Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

February 2020 Furnishing Limit Status Update

• Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a note that it's now been 5 months since this was originally posted and ZOS has made no attempt to respond.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thannazzar wrote: »
    Just a note that it's now been 5 months since this was originally posted and ZOS has made no attempt to respond.

I don't think they have any intention of ever responding to this thread again. They did this to tell us we were not going to see any improvement in this area and we'd better just get used to it.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »

I don't think they have any intention of ever responding to this thread again. They did this to tell us we were not going to see any improvement in this area and we'd better just get used to it.

Don't know if its a glimmer of hope or not... but they did reply to a Wish List post.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

At this stage I'd be grateful for a response that just covers.

1. If 700 items is a hard cap, why can't all homes be elevated to that item cap?

2. Wil ZOS now focus on developing quality spaces that can be effectively decorated within the cap rather than huge homes that can't?
    Edited by Thannazzar on July 9, 2020 6:51AM
  • Colinr1968
    Colinr1968
    ✭✭
    If you not giving more slots to furnish you house why you giving more items to put in your house people worked hard get them right and pow you throw more stuff at them like the stupid guest feature you can put in your house yes a guest can be put in your house as of next update.
    Would rather see guest book where you can add people to come and go from your house and also have access to your decorating while you off line as you assign them decorating duties ,plus should be able put stuff in other houses where you are an assigned decorator so you don't have to give it to house owner then he pulls it out for you.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Grand Psijic Villa has all slots filled and there is barely any performance decrease noticeable on my old mediocre laptop. You underestimate your own servers. Adding 100 traditional slots or so would hardly change anything negatively. It does little in terms of performance, but wonders in terms of details and creativity.

I do not buy that a small increase like that would set everything ablaze. Please do not balance housing around trolls that stack 700 objects at the entrance to crash people whom enter. Most people love their house and are reasonable.

I also do not believe increasing the pet limit by 10 would be the end of all.
    You are about to add NPC pathing as the big feature, but we can only have have a maximum of 10 pets/mounts in big houses? :neutral: I am very certain that reasonable increases would not be dramatic, while allowing us to do a lot with it. I could do wonders with just a hundret more slots. :) And could also display more loved creatures with 10 additional pet slots.

When we talk about limit increases, we do not speak of astronomical numbers like 1000. A mere 100 would be a lovely start that would make many happy without becoming a detriment. Please Zenimax, we are not greedy. But the limit right now does not even allow to remotely fill houses of the size in which they are released.
    Edited by Dracane on July 11, 2020 1:53AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a status update of the status update?
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
    2: Spellcrafting.
    3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
    4: Summon weapon.
    5: Change the Housing item limit.
    6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
    7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
    8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
    9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
    10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
    11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asdara wrote: »
    How about a status update of the status update?

Wouldn't that be nice?

• Arictheana
    Arictheana
    ✭✭✭
    Rift has an item limit of 2250 per place
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arictheana wrote: »
    Rift has an item limit of 2250 per place

Yes, but Rift is an older game with sharper textures and more vibrant colors on smaller servers so....... so.... um.......

.... never mind.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CullenLee Could you update us PLEASE it's been 6 months already
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
    2: Spellcrafting.
    3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
    4: Summon weapon.
    5: Change the Housing item limit.
    6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
    7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
    8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
    9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
    10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
    11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asdara wrote: »
    ZOS_CullenLee Could you update us PLEASE it's been 6 months already

Let's see... this is what they would say:

"In Update 27 we are adding house guests. These count towards the Special Collectible furnishing limit, which has not changed."

I am not sure what you are expecting. The only update we should have bee expecting was in the recent ESO Live. :disappointed:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, there's not ever going to be a reply to this from ZOS. I feel bad for @ZOS_SarahHecker who obviously drew the short straw and was selected to let us know that we can expect NO improvements to player housing regarding the item caps.

The only sane thing to do at this point is to stop buying houses until they have rectified the issue.

And honestly, as much as I hate the caps, I'd still be willing to buy 700 furnishing slot, 24 player capped homes IF they'd make them of a reasonable size to be properly decorated and if they'd make them actual HOMES instead of weird nonsensical collections of "rooms" that follow no sane floorplan for any kind of dwelling or weird copies of dungeons or caves.

Also, I really believe the "real" problem here is console performance. I'm fairly certain that it's consoles that cannot handle the level of detail an increased number of furnishing slots would entail or an increased player cap. And since for reasons beyond my comprehension the powers that be have decided that both PC and console players should experience the exact same thing the game is going to continue to be "dumbed down" so that no one can see a difference between the two platforms.
    Edited by MornaBaine on August 3, 2020 10:38AM

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I really believe the "real" problem here is console performance. I'm fairly certain that it's consoles that cannot handle the level of detail an increased number of furnishing slots would entail or an increased player cap. And since for reasons beyond my comprehension the powers that be have decided that both PC and console players should experience the exact same thing the game is going to continue to be "dumbed down" so that no one can see a difference between the two platforms.

Having experienced ESO on both a good PC and standard PS4, I would suggest that this is likely not far from the truth. The PS4 will show strain under conditions that I never have problems with on my PC.

Then again, not everyone on PC has a good gaming computer to use. The main difference being that the console players have to pretty much use what they are given, where the PC players have to make decisions that fit their budget, etc.

Personally, I do not feel that ZOS is quite aggressive enough with setting the technical limits. I think they have set a nice, comfy, limit that may very well be too low for a lot of the customers that consume that content.

My feeling is that most of the limits that people hit are hit because of marketing limits, not because of technical limits. They are selling limits, both in housing styles and ESO Plus. Anyone who is not ESO Plus, and does not have the largest house style, automatically hits the marketing limit before the technical limit.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need more furnishing slots. I don't want to destroy my house to add new furnishings while there is still room left for new additions.
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajThorax wrote: »
    We need more furnishing slots. I don't want to destroy my house to add new furnishings while there is still room left for new additions.

Before I start decorating I have to consciously decide what room I want to be the most elaborate. I start there. Then once I have it where I like it I move on to the next favorite room... then when I get to the last area and hit the finishing limit, I go back in reverse (least favorite room to favorite room) deciding what small details I could get rid of without totally ruining a "scene."

Its so painful :'(
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

Having experienced ESO on both a good PC and standard PS4, I would suggest that this is likely not far from the truth. The PS4 will show strain under conditions that I never have problems with on my PC.

Then again, not everyone on PC has a good gaming computer to use. The main difference being that the console players have to pretty much use what they are given, where the PC players have to make decisions that fit their budget, etc.

Personally, I do not feel that ZOS is quite aggressive enough with setting the technical limits. I think they have set a nice, comfy, limit that may very well be too low for a lot of the customers that consume that content.

My feeling is that most of the limits that people hit are hit because of marketing limits, not because of technical limits. They are selling limits, both in housing styles and ESO Plus. Anyone who is not ESO Plus, and does not have the largest house style, automatically hits the marketing limit before the technical limit.

I think you're definitely on to something there. Maybe the real reason they won't give us more slots is because they have yet to decide how they want to sell it to us. :neutral:

• anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been trying to get back into decorating after a hiatus, and what really grinds my gears is almost every one of my houses has a wasted 10 slots for "special furnishings" (not collectibles). IIRC there are not that many items categorized this way (mostly special effect crown store items) - and I'd really rather have 10 more normal slots.

Have they ever addressed any of the ideas floated in this fine community has come up with for alternative solutions if they absolutely cannot increase the limit?
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »
    I've been trying to get back into decorating after a hiatus, and what really grinds my gears is almost every one of my houses has a wasted 10 slots for "special furnishings" (not collectibles). IIRC there are not that many items categorized this way (mostly special effect crown store items) - and I'd really rather have 10 more normal slots.

Have they ever addressed any of the ideas floated in this fine community has come up with for alternative solutions if they absolutely cannot increase the limit?

Nope. Nor do they intend to. Flexibility is not what they do.
    Edited by MornaBaine on August 10, 2020 12:55PM

• LadySinflower
    LadySinflower
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the request for attunable crafting stations that could be attuned to all sets in the game. Here's the problem I see with that. I go to my various guild houses to do my master writs. While I'm there, usually so are several other people using the various stations. With the large number of stations there, very seldom have I encountered another player who needed to use the same station as me at the same moment. Now, imagine a guild house with one of each station type, attuned to all sets in the game. I, and ten others, enter the guild house to do master writs or make set pieces for other reasons. Now we have 11 people gathered around a single crafting station, jockeying for space, flappy birds, bears, and other pets visible in everyone's periphery (and possibly blocking access for others), and an overall annoying experience. Maybe instead the solution would be to attune ten sets to a single station? That's just a number I threw out as an example. But that would reduce the number of crafting stations in each guild house while still allowing players to be using different stations if they happened to show up at the same time. I dunno. Just a thought.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep seeing the request for attunable crafting stations that could be attuned to all sets in the game. Here's the problem I see with that. I go to my various guild houses to do my master writs. While I'm there, usually so are several other people using the various stations. With the large number of stations there, very seldom have I encountered another player who needed to use the same station as me at the same moment. Now, imagine a guild house with one of each station type, attuned to all sets in the game. I, and ten others, enter the guild house to do master writs or make set pieces for other reasons. Now we have 11 people gathered around a single crafting station, jockeying for space, flappy birds, bears, and other pets visible in everyone's periphery (and possibly blocking access for others), and an overall annoying experience. Maybe instead the solution would be to attune ten sets to a single station? That's just a number I threw out as an example. But that would reduce the number of crafting stations in each guild house while still allowing players to be using different stations if they happened to show up at the same time. I dunno. Just a thought.

Regular pets don't come into player houses fortunately. Combat pets, I believe, do. Not dropping them is simply a matter of players failing to be polite to each other. Attunable crafting stations that can do all sets are still a good idea. Why couldn't a prosperous guild have 10 of them?
    Edited by MornaBaine on September 1, 2020 2:24AM

• SkyeRyder
    SkyeRyder
    Soul Shriven
    I would love to see window objects we could add to the inside of homes much like a competing MMO has to let in more light :P Homes are too dark and gloomy. I would also like the ability to remove weeds and crumbling structures that we HATE which would allow us to make the homes look nice plus increase our object allowance with things we like. :)
  • SkyeRyder
    SkyeRyder
    Soul Shriven
    One more thing lol, The homes are not laid out in any logical way for a home. I speak as someone with some experience in architecture...I enter many of the homes and cringe...
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkyeRyder wrote: »
    One more thing lol, The homes are not laid out in any logical way for a home. I speak as someone with some experience in architecture...I enter many of the homes and cringe...

I absolutely agree with this and it's been one of my major issues with housing all along. None of them follow either a modern of medieval/otherwise historical layout. I get that they can't make a castle with as many rooms as it would actually have. Okay. Fine. But at the very least give us defined living, sleeping, kitchen and bath areas. And outhouses! LOL And when you preview a house in its furnished state it's even worse. Things are just haphazardly thrown down without rhyme or reason. It's baffling to me that they can't do better than this.

And while I'm ranting... I appreciate that they finally gave us some doors. Know what would have been nice? DOORFRAMES that actually fit them and not ones that stick through the ceiling if you put them on an upper floor! Sheesh!

• hiyde
    hiyde
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What if each *set* had 1 station? i.e. a "Julianos" station and you choose Jewelry, Clothing, BS or Woodworking.
    That would reduce table count by 75% but still have them spread out by set name.

It's a real bummer to have to pull out 12 decorations every time new sets are released. We're also running out of physical space to lay them out, even at Linchal where we start by the front door and wrap all the way behind the house and back. :(
    Edited by hiyde on September 3, 2020 7:41PM
    @Hiyde GM/Founder - Bleakrock Barter Co (Trade Guild - PC/NA) | Blackbriar Barter Co (Trade Guild-PC/NA)
  • Ravensilver
    Ravensilver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've stopped buying the crown store houses, no matter how nice and atmospheric they are, because of the limit. The houses are getting bigger and bigger (Bastion, Thieves's Oasis etc.). But the item slots remain the same.

For the first time since I started with the houses, I blocked off part of one - the Alinor Townhouse - and it felt really strange because I was basically walling away a part of the game that I'd paid for.
    There are so many people in my housing guild that end up blocking off part, or even most of the large houses, just so they can at least furnish the parts that are left over decently.

I refuse to invest real life money into something that I can't use properly.

I still don't understand why it's not possible to divide large houses into seperate instances (Bastion and Thieves' Oasis would have been *perfect* for that!) with 700 slots *each*. The Hall of the Lunar Champion would have been the perfect test object for something like that.

Believe me, ZOS, if you dangled an expansion of item slots, that I can buy with crowns, in front of my nose, you would have had my money faster than you can say 'Euro'. I don't understand why ZOS is so totally against trying to improve this issue... >.>
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . I don't understand why ZOS is so totally against trying to improve this issue... >.>

I'm right there with you on that. It seems like they completely don't care about it and that they are content to keep scamming players with HUGE places that can't be properly furnished. It's truly disheartening and I honestly feel dirty (and no little foolish) every time I cave and buy any kind of house from them, knowing that THEY know they are doing us wrong and absolutely don't care.

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Howdy everyone,

To address some specific questions and concerns:
    • Different categories of furnishings generally have different performance impacts. Special Collectibles are more impactful than Traditional Furnishings, while Collectible Furnishings tend to have less impact than many Traditional Furnishings.
    • We know not everyone is satisfied with the ratio between these furnishing types—these are set to strike a balance between the various needs people have. We could change this ratio, but any improvement to one group would negatively impact another group. We have no plans to adjust the balance between the different caps at this time.
    • The number of guests in a home also impacts performance. At the moment, increasing the population limit would require reducing furnishing limits.

In response to the above, then let the player be able to choose/adjust the settings. If more of X furnishings means less of Y furnishings, and so forth, then give us settings to play with.

And some General Feedback:

-FLAT floors. What good is a carpet if parts of the floor are sticking up through it?
    -dye-able furnishings
    -Less "mess"; the crumbled bits in the corner are NOT "atmosphere" unless they were placed by the player. Please clean that stuff up.

And no, the furnishing limits are not believable, because if they were, most of the game would be unplayable. Any given vendor anywhere in game has lots of little bits and bobs.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • wishlist14
    wishlist14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_CullenLee Thank you for reaching out to the community, it means a lot.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy everyone,

We know that many of you have been hoping that our focus on performance improvements this year would directly result in an increased furnishing cap. We still have a lot of work left on the performance front and when it’s completed, we will reevaluate to see if we can increase the furnishing limits.

Can we get an ETA on that? It's been well over 6 months since your post here. I think hearing back at least twice a year is not unreasonable. Can we also get an update on the possibility of frequently requested features like a day/night toggle, placeable windows (they would basically hang like pictures and you'd need 2 for homes with indoor and outdoor space), adjustable lighting (brighter to darker but mostly BRIGHTER!) and an explanation for why the oft requested separate furnishing caps for indoor and outdoor space, resulting in an overall higher furnishing cap won't work? I'm giving you guys the benefit of the doubt and am going to believe you've actually tested this and have an actual reason for why you won't do it.

Answers to the above would be deeply appreciated. Thank you @ZOS_CullenLee