The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

February 2020 Furnishing Limit Status Update

• evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    While I understand what Rich Lambert is saying about people putting too many items in their houses and thus causing issues, I feel he was answering a different question than the one that was actually asked.
    As I understand it, people weren't asking for the cap to be removed entirely (obviously a recipe for disaster) but simply raised.

We have a PTS. Can't they raise the limit and test it there? If they are seriously worried, they could try raising the limit in increments.
    Housing in this game looks great, I haven't been playing very long but I'm dying to get into it. I'm sure it's worth investing in just for player retention alone, not to mention Crown Store purchases etc.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are lots of great suggestions from others, but let me just say that for me a furniture bag, similar to the craft bag, is sorely needed. I would buy more crown store furnishings if I didn't have to figure out what house to stash them in. It will be a nice centralized way to keeping track of stored furniture too.

Even a bag that held unlimited Crown furnishings would be great!

We've been asking for a furniture bag for years. Also, the ability to deconstruct crafted furniture to recover some of the increasingly expensive materials, as well as removing hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of item signatures from the servers to increase performance. People are reluctant to destroy unused furniture stored across multiple houses, but would be motivated to do so if there were something to potentially gain from it.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point ZOS have made repeatedly is that the cap is set at the level where clients (be they PC or consoles) can cope with it. Unless they close off the game to older hardware, which seems incredibly unlikely, the cap appears to be there to stay. They have also said that they periodically consider whether there's any way to get around the issue. But the issue is that the game needs not to crash for some players the moment they walk into a house.
    Edited by Northwold on May 13, 2023 9:45PM
  • Ruj
    Ruj
    ✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    The point ZOS have made repeatedly is that the cap is set at the level where clients (be they PC or consoles) can cope with it. Unless they close off the game to older hardware, which seems incredibly unlikely, the cap appears to be there to stay. They have also said that they periodically consider whether there's any way to get around the issue. But the issue is that the game needs not to crash for some players the moment they walk into a house.

What is so different between a 700 and 600 slot home?

Antiquarian being only 600 slots is rough. It's such a large area, with both an inside and an outside.

If the game doesn't crash for Moon Sugar Meadow at 700 slots, why would it crash if Antiquarian was given 700 slots?
  • Darkmage1337
    Darkmage1337
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If/when ZOS someday (hopefully, eventually) sunsets support for old last-gen consoles (Xbox One and PS 4), then perhaps sometime thereafterwards ZOS could slightly increase the furniture limit with regard to the superior performance and tech specs of current-gen consoles & PCs. Aside from this, ZOS would likely need to do some serious server tech and programming performance optimization to make any future furniture limit increases, which I hope and wish they will. Someday. :smile:
    ESO Platform/Region: PC/NA. ESO ID: @Darkmage1337
    GM of Absolute Virtue. Co-GM of Absolute Vice. 8-time Former Emperor, out of 13 characters. 3 Templars, 3 Sorcerers, 2 Nightblades, 2 Dragonknights, 1 Warden. 1 Necromancer, and 1 Arcanist. The Ebonheart Pact: The Dark-Mage (Former Emperor), The Undying Nightshade, The Moonlit-Knight, The Killionaire (Former Emperor), Swims-Among-Slaughterfish (Former Emperor), The Undead Mage, and The Dark-Warlock. The Aldmeri Dominion: The Dawn-Bringer (Former Empress), The Ironwood Kid (Former Emperor), and The Storm-Sword. The Daggerfall Covenant: The Storm-Shield (Former Empress), The Savage-Beast, and The Burning-Crusader CP: 1,800.
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    The point ZOS have made repeatedly is that the cap is set at the level where clients (be they PC or consoles) can cope with it..
    They literally said the same thing about new classes, but there you go, have a brand new one.
    A 100 slot more? Nahhhh they can't do that ;)
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
    2: Spellcrafting.
    3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
    4: Summon weapon.
    5: Change the Housing item limit.
    6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
    7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
    8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
    9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
    10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
    11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruj wrote: »

It's a marketing ploy. You want 700 slots? You have to buy the most expensive houses. It's the same reason that non-ESO+ players can only place 350 items in the largest houses. Has absolutely zero to do with performance. Does ESO+ magically make your system perform better?

Clearly there's no performance difference between an empty manor home and an empty large home. In fact, manor homes tend to have a lot more sub-zones with loading screens. So technically, you should be able to place way more than 100 more items in a manor home than a large one.

The furnishing caps are arbitrary numbers put in place to encourage you to pay more to place more.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Ruj wrote: »

It's a marketing ploy. You want 700 slots? You have to buy the most expensive houses. It's the same reason that non-ESO+ players can only place 350 items in the largest houses. Has absolutely zero to do with performance. Does ESO+ magically make your system perform better?

Clearly there's no performance difference between an empty manor home and an empty large home. In fact, manor homes tend to have a lot more sub-zones with loading screens. So technically, you should be able to place way more than 100 more items in a manor home than a large one.

The furnishing caps are arbitrary numbers put in place to encourage you to pay more to place more.

There have been a few posts from players on PS4 having issues logging into their 700 slot homes even when not full so it is a real concern.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Zyva
    Zyva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use empty manors as warehouses for unused furnishings since there is not good way to decon/store them.

Logging into my Lighting warehouse, which is 600/700 lighting furnishings, is rough lol on pc. Most of them will not show any fire or animation.

That said, I have wondered if this is intended when there are too many effects on one place.
    Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zyva wrote: »
    I use empty manors as warehouses for unused furnishings since there is not good way to decon/store them.

Logging into my Lighting warehouse, which is 600/700 lighting furnishings, is rough lol on pc. Most of them will not show any fire or animation.

That said, I have wondered if this is intended when there are too many effects on one place.

I can't see fires in wayshrines in the game world half the time and I'm using an RTX 3070, so I think that may be more of an issue with the engine being a bit patchy with fire effects than a true performance problem. It can be a bit of a problem with some of the more innocuous looking wayshrines; without the flame, you can't actually tell it's supposed to be a wayshrine at all.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Oh, I am certain that there are technical limits, but yes, I expect that only sets the upper bounds.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Legioner995
    Howdy everyone,

One of the most frequent requests we receive in regards to housing is the desire to increase the furnishing cap. While we have touched on this before, we just wanted to reiterate that the upper-most furnishing limits are in place to avoid serious performance issues. While the core design philosophy behind housing is to give you the creative freedom to decorate the way you want to, we have to ensure that it is a stable experience for you and your visitors as well, regardless of anyone’s platform or hardware specifications.

That being said, improving performance is not a magic bullet solution for raising the furnishing cap in houses. “Performance” is a blanket term that encompasses frame rate, stability, memory usage, and other metrics related to how the game runs. Right now, setups that hit the minimum specifications can still struggle with homes that are fully decorated with relatively high impact furnishings.

We know that many of you have been hoping that our focus on performance improvements this year would directly result in an increased furnishing cap. We still have a lot of work left on the performance front and when it’s completed, we will reevaluate to see if we can increase the furnishing limits.

To address some specific questions and concerns:
    • Different categories of furnishings generally have different performance impacts. Special Collectibles are more impactful than Traditional Furnishings, while Collectible Furnishings tend to have less impact than many Traditional Furnishings.
    • We know not everyone is satisfied with the ratio between these furnishing types—these are set to strike a balance between the various needs people have. We could change this ratio, but any improvement to one group would negatively impact another group. We have no plans to adjust the balance between the different caps at this time.
    • The number of guests in a home also impacts performance. At the moment, increasing the population limit would require reducing furnishing limits.
    As always, we continue to strive to improve the housing experience. Moonsugar Meadow, for example, was created after listening to player feedback on the desire for more natural open spaces where you can express your creativity. We are always considering and tinkering with potential new housing features. As soon as we have something to show you, you’ll be the first to know.

Please continue to provide feedback! Letting us know what you like, as well as what you don’t like and why, helps us to improve. For many of us, logging into the forums and seeing your creations is often the best part of our day as your creativity continuously blows us away. The forums are one of many sources of inspiration for us, and request threads always factor into our decisions when adding new furnishings, planning new homes, and prioritizing improvements.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your passion.

I think anytime you guys add new assistance or special / guest character to the game that can be added in your home, I think you do have to adjust the ratio. Same goes for your storage boxes, you keep adding new sets and other items, but storage is not adjusted. You do have to think of all aspects of the game every time you add new chapter and updates to the game.
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this post. Can you look into adding a "Ultimate Attunable station" possibly? My house is filled with crafting stations for all the crafted sets in the game, and if i could infuse all the attunable sets into a single station, that would leave me with a whole lot more decorating room for my house.

Could possibly help with performance too.

Papa bless

EDIT: made this professional illustration to help explain my solution. unknown.png

This comment aged well!

"Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Mystic_wolf479
    Mystic_wolf479
    ✭✭✭
    Why choose for someone else?
    Let the player decide the lag they wanna deal with.
    Put a pay wall in front of unlimited furnishings.
    It could be added to the plus sub for $1 extra.
    That’d be a lot of money to do something so simple.