Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People without Elsweyr are creating and playing with Necromancers

• zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    zParallaxz wrote: »
    Dojohoda wrote: »
    OUCH That is a sticky mess bug.

On the topic of deleting unauthorized necromancers- (if deleting) Will the inventory on those necros also get deleted?

For that matter, Crown Store purchases?

I mean, players ought to know better than to expect to keep their necromancer if they didnt pay for Elsweyr.
    You’re assuming the majority of those people have in depth knowledge of the crown store and forums. What happens to the guy who thought they made it free because he had eso plus. Now he has the chance of getting his character deleted because there is no communication from the developer that it’s a bug.

no, @ZOS_GinaBruno already stated there will be no deletes

at this point, legitimate players are just hoping for the reasonable action of access to the characters having been locked until they are properly unlocked

Why would you wish that upon other players, how does their ownership of the class prohibit you from playing. You do realize eventually the class will become part of eso plus right.
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Oh, fixing this is going to be ugly. If they delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then those people are going to be pissed. If they don't delete necromancer characters that were created by people who don't own Elsweyr then people who bought Elsweyr primarily for the necromancer class are going to be pissed.

Damn skippy but I can't wait for the " I withdrew 2 million gold on my Necro and you guys deleted it" Threads

Perfectly possible. First thing I do with a new alt is transfer funds across to cover expenses. Maybe not 2 million though 🙃

But yeah, guess we are all laying in the popcorn.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bakermir wrote: »
    What do you mean "bug"?

I just created and invested so much in my necromancer, I assumed this was free with new patch as a feature.

well, hopefully when you pay to unlock access to the class you will be able to continue on with your experience :)
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    Sandman929 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what ZOS does...

Delete the toons and temp ban the accounts. Might seem severe but I'm not a fan of the "my exploiting is ZOS's fault" attitude.
    Yes temp banning players who are returning and havent played the game for awhile and don't know that necromancers are part of paid content. Smart.

Just to confirm, we won't be deleting the characters or banning accounts for this.

locking access to characters for people who have not purchased at the very least?
    or is this going to be another example of you guys telling us that as long as we exploit fast and quiet it will be allowed going forward as it has been in the past?

Stop whining man, your supposed to be supporting your fellow gamer. Not trying to get their character disabled because they got something for free while you paid for it. It’s not the consumers fault, it’s on Zos.

Am not trying to get their character disabled
    am simply trying to find out if the characters have been disabled or not

If they have been disabled, will continue with my subscription and purchasing chapters
    if they have not been disabled, will cancel my subscription and not bother purchasing chapters -- just next time a thread like this goes up, will make sure to jump on using the exploit sooner than posting about it

so if you have any insights in the matter @zParallaxz please do support me as a fellow gamer and let me know if it is safe for me to join the other freebies instead of being gouged by ZOS
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't "accidentally" create a necromancer when you know you don't own Elsweyr.

Actually, you can. If you're a new player, just purchased the base game, and created a character. If nothing in the character selection screen stops you from choosing a necromancer, how are you supposed to know you're not supposed to ?

Not saying all non-Elsweyr necros are created "genuinely", but they can. Fixing this is going to be touchy, like some people already mentioned...
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 12, 2019 10:51PM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jhalin wrote: »
    bluebird wrote: »
    If a store leaves their doors open and you take an item that you didn't pay for, making you put the item back or making you pay for it if you want to keep it isn't a punishment. Going to jail because you're a thief who should have known better than to take stuff you didn't pay for would be punishment.
    If a store leaves their doors open with a sign that says “take one” above an assortment of items, should someone who takes one be convicted of stealing?

It said take one, but didn’t explicitly say “not that one” or “leave a dollar behind”, so who would try to cry foul if someone takes what was implied to be free?

That’s how this “exploit” went down. The game said chose a class, with no indication of exclusions on the ones presented as valid options to the player.
    If one of the items out of that assortment has always been behind a red line with a note 'premium customers only', and the store has posters all over its walls advertising its 'premium customer access' with a very clear inclusion of that item that should otherwise be unavailable, and one day the red line and label is missing and you take the premium item, it's still an exploit.

Even if this is the first time you ever been to that store, and you aren't aware of the usual price of the 'premium access' and that the item is exclusive to that, you still exploited it. And the store gently taking it out of your hands ('oh no, we're sorry but there was a mistake with the labeling, that wasn't for free') when you try to leave with it forever isn't a punishment.

So again, deleting the Necros or locking them down until people pay isn't a punishment. That's just common sense, and the only way this bug would be rectified, because as long as people who didn't pay for Necromancers are allowed to play Necromancers, it's supporting continuous exploitation.
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saelent wrote: »
    Imagine screwing up your own game this badly and then your community tries to insist it’s the players’ fault that through completely ordinary means they got some benefit.

They didn’t go scheming around hacking the game. They didn’t glitch into a wall to go snipe a boss. It was nothing different than usual, they were given the option to create a character, they made a character.

I’m sick and fkin tired of this community trying to lynch players for daring to benefit from something the game hands to them. Meanwhile all the *** show going on with performance and they say “have you called your ISP? Is your PC a potato?”

Well I’m sick a ‘fkin’ tired of people trying to use the excuse of ‘this game is bugged anyway’ to keep whatever they got by illegitimate means. What if I got the PTS gold? Would I want to keep it? Hell yes, but would I expect it to be removed? HELL YES.
    But hey, it’s a bug and this game is bugged? But I’d bet you’d be one of the people complaining if I had a free 1000k in my inventory.

Why would I care? A million gold isn’t hard to make, on top of that, there’s nothing to use that gold on I couldn’t get myself. The same is true for anyone.

It’s funny you think I’d give crap about fake currency that has almost no use at max level. I didn’t when people got dozens of CP from IC, which is far less impactful than being able to make a new character. I don’t care that people got to make a necromancer without having to pay for a bogus chapter with less content than even Wrothgar offered. I’m happy for those players that can try out the new class without being ripped off.

Yes, 1 million gold, I didn’t word that right did I...I actually meant ‘one thousand million’ depending where you’re looking at it from its ‘one trillion’ which I bet you’d care just a little about since it would take a lot longer to make.

Now, you might not care about this game getting the support for the items it sells, but I find it interesting that you care enough that these people still get to ‘try it out’. I suspect that you’re no longer playing this game, not having paid for anything anyway, which makes me question, that if what happens to or supports this game is of no matter to you, why are you haunting the forums, little ghost?

I log in to do a daily, check if guildies need help, if they don’t I leave, because there is nothing to do in this game anymore. I’ve played every class, done every role, finished every trial, completed literally every single quest in the game.

And no, I still wouldn’t care if you had 100 million gold, I wouldn’t care if you have 100 billion gold. The amount is meaningless. I’ve bought every DLC, bought the chapters, and I regret giving ZOS a dime. They prove time and time again they have absolutely no priority on bugs unless it’s beneficial to players.

Anything else? Meh, why not make us wait another 6 months, then maybe they’ll try to fix it.

That’s how I know you’ve played the game for a while. They can fix a bug like this in less than a week but it takes a couple months to fix the stuck in combat bug right? That’s why I don’t care now that the players got a freebie from their own mistake, serves them right.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SIGH. Just come to a place of acceptance. Nothing will happen. Buy or don’t buy, there are plenty of cat-lovers out there for Zos to cover expenses.

What I want? Character is grayed out until the chapter is unlocked on account.

What I will get? Rueful chagrin and less guilt toward how I treat Zos.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine screwing up your own game this badly and then your community tries to insist it’s the players’ fault that through completely ordinary means they got some benefit.

They didn’t go scheming around hacking the game. They didn’t glitch into a wall to go snipe a boss. It was nothing different than usual, they were given the option to create a character, they made a character.

I’m sick and fkin tired of this community trying to lynch players for daring to benefit from something the game hands to them. Meanwhile all the *** show going on with performance and they say “have you called your ISP? Is your PC a potato?”

Well I’m sick a ‘fkin’ tired of people trying to use the excuse of ‘this game is bugged anyway’ to keep whatever they got by illegitimate means. What if I got the PTS gold? Would I want to keep it? Hell yes, but would I expect it to be removed? HELL YES.
    But hey, it’s a bug and this game is bugged? But I’d bet you’d be one of the people complaining if I had a free 1000k in my inventory.

Why would I care? A million gold isn’t hard to make, on top of that, there’s nothing to use that gold on I couldn’t get myself. The same is true for anyone.

It’s funny you think I’d give crap about fake currency that has almost no use at max level. I didn’t when people got dozens of CP from IC, which is far less impactful than being able to make a new character. I don’t care that people got to make a necromancer without having to pay for a bogus chapter with less content than even Wrothgar offered. I’m happy for those players that can try out the new class without being ripped off.

Yes, 1 million gold, I didn’t word that right did I...I actually meant ‘one thousand million’ depending where you’re looking at it from its ‘one trillion’ which I bet you’d care just a little about since it would take a lot longer to make.

Now, you might not care about this game getting the support for the items it sells, but I find it interesting that you care enough that these people still get to ‘try it out’. I suspect that you’re no longer playing this game, not having paid for anything anyway, which makes me question, that if what happens to or supports this game is of no matter to you, why are you haunting the forums, little ghost?

I log in to do a daily, check if guildies need help, if they don’t I leave, because there is nothing to do in this game anymore. I’ve played every class, done every role, finished every trial, completed literally every single quest in the game.

And no, I still wouldn’t care if you had 100 million gold, I wouldn’t care if you have 100 billion gold. The amount is meaningless. I’ve bought every DLC, bought the chapters, and I regret giving ZOS a dime. They prove time and time again they have absolutely no priority on bugs unless it’s beneficial to players.

Anything else? Meh, why not make us wait another 6 months, then maybe they’ll try to fix it.

That’s how I know you’ve played the game for a while. They can fix a bug like this in less than a week but it takes a couple months to fix the stuck in combat bug right? That’s why I don’t care now that the players got a freebie from their own mistake, serves them right.

You can also click his name and find out that he has been here since January 2016
    just as you have been here since October 2017
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If a store leaves their doors open and you take an item that you didn't pay for, making you put the item back or making you pay for it if you want to keep it isn't a punishment. Going to jail because you're a thief who should have known better than to take stuff you didn't pay for would be punishment.
    If a store leaves their doors open with a sign that says “take one” above an assortment of items, should someone who takes one be convicted of stealing?

It said take one, but didn’t explicitly say “not that one” or “leave a dollar behind”, so who would try to cry foul if someone takes what was implied to be free?

That’s how this “exploit” went down. The game said chose a class, with no indication of exclusions on the ones presented as valid options to the player.
    If one of the items out of that assortment has always been behind a red line with a note 'premium customers only', and the store has posters all over its walls advertising its 'premium customer access' with a very clear inclusion of that item that should otherwise be unavailable, and one day the red line and label is missing and you take the premium item, it's still an exploit.

Even if this is the first time you ever been to that store, and you aren't aware of the usual price of the 'premium access' and that the item is exclusive to that, you still exploited it. And the store gently taking it out of your hands ('oh no, we're sorry but there was a mistake with the labeling, that wasn't for free') when you try to leave with it forever isn't a punishment.

So again, deleting the Necros or locking them down until people pay isn't a punishment. That's just common sense, and the only way this bug would be rectified, because as long as people who didn't pay for Necromancers are allowed to play Necromancers, it's supporting continuous exploitation.

If that was how it happened, you might have a point, but there was no red tape. There were no “V.I.P. only” signs. It was not set away from the others tucked away in the back.

There was absolutely zero indication necromancer was any different than the rest.
    Edited by Jhalin on August 12, 2019 10:57PM
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orjix wrote: »
    sorry, but if it is a mistake on ZOSs end the players should NOT be punish, and should be allowed to keep their toons. If the game had the function "bug" whatever in it players should not be punished for using it. Yes, I own elsweyr,
    All exploits are a mistake on game devs' end... because some overlooked aspect of the game allows for unusual behaviors that weren't intended to work that way. That still doesn't make exploiting okay.

Banning players for using an exploit = punishment.
    Removing the items/currency/classes people gained through an exploit = rectifying a bug. It's not a punishment.
    Locking the items/currency/classes people gained through an exploit until they pay = also not a punishment.

Don’t ever make comparisons of morality between a game and real life. By your same logic you should role play a monk or do you kill animals and people with the same ferocity you do in game?
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also click his name and find out that he has been here since January 2016

But you probably didn’t know I’ve been on the game since late 2014 but only made a forum account in 2017 after all the performance issues so I could voice my opinion.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry, but if it is a mistake on ZOSs end the players should NOT be punish, and should be allowed to keep their toons. If the game had the function "bug" whatever in it players should not be punished for using it. Yes, I own elsweyr,
    All exploits are a mistake on game devs' end... because some overlooked aspect of the game allows for unusual behaviors that weren't intended to work that way. That still doesn't make exploiting okay.

Removing the items/currency/classes people gained through an exploit = rectifying a bug. It's not a punishment.
    Locking the items/currency/classes people gained through an exploit until they pay = also not a punishment.

Don’t ever make comparisons of morality between a game and real life. By your same logic you should role play a monk or do you kill animals and people with the same ferocity you do in game?

Extra extra read all about it! Using metaphors, analogies or even a common frame of reference is going to be needled to death by someone on the internet!
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But you probably didn’t know I’ve been on the game since late 2014 but only made a forum account in 2017 after all the performance issues so I could voice my opinion.

Damn,
    kind of envy you
    was already having performance issues in 2014 and 2015
    wish my own did not start until 2017 like yours
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If that was how it happened, you might have a point, but there was no red tape. There were no “V.I.P. only” signs. It was not set away from the others tucked away in the back.

There was absolutely zero indication necromancer was any different than the rest.

He forgot to mention that with his store analogy, in the U.S you have to sell at the price that’s labeled at that time. There is no “oh I’m sorry that product was mislabeled we can’t allow you to purchase that”. If that product says free-99 with their company logo, guess what I’m walking out the store with after I check it out at the cash register...
    Edited by zParallaxz on August 12, 2019 11:46PM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If that was how it happened, you might have a point, but the was no red tape. There were no “V.I.P. only” signs. It was not set away from the others tucked away in the back.

That is how it happened. Every single day ever since Elsweyr came out. Necros required Elsweyr. Even earlier since it was announced, Necros have always been described as requiring Elsweyr. Nothing since, no Scalebreaker announcement, no patch note, nothing at all indicated that Necros should be available to people without Elsweyr. The Elsweyr description in the Crown Store still very clearly said that Necromancers are a feature of Elsweyr.

So even if you one day see no red tape because somebody removed it, almost everybody still knew it was not intended for everyone to have Necromancers. And as I said, if for some reason this is the first time a noob tried to make a new character and has no idea about Elsweyr and Necros, that still doesn't mean it's not an exploit. Ignorance doesn't absolve you from a crime, the same way pleading ignorance doesn't mean you didn't exploit a bug that shouldn't have been there.

Locking the created Necros until you pay for them isn't a punishment. The same way the cashier might stop you and say 'oh, that's not actually free, that was a brief issue with the sign, you can of course keep it if you pay for it' isn't punishment. It's common sense. Since the bug was about not-Elsweyr-owners having access to the Necromancer class, letting not-Elsweyr-owners have continued access to the Necromancer class maintains the bug instead of fixing it.
    Edited by bluebird on August 12, 2019 11:13PM
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

I just created and invested so much in my necromancer, I assumed this was free with new patch as a feature.

well, hopefully when you pay to unlock access to the class you will be able to continue on with your experience :)

Delete the toons and temp ban the accounts. Might seem severe but I'm not a fan of the "my exploiting is ZOS's fault" attitude.
    Yes temp banning players who are returning and havent played the game for awhile and don't know that necromancers are part of paid content. Smart.

Just to confirm, we won't be deleting the characters or banning accounts for this.

locking access to characters for people who have not purchased at the very least?
    or is this going to be another example of you guys telling us that as long as we exploit fast and quiet it will be allowed going forward as it has been in the past?

Stop whining man, your supposed to be supporting your fellow gamer. Not trying to get their character disabled because they got something for free while you paid for it. It’s not the consumers fault, it’s on Zos.

If they have been disabled, will continue with my subscription and purchasing chapters
    if they have not been disabled, will cancel my subscription and not bother purchasing chapters -- just next time a thread like this goes up, will make sure to jump on using the exploit sooner than posting about it

so if you have any insights in the matter @zParallaxz please do support me as a fellow gamer and let me know if it is safe for me to join the other freebies instead of being gouged by ZOS

Yes... The only thing you can do is move past it and unsub. You forget people were mad when Zos made chapters apart of eso plus after the dlc has been out for a while.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's not a comparison of morality, I was pointing out the difference between a punitive measure and a non-punitive measure.You couldn't access Necros before the bug, you can't access Necros after the bug - that's not a punishment. Nothing punishing happened to you.

He forgot to mention that with his store analogy, in the U.S you have to sell at the price that’s labeled at that time. There is no oh I’m sorry that product was mislabeled we can’t allow you to purchase that. If that product says free-99 with their company logo, guess what I’m walking out the store with after I check it out the cash register...
    *Sigh* One would think people are allowed to refer to an analogy even if it doesn't match up completely. US store policies have nothing to do with exploits. If game companies intended exploiters to get away with it, they wouldn't put it in their TOS that exploiting is wrong; they'd just say 'hey, if you find a bug, you have every right to exploit it because that's how US stores work'.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprised it's still going. ZOS said essentially that they're fine with it, so that makes it a gift not an exploit and the selective rule enforcement continues.
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

Extra extra read all about it! Using metaphors, analogies or even a common frame of reference is going to be needled to death by someone on the internet!

You can use analogies as long as they hold reasonable logic. Case in point, just because a in game crown store messed up on the developer side doesn’t equate to a real life store messing up with a price. Funnily enough, it U.S law to sell an item for what it was advertised, regardless of typos or mistakes.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If that was how it happened, you might have a point, but the was no red tape. There were no “V.I.P. only” signs. It was not set away from the others tucked away in the back.

That is how it happened. Every single day ever since Elsweyr came out. Necros required Elsweyr. Even earlier since it was announced, Necros ahve always been described as requiring Elsweyr. Nothing since, no Scalebreaker announcement, no path note, nothing at all indicated that Necros should be available to people without Elsweyr. The Elsweyr description in the Crown Store still very clearly said that Necromancers are a feature of Elsweyr.

So even if you one day see no red tape because somebody removed it, almost everybody still knew it was not intended for everyone to have Necromancers. And as I said, if for some reason this is the first time a noob tried to make a new character and has no idea about Elsweyr and Necros, that still doesn't mean it's not an exploit. Ignorance doesn't absolve you from a crime, the same way pleading ignorance doesn't mean you didn't exploit a bug that shouldn't have been there.

Locking the created Necros until you pay for them isn't a punishment. The same way the cashier might stop you and say 'oh, that's not actually free, that was a brief issue with the sign, you can of course keep it if you pay for it' isn't punishment. It's common sense. Since the bug was about not-Elsweyr-owners having access to the Necromancer class, letting not-Elsweyr-owners have continued access to the Necromancer class maintains the bug instead of fixing it.

As already mentioned above, if the sign says free, the customer is entitled to get it for free. You can’t actually tell them no.

If there was no indication in-game in the character creator, then it doesn’t matter what was shared outside the game. A digital magazine might have a higher price, the customer still gets the shelf price. Some person on Facebook might say that they bought it for half the price, the customer still gets the shelf price, unless your store price matches, which isn’t an obligation.

ESO+ trial was a change that could’ve changed the status of Necro, a new player may not even know what anything is besides the fact that they like the sound of Necromancer, a veteran player might see that they can make a Necro and laugh it off as a visual bug as they hit “confirm” only to be surprised that it changed recently to let them use it, or maybe someone does know they’re not supposed to have a necro.

They all did the exact same thing, made a character with a class that was available to them in the character creator.
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a comparison of morality, I was pointing out the difference between a punitive measure and a non-punitive measure.You couldn't access Necros before the bug, you can't access Necros after the bug - that's not a punishment. Nothing punishing happened to you.

He forgot to mention that with his store analogy, in the U.S you have to sell at the price that’s labeled at that time. There is no oh I’m sorry that product was mislabeled we can’t allow you to purchase that. If that product says free-99 with their company logo, guess what I’m walking out the store with after I check it out the cash register...
    *Sigh* One would think people are allowed to refer to an analogy even if it doesn't match up completely. US store policies have nothing to do with exploits. If game companies intended exploiters to get away with it, they wouldn't put it in their TOS that exploiting is wrong; they'd just say 'hey, if you find a bug, you have every right to exploit it because that's how US stores work'.

The problem with your analogy is that it was contradictory. You attempted to compare a virtual cash shop to a physical store in terms of products being mislabeled or misidentified. While both are “stores” one version is subject to how the company “feels” at that moment while the other is subjected to U.S law. Even funnier your ascertaining with absolute knowledge that this is an exploit, when this whole issue is subjected to opinion. I don’t think it’s an exploit and my opinion doesn’t make me any more right or wrong to your opinion of this being an exploit.
    Edited by zParallaxz on August 12, 2019 11:24PM
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised it's still going. ZOS said essentially that they're fine with it, so that makes it a gift not an exploit and the selective rule enforcement continues.
    They said they're not planning on deleting the characters and banning accounts.

They didn't specify whether they would lock the characters until they are unlocked through legitimate means.

So @ZOS_GinaBruno o or @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can we get a confirmation or update about your plans?
    • 1) Are you planning on letting non-Elsweyr accounts keep playing their Necromancer characters that they shouldn't have access to? If yes, why?
    • 2) Are you planning on not deleting the Necromancer characters, but making them require an Elsweyr purchase before non-Elsweyr accounts can keep playing them?
    • 3) Something else?
    Obviously Number 1) would set a terrible precedent regarding exploits, as it would encourage people to exploit everything early and often if that leads to the optimum solution. It would be also be unfair to TOS-abiding gamers who willingly chose to play by the rules instead of exploiting, and would ecnourage them to be bold and frequent exploiters in the future. It also devalues the legitimate Elsweyr purchases that people made, and trivializes the TOS.

Option Number 2) may be harder to implement that turning a blind eye, but you're able to restrict Crafting Bag access to people whose ESO+ sub runs out, so perhaps a similar system could be implemented for logging into non-Elsweyr Necro characters since the bugged acces was 'fixed'.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

So you personally made a non-Elsweyr Necromancer, and can verify it is still playable after the hotfix?

Just don't want to wait to unlock a freebie version of Class or Weapon line or whatever ZOS wants to charge me for in 2020
    only to find out that they blocked Necromancers now and are simply doing the same thing over again
    QQ
    Edited by Samadhi on August 12, 2019 11:27PM
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair I would have a different view if the player had to do a combination of buttons and strategic logouts. But to my delight, it was a simple as playing the game the way it was meant to be played.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »
    I would not consider this an exploit.

I can create a Warden now on my account. Yet I never purchased Morrowind or purchased the skill line from the crown store. ...

May have missed it, but did ZOS add Warden to the main game
    or is this your way of saying that the bug extends to both of the purchasable classes?

Warden is still showing as a purchased Class upgrade when viewing the Crown Shop from here

I think it may have been an addition to me pre-ordering Summerset. But I'm not really sure how I got access to it to be honest. Who knows, it might be a bug also.

FAQ seems to still list Warden as not being covered with ESO Plus, and does not mention Summerset
    The Warden class is available for Crowns in the in-game Crown Store and is not included with your ESO Plus membership. You can find the Warden under Upgrades in the Class section.
    https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42053/~/do-i-get-the-warden-class-if-i-have-eso-plus?

but it has not been updated since February, so @ZOS_GinaBruno may want to have the team look into either updating the FAQ or checking if Warden is not facing the same bug as Necromancer

I've had access to Warden for many months now so I don't think it had anything to do with the current issue regarding necromancer. I think it was added to the Summerset package. But this exchange between you and I certainly makes the point that classes become available to players on this game through a variety of means. So for a player to assume that may have been what happened here isn't at all unreasonable.

And for a player to have that access locked if it was not validly applied to their account to begin with is not unreasonable either

if the unlock circumstances for Warden have changed and you legitimately unlocked the Class, the issue is simply ZOS and their lack of effective communication in updating things like the FAQ

if you have not legitimately unlocked the class, then you should lose further access to that content until you properly unlock said content

or, alternatively, ZOS should make it free access for everyone so that your access of it is, by its nature, no longer an exploit

I never said that was unreasonable. But treating it like an exploit is. And I believe our exchange has made that abundantly clear - as even you were unaware warden was unlocked through other means than buying it directly from the crown store or purchasing Morrowind. So how should other players be expected to know these things?

It was an exploit by definition tho, hence ZOS acting to hotfix it out

you can fairly argue whether or not it should be treated as one, do not personally care about that angle, ZOS has already come down as saying they won't penalize accounts for it, so it is not worth my energy to try and claim they should

you already seem to agree with me that the treatment of this issue on a case by case basis is that it is reasonable to lock access to the characters until they are properly unlocked tho
    this would not be an act of penalization tho, players could still buy the upgrade and resume play

I think where we differ is you believe an exploit can be unintentional where as I believe for something to be legitimately considered an exploit it needs to be intentional.

In other words: I don't believe someone who simply creates a necromancer because the option becomes available to them is exploiting. The person in question would have to know it was a bug in order to exploit it - and it's not at all clear to me these players knew that. I certainly wouldn't have known it to be honest, and would have likely thought the class had just become available due to some change that was made - much the same way warden became available to me. That's all I'm saying.

But yeah, so long as ZoS doesn't punish or ban these players we agree their reactions are "reasonable" - even though it might not have been the way I personally would have handled it.
  • LiquidPony
    LiquidPony
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

On the topic of deleting unauthorized necromancers- (if deleting) Will the inventory on those necros also get deleted?

I mean, players ought to know better than to expect to keep their necromancer if they didnt pay for Elsweyr.
    You’re assuming the majority of those people have in depth knowledge of the crown store and forums. What happens to the guy who thought they made it free because he had eso plus. Now he has the chance of getting his character deleted because there is no communication from the developer that it’s a bug.

at this point, legitimate players are just hoping for the reasonable action of access to the characters having been locked until they are properly unlocked

Speak for yourself.

I could not possibly care less. Stop worrying so much about what other people do or don't have. It's not healthy.
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean "bug"?

So you personally made a non-Elsweyr Necromancer, and can verify it is still playable after the hotfix?

Just don't want to wait to unlock a freebie version of Class or Weapon line or whatever ZOS wants to charge me for in 2020
    only to find out that they blocked Necromancers now and are simply doing the same thing over again
    QQ

That’s the irony of a TOS, Zos does how they please at any given moment. As of right now, Zos Gina said they had no plans to lock or disable the characters. But who knows maybe if enough people complain, write a letter to Zenimax Studios, unsub, don’t log in the game, then maybe just maybe Zos would momentarily think if they should revisit the idea of locking the characters. Once they’ve reached a common consensus, expect the revision to be made in the next patch 3-8 months from now. That’s the process players go through in order to do something as simple as mount when not in combat, sprint without being stuck, or improve game performance.
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As already mentioned above, if the sign says free, the customer is entitled to get it for free. You can’t actually tell them no.
    That excuse would work for any exploit, and therefore doesn't work for any exploit. Just because a temporary bug in the game allowed some players to do something that was never intended, and they never should have been able to do, and the company reinforces this fact by pointing out that this is an issue and they're working on fixing it, doesn't mean people are entitled to the spoils of the exploit.
    Even funnier your ascertaining with absolute knowledge that this is an exploit, when this whole issue is subjected to opinion. I don’t think it’s an exploit and my opinion doesn’t make me any more right or wrong to your opinion of this being an exploit.
    'You agree not to access, receive, play or use any Service to:

Promote, upload, transmit, encourage or take part in any activity involving hacking, cracking, phishing, taking advantage of exploits or cheats and/or distribution of counterfeit software and/or Virtual Currency or virtual items. In an effort to continuously improve the Services, You and other players discovering exploits, cheats, cracks or other inconsistencies are required to report them to ZeniMax; '

It's not an opinion, it's against the TOS. The fact that they were aware of this issue and were working on fixing it, and they have now hotfixed it so this inconsistency and obvious exploit isn't available any more because it was never intended proves that it's an exploit that players took part in - knowingly or not.

• zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LiquidPony wrote: »

Speak for yourself.

I could not possibly care less. Stop worrying so much about what other people do or don't have. It's not healthy.

He’s doing the same thing modern media does. Claim to be speaking for a large righteous (insert other adjective) group when in actuality it’s his own opinion with who some people might agree with.
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its the coldharbor house fiasco all over again, login early enough to exploit something and you get it for free thats fantastic