Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

People without Elsweyr are creating and playing with Necromancers

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    J2JMC wrote: »
    You know I made a snarky comment earlier about how quick ZOS responded to what I thought was a harmless bug, but clearly I was wrong. Ya'll out here in full force trying to get the new characters locked lmao. Clearly this is a game breaking bug, and I'm glad ZOS made sure it was handled before it got out of control and ruined everything.

It was game-breaking - the game was broken giving people access to content they didn't pay for - so fortunately ZOS fixed it quickly.

Now it's just the cleanup.

Its not gamebreaking to have a few more necromancers running around. I can admit that.

But it's...I'm going to go with "annoying" as my word choice here...to see that once again the people who quickly benefited from the bug get to keep rewards they didn't properly pay for.
    Edited by VaranisArano on August 12, 2019 7:16PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Azorean wrote: »
    Probably they won't delete the chars but will lock them until you have Elsweyr Chapter in your account.
    Actually you're right, that might be the best way to handle it.
    Agreed, this would be the logical solution. Necromancer is likely considered a separate "upgrade" to Elsweyr in the same way that Warden is separate from Morrowind, so it should be technically easy to lock off access to a Necro character if the Necro upgrade is not attached to that account.

Since this was fixed fast, it isn't really a grand problem. They can easily sacrifice some 2020 revenue, let those players have it for free, and garner some good will, all by just letting it go. It's fixed, and that is really the important thing.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, the important thing is that we once again learn that if there's a bug we have to exploit it and we have to exploit it really frigging fast.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This smells like a "free month (or 2) worth of crowns" moment to me.

Jus sayin
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they don’t delete anyone’s necromancer much less punish the player. As a new player, it is sometimes unclear to me how things should work, what a I should be able to do but haven’t figured out, etc., etc. To be clear, I have Elsweyr and ESO+ so this doesn’t effect me and I wouldn’t care if players without Elsweyr got to keep their necros. I do think the most fair solution would be to give those players the option to 1) class change or 2) empty inventory and delete the necro or 3) buy Elsweyr and keep the character.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably they won't delete the chars but will lock them until you have Elsweyr Chapter in your account.
    Agreed, this would be the logical solution. Necromancer is likely considered a separate "upgrade" to Elsweyr in the same way that Warden is separate from Morrowind, so it should be technically easy to lock off access to a Necro character if the Necro upgrade is not attached to that account.

Since this was fixed fast, it isn't really a grand problem. They can easily sacrifice some 2020 revenue, let those players have it for free, and garner some good will, all by just letting it go. It's fixed, and that is really the important thing.

It’s easy to garner goodwill from “exploiters”(knowing or not) but keeping good will with your loyal customers is something Zos continually fails
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately that won't garner goodwill with those who bought Elsweyr for the necromancer and didn't know about today's bug in time to take advantage of it.

The only effective and fair resolution now the bug has been fixed is to lock affected characters, leaving players with the choice of deleting the character or buying Elsweyr.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    No, the important thing is that we once again learn that if there's a bug we have to exploit it and we have to exploit it really frigging fast.

am waiting for word from @Azorean or anyone else as to whether access to these characters has been locked or not
    but if they are not locked, am cancelling my subscription this month and just moving over to the side of the exploiters going forward

have not even done a single quest in Elsweyr aside from the laggy tutorial making my first Necromancer
    only really bought the update for the Class, and now found out that a bit of patience could have possibly gotten me the Class for free
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. ZOS you really should lock the characters if people don’t have Elswyr. Good call not deleting the characters but still they need to be locked.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »

It’s easy to garner goodwill from “exploiters”(knowing or not) but keeping good will with your loyal customers is something Zos continually fails

This does not bother me. I did not take advantage of it, and don't consider this some effront to my sensibilities as an Elsweyr owner. This game is now all about how to bypass normal game play. This just bypassed a future Crown Store upgrade, rather than costing us Crowns. The only real issue was whether ZOS held enough value for those lost Crowns to do more than just fix it.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Letting exploiters keep things they earned through exploits doesn't garner any good will. It results in a loss of good will for 90%+ of the customers, who either paid for the unlock through legitimate means, or who didn't buy it and are frustrated about being too slow to exploit when clearly that's the right thing to do, looking at the results.

ZOS have some of the worst track records in any game ever for handling exploits. When SWTOR discovered that a furnishing item was accidentally free, they added it for free permanently so it's not an exploit and everybody gets the benefit (though they didn't sell that chair previously for real money to many others so it's slightly different). When WOW discovered that players obtained items through an exploit, they removed the items (and often temporarily banned the players who should have known better). If ZOS discover that people are getting a house for 1 gold, an Indrik for 1 berry, and a whole class for free while it costs $30 for everybody else, they just let people keep the exploited items and do nothing about it? WTF.
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bug or they're being a tease like free eos+, maybe elswyr wasn't as fruitful as they'd hoped
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1*vgtctpM5BBJIhDqHBR90Mw.png

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Respect4Elders
    Respect4Elders
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS does not tolerate necsploitation. Proceed with the bans!
  • cherryskary
    cherryskary
    ✭✭✭
    Some people *only* bought Elsweyr for the necro class and want nothing to do with the rest of the chapter. That means that some people paid $30 for something that other players are getting to keep for free even though it was obtained illegally, known or not.

I don't care if people who exploit bugs get upset, and ZoS shouldn't either. If it's not going to have any consequences then why have it in the ToS?

Sure, ZoS might not care about that lost revenue, but the people who work hard for their money and are selective about where to spend it sure as heck care.

Lock the characters and let them decide to pay for it or delete it. That honestly is going to avoid any "I didn't know" and satisfy the people who already paid in the same way, and those who did know won't be rewarded for breaking the rules.
  • BennyButton
    BennyButton
    ✭✭✭✭
    clearly it is on the burden of the player to go to the forums after every patch to read the patch notes (this is sarcasm). this is probably zos's way of combating the pay to win argument since necros are OP and they keep buffing them
  • GallantGuardian
    GallantGuardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I had bought the chapter for the necromancer class alone I would be plenty angry right now

I bought Morrowind just for the warden class and I’m not happy how that turned out

Honestly I might not continue buying chapters and just wait for the exploit if it’s considered ok

Luckily this time I only wanted to fight dragons for this chapter

• quadraxis666
    quadraxis666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daaaamn mods all over this post! devs all over this bug! funny how that works, when its a bug that hurts the money....
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they do end up locking the ‘illegitimate Necromancer characters’ then I hope it doesn’t bounce to hurting those of us who did pay, either separately (is it even available separately on CS yet?) or by buying Elsweyr.
    Personally, as someone who did buy Elsweyr, I feel mean for saying it, but I would rather that the necromancers created because of this bug were locked until they buy the class or expansion.
  • Drako_Ei
    Drako_Ei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will ban whoever created a necromancer and call it a night :trollface:
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would suppose that many of those who did this knew FULL WELL what they were doing & that it was an exploit. And so they knowingly took the risk to exploit the game, and so should reap the consequences.

Character deletion at the very least.
  • Azorean
    Azorean
    ✭✭✭

I disagree. You shouldn't benefit bad behaviors. This was a bug exploit.
    Yes, many didn't know especially new players but trust me a lot of them did know what they were doing.
    And they can keep their character without problems, we are saying a class, this could be a house, gear, gold and I clearly see for next time is better to exploit then warn the forums, because clearly there is no downsize of exploiting bug in this game.
  • bakermir
    bakermir
    ✭✭✭
    I assumed this was free with the patch.

I am sure most of us thought of that. What will happen to our efforts? Why should we get banned for playing the game?

All the people trying to lynch us need to calm down. This thread should be closed as I can see bunch of smurf accounts and specific posters trolling repeatedly on every page.

ZOS already said they have hotfixed it.
    EU PC SOTHA SIL/BAHLOKDAAN
    • DC * imperial stamdk/emperor magdk * twitch-bakermir
    • DC * breton magsorc * twitch bakermir
    • DC * orcerer * Tyro Tyro Tyro Tyro
    • DC * altmer bomblade * Brings-you-democracy

<REMOVE FACTION LOCK>
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    bakermir wrote: »

I am sure most of us thought of that. What will happen to our efforts? Why should we get banned for playing the game?

All the people trying to lynch us need to calm down. This thread should be closed as I can see bunch of smurf accounts and specific posters trolling repeatedly on every page.

Incredibly few posts are calling for bans. Many are however calling for character deletions or lockdowns. Surely you can see the difference. ZOS allowing people who exploited it ('I didn't know it was an exploit' doesn't mean it shouldn't be treated as an exploit btw) to keep the characrers did not 'fix' the problem at all.

Accounts who didn't buy Elsweyr accidentally got access to Necromancers for a few hours. If these accounts continue to have access to these Necromancers after these few hours despite still not having bought Elsweyr, that would be to continually allow exploitation. That's why these buggedly-aquired Necros need to be deleted or locked down.
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They got fixed it for the problem getting worse, but not for people continuing to use the class that wasn’t paid for. It wasn’t free and many people did spend money on it, while I feel for the time you spent levelling this character, I would still prefer that until you buy the required expansion or the class specific CS add on, that you don’t get to continue using that character. Locking it, not banning the account and preventing you from playing at all of course.

Also, to add a point, this thread has been pretty on topic (if only a bit severe in places) so asking for it to be locked (forgive me if I’m mistaken) I would say from your post that you are one of these people who has created a Necromancer without buying it in any form? Hence your defensive nature of the topic.
  • quadraxis666
    quadraxis666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for real though i think the lock until buy approach would be the best option for zo$. [removed inappropriate comment]
    Edited by ZOS_JesC on August 12, 2019 9:03PM
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

does this mean you still have access to the character?

not pursuant of a ban for you,
    but definitely down for no longer paying for this game if getting paid content for free is an available option instead
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • SweepsAllClowns
    SweepsAllClowns
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people *only* bought Elsweyr for the necro class and want nothing to do with the rest of the chapter. That means that some people paid $30 for something that other players are getting to keep for free even though it was obtained illegally, known or not.

Correct, I'll translate this situation: Some were dumb enough to actually pay for the necromancer class, next time be patient and wait for the moment to exploit legit way, you will get rewarded! Would think this is some sarcastic joke, but it's the sad reality. Everyone reading this thread knows exactly what's the correct decision with the similar situations in the future.

• Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Really? Really truly? You thought it was free with the patch when there had been NO mention of this anywhere and it would be utterly unprecedented in this game?

Nice try.

And assumption is the mother of all feck ups.
    Edited by Hallothiel on August 12, 2019 9:24PM