and hard and helps me finish off streaktards and rolltards a little easier.
    Edited by Solariken on October 8, 2020 9:29PM
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

Overall I agree with magblade being in a worse place than magplar (not by much anymore tho). But you cant make a comparison between current PL and merciless that doesnt heavily favor merciless. PL takes 6 seconds to go off, requires you to heavily damage your opponent and still wont hit anywhere near to any of the delayed burst skills like curse, shalks, blastbones and also far lower than bow. While bow is dodgeable atleast it has damage worth dodgeing, if PL were dodgeable i dont think anyone would bother wasting the stam to dodge it.
    Between rite and siphon: siphon is only 25 ult more expensive, rite currently has the better defensive buff imo (major protection) but has the big disadvantage of not being able to move while siphon has a cast time for no reason.

I agree that they aren't really comparable, which is why I put it under toss-up. PL is guaranteed to land and is delayed so it will hit simultaneously with another attack — both of which are advantageous. Merciless definitely hits harder if it hits. My frame of mind was that there are many situations where I would be grateful if even a percentage of Merciless landed rather than being completely avoided, because even that could change the flow of a fight. There's also the fact that sometimes all your stacks fall off for no reason. Considering the fact that magblade's entire burst combo centers around Merciless, it's unreliability is a huge detriment to the class — bigger, in my opinion, than PL's weakness is to templar. Either way, I think we agree that both skills are not where they should be.

You're right re: Rite/Siphon, for some reason I was thinking Siphon was 250.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Are you another non-Templar? It really doesn't help having non-Templars enter this conversation. Rather, you should make a forum post about NBs and try to get buffs for your character choice. But since you want to compare apples and oranges.

Punc Sweep is a channel, which puts a snare on the Templar. We also must be within melee range to get any benefit of heals. Swallow soul is instant and allows you to keep your distance. Concealed Weapon is also instant and gives you mega-speed in stealth. A Templar cannot stealth. They have no mobility in their toolkit.

Toppling charge is a wonderful skill. But you also have a Stun and Off-balance with Concealed Weapon. You know, the skill that gives you mega-speed? Lotus Fan is aoe and also causes all enemies to take 8% more damage. You would be better off comparing Lotus Fan to Explosive charge. They are more similar. But even Explosive charge doesn't cause enemies to take 8% more damage.

Radiant Oppression is a channel. Puts a snare on the caster. It isn't instant like Impale. Radiant also doesn't tick as soon as it hits. It should, but it doesn't. It's delayed. So we are often not able to deal the damage we need before the enemy gets out of execute range. It isn't dodgeable which some might say makes it better than Impale. But again, it takes time to start dealing dmg. So I've heard others say that Impale might be better. At least Impale allows you to be mobile.

Why compare Nova and Consuming Darkness? Are they what you would compare? Why not compare it with Soul Tether? That might be a better comparison. Is that because of the Major Protection? I'm not saying that Consuming Darkness is a good skill. But why compare to a Templar's toolkit? Why not create a forum post trying to improve the NBs toolkit?
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »

Are you another non-Templar? It really doesn't help having non-Templars enter this conversation. Rather, you should make a forum post about NBs and try to get buffs for your character choice. But since you want to compare apples and oranges.

Punc Sweep is a channel, which puts a snare on the Templar. We also must be within melee range to get any benefit of heals. Swallow soul is instant and allows you to keep your distance. Concealed Weapon is also instant and gives you mega-speed in stealth. A Templar cannot stealth. They have no mobility in their toolkit.

Toppling charge is a wonderful skill. But you also have a Stun and Off-balance with Concealed Weapon. You know, the skill that gives you mega-speed? Lotus Fan is aoe and also causes all enemies to take 8% more damage. You would be better off comparing Lotus Fan to Explosive charge. They are more similar. But even Explosive charge doesn't cause enemies to take 8% more damage.

Radiant Oppression is a channel. Puts a snare on the caster. It isn't instant like Impale. Radiant also doesn't tick as soon as it hits. It should, but it doesn't. It's delayed. So we are often not able to deal the damage we need before the enemy gets out of execute range. It isn't dodgeable which some might say makes it better than Impale. But again, it takes time to start dealing dmg. So I've heard others say that Impale might be better. At least Impale allows you to be mobile.

Why compare Nova and Consuming Darkness? Are they what you would compare? Why not compare it with Soul Tether? That might be a better comparison. Is that because of the Major Protection? I'm not saying that Consuming Darkness is a good skill. But why compare to a Templar's toolkit? Why not create a forum post trying to improve the NBs toolkit?

Please go back and look at my initial post (or read it below), then read the thread. My only assertion was that Magblade is not a "Ferrari" in PVP, and as far as I was concerned that was the end of it. However other people jumped in, and as you'll see, any comparison of apples & oranges was introduced into the conversation by them — I was simply responding to those [one-sided and inaccurate] comparisons.

If you want to say templar needs a buff, fine. In fact, I agree. However saying it is bottom tier in every regard ignores reality, so if you intend to do that, be prepared to be called out on it. Magblade and Magcro are both in worse positions as it pertains to PVP, and have been for quite a while. That is not a particularly controversial statement to most people.

Edited by Langeston on October 9, 2020 3:11AM