The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Ritual of Retribution

• Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is that the class no longer has any redeemable skills.

Every class has a BoL heal, the only good ult they have has a cast time, their unique burst skill is impossible to fill in pvp and not very bursty, melee channel spammable and channel execute but their is zero reason to use a channel and lastly our last hope at keeping uo with other classes (damage wise) has been gutted.

Stick a fork in them templars are over. Ive moved on a few patches ago and will never look back. Soo many years of crying about how obviously inferior the templar toolkit is when all i needed to do was move on.
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is seriously one of the most depressing changes I have ever heard about as long as I can remember. Seriously what is the purpose of ruining this skill other than an attempt to bandaid some PVP meta?

Really ZOS, class identity USED to mean something. Losing the heal from this ability is like burning down the Templar class identity church for no good reason whatsoever.

@ZOS_GinaBruno can someone explain the logic here?
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    Ritual of retribution should be changed. Stamplars have vigor, ring of protection, and rune focus. With these three, I have completed vMA and vet trials with ease. Magplars have sweeps, harness magicka, and rune focus. Making ritual of retribution more damage is great, an overall positive change. Don't forget all the other class abilities that provide heals if you really need them.
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ritual of retribution should be changed. Stamplars have vigor, ring of protection, and rune focus. With these three, I have completed vMA and vet trials with ease. Magplars have sweeps, harness magicka, and rune focus. Making ritual of retribution more damage is great, an overall positive change. Don't forget all the other class abilities that provide heals if you really need them.

Rune Focus doesn't heal, and Harness Magicka is a 6sec shield you would have to keep up much more often.

Other than that, I guess this sounds good, if your goal is to make all classes exactly the same.
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭

ye sure, another large AoE that deal average damage and cost a sh*t ton of Magicka. Also, Stamplar rely on healing 100% outside of Templar's skill line. Make sense!
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we please stop smashing the entire game for everyone with a lurch hammer just because a few guys in PVP have a "meta?"
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why hasnt ritual of ret been reverted yet. literally stop messing with stuff that isnt broken
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just run extended if you're a stamplar now for both pve and pvp. rituals damage is basically negligible and you only have to cast extended once every two rotations if you or the group requires more healing / ult gain. Besides that it makes no difference in your dps using ritual over extended as completely avoiding the skill in my rotations boosts my dps a bit.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sure lets replace 1 heals skills with 3... for stamplar... they just need jabs right?
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is nothing interesting left about templars.
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How about giving Ritual of Retribution morph a %hp based periodic self-heal (similar to dark cloak) in addition to damage?

We could kill three flies in one hit.
    1) templar tanks would finally get a % hp based self-heal
    2) templar DDs would retain the self-healing function of the morph
    3) no longer stacking templars DDs for massive AoE healing by stacking multiple rituals. Also, updated Light Weaver passive interaction with the morph would be limited to work only on the casting templar and not on allies.
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on August 11, 2020 9:48AM
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about giving Ritual of Retribution morph a %hp based periodic self-heal (similar to dark cloak) in addition to damage?

We could kill three flies in one hit.
    1) templar tanks would finally get a % hp based self-heal
    2) templar DDs would retain the self-healing function of the morph
    3) no longer stacking templars DDs for massive AoE healing by stacking multiple rituals. Also, updated Light Weaver passive interaction with the morph would be limited to work only on the casting templar and not on allies.

that would be great, but i have doubt they will do something like that
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why ZOS equates balancing with boring. They are going to turn this game into DCUO where abilities for DPS don't do anything other than damage and the mechanics of playing them equal doing a static rotation no matter the encounter.
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they wont fix it... even if we have great idea
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with the devs. This is neccessary! And long overdue!
    The Ritual of Retribution is yet again a be all / do everything skill in the templar class. [snip]

Choices are what make a great gaming experience. Without impactful consequences one option dominates all other. That in turn removes the reality of the choice.

How could anybody want that?

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on August 15, 2020 1:02PM
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Altmer MagSorc Healer
    Nord StamDen Brawler
    Breton BladeRunner

Another non-Templar chiming in. And look at those top tier classes they play. lol?
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems a bit pointless to suggest it now, but recently I had an idea for Ritual of Retribution.

Keep the skill as is on live, and swap out the damage over time component with a 40% snare, so the skill would read as follows:

Exalt in the sacred light of the Aedra, cleansing up to 2 harmful effects from yourself immediately. While in the area, you and allies are healed for 272, while enemies have their Movement Speed decreased by 40% for 4 seconds. Allies in the area can activate the Purify synergy, cleansing all harmful effects from themselves and healing for 667 Health. Scales with your highest offensive stats.
    (numbers from eso-skillbook)

In theory, this would keep the usefulness of the ability in PVP, and also make the skill potentially useful for tanks by giving them back what was lost when Sacred Ground was changed.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
    Edited by ealdwin on August 16, 2020 4:10AM
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ealdwin wrote: »
    It seems a bit pointless to suggest it now, but recently I had an idea for Ritual of Retribution.

Keep the skill as is on live, and swap out the damage over time component with a 40% snare, so the skill would read as follows:

Exalt in the sacred light of the Aedra, cleansing up to 2 harmful effects from yourself immediately. While in the area, you and allies are healed for 272, while enemies have their Movement Speed decreased by 40% for 4 seconds. Allies in the area can activate the Purify synergy, cleansing all harmful effects from themselves and healing for 667 Health. Scales with your highest offensive stats.

In theory, this would keep the usefulness of the ability in PVP, and also make the skill potentially useful for tanks by giving them back what was lost when Sacred Ground was changed.

Isn't that basically DK's Cinder Storm with a much larger area of effect, a synergy, and a cleanse?
  • TheDarkRuler
    TheDarkRuler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »
    What about reworking it:

-remove the purge
    -deals X damage to every enemy in the circle that damage the caster while in the circle (thorns)
    -heals for % damage caused over 6s

This way it would be little less overloaded and award being aggressive instead of being "just a dot"

I'D play that. :)
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that basically DK's Cinder Storm with a much larger area of effect, a synergy, and a cleanse?

Lol, it is.

Haven't played DK (or looked at their skillset, for that matter) in a while.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Lol, it is.

Haven't played DK (or looked at their skillset, for that matter) in a while.

Dks have plenty of strong aoe damage outside of cinderstorm, like burning talons, engulfing flames, hard hitting burning status effect, all ignoring evasion btw.
    Templars have reflective light which is a weak dot, all other aoes affected by evasion.
  • Gorreck
    Gorreck
    ✭✭✭

It used to effectively have a snare btw!
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    still no revert for RoR? okay.
  • Kardrik
    Kardrik
    ✭✭✭
    I converted one of my DPS templars to Stamina not too long ago, was a bit underwhelmed.
    I expected Stamplars to have a bit more selfhealing in tree. Not as much as the magplars, but I kind of expected being a whole holy warriort thing they would have some selfhealing and maybe some group healing utility.

Turns out I was wrong, and the devs are actively cutting heals out of the templar skill lines.
    Well okay, since stamplar has to rely on out of class stuff for healing completely, what makes them unique? Nightblades have their burst, DK's have their DoTs, Templars have their... jabs, backlash, and rune focus?

I keep seeing all these stamplar builds with mostly abilities out of their trees, so whats the point of running a stamplar? Are the only stamina classes that use many class abilities going to be Necro, DK, and Nightblades?
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kardrik wrote: »
    I converted one of my DPS templars to Stamina not too long ago, was a bit underwhelmed.
    I expected Stamplars to have a bit more selfhealing in tree. Not as much as the magplars, but I kind of expected being a whole holy warriort thing they would have some selfhealing and maybe some group healing utility.

Turns out I was wrong, and the devs are actively cutting heals out of the templar skill lines.
    Well okay, since stamplar has to rely on out of class stuff for healing completely, what makes them unique? Nightblades have their burst, DK's have their DoTs, Templars have their... jabs, backlash, and rune focus?

I keep seeing all these stamplar builds with mostly abilities out of their trees, so whats the point of running a stamplar? Are the only stamina classes that use many class abilities going to be Necro, DK, and Nightblades?

Extended ritual still does what you just described. Stamplars just wont be using the retribution morph. This change is just stupid because retribution will just be another dead morph till they decide to take another look at it.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • NecrosIX
    NecrosIX
    ✭✭
    Fitting with the theme of 'retribution', may I suggest that up to 2 status ailments be transfered to an enemy within the circle. Also, enemies within the circle suffer some form of reflected damage.

It's important to keep class skills distinct and creative or eso will end up being another cookie cutter mmo.
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Kardrik wrote: »

Extended ritual still does what you just described. Stamplars just wont be using the retribution morph. This change is just stupid because retribution will just be another dead morph till they decide to take another look at it.

Stamplar is allready the class that will suffer the most from this changes (in the StamDDs) which wasent requiered at all. Not the worse, i admit it, but not the best either. While StamDD arent wanted for hight end content because of stupid mecanics making range (which mean Magicka) better, Necro also provide the ULTIME ULTIMATE debuff to the game while being the best along the StamDDs (at a cost of little bug, have to admit it. Bugs which are going to be fix more or less. Some were focus on this patch which would make them more reliable)
    So, on top of losing damage, we will lose even more because RoR is badly, sadly, redesigne.

It's really really sad. I dont recall how much StamPlar will lose in DPS to this patch. Add to the fact that it's DEAD for PvP. As a Stamplar i mean. We can still use it with 163138% skill from other skill lines. As it was said : What is the point of being (stam)plars at this point?
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People sure love to forget that Ritual costs like 4k magicka. Yes it is a powerful spell with lots of effects, but it is expensive as hell. The only way I was ever able to afford casting it to begin with was by using Blood for Blood instead of sweeps. Now that won't be an option doubly because of anti-healing from BfB as well as no more healing from RoR. An no, a dps will not run a mediocre heal over time skill in their rotation just to use BfB.

You should look at what Ash Cloud costs.

It also has almost double the duration. That is why its cost is justified.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People sure love to forget that Ritual costs like 4k magicka. Yes it is a powerful spell with lots of effects, but it is expensive as hell. The only way I was ever able to afford casting it to begin with was by using Blood for Blood instead of sweeps. Now that won't be an option doubly because of anti-healing from BfB as well as no more healing from RoR. An no, a dps will not run a mediocre heal over time skill in their rotation just to use BfB.

Yeah, its duration is so long and its area of effect is so small that on even remotely mobile fights you have to constantly recast it before it finishes.

I could (but won't) argue that RoR should cost 4x as much as Ash Cloud because even though its duration is only 2/3 as long it covers almost 6x as much area.

Be happy with what you have.
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on August 19, 2020 8:54PM
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Is there anyone who would be against reducing the base duration and cost of Ash Cloud by 20% (from 15s to 12s)?
    Edited by Olupajmibanan on August 20, 2020 6:10AM