The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

DK dead Class?

Thor199389
Thor199389
✭✭✭
Does ZoS consider DK a dead class or why do they have nothing about it in patch notes?

Just a few things Ive read here already:
PvE DK
- Tank dependend on Major Mending from Obsidian Shield, nerfed without compensation.
- Magicka is meele, sustain on live is already bad, magicka steal nerfed, light attacks nerfed without compensation.

PvP DK
- Stamina dependend on Obsidian Shield aswell...

Guess DK is really dead now?
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for Stamina PvP, in my view the largest problem today is the unreliability of Leap. On Xbox it typically takes many attempts to cast before it fires. This is StamDK's strongest skill and generally viewed as the reason to play the class.

As for Major Mending being diminished, this may likely hurt the ability to survive in Medium Armor. For a while now, Medium Armor has been widely viewed as preferable to Heavy for StamDK (albeit often recommended to be paired with the defensive Nord passives), but there are two skills which synergize quite well with Heavy Armor, and which are often unused by Medium Armor StamDKs, and which, in my view, leave little room for Fragmented Shield in a balanced build: Molten Armaments and Green Dragon Blood. Major Fortitude and Major Endurance are doubled on PTS.

I see many scoff at Major Endurance and Major Fortitude being worth a slot, since you can get these effects from tri-pots, but what happens when you drink a potion, die, and respawn? You have to wait for the potion cooldown to get Major Fortitude back. With GDB, it's always on demand, and allows the use of a wider variety of potions. This potion cooldown issue is more of an issue in BGs than in Cyrodiil, of course.

This however can be contrasted with the fact that roll-dodging confers a brief period of 100% mitigation, and in a high-damage, low-healing paradigm, roll-dodging is often a more effective method of survival than block-casting heals, which has long been regarded as StamDKs primary method of survival. I have played most of the last year or so in 5 Medium, and typically roll-dodge on roll-dodge cost increase cooldown. Regardless, I, and a few other Xbox Day 1 StamDKs I know, have preferred 5 Heavy over the years, and have always used Molten Armaments and Green Dragon Blood. This diminution of Major Mending may compel more StamDKs to try this combination instead of Fragmented Shield + Rally, and rollerball DK may now be best optimized only for a more Glass Cannon playstyle, but being an effective Glass Cannon StamDK requires Leap to function.

In short, no, the class is not dead, but until Leap is more reliable, I wouldn't recommend it over a class which can make better use of Dawnbreaker, i.e., a class which has less of its Power Budget devoted to an offensive Class Ultimate.
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Sleep724
    Sleep724
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh, been wondering why take flight has been taking a number of button smashes to work. Another bug that I don’t see getting fixed anytime soon.

I could see more stam DKs running 7th legion to combine with the major endurance buff to achieve well over 2k health recovery. However I don’t know if that will help enough in medium armor even.
  • OlumoGarbag
    OlumoGarbag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dk sustain thrue combustion passive not magsteal lul
    Dk still has best tanking passives and also best sustain with ult passive and helping hand

Stamdk is now the only stam class with major breach also the other class passives are not effected.

Despite the fact that all your accusations are more or less wrong, stamdk is ded in pvp and pve yes
    class representative for the working class, non-cp, bwb and Trolling
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamdk is now the only stam class with major breach also the other class passives are not effected.

I missed that one. That's pretty major, no? Noxious should be much closer to Sub Assault and Blastbones.

• Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭

I missed that one. That's pretty major, no? Noxious should be much closer to Sub Assault and Blastbones.

Arguably not as good as pierce armor which gives m/M breach though?
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Magicka DK is more or less as good as it ever was with the exception of the short period when the AS Destro Staff was applying stacks of burning...

Unfortunately Magicka DK (and Stamina DK) do not benefit as much from the Major/Minor Intellect/Endurance buff as much as some other classes do since they have no real buffs to regen. So the magickasteal nerf hits them a little more.

Maybe a kind developer will take note of this and buff Combustion or Battle Roar a little?
    Edited by kojou on September 23, 2020 3:39PM
    Playing since beta...
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arguably not as good as pierce armor which gives m/M breach though?

True, not in 1v1, but for XvX I would take Noxious, but it's mostly like that on Live now in my opinion, Ransack is much better than Noxious for 1v1, but not XvX.
  • Thor199389
    Thor199389
    ✭✭✭
    Dk sustain thrue combustion passive not magsteal lul
    Dk still has best tanking passives and also best sustain with ult passive and helping hand

Despite the fact that all your accusations are more or less wrong, stamdk is ded in pvp and pve yes

Read over again please. I never said that DK sustains only with mag steal, I said sustain is bad and the nerf will make it worse. The Buff on Intellect will not effect DKs as good as others since Combustion is not a bonus to regeneration but gives back ressources instant.
    Warden has way more utility for tanking than a DK has. Shimmering Shield eating up the whole Zmaja heavy eg.

Major Breach is also avaiable on Puncture and its morphs.

Despite the fact that you did not read/understood and also dont know about the topic you are talking about, thank you for your post.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MagDK seems fine, suffering only from global nerfs. I've always played with Charged inferno on front bar and Breton race, even during BfB boom. Charged trait offers both, sustain and damage on DK class so it's definitely worth. The damage loss compared to precise is small, but the sustain gain is noticeable.

Also, I've been experimenting lately with Charged frost staff on front bar with frost enchant. I did lost 3k dps on target attro that way but made 70% Minor Brittle uptime. I think it's worth to lose 3k individual dps to provide 10% more critical damage for other 7 people.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 23, 2020 5:11PM
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MagDK seems fine, suffering only from global nerfs. I've always played with Charged inferno on front bar and Breton race, even during BfB boom. Charged trait offers both, sustain and damage on DK class so it's definitely worth. The damage loss compared to precise is small, but the sustain gain is noticeable.

Also, I've been experimenting lately with Charged frost staff on front bar with frost enchant. I did lost 3k dps on target attro that way but made 70% Minor Brittle uptime. I think it's worth to lose 3k individual dps to provide 10% more critical damage for other 7 people.

Sustain is terrible unless you are a Breton and then you're doing less damage and also just not something you can change easily.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
    The lack of communication from ZOS to player speaks volumes.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sustain is terrible unless you are a Breton and then you're doing less damage and also just not something you can change easily.

The damage difference between Breton and Altmer is now smaller due to heavily increased spell damage on Major and Minor Courage (the more spell damage you already have, the less of benefit Altmer is to you).

If you still worry a lot about sustain, try my special sustain combo - Charged Inferno staff front bar with either Poison enchant or alchemical double dot poisons + Infused Inferno staff back bar with flame enchant. That's almost guaranteed 500 magicka back every 2 seconds from enchant alone. Talking from experience, this setup on single target is only 1k dps behind standard Infused Berserker setup.

There is ton of possibilities. Just be creative and don't listen to streamers.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on September 23, 2020 6:02PM
  • High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    Playing my stamDK in PvP no-CP BGs CP Cyro and both ICs is very frustrating. Reason being all classes do what i do even better. Mages have haunting curse that hits like a truck, wardens can sit in one place or run like a mofo and heal himself like there is no tommorrow, necros blasting boning me to death, NBs 5 shot me in full heavy combined with pariah.

It's as if my resistance do not work, doesn't matter how much i have be it 25k or 40k its still the same death recap WTH is going on ZOS ?! My self sustain sucks, my healing sucks, i roll dodge i get hit by lasers DW bloodthirst and aoe, my dots are kinda ok if i pair them with deadly strike set, but as i said all classes do what i do but WAAAAAY better. Seeing the PTS natch potes brings a sad frown on my face.

BGs are full with wardens, necros,NBs and sorcs. Those classes have mobility shields and abilities that do not need to aim, meanwhile ME THE INTELECTUAL trying to hit with noxious breath my opponent who is right in front of my face and it not placing dots or doing damage - WHAT ?! It's even sad when i manage to place my dots and the enemy purges them, MY FREAKING CLASS ABILITIES THAT MAKE UP MOST OF MY DAMAGE !

Wardens and necros have aoe ults that are on them, meanwhile my standard sits in one place or the morph version that can be move needs to be replaced every time the battle moves from one place to another, and it is not instant, it is easily dodgeable. Instead of the ult being placed on my back acting like a BANNERCARRIER nah put it on the ground so all the enemy players can move out from it.

Bottom line is wardens and necros are the better versions of DK.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The damage difference between Breton and Altmer is now smaller due to heavily increased spell damage on Major and Minor Courage (the more spell damage you already have, the less of benefit Altmer is to you).

If you still worry a lot about sustain, try my special sustain combo - Charged Inferno staff front bar with either Poison enchant or alchemical double dot poisons + Infused Inferno staff back bar with flame enchant. That's almost guaranteed 500 magicka back every 2 seconds from enchant alone. Talking from experience, this setup on single target is only 1k dps behind standard Infused Berserker setup.

There is ton of possibilities. Just be creative and don't listen to streamers.

Don't worry I always make my own build, and I'm Dunmer, and my sustian is terrible, in a state worse than it should be.
    But thank you for the advice, I personally use acuity frontbar with charged to get the best out of crit and charged, and still doing 90k on live, and 85k on PTS because I'm too annoyed to continuing parsing with how my sustain is.

Also, the infused berserker setup is a lot different in AoE fights, you lose a lot of DPS, but otherwise yeah that is a setup you can use, but it doesn't give much more sustain than normal setup.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Kharner
    Kharner
    ✭✭
    In PVP, StamDK is in a really awkward spot. The utility the class brings to the table compared to necro, warden, and NB is terrible. The only thing propping up Stam DK's is leap, thats it. Even with healing nerfs to battle spirit, breath, and claw dont do enough compared to shalks/blastbones/relentless focus. Warden, and necro have much better mitigation, AND damage.

DK now has literally nothing over any other stam class. For gods sake the best dot passive in the game is on necro as well. DK passives are from 2014 design goals, and have been left behind. I only still play my Stam DK out of stubbornness, even though I know I would be much better off maining Necro.
  • High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    Kharner wrote: »
    In PVP, StamDK is in a really awkward spot. The utility the class brings to the table compared to necro, warden, and NB is terrible. The only thing propping up Stam DK's is leap, thats it. Even with healing nerfs to battle spirit, breath, and claw dont do enough compared to shalks/blastbones/relentless focus. Warden, and necro have much better mitigation, AND damage.

DK now has literally nothing over any other stam class. For gods sake the best dot passive in the game is on necro as well. DK passives are from 2014 design goals, and have been left behind. I only still play my Stam DK out of stubbornness, even though I know I would be much better off maining Necro.

Same here the only reason i play my DK is LEAP, achievements, pvp rank and my love for my character. I don't know what ZOS were thinking when they buffed necros and wardens so much, i guess they really need the cash to sell those DLCs.

DK needs something the other classes do not have like an addition buff to some of it's abilities like maybe unstoppable to fragmented shield with a longer buff to health received, a bigger shield IDK make me feel like an unstoppable KNIGHT not a poison applying rogue.
    Edited by High_Solar on September 24, 2020 4:38AM
  • Glantir
    Glantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    High_Solar wrote: »

Same here the only reason i play my DK is LEAP, achievements, pvp rank and my love for my character. I don't know what ZOS were thinking when they buffed necros and wardens so much, i guess they really need the cash to sell those DLCs.

DK needs something the other classes do not have like an addition buff to some of it's abilities like maybe unstoppable to fragmented shield with a longer buff to health received, a bigger shield IDK make me feel like an unstoppable KNIGHT not a poison applying rogue.

You mean something like a debuff for extra fire dmg? Would be awesome if the the DK could do that, oh wait he can ^^. Just joking, i dont think the DK will be Dead. At least in PvE you will always have 1 or 2 in your group.
    Glantir Sorcerer ~ Ebonheart Pact (EU)
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glantir wrote: »

You mean something like a debuff for extra fire dmg? Would be awesome if the the DK could do that, oh wait he can ^^. Just joking, i dont think the DK will be Dead. At least in PvE you will always have 1 or 2 in your group.

Not in Markarth when magDK does around 70k dps when others do over 10k more. DK is dead in PvE.
  • Batmanna
    Batmanna
    ✭✭✭
    DK in PvP suffer from skills nerfed without compensation and passives that are outdated and pathetic. New nerfs to magsteal and light attack only enforce the idea of a dead class that has nothing going for it. Just look at the cost of embers and tell me what kind of mitigation a dk have.
    Shame
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rrimöykk wrote: »

Not in Markarth when magDK does around 70k dps when others do over 10k more. DK is dead in PvE.

I'm doing 87k with bad lag but comapred to stamcro at 97k I might as well be doing 70k.
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Kharner
    Kharner
    ✭✭
    I'm not letting this thread get forgotten, the devs need to see this. DK, both mag, and stam are in a terrible spot in pve, and pvp. Outdated, under-tuned passives from 2014. Skills that were nerfed and never looked at again. Low damage dots. DK's need something.
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm doing 87k with bad lag but comapred to stamcro at 97k I might as well be doing 70k.

Stamcro gonna hit over 100 when the dummy has the current buffs in the next week's update.
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not letting this thread get forgotten, the devs need to see this. DK, both mag, and stam are in a terrible spot in pve, and pvp. Outdated, under-tuned passives from 2014. Skills that were nerfed and never looked at again. Low damage dots. DK's need something.

Agreed. Mag skills cost way too much compared to other classes and we solely rely on those.

Stam skills just don't do enough dmg compared to other classes. Weak poisons. I love the idea of poisons but they need to be looked at. Also people have requested Stone Giant change for a while now along with stam morph of Whip.
  • High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    I can't believe that proc sets like Sheervenom and merciless set have better dots than my class dots. DKs are literally the gimpest class of them all at the moment.
  • Vizirith
    Vizirith
    ✭✭✭✭
    They need to address the sustain for both mag and stam dk. You have 3 pretty clunky class passives for sustain, not counting the 25% reduction for poison abilities:

Combustion: When you apply Burning to an enemy, you restore 500 Magicka. When you apply Poisoned to an enemy, you restore 500 Stamina.

Battle Roar: When you cast an Ultimate ability, you restore 46 Health, 46 Magicka, and 46 Stamina for each point of the Ultimate's cost.

Helping Hands: When you cast a non Stamina costing Earthen Heart ability, you restore 990 Stamina.

Single Target
    StamDK using noxious breath, venomous claw, poison injection, no poisons/poison enchants.

Noxious Breath has a 5% chance to proc combustion on use, and a 1% (x14) chance on dot damage.
    - Without recasting, 19% chance to proc once during that 14 secs.

Venomous Claw has a guaranteed proc and a 3% (x14) chance on dot damage
    - Without recasting, 1 proc, 42% chance to proc again

Poison Injection has a 10% chance on use and a 3% (x10) chance on dot damage
    - Without recasting, 40% chance to proc

If you snapshot just the first 10 secs, you theoretically have 1 guaranteed proc and a 85% chance to proc a second time. That amounts to be around 185 stamina regen unaffected by any buffs.

Battleroar with no ult gen buffs/sets with an ult gen of 3/sec will amount to 276 stam/mag regen.

Helping hands stam regen depends on magicka/mag regen significantly.

Both battleroar and combustion are quite potent on paper but suffer from being much less fluid than all the other class stam regen mechanics. NB has a flat 15% bonus coupled with reave from incap and siphoning strikes. Templar has the flat 480 mag or stam regen. Sorcerer has dark deal/conversion. Necromancer has the 200 mag/stam regen that is affected by buffs and the around 200 stam regen from mortal coil. Warden has the netch giving around 368 of either stam or mag, plus 12% stam and mag regen with animal companion skill slotted, and when you heal an ally with a Green Balance ability, you gain 250 Magicka or 250 Stamina, whichever resource pool is lower, can occur once every second.

Sorcerer is the only class with similar burst resource gen, but dark deal is far superior and still has a 240 regen component attached.
  • ecru
    ecru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizirith wrote: »
    They need to address the sustain for both mag and stam dk. You have 3 pretty clunky class passives for sustain, not counting the 25% reduction for poison abilities:

Combustion: When you apply Burning to an enemy, you restore 500 Magicka. When you apply Poisoned to an enemy, you restore 500 Stamina.

Battle Roar: When you cast an Ultimate ability, you restore 46 Health, 46 Magicka, and 46 Stamina for each point of the Ultimate's cost.

Helping Hands: When you cast a non Stamina costing Earthen Heart ability, you restore 990 Stamina.

Single Target
    StamDK using noxious breath, venomous claw, poison injection, no poisons/poison enchants.

Noxious Breath has a 5% chance to proc combustion on use, and a 1% (x14) chance on dot damage.
    - Without recasting, 19% chance to proc once during that 14 secs.

Venomous Claw has a guaranteed proc and a 3% (x14) chance on dot damage
    - Without recasting, 1 proc, 42% chance to proc again

Poison Injection has a 10% chance on use and a 3% (x10) chance on dot damage
    - Without recasting, 40% chance to proc

If you snapshot just the first 10 secs, you theoretically have 1 guaranteed proc and a 85% chance to proc a second time. That amounts to be around 185 stamina regen unaffected by any buffs.

Battleroar with no ult gen buffs/sets with an ult gen of 3/sec will amount to 276 stam/mag regen.

Helping hands stam regen depends on magicka/mag regen significantly.

Both battleroar and combustion are quite potent on paper but suffer from being much less fluid than all the other class stam regen mechanics. NB has a flat 15% bonus coupled with reave from incap and siphoning strikes. Templar has the flat 480 mag or stam regen. Sorcerer has dark deal/conversion. Necromancer has the 200 mag/stam regen that is affected by buffs and the around 200 stam regen from mortal coil. Warden has the netch giving around 368 of either stam or mag, plus 12% stam and mag regen with animal companion skill slotted, and when you heal an ally with a Green Balance ability, you gain 250 Magicka or 250 Stamina, whichever resource pool is lower, can occur once every second.

Sorcerer is the only class with similar burst resource gen, but dark deal is far superior and still has a 240 regen component attached.

Battle Roar is a big problem with DK, as it's balanced around using an ult on cooldown, which isn't always what you want to do. The longer you hold your ult, the further behind you fall other classes in terms of resources, and you're also penalized for not slotting a high cost ult to ult dump and get a ton of resources back. It's really poor design IMO, and a better way to go about it would be to reward resources based on the amount of ult used, not the cost of the ult itself. Capping this at like 250 would probably be best as being able to dump 500 ult and get all health/resources back would be OP, but at least we wouldn't be penalized for not using our ult right away. Basically, every point of ult gained past the cost of the ult we're planning on using shouldn't be "wasted".

DK dots also need a flat damage buff. Set procs doing more damage than 14 second long DK dots shouldn't be a thing.
    Edited by ecru on September 25, 2020 12:06AM
    Gryphon Heart
    Godslayer
    Dawnbringer
  • High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    Most passive aren't doing anything for most of us stam DKs, reason being we slot so little of out class abilities because they either cost a lot of magicka or they aren't that good.

For sDKs the best magicka spells are fossilize, fragment shield, cauterize and volatile armor, and on top of that if you slot more than 2 of the magicka spells, you can't cast them all, 1-2 casts and all your magicka is gone. So couple this with bad passives and weak class spells and you are worthless 90% of the time.

My bank and house are full of sets, and only 1/5th of those sets give me a fighting chance in PvP. Usually when i slot a set or a certain spell i weaken my self in a lot of aspects either defensive, sustain or damage in exchange fir some sort of buff for one of those that i mentioned, and even then it's still not enough.

Looking at the other classes and what they are able to do really make sDK and maybe DK as a whole not suitable for a lot of PvP engagements.
  • Jodynn
    Jodynn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stamcro gonna hit over 100 when the dummy has the current buffs in the next week's update.

With brittle and 100% crit in execute, yep.

With major vuln on everything you'll probably be doing 100k with every stam class.
    Edited by Jodynn on September 25, 2020 3:07PM
    Jodynn PC NA
    PvE and PvP MagDK
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With brittle and 100% crit in execute, yep.

With major vuln on everything you'll probably be doing 100k with every stam class.

Most** but I hope I'm wrong lol
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    magdk is a beast at dueling, what tf r u talking about
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every class is dead in PvP. It's all about proc sets, not your class.