The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Some game crashes are simply being caused by out-of-date addons.

InvitationNotFound
InvitationNotFound
✭✭✭✭✭
In this article @ZOS_GinaBruno claims:
Game Crashes [WORKING ON FIX]
There is a crash we’re currently tracking that appears to occur when attempting to log out of the game.
We’re investigating a number of crashes that appear to be affecting Cyrodiil. We are working on fixing these.
Some game crashes are simply being caused by out-of-date addons.

Not sure if this sounds like "don't use 'out-of-date' addons because they are bad (most of them aren't - in the worst case you get lua errors but not a game crash).
I've never really experienced this in the game before that an addon crashes the game due to a game update (the exception might be when setting the another crown symbol, but that one got fixed).

Furthermore, people crash without any addons regularly in pvp at the moment.
Are addons here just a scapegoat or has anyone an idea what exactly is meant? Is there currently a specific API call causing a game crash?
Edited by InvitationNotFound on February 26, 2020 2:31PM
We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR

Best Answer

• Shinni42
    Shinni42
    ✭✭✭
    How often do such things occur and how many addons were affected? Still sounds like a niche issue.

I'd say that actual crashes (not error messages) caused by changes to the API are really rare. All other instances where calling API functions causes a crash were not introduced in an update and have always existed. At least all examples I can come up with right now.
    Also since many players use their addons also on the PTS, any wide ranging issues should be discovered pretty quickly before it goes to live. So I suppose "niche issue" is a good way to describe it.
    Answer ✓
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a simple yes or no question. Out of date addons can cause crashes, but that doesn't mean all addons will cause crashes or that all crashes are caused by addons.

It's also not consistent from one patch to the next because it depends on what exactly was changed and how it affects each addon - so one addon might cause crashes after one patch but might be fine next time, and a different one which has always been fine before could start causing crashes.

They can also cause less serious bugs, including some really strange ones. A while ago I was skyshard hunting just after a patch and one of the skyshards wasn't there. I looked up guides with screenshots and videos to make sure I had exactly the right spot and I could actually see an empty space just the right size in the middle of a pile of clutter where it should be but the skyshard itself was gone. I really didn't believe people telling me to disable my addons, but it worked - the skyshard reappeared. (And once I'd got it I could enable them again to carry on.)

I think the important point is it's a quick and simple thing players can do themselves which might fix the problem. If your options are being unable to play because the game keeps crashing or disabling one or more addons and then being able to carry on it's worth checking. Especially if it turns out the problem is due to an addon you don't use very often.

My normal approach is to enable all out of date addons and see what happens. Most of the time it's fine, but if there is a problem I disable them again and then enable them one by one to see which one is causing the problem, then when I find it I keep that one off until it's updated. From past experience the only two I really don't like playing without are the mini map and advanced filters, everything else I can live without.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    It's not a simple yes or no question. Out of date addons can cause crashes, but that doesn't mean all addons will cause crashes or that all crashes are caused by addons.

It's also not consistent from one patch to the next because it depends on what exactly was changed and how it affects each addon - so one addon might cause crashes after one patch but might be fine next time, and a different one which has always been fine before could start causing crashes.

They can also cause less serious bugs, including some really strange ones. A while ago I was skyshard hunting just after a patch and one of the skyshards wasn't there. I looked up guides with screenshots and videos to make sure I had exactly the right spot and I could actually see an empty space just the right size in the middle of a pile of clutter where it should be but the skyshard itself was gone. I really didn't believe people telling me to disable my addons, but it worked - the skyshard reappeared. (And once I'd got it I could enable them again to carry on.)

I think the important point is it's a quick and simple thing players can do themselves which might fix the problem. If your options are being unable to play because the game keeps crashing or disabling one or more addons and then being able to carry on it's worth checking. Especially if it turns out the problem is due to an addon you don't use very often.

My normal approach is to enable all out of date addons and see what happens. Most of the time it's fine, but if there is a problem I disable them again and then enable them one by one to see which one is causing the problem, then when I find it I keep that one off until it's updated. From past experience the only two I really don't like playing without are the mini map and advanced filters, everything else I can live without.

I'm sorry, but i completely disagree here if you do not provide further information.

So far, I've only experienced one issue that really could cause the client to crash. That has been fixed (and i doubt it was introduced with a patch and was there from the beginning).
    I write addons myself and use plenty of addons. Not a single ZOS quarterly update so far was able to make my client crash. And never heard or read something like that. Maybe i'm just lucky?

I'm not talking about addons not working properly and spamming LUA errors (or kicking you to the login screen, or endless loop making the client not to respond any more). When i talk about crash i really mean that the client stops working and you are able to submit a report and will have to start the game again as it isn't running anymore.

And neither would it be the addon author's fault as the crashes certainly do occur on ZOS' code.

So please tell me,
    - which past updates forced the client to crash with a certain addon?
    - which API call was responsible?
    - when has it been fixed?

If they claim that outdated addons simply are an issue, they should provide some information so addon authors can have look at it. To my knowledge, this hasn't happened so far.

Unless more evidence is provided that a certain API call is causing old addons to crash, i consider this statement from @ZOS_GinaBruno to be wrong.

We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
  • Shinni42
    Shinni42
    ✭✭✭
    So please tell me,

This is the most recent example from 3 months ago. The Zygor addon caused the game to crash by calling InsecureNext. It was fixed with update 5.2.9 (see bottom of these patch notes)
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502372/pc-mac-patch-notes-v5-2-9
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shinni42 wrote: »
    So please tell me,

This is the most recent example from 3 months ago. The Zygor addon caused the game to crash by calling InsecureNext. It was fixed with update 5.2.9 (see bottom of these patch notes)
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/502372/pc-mac-patch-notes-v5-2-9

@Shinni42
    Well, that's a more useful answer. I mean still not the fault of the addon developer imho. And ZOS should still provide some information on the affected component / API to allow developers to work around.

How often do such things occur and how many addons were affected? Still sounds like a niche issue.

Addons: