The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Ritual of Retribution

• Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some ideas for ritual of retribution, since its called retribution, it should have a retribution aspect to it which also fits the theme of a retribution melee paladin type character:

- applying minor maim to enemies inside
    - enemies inside take x% more damage from your attacks
    - while inside the ritual, every time you take damage in crease your weapon damage by x for x up to x stacks
    - The ritual heals you for the damage caused OR while inside the ritual you heal for a portion of the damage you cause
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    revert the change. the healing loss is substantial and the damage gain is negligible. literally a couple hundred dps difference on my 90k pts parse

stamplar healing is already weaker than other classes. crit surge heals for more per tic every second than RoR does every 2 seconds and theres no requirement to stand in its aoe and has a 30 second duration. grim focus and siphoning attacks heal significantly more with no requirement to stand in the aoe, so on and so forth

about the only other class i can see that gets shafted on self heals is maybe stamdk, but even they have their utility.

nobody asked for this change. please revert the dps back to before and give its heal back.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    100% agreement to the majority of votes in this thead.
    This expensive morph now is crippled so badly that
    almost nobody will use this expensive morph anymore.

Moreover, this skill is part of the RESTORING LIGHT skill branch,
    but with the PTS nerf reducing it to damage, there is (almost) NO RESTORING anymore.
    Does this make sense? No. This nerf cripples not only the functionality but also the Templar identity.

Edited by BalticBlues on July 27, 2020 5:40AM
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    I was doing a couple of vMA run yesterday, and thought how much i'll miss RoR since it's a safe zone on the ground that help me sustain incoming damage.
    And I dont want imagine PvP. I struggle enough with the curent state, the next one will be ... Hard i suppose. Even if RoR(PTS) is bad, it might be used for PvE dps because of nothing better (please, do something ?!?) while the ER should be better in PvP (and i play cuasually PvP)

Sometime i just fight people and they can recover full life easily while ... it's really hard as a Stamplar. (my opinion) Spaming Rally and Vigor dosent help 8/10 time. We bearly see any Stamplar in PvP anyway and there is a reason for that
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aznarb wrote: »
    The change is good, an ability should never do dmg and heal at the same time, that always a bad thing balance wise.
    This ability is overloaded since so long it doesn't surprise me it get finally nerf.

That not like this ability was doing
    - purge
    - synergy for everyone like orb
    - heal
    - damage
    - minor mending, thx to passive
    - extremely high radius

What happen now ?
    Morph 1 : You still get everything but healing
    Morph 2 : You still get everything but dmg

The only problem with that list is that you are looking at the skill in isolation. The class lacks elsewhere, like a reliable hp% self-heal or other heal mechanic that doesn't need stat investment.

That's part of the issue with changing the skill, templar simply seems starved of damaging skills AND heals this patch, and they want to make the problem worse?

I would be fine with the change if they actually changed more on the class instead of just handing out nerfs. Right now on live I don't see any reason to use a templar, especially in PvP, over a DK or Magwarden for tank and healing, and I don't see the damage advantage over any other mag class.

The only useful thing about the class is built-in purge, but mag warden gets that for free. And purge is ultimately just a damage reduction mechanic, and that mechanic is still inferior to major protection. So what's the point and where is the advantage?

It's not even really the best healing class, certainly not in PvP unless you use a crappy ult or run in a ball group. Even then you can consistently get higher heals on every other class besides necro, and to top that off it takes no real stat investment of any kind on the other classes. What, then, is the advantage templars even have?

Templars need a rework because they have nerfed the class too hard and removed everything that it was balanced around: major mending, major protection, minor protection with constant uptime, snare on sacred ground, etc. - the class is definitely no where near as powerful as people believe.

But it's okay because eventually templars will get buffed, when ZOS realizes that over 5 skills on the class are mostly garbage in PvP and PvE that aren't worth slots, but are only slotted because there is nothing else and the class actually lacks damage outside a crappy spammable that still has collision issues.

Me? I'll be on my DK until they realize that and forum users like you wake up.

Healing class, inferior to all other classes at healing besides one. Balance.
  • LuxLunae
    LuxLunae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When zos made warden and necro...they destroyed templar over and over again removing it's identity and watering it down to create "newer" classes....

I only use 3 templar skills....out of 10 skills....3 of them....

With this new change it might fall down to one....Jabs.....

and like in Gintama, how shinpachi can be considered his glasses....

Templar can be considered his jabs...

Replace every templar you see with a jab stick...because that's pretty much what it is...

I play stamplar btw...
  • Jesiah5
    Jesiah5
    Soul Shriven
    If I may add my voice to the discussion....As a Templar Healer for 4+ Years I have specialized in helping other players having difficulties completing content whether it be 4-man Dungeons or 12-Man Raids. While I feel I have all the tools necessary to heal anywhere, supporting my party with additional damage where I could has really helped in some encounters. Ritual of Retribution has been essential in fulfilling this role. If this change goes through, it would make helping newer/less experienced players more difficult and much less appealing. Please do NOT go through with this change!

*edit* If there really is an issue with this skill doing damage automatically while healing, make the additional damage or healing conditional on a heavy attack similar to how healers receive Major Mending healing bonus on Restoration Staff Heavy attack, I don't think removing the healing completely is the right move. This way you are rewarding skillful play while mitigating any "free additional damage/healing" anyone may be concerned about.
    Edited by Jesiah5 on July 26, 2020 10:36PM
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At present this skill is important for the Templar toolkit, especially for tanks. Tankplars and stamplars are already at a really bad place, this will make them even worse. I get it, templars were meant to be the healer class, but now Warden or necros can fulfill that role too... Please stop shrinking templars to magplar healers. I tried stamplars and tankplars and honestly their toolkits were extremely limited and not fun to play with. Retribution was one of the skills that made these roles a little viable and now this will be taken away from us.

Please stop the constant nerfs to templars, we literally get them every patch, without significant buffs to even it out. I want to play a more diverse templar, not just a healbot.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LuxLunae wrote: »
    When zos made warden and necro...they destroyed templar over and over again removing it's identity and watering it down to create "newer" classes....

I only use 3 templar skills....out of 10 skills....3 of them....

With this new change it might fall down to one....Jabs.....

and like in Gintama, how shinpachi can be considered his glasses....

Templar can be considered his jabs...

Replace every templar you see with a jab stick...because that's pretty much what it is...

I play stamplar btw...

yeah stamplar just lacks identity...
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try on pts to play my stamplar on pve contents with rally / vigor... and it doesnt make it 6 times out of 10... really hoping Ritual of Retribution changes dont go lives, please revisit and reconcider...
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ritual of retribution got slaughtered as well. Oh, awesome. Seriously, what the actual F. Stop F'ing with all my healing stuff. Stop it right now. :angry:
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    We will see tomorrow the next PTS patch, i hope for news tbh
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, lets be honest, even if its lazy/bad change - it still fair coz its in line of how similar skills of other classes got treated. Similarly to Sweep ult - even tho noone likes casttimes, it was still unfair that templar ult didnt had one while other similar ults got it.
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Well, lets be honest, even if its lazy/bad change - it still fair coz its in line of how similar skills of other classes got treated. Similarly to Sweep ult - even tho noone likes casttimes, it was still unfair that templar ult didnt had one while other similar ults got it.

Problem is, Templar (and Stamplar specifically) is really bad in PvP. If changes have to be made, they shouldn't put a underwelming class even lower, which is what happen. Stamplar (and StamDDs) are not welcome in PvE most of the time either because the meta is only about magicka. I builded a MagDD for that, for flexibility and guess what i made? MagPlar yes! This is off topic but ZOS should considering doing something about the balance between Magicka and Stamina right now (PvE wise, i dont have any opinion about PvP balance between both)
    1. Less healing on a class that is already limited while being the "lighty healer" of the game... And no heal scale on HP (just a shield with only Magicka morph) and many USELESS skill we dont even levelup (I didn't) !
    2. Burst limited and even more complicated with BL and BackLash's changes (PvP mostly. This dosent change PvE that much but we cant really tell or even test because PTS isn't a good area to make PvE test & feedback (latency etc) If i agree that bugs should be fixed (and there is way more annoying in my opinion) this shouldn't be done without considering how it will hurt the class. If something is "meh" with a bug, how it should perform when it's fixed?!? It just make sense to me...
    3. Jab's changes make it weird to use, either slower or have to re-learn to weave with it. I personally dont have a big opinion on it because of latency on PTS (from my experience, my DPS PTS is lower but it's kinda expected with 200+ latency. However, many reported that it was annoying, slower, cluncky...

Personally i wish (and i wont quote all the feedbacks and suggestions here because there is plenty!!! from players with more experience than me)
    1. More Stam Morph for Templar's skill (Focused Charge, Sun Shield?!?)
    2. Rework Eclipse
    3. Reword Passives

I play since 3.5 month or something. I spent, and invest a lot in my first character (Stamplar) and decided to build a MagPlar (Aka BeamPlar) to be able to swap between Mag&Stam to fit the group. If both become useless/underwelming, with low utility (no synergy, self heal, support heal/debuff... unique things that make a class usefull for a group...) they probably will lose a player. It's not a threat, just a fact... I'm aleady half bored because it's really hard to join group trial (aka : need that exp to do that) even with decent to good stats (i cleared vMA deathless around 500 CP after 1.5 month of playing, reach 91.5K dps dumie without a perfected gear. It's not the best, i know. But it's not bad either and everyone know that too)

TLDR : Dont put Templars into a grave ... They should have their place in the game, and should be able to compet VS class, complete other class in groups and so on... Thanks
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koubo wrote: »

Problem is, Templar (and Stamplar specifically) is really bad in PvP. If changes have to be made, they shouldn't put a underwelming class even lower, which is what happen. Stamplar (and StamDDs) are not welcome in PvE most of the time either because the meta is only about magicka. I builded a MagDD for that, for flexibility and guess what i made? MagPlar yes! This is off topic but ZOS should considering doing something about the balance between Magicka and Stamina right now (PvE wise, i dont have any opinion about PvP balance between both)
    1. Less healing on a class that is already limited while being the "lighty healer" of the game... And no heal scale on HP (just a shield with only Magicka morph) and many USELESS skill we dont even levelup (I didn't) !
    2. Burst limited and even more complicated with BL and BackLash's changes (PvP mostly. This dosent change PvE that much but we cant really tell or even test because PTS isn't a good area to make PvE test & feedback (latency etc) If i agree that bugs should be fixed (and there is way more annoying in my opinion) this shouldn't be done without considering how it will hurt the class. If something is "meh" with a bug, how it should perform when it's fixed?!? It just make sense to me...
    3. Jab's changes make it weird to use, either slower or have to re-learn to weave with it. I personally dont have a big opinion on it because of latency on PTS (from my experience, my DPS PTS is lower but it's kinda expected with 200+ latency. However, many reported that it was annoying, slower, cluncky...

Personally i wish (and i wont quote all the feedbacks and suggestions here because there is plenty!!! from players with more experience than me)
    1. More Stam Morph for Templar's skill (Focused Charge, Sun Shield?!?)
    2. Rework Eclipse
    3. Reword Passives

I play since 3.5 month or something. I spent, and invest a lot in my first character (Stamplar) and decided to build a MagPlar (Aka BeamPlar) to be able to swap between Mag&Stam to fit the group. If both become useless/underwelming, with low utility (no synergy, self heal, support heal/debuff... unique things that make a class usefull for a group...) they probably will lose a player. It's not a threat, just a fact... I'm aleady half bored because it's really hard to join group trial (aka : need that exp to do that) even with decent to good stats (i cleared vMA deathless around 500 CP after 1.5 month of playing, reach 91.5K dps dumie without a perfected gear. It's not the best, i know. But it's not bad either and everyone know that too)

TLDR : Dont put Templars into a grave ... They should have their place in the game, and should be able to compet VS class, complete other class in groups and so on... Thanks

I agree and now when skills were fixed it will be especially noticable how much they underperforming and it is perfect opportunity to push for much needed changes. We must focus on it.
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The cast time is irritating but only minor for me (PvE perspective). The Ritual change may look similar when compared, for example, to NB Path, but doesn't account for Templar not having an effective built in HoT elsewhere on par with NB.
    Edited by Altyrann on July 27, 2020 11:13AM
  • Koubo
    Koubo
    ✭✭✭
    Altyrann wrote: »

The cast time is irritating but only minor for me (PvE perspective). The Ritual change may look similar when compared, for example, to NB Path, but doesn't account for Templar not having an effective built in HoT elsewhere on par with NB.

Beside, making all skills from different classes lookalike isn't great for diversity. At this point, why bother with classes?!?
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Beside, making all skills from different classes lookalike isn't great for diversity. At this point, why bother with classes?!?

Diversity shouldn't be at the expense of balance, that's a pretty poor excuse.

Are you talking about Magicka or Stamina? Because Sweeps and PotL are very strong heals while damaging, far stronger than NB self-heals, with the caveat they aren't actual HoTs. For which you can always slot an actual hot like Ritual. Or a burst heal like HotR. You know, options that NBs do not have.

If you're talking about stamina then Leeching Strikes is the only thing they have. Which is superior to current Stamplar admittedly, since Stamplar has nothing.

Edited by Maulkin on July 27, 2020 12:53PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    maxjapank wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

Maybe they aren't NB mains. Maybe they don't feel NBs need buffs. Maybe "buff my class" is not a very solid approach to balancing if the game isn't going to suffer from enormous power creep which is unhelpful to absolutely everyone.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on July 27, 2020 3:32PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Altyrann
    Altyrann
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

Diversity shouldn't be at the expense of balance, that's a pretty poor excuse.

Are you talking about Magicka or Stamina? Because Sweeps and PotL are very strong heals while damaging, far stronger than NB self-heals, with the caveat they aren't actual HoTs. For which you can always slot an actual hot like Ritual. Or a burst heal like HotR. You know, options that NBs do not have.

If you're talking about stamina then Leeching Strikes is the only thing they have. Which is superior to current Stamplar admittedly, since Stamplar has nothing.

I meant specifically heal over time. Passive healing over time is often far preferable to something that needs activating.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »

Maybe they aren't NB mains. Maybe they don't feel NBs need buffs. Maybe "buff my class" is not a very solid approach to balancing if the game isn't going to suffer from enormous power creep which is unhelpful to absolutely everyone.

We didn't pitch in with unnecessary changes. ZOS already made changes to something they saw fit to nerf and we're merely explaining why it made sense, [snip]

The only changes I've pitched in with in this thread, were actually Stamplar buffs. [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on July 27, 2020 3:32PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • Miloscpolski
    Miloscpolski
    ✭✭✭
    This skill Morph losing its heal makes it hard to consider slotting for a Stamplar now.

Despite the fact that it scales with your highest offensive stats it still does only magic damage. It should function similarly to Soul trap which does physical or magic damage based on your highest stats.

I dont think the heal should've been removed completely, a token 50-75% heal reduction compared to the other morph would allow stamplars to potentially trigger the newly updated passive, plus it just seems silly that this massive glowing aura of light....doesn't heal at all, even if it was an insignificant weak heal. I will be probably slotting extended for both pvp and pve now if this morph goes live.

Are you sure this magical pool looks like physical damage? Where did you get the idea that magic effects and skills should be physical?
  • Milli_Rabbit
    Milli_Rabbit
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I rarely used Ritual of Retribution for the heal. I used it for the purge and the passive damage for using my magicka pool that would otherwise be at 100% all of the time. As a Stamplar, like every other Stam class, I use Vigor for heals and Rune Focus for damage reduction in both solo and group play. I do hope they change ritual to physical damage though and make it stronger to counter losing the heal. I also hope they make it something we can aim instead of drop it where we stand. Easier to damage that way.
    Edited by Milli_Rabbit on July 27, 2020 2:42PM
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    This skill Morph losing its heal makes it hard to consider slotting for a Stamplar now.

Despite the fact that it scales with your highest offensive stats it still does only magic damage. It should function similarly to Soul trap which does physical or magic damage based on your highest stats.

I dont think the heal should've been removed completely, a token 50-75% heal reduction compared to the other morph would allow stamplars to potentially trigger the newly updated passive, plus it just seems silly that this massive glowing aura of light....doesn't heal at all, even if it was an insignificant weak heal. I will be probably slotting extended for both pvp and pve now if this morph goes live.

Are you sure this magical pool looks like physical damage? Where did you get the idea that magic effects and skills should be physical?

Please see the abilty soul trap for reference.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove multiple posts for Baiting and Non-Constructive Back and forth. Please ensure when engaging in a discussion that you do so in a civil and constructive manner that is within the rules, even if you disagree with something within the discussion or another user.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the light of upcoming AoE tests theoretically having Retribtuion morph will be even less desirable as possible fixes to aoe spam might result in global cooldown.
  • Miloscpolski
    Miloscpolski
    ✭✭✭

Okay, yes, playing 6 years in teso, I don't know what you think about this ability, this is the same nonsense, I keep in touch
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, yes, playing 6 years in teso, I don't know what you think about this ability, this is the same nonsense, I keep in touch

Many skills appear magical yet do physical damage. The class spammable jabs for instance? This is about balance not what feels more realistic in a magical made up world.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • montiferus
    montiferus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be honest, I rarely used Ritual of Retribution for the heal. I used it for the purge and the passive damage for using my magicka pool that would otherwise be at 100% all of the time. As a Stamplar, like every other Stam class, I use Vigor for heals and Rune Focus for damage reduction in both solo and group play. I do hope they change ritual to physical damage though and make it stronger to counter losing the heal. I also hope they make it something we can aim instead of drop it where we stand. Easier to damage that way.

No end game player consistently slots Vigor (VMA yes but very little 4 man content and certainly not in a trial). There is no way they are ever going to buff the damage to the point when you aren't going to miss the heal. On an 81k parse Ritual accounts for 3.2% of my damage. I don't need the damage boost. Please revert.

6fcgx0onrt4z.jpg

This is fairly typical of ZOS. They make changes to an ability literally nobody asked to alter.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    montiferus wrote: »

No end game player consistently slots Vigor (VMA yes but very little 4 man content and certainly not in a trial). There is no way they are ever going to buff the damage to the point when you aren't going to miss the heal. On an 81k parse Ritual accounts for 3.2% of my damage. I don't need the damage boost. Please revert.

6fcgx0onrt4z.jpg

This is fairly typical of ZOS. They make changes to an ability literally nobody asked to alter.

People have been asking for buffs to Ash Cloud, Path of Darkness, and Lightning Splash using RoR as their point of comparison for a long time. It's a lot easier to nerf one morph than to buff 6.

Also, if RoR is such an insignificant part of your damage and you only use it for the heal, maybe you should just use extended ritual or vigor instead.
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on July 27, 2020 5:58PM